MS Officially Discontinues 360 HD DVD Player

MossadAgentO

Superior Member
Oct 17, 2007
Source
Gamer Score Blog said:
"As a result of recent decisions made by Toshiba, Hollywood studios, and retailers, Microsoft plans to withdraw from HD DVD. Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360, but we will continue to provide standard product and warranty support for all Xbox 360 HD DVD Players in the market. As we stated earlier, we do not believe this decision will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace. HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own."
I think this means the blu ray add on or a built in blu ray drive will be possible. They could allow now to have the games come out on blu ray now thus forcing people to buy a blu ray drive. Thoughts?

When posting news please put the actual news in quote tags please - PS4life

May 12, 2006
Fort Collins
www.whichwich.com
I don't see anywhere that hints the blu-ray drive is coming. All I see is:

HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own."
That just sounds like they don't even care about an add-on; that they want to move on with their plan of digital downloads.

G

Guilty-X-Shell

[QUOTE="MossadAgentO, post: 0]http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/02/23/HDDVDSupport.aspx
"As a result of recent decisions made by Toshiba, Hollywood studios, and retailers, Microsoft plans to withdraw from HD DVD. Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360, but we will continue to provide standard product and warranty support for all Xbox 360 HD DVD Players in the market. As we stated earlier, we do not believe this decision will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace. HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own."

I think this means the blu ray add on or a built in blu ray drive will be possible. They could allow now to have the games come out on blu ray now thus forcing people to buy a blu ray drive. Thoughts?[/quote]
They cant force people to do anything!

inToxic

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2008
Very misleading title. It actually says they won't offer anything blu-ray but will focus on Digital Distro. And still allow current DVD playing.

Oct 24, 2006
I don't think add-on's are good for consoles at all.

I also think something that will bring nothing to the table where games are concerned should be left on the drawing board. Spend the money/resources doing something that will make the games better!

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="EncoreEncore, post: 0]The title of the thread is just plain wrong as nowhere in that blog does it state MS has confirmed a Blu-ray add-on.....[/quote]
Agreed. I have edited the thread title to avoid confusion.

MossadAgentO

Superior Member
Oct 17, 2007
I only put blu ray drive confirmed because i thought it is the new sku that was rumored. And the 360 games are slowly loosing their graphical "oomph" and i think the blu ray disks will help that and allow for a ton bigger enviornments and to help make the system last a ton longer. Unless MS just plans to scrap the 360 in 2010 for the next system anyway since they are so money hungry and cancel total support for the 360.

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="MossadAgentO, post: 2531513]I only put blu ray drive confirmed because i thought it is the new sku that was rumored.[/quote]

I cant understand where you gleamed info from that blog about anything blu-ray or a SKU related..???:confused:

[QUOTE="MossadAgentO, post: 2531513]
And the 360 games are slowly loosing their graphical "oomph" and i think the blu ray disks will help that and allow for a ton bigger enviornments and to help make the system last a ton longer. Unless MS just plans to scrap the 360 in 2010 for the next system anyway since they are so money hungry and cancel total support for the 360.[/quote]

360 games are far from losing their graphical "oomph" if games like COD4, Bioshock, Mass Effect, PGR4 and up coming games like GTA4, Gears2, Too human and APB are anything to go by.... and blu-ray on the present 360 for games is not going to happen period.......but i do think that MS will have a new xbox with a new HD optical format some time in 2010/11...

Jan 15, 2007
[QUOTE="MossadAgentO, post: 0]Gears 2? come on now you saw a puppet show and your saying how good it looks? :rolleyes::shock:[/quote]

Gears of wars looks brilliant...so Gears 2 is already springboarding from a high bar, i can quite confidently say G2 will look just as good or even better that G2.....take that for what its worth.

Of course if you want to think epic are going to release a worse looking game than the original then by all mean do so...

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="MossadAgentO, post: 2531513]I only put blu ray drive confirmed because i thought it is the new sku that was rumored. And the 360 games are slowly loosing their graphical "oomph" and i think the blu ray disks will help that and allow for a ton bigger enviornments and to help make the system last a ton longer. Unless MS just plans to scrap the 360 in 2010 for the next system anyway since they are so money hungry and cancel total support for the 360.[/quote]

Microsoft is NOT going to change gaming media formats in mid-stream this gen. If Microsoft will not risk alienating 360 Arcade/Core users by not allowing devs to require a hard drive for games then they sure as hell are not going to alienate the entire existing 360 populous by requiring a add-on device for blu-ray games.

The Sith

Forum Sage
Nov 15, 2007
Dallas, Texas
[QUOTE="MossadAgentO, post: 2531513]I only put blu ray drive confirmed because i thought it is the new sku that was rumored. And the 360 games are slowly loosing their graphical "oomph" and i think the blu ray disks will help that and allow for a ton bigger enviornments and to help make the system last a ton longer. Unless MS just plans to scrap the 360 in 2010 for the next system anyway since they are so money hungry and cancel total support for the 360.[/QUOTE]

OMG!!!! I cant believe someone thinks blu-ray disk improves game systems graphically.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="The Sith, post: 0]OMG!!!! I cant believe someone thinks blu-ray disk improves game systems graphically.[/quote]

It does in the respect that more textures can be stored on the disk.

Oct 24, 2006
[QUOTE="LeisureSuitLarry, post: 0]It does in the respect that more textures can be stored on the disk.[/quote]
There's more to it than a texture.

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
i dont think they will add a blu-ray addon to the 360,the whole point of this war was to get more digital DL power,i doubt we will see any kid of MS addon player until they launch thier next console.

B

Bitmap Frog

[QUOTE="LeisureSuitLarry, post: 0]It does in the respect that more textures can be stored on the disk.[/quote]

Because dev houses aren't crumbling under the weight of the art assets budget already, right?

Anyways, good riddance!

skulpt

Master Guru
May 27, 2005
www.adigitaldreamer.com
Instead of adding a BR extenal drive, MS seriously needs to be looking at cheaper HDs and bigger ones to support HD movies and content they keep on saying is the future. They should drop the price of the 20gb Hard drive to $50, the 120gb to $100, and add a 320gb to the lineup for like $160 or something. MS is talking the "High Def download" talk, and yet most of the 360s out there have what? 16gb of space? Many movie owners own craploads of movies. They want to own them. Considering the sizes of HD movie downloads, the 360 userbase right now isn't ready for any kind of sizable movie collection. How many Elites are out there out of the 18M 360s? Maybe 3 million? And even 120gb isn't much if you want to download movies with the compression quality of HD DVD.

MS should either embrace BR, or at least start taking HD storage seriously. They need to upgrade the Premium Bundle to at least 80gbs, and the Elite to 200+gb now that they are down to HD movie downloads. Or for crying out loud MS. Just drop the MS branded drives and let people upgrade for 1/4th the price. It'll be way better for making money off of HD content. How many people are willing to get into HD movie owning if they first have to shell out $180 for a 120gb HD that is actually maybe $50?

Brian

dackingdog

Superior Member
Dec 13, 2007
1st time ever, in Best Buy, they brought out a stack load of 360 hd-dvd add-on on the shelf+ the employee
there was highly recommending to me to pick up it instead of SA players, happened few days ago.

firesale, "Here we go."

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="rikwakefield, post: 0]There's more to it than a texture.[/quote]

Sure....but we are talking about blu-ray. The only thing I can think of that blu-ray would contribute to graphics is more textures on the disk.

skulpt

Master Guru
May 27, 2005
www.adigitaldreamer.com
[QUOTE="skulpt, post: 0]Instead of adding a BR extenal drive, MS seriously needs to be looking at cheaper HDs and bigger ones to support HD movies and content they keep on saying is the future. They should drop the price of the 20gb Hard drive to $50, the 120gb to $100, and add a 320gb to the lineup for like $160 or something. MS is talking the "High Def download" talk, and yet most of the 360s out there have what? 16gb of space? Many movie owners own craploads of movies. They want to own them. Considering the sizes of HD movie downloads, the 360 userbase right now isn't ready for any kind of sizable movie collection. How many Elites are out there out of the 18M 360s? Maybe 3 million? And even 120gb isn't much if you want to download movies with the compression quality of HD DVD.

MS should either embrace BR, or at least start taking HD storage seriously. They need to upgrade the Premium Bundle to at least 80gbs, and the Elite to 200+gb now that they are down to HD movie downloads. Or for crying out loud MS. Just drop the MS branded drives and let people upgrade for 1/4th the price. It'll be way better for making money off of HD content. How many people are willing to get into HD movie owning if they first have to shell out $180 for a 120gb HD that is actually maybe $50?

Brian[/QUOTE]

Woah. Just 3 days later, www.next-gen.biz basically said what I said here point for point. ;)

And for multimedia in a wider sense, the 360 is not in a great position to take advantage of future developments: it has discontinued its HD-DVD drive in the wake of Blu-ray's victory, while the console’s inability to store the large amounts of data needed for a virtual library (without further expensive proprietary hard drives) is obvious.

...When the massmarket does move towards digital distribution, consumers will not want three-day film rentals, they will want to build a collection. The Xbox 360 simply cannot serve that function as it is.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9148&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=3

Brian