MS and Universal Collaborate to Release HDDVD using VC-1

LT1FUN

Superior Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.cardomain.com
I know just about everyone here is a Blu-Ray supporter, but I though this was worth posting anyways.

In my eye's, movie-studio's use of VC-1 is a step in the right direction. I'm a very big fan of the VC-1 codec as all the movies I have in my WMV-HD collection all look outstanding. Some, like Coral Reef adventure, have virtually no artifacts what so ever. Just about the cleanest images I've ever seen. What's more amazing is how well VC-1 can compress the video with literally no discernable side-effects. Some of my WMV-HD movies are over an hour's worth of 1080p on a single standard DVD. :shock:

thus far, all the HD-DVD titles released, have all used the VC-1 codec, which no doubt explains how awesome the picture quality has been on these movies and the fact that some of them, have nearly 4 hours of 1080p on a single disc.

This is great news and I honestly hope all movie studio's release their titles using this codec.

LAS VEGAS, April 24 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Today at the National Association of Broadcasters convention, NAB2006, Microsoft Corp. and Universal Pictures announced their collaboration on the release of next-generation HD DVD discs using VC-1, the video compression standard recently approved by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) and one of the mandatory codecs in the HD DVD specification. Universal will also use iHD for the interactive features of the new titles. The launch of HD DVD players and titles last week in the U.S. represents the first broad market availability of high-definition optical media for consumers.

As part of Universal's initiative to provide new digital entertainment experiences for consumers using the best solutions available, the studio is using VC-1 for its initial HD DVD titles, including "Serenity," "Doom," "Apollo 13," "The Bourne Supremacy," "U-571," "Van Helsing" and many more. Given the lower bitrate required with VC-1 to deliver pristine 1080p, high-definition movies, Universal will have room to spare within HD DVD's 30GB capacity for interactive features and other extras. With iHD, the studio is offering interactive menus that are overlaid on top of the movie and accessible without interrupting playback. Additional features, such as user-defined bookmarks that stay with the title, picture-in-picture commentaries, and network access to download new features and HD movies trailers, all access standard HD DVD features (secondary video decoder, network access and persistent storage).

"Universal looked for the ideal format for the delivery of high-definition content and found VC-1 to offer the quality that we needed for our titles," said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. "With plans to release a wide range of HD DVD titles, Universal also needed a flexible interactive layer that can scale to accommodate new features. This is a scenario where VC-1 and iHD came out far ahead of other technologies."

"As a technology and platform provider, Microsoft views Universal's commitment to VC-1, iHD and HD DVD as critical to delivering a consistent consumer experience across the consumer electronics and PC ecosystem," said Blair Westlake, corporate vice president of the Media, Content & Partner Strategy Group at Microsoft. "We share Universal's passion to offer the highest video quality and deliver amazing extras for this new format."

In addition to the Universal titles using VC-1, currently 100 percent of all the shipping HD-DVD titles from other studios in the U.S. are using the VC-1 codec as well.
http://www5.sys-con.com/read/210599.htm

hisame

Elite Guru
Dec 5, 2005
Humm, if I would rate all the Mpeg4 base codec.
Number 1 will be Divx, it is a best alrounded codec.
Fastest encode and decode, also the search reaction is the best.
Quality wise it is not the best but it very much matches WMV9.
Compression ratio is just a little lower then WMV9.
But it has the largest filter support.

WMV9 will be number 2 I suppose, it matches Divx in many area.
But losse out in a few, the wins did not make up for the lose.
Then it will be MKV, not a popular codec. But amazingly good for anime.
MKV is design for HD or Full HD anime compression.

Master

Elite Member
May 12, 2004
Electronic Arts has recently filed two trademarks for the use of “The Ripper” in a computer game or other ‘entertainment service.’ The title is likely a Visceral Games project, which was teased by an anonymous source from EA to the LA Times in July.

The new trademark applications were apparently filed by EA at the end of August, according to Superannaution. “The Ripper,” which would be based on the 19th century British serial killer, was originally spotted by Ben Fritz of the LA Times.

Fritz wrote that “two sources close to EA told The Times that Visceral’s next game would be Jack the Ripper, based on the 19th century British serial killer. It’s not clear what the game would involve, but it’s a natural follow-up of sorts to Dante’s Inferno, which is also based on copyright-free historical material.”

The concept of a game based on Jack the Ripper is certainly interesting, and we look forward to hearing more.