MS's new studio, Compulsion Games, just dropped ANOTHER dud. What are your hopes for their future with MS?

Jun 4, 2007
Contrast was a :poop: game. We Happy Few is another bad title coming from these guys.

What potential do you see in Compulsion games? Do you question the buy after We Happy Few?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
We happy few describes this game perfectly. 65 Average so far.

MS has one hell of a job on their hands making sure these guys get their shit together. Maybe that will come with the bigger budget. Who knows? If Shannon oversees them then I expect mediocre games. She sucks at her job.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I haven't played their games but it sounds like We Happy Few might have been trying to do too much gameplay-wise. They're praised for their concepts and narratives but not so much their gameplay (which was said to be overly glitchy in Contrast). That said, I think it's good to try something new but don't let it take time away from releasing a well-balanced, focused and good quality product.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
I have gotten pretty far now onto the game. The story is excellent. It's addicting to talk to the community when doing quests. The inventory is easy to manage and craft. I am still trying to figure out the best assignments for the D pad. The gameplay is excellent as well. There are occasional framerate hiccups/stutters that can be annoying. They said on reddit that there is another patch coming soon to address that.

I will post my final thoughts when I finish but so far so good!!

May 20, 2008
I have gotten pretty far now onto the game. The story is excellent. It's addicting to talk to the community when doing quests. The inventory is easy to manage and craft. I am still trying to figure out the best assignments for the D pad. The gameplay is excellent as well. There are occasional framerate hiccups/stutters that can be annoying. They said on reddit that there is another patch coming soon to address that.

I will post my final thoughts when I finish but so far so good!!
It’s nice to hear from someone who actually plays the game. Glad you are enjoying it.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
That's good to hear if she is enjoying it but I'm sure the critic reviews are based on actual playtime too.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
That's good to hear if she is enjoying it but I'm sure the critic reviews are based on actual playtime too.
They are based on actual playtime. Sadly, as noted by the developer of the game, some of the reviews that showed up on metacritic were actually Game Preview builds, which is a different game than the retail game. Different characters as well. In addition to that, many of the reviews are Day 0 reviews that the developer noted. Day 1 reviews recieved the Day 1 patch. Those that reviewed the day 0 build didn't get the day one patch, which addressed a lot of the stability issues (another patch coming).

Hey, dev here. Actually a couple of people have reviewed the old build, which we only realised because of their video content (game preview/early access).

If a review mentions Sally or Ollie, it's a pretty safe bet that it's about the current version. That being said, reviews out today are based off what we call the "day 0" version, which is not the release version. There are more bug fixes and performance optimizations in the release version.

Hey, dev here. That's it, yeah.

The procedural world allows us the freedom to focus on the set pieces, rather than hand craft every section of the world. If we had 3 times the people, we could have built a hand crafted world, but we don't.

Just fyi for people though, the survival elements can be turned off. I haven't seen this mentioned in the reviews so I'm guessing we didn't do a good enough job of explaining this either in the difficulty settings (it's built in to the easy setting and each difficulty can be customized to remove it) or in the guides we sent to the media.

We've just released the day 1 patch for PC for reviewers. There will be bugs, but this patch does fix a large number of them. Also, we're not aware of any game breaking bugs that break playthroughs, so we're interested to hear any that come up.

Link

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
The thing is, the critic reviews mention bad combat, boring stealth and poorly thought out mechanics which all have to do with gameplay while the developer is talking about the patch fixing bugs and performance.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
The thing is, the critic reviews mention bad combat, boring stealth and poorly thought out mechanics which all have to do with gameplay while the developer is talking about the patch fixing bugs and performance.
True, but some reviews praise the combat (and combat is recommended to be avoided according to the devs, they hope you play the game without violence if you can), they have praised the stealth as well as the mechanics. Just depends on the review you read.

The combat isn't like Tomb Raider or God of War. It isn't supposed to be. It is supposed to be a narrative game that gives you some combat as a last resort option. Stealth or running is their recommendation based on the story line. The stealth works VERY well in my experience. I am using stealth in the situations like 75% of the time (probably more).

It's best to go by experience when reviewing games IMO. If I went by reviews, I never would have bought Oure for my PS Pro. It received a 53 on metacritic, and it's one of my top 5 games last year and I 100% the game.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I know what you mean about going by experience. Off topic, but it's why Sleeping Dogs ended up being one of my favorite games, despite the unfair comparisons to GTA V. I would always say it felt more like an evolution of Bully in terms of combat and map design. It's actually why I stopped listening to Angry Joe, because I know people have a right to their own opinions but Sleeping Dogs is not a 6/10 game. Not only did I 100 percent it but I played all of the DLC too.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
I know what you mean about going by experience. Off topic, but it's why Sleeping Dogs ended up being one of my favorite games, despite the unfair comparisons to GTA V. I would always say it felt more like an evolution of Bully in terms of combat and map design. It's actually why I stopped listening to Angry Joe, because I know people have a right to their own opinions but Sleeping Dogs is not a 6/10 game. Not only did I 100 percent it but I played all of the DLC too.
I love hearing that. I wish more people did that. Many, not all, are too focused on what others think. I mean, it makes sense. Rotten Tomatoes, and the like. Be it games or movies. I do read reviews of movies and games. But I do more than just that. Sometimes I watch numerous trailers, sometimes I read reviews from users, sometimes I read reviews from critics (which in the end really are just users). Sometimes I go to Twitch/Mixer and watch the game being played. I am usually not too worried about spoilers. Game by game basis there too.

I look at Redbox reviews as a good example. I see people bitching about movies on there all the time. And in between their negative reviews, you get these people that post 5 star reviews and elaborate as to why they like it. If the trailer(s) look good, if I know the cast, if I know the premise, I can pretty much tell you if I am going to like it or not. So no matter the review, I will do my own research before I choose yay or nay.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think most of the 9/10s and 10/10s are suspect, to be honest, at least when it comes to long-running video game series.

For example, I'll see trailers for a new Far Cry and think it looks fun but I wouldn't play it for the story because half the time the dialogue sounds like it's trying too hard or it becomes repetitive (ever since that stupid definition-of-insanity monologue started trending with Far Cry 3). Or I'll see a new Legend of Zelda and think back to all of the times I played one of the games and every time I did, I could never bring myself to finish the game because I just didn't care enough about the story or characters, but people always say they're masterpieces.

Maybe I'm just too picky but I'm usually the "play games for the story or to get lost in the world" type of gamer. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it sucks being the odd one out sometimes but that's okay because you can't like everything.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Contrast was a :poop: game. We Happy Few is another bad title coming from these guys.
Your opinion. Many don’t see it as bad and reviews don’t say it’s bad.
What potential do you see in Compulsion games? Do you question the buy after We Happy Few?
question a buy based on a multiplatform game Microsoft had no hand in developing or publishing? What’s there to question? Should we have questioned sony’s buyout of the now closed Evolution and should we question Codemasters for taking them in because of Driveclub’s lack of success? Should we question SIE Japan who developed 2 knack games that scored 54 and 69 respectively on metacritic? Or is it we should only question things like this when it involves Microsoft?

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
We happy few describes this game perfectly. 65 Average so far.

MS has one hell of a job on their hands making sure these guys get their shit together. Maybe that will come with the bigger budget. Who knows? If Shannon oversees them then I expect mediocre games. She sucks at her job.
Killzone shadow fall got a 73 metacrtic.
It’s not a indication of what potential the studio has. Fully funded and resources, we will see how they go.

Loftis sucks.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside

played both games (Contrast on PS4 and xbox) and both are good games. sadly you being king fanboy will never see the trees for the forest.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
played both games (Contrast on PS4 and xbox) and both are good games. sadly you being king fanboy will never see the trees for the forest.
Those games sucked. MS bought the guys that made suckass games. It's not my fault. They're probably going to continue to make suckass games being that Matt Booty said that they were keeping some of these studios in the AA structure. Swallow it down. Swallowing is easy for someone like you.

59 average for Contrast
62 average for We Happy Few

Go bitch back in that hole you crawled out of. Your ass is burning due to MS. Don't get mad at me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
We all know what he’s about. Can’t say ms doesn’t have any 1st party studios anymore so its on to the next thing.
Xbox gamers will worry about compulsion games when he starts worrying about sony’s purchase of Gaikai. Im sure he had concerns when when SIE gave people knack and knack 2 which sits at 54 and 69 respectively on that same Metacritic. but hey, they turned out ok so ms should be just fine. Let’s see how they do with more resources available.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
We all know what he’s about. Can’t say ms doesn’t have any 1st party studios anymore so its on to the next thing.
Xbox gamers will worry about compulsion games when he starts worrying about sony’s purchase of Gaikai. Im sure he had concerns when when SIE gave people knack and knack 2 which sits at 54 and 69 respectively on that same Metacritic. but hey, they turned out ok so ms should be just fine. Let’s see how they do with more resources available.
I rate games I play, I don't let meteoritic rate my experience.