May 8, 2009
here my list of best games of 2016

my biggest disappoint games

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Agree with most everything. No Man's Sky was worth the money for me personally. Final Fantasy XV was a surprise hit. I really wasn't expecting much. I would add Watch Dogs 2 to the Best myself. Love that game.

Doom is my GOTY.

-Dj-

Veteran
May 8, 2009
doom had no real story but a great game just shooting things

mirror's edge beat no man skys because mirror edge was not fun at all.

steep is a full price game that failed to be better then a free to play game called snow (soon on ps4)

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Someone. Dislikes. Mirrors. Edge!

Jokes aside, that was one of my absolute favourite games of the year (kinda obvious tho). I also really like NMS. Found this planet a while back:

I need to get around to playing Doom though. I still need to finish Blood and Wine, and then i need to play Far harbour! Then maybe i'll get Doom done :snicker
I've heard the Doom soundtrack though! Sounds damn impressive!

-Dj-

Veteran
May 8, 2009
never played the ps3 mirrors edge but this one was soo boring

NMS was full of lies but it's good what we got

people think the disappointing list means the games are "bad"

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I loved The Division and Infinite Warfare. I do agree with No Man's Sky though.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
My best game this year was probably Ratchet & Clank, never played the original so this 'reboot' or 'reimagining' was new to me, loved the game! Honestly thought Uncharted 4 would get it for me, the game was great overall but didn't quite get that perfect from me, could even be something as trivial as them updating the theme music but I didn't quite get that same attachment.
Best VR game was EVE Valkyrie. Fairly short single player but come on, flying a space fighter in VR!!!!! What's not to like?
Most disappointed with Dishonored 2. The first didn't really hit the spot for me and I was hoping the second would from the positive reviews, but it was just more of the same. Maybe expectations were too high with this one.
On the VR side the most disappointing was Driveclub VR. I LOVE Driveclub as a game and I couldn't fault the immersion of the whole driving in VR thing, but the PS2 era graphics were a let down.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
I still need to play a bunch of the heavy hitters from this year, so I can't really make a list yet.

[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6524914]I need to get around to playing Doom though. I still need to finish Blood and Wine, and then i need to play Far harbour! Then maybe i'll get Doom done[/QUOTE]

I personally like to have two different games to currently play at a time, one being more of an in-depth, slower paced game (like an RPG) and the other being more of a fast-paced, immediate experience. Then I just pick whichever I'm in the mood for.

So that being said, I think rotating between Witcher 3 and DOOM would be a real hoot!

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
Single Player: Doom
Multiplayer: Battlefield 1
Worthy of Mention: The Last Guardian

All the other big games in 2016 were fun and awesome but these stood out as the biggest breathes of fresh air. Most of us knew UC4 and Rise of the TR were going to be good. Naughty Dog always comes through and Rise of the TR had been out for a year on XB1 already so we knew what to expect.

FF XV I haven't played yet so it wasn't up for my consideration.

COD MW Remastered multiplayer is just as fun, if not better than it was on PS3.

Bioshock Collection was my favorite HD remaster this year.

No Man's Sky didn't wow me nor let me down completely. I knew what I was buying when I got it and I'm happy that they're still patching and updating the game. I wasn't one of the folks who freaked out and got their money back. I've enjoyed many hours of NMS but it's certainly no GOTY.

It's not a 2016 title but I'm also impressed with the continued support for GTA V online. They're always adding new content, events, vehicles, etc...and the recent in-game snow which only happens this time of year is pretty cool. I had a blast playing GTA V online over Xmas break after having not played it in months. There's so much to do between the single player and multiplayer that it's still one of the best value games for PS4.

Last edited:

NameTaken33

Senior Editor
Oct 31, 2016
Austin, Tx
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6524922]I loved The Division[/QUOTE]

The division was great up until the end game. There was just nothing to do except either go to the PVP area or run the same dungeon over and over.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Here is my list.

Favorite games of 2016
Final Fantasy XV
Rise of the Tomb Raider
The Division
Uncharted 4
Dark Souls 3
The Bioshock Collection

Most disappointing games of 2016
Homefront: The Revolution
No Man's Sky
Mighty No.9
Doom (yes this one didn't do it for me. Lacked a good story and was repetitive as all hell. Doom 3 blows this game away)

Last edited:

Survival Horror

Superior Member
Jan 25, 2015
My favorite game for 2016 is Dark Souls 3, i cant say about worst for game like Tomb Raider, Mirror's Edge, Uncharted 4, Call Of Duty etc because are not my type. If i had to choose some would be No Man's Sky and The Division.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6524945]Doom (yes this one didn't do it for me. Lacked a good story and was repetitive as all hell. Doom 3 blows this game away)[/QUOTE]

Do you like Doom 1 and 2?

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6524958]Do you like Doom 1 and 2?[/QUOTE]

Doom 3 is a pretty awesome game but I think most who enjoy 1 and 2 (such as myself) are the ones who grew up with them when they originally came out. I also played Wolfenstein, Duke Nuke 'Em 3D, and Myst back in those days but always came back to Doom.

For me the new Doom really captures the best of all of them and rolls it into one big joint for us to smoke so to speak. ;)

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6524958]Do you like Doom 1 and 2?[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Doom 1 and 2. Although Duke Nukem 3D and Wolfenstein 3D were better in my opinion.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Wolf 3D is objectively not better than any of the Doom games.
Duke 3D can be said to be better than Doom 1 and 2 due to the interaction with the worlds and voice overs.
I played a heck of a lot more Duke 3D multi than DOOM multi with my friends. Tier drops is an excellent map.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Duke was years ahead. You had pipe bombs and holo dukes that made the game a masterclass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
I tried Duke 3D a few years ago, but I couldn't play it for more than a couple hours. It just felt like Doom with less fluid gameplay and a less interesting aesthetic (music, SFX, world).

Also, keep in mind that Duke 3D was released over two years after Doom. Then Quake came out a few months after that and set the new standard.