my mac screen bust HELP

bfd_josh

Urban Ethnic
Jun 26, 2008
Turtle walk HQ
www.theturtlewalk.com
right, well for a line my mac has had a couple of dead lines of pixels, i turned it on today however and a quarter of the screen was black, the colours had inverted and had lines everywere, basically its unusable, however just want to know if i buy a monitor and use it as an external display will this solve the problem or is it deeper? i cant be bothered fixing it as its the first intel imac to come out, and showing its age now, but i wouldnt like to get rid of it. thanks

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Yea that sounds like the screen itself is the issue. As far as I'm aware that doesn't make any sense to be a display adapter issue... it's pretty much all or nothing when it comes to a video card going.

If you don't want to get rid of it then an external display seems like your only option.

bfd_josh

Urban Ethnic
Jun 26, 2008
Turtle walk HQ
www.theturtlewalk.com
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 5187667]Yea that sounds like the screen itself is the issue. As far as I'm aware that doesn't make any sense to be a display adapter issue... it's pretty much all or nothing when it comes to a video card going.

If you don't want to get rid of it then an external display seems like your only option.[/QUOTE]

thanks gunna buy a cable and check with the living room tv see how it holds up then ill be buying a monitor, any recommendations?

[QUOTE="Tutankhamun, post: 5187802]If its not the GPU an external screen should work. You don't have Apple Care on that machine?[/QUOTE]

nope, its like 4/5 years old now so apple care has long gone and never bothered to reget, hoping the screen works, thanks guys

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
After that you have that adapter you just need an DVI-D cable that you can hook up to your monitor.

Here's an review of the cable on Apple's US site which is helpful:

After reading the helpful reviews, i did alot of research before buying any cables to hook up my macbook to an HP HDTV. Hopefully the following will help others with connection issues:

Investigate the PC input jack of your HDTV for 3 specifications:

1) TYPE OF DVI INPUT JACK. Most newer models have DVI-I or DVI-D input jacks. there is a difference between the two. you can tell which one you have by referring to your manual. if you don't have the manual, look at the jack itself and compare to pictures (link isn't allowed here, but datapro had clear pictures)

2) DUAL or SINGLE LINK. newer model HDTVs likely have the dual link inputs. refer to your manual or look at the jack and compare to pictures.

3) MALE OR FEMALE. ihad assumed that because the apple mini-DVI to DVI cable had a FEMALE DVI connector end, then my TV must have a MALE input jack. not true. my TV has a FEMALE DVI jack. So by default, I needed an adaptor cable for the mini-DVI to DVI cable.

after this, i determined that i had a DUALLINK DVI-I FEMALE input jack. NOTE that the mini-DVI to DVI cable, not pictured online at apple.com, has a FEMALE DUAL LINK DVI-D connector end.

so I bought the apple mini-DVI to DVI cable & a DVI-D to DVI-D male/male connector cable, connected the cables to their respective hardware input jacks, and it all worked.

FYI, i got the DVI-D to DVI-D male/male connector cable instead of a DVI-D to DVI-I male/male connector cable, because i couldn't find the latter. Luckily, because my TV had a FEMALE input jack, it could take a DVI-D male (just the way the input jacks are designed).

Hope this helps.

Kyaw

Master Sage
Jul 30, 2008
Get the one Tut posted. It should work.

Also the one i posted is possibly the best you can get within your budget and also OCUK is a trusted website as i've bought loads of parts from them before.

Tutankhamun

Ultimate Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
twitter.com
[QUOTE="Kyaw, post: 5188638]Get the one Tut posted. It should work.

Also the one i posted is possibly the best you can get within your budget and also OCUK is a trusted website as i've bought loads of parts from them before.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the monitor you posted seemed good to my eyes!