My new toy

rblanshard

Superior Member
Apr 30, 2008
Dallas
Had it delivered Wednesday.

View attachment 489 View attachment 490

2010 IS250. Matador red with Ecru leather interior, automatic tranny with wheel mounted paddle shifters, 18" graphite gray rims, Sat/nav system (which is brilliant), Bluetooth/iPhone integration.

I'm leaning towards two mods:

Carbon fiber grill cover: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Exterior/IS250-2010-98.html

and a carbon fiber rear spoiler: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Exterior/IS250-2010-99.html

I think those hints of black on the red would look f-ing sweet.

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
Nice. Love the IS series.

I would've been +tempted+ to go with the manual 6-speed, bit I understand the perks of an auto in a sedan.

Great color too, people are usually 'skeered' to go with a more intense color in a luxury car. Those carbon accent pieces with the right wheels could be very awesome, though CF is always a little border line ricey,

rblanshard

Superior Member
Apr 30, 2008
Dallas
[DT];5083190 said:
Nice. Love the IS series.

I would've been +tempted+ to go with the manual 6-speed, bit I understand the perks of an auto in a sedan.

Great color too, people are usually 'skeered' to go with a more intense color in a luxury car. Those carbon accent pieces with the right wheels could be very awesome, though CF is always a little border line ricey,

Boom. That's what I wanted to hear. +Rep.

Over on one of the IS forums I recently joined, everyone's telling me to get the CF and I'm just not sold on it. While I do think it could look good, it's just not me I'm just not going to go that direction. I do want the spoiler, but I'll go with the matching body color.

I really wanted the manual transmission, but they couldn't find one for me and this one was a freaking steal. It had everything else, and I really wanted the red. It drives like a go-cart and is the funnest car I've ever driven.

rblanshard

Superior Member
Apr 30, 2008
Dallas
[QUOTE=".RAID3N., post: 5083387]So I take it you'll be doing plenty of power-sliding...?[/QUOTE]

So far, only once. A new feature to this year's model is a button that turns off the traction control. Before you had to do a pedal dance in a certain order to turn off the t/c.

While playing with that button the other night, I turned it off and took a left turn through a bit of rain water. Scared the holy crap out of me. Got it out of sorts but was able to correct and keep on going.

From the outside, I'm sure I looked like a pro. Inside the car, I was screaming like a little girl!

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
[QUOTE="rblanshard, post: 5083308]
Over on one of the IS forums I recently joined, everyone's telling me to get the CF and I'm just not sold on it. While I do think it could look good, it's just not me I'm just not going to go that direction. I do want the spoiler, but I'll go with the matching body color.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, once you start with carbon, it's easy to overdo it, plus you have to (IMO) do enough to make a design element and not just something tossed on the car.

I've been sort of actively avoiding it on my ride, choosing body colored lip/wing to keep it very OEM looking (actually those parts are in fact OEM :) ). I almost had a nice carbon hood from Top Secret, where the owner had chosen to paint it body color, but left the vents as exposed carbon (with clear coating) which was a nice touch. It was destroyed in shipping, so we'll never know how it would've looked :D (and might have been the carbon slippery slope...)

I'd like to see the interior, I bet it looks fantastic, especially with your exterior color.

I had a GS300 a few years ago as my DD. I had wheel and minor suspension work (L-tuned setup), but otherwise stock. The Lexus experience is top notch, the level of service was simply outstanding.

rblanshard

Superior Member
Apr 30, 2008
Dallas
[DT];5084217 said:
I'd like to see the interior, I bet it looks fantastic, especially with your exterior color.
Ask and you shall receive. Just snapped these with the iPhone:
View attachment 497 View attachment 498

They're not the best, but you get an idea of the color contrast. The espresso wood is really good looking and I like the sliver accents on the door handles.

Last edited:

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="rblanshard, post: 5083418]So far, only once. A new feature to this year's model is a button that turns off the traction control. Before you had to do a pedal dance in a certain order to turn off the t/c.

While playing with that button the other night, I turned it off and took a left turn through a bit of rain water. Scared the holy crap out of me. Got it out of sorts but was able to correct and keep on going.

From the outside, I'm sure I looked like a pro. Inside the car, I was screaming like a little girl![/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3obxPwn6QE

rblanshard

Superior Member
Apr 30, 2008
Dallas
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 5084597]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3obxPwn6QE[/QUOTE]

This was me during my slide:

View attachment 500

[QUOTE="Danny2304, post: 5084625]What other cars are there in the same price range?

Just wondering why you chose a lexus over a BMW or Merc.[/QUOTE]

With the options I have on the car, the BMW 3 series and Merc C300 were right my wheelhouse. But I was given a HEAVY discount. My car was built for someone else with the Sat/Nav and other premium options. He never took delivery. The dealership was just wanting to get the car off their lot and, more importantly, off their books. So, basically, they discounted the cost of the premium package and I got one hell of a deal. I got a top tier car for a base option cost. Right place...right time.

If not for the discount, I just prefer the way the Lexus handles over the BWM or Merc. In my opinion, it's a difference between how the Germans and Japanese design their cars. Given I've had a pretty good experience driving the 3 series and C Class on track (not to mention Audi and Porsche) the Germans design car safety in making their cars feel tied to the ground. Like you're driving a 2,000 pound tank. Nothing wrong with that, very solid.

The Japanese design safety philosophy is different - they build their cars like ninjas. Quick and nimble.

I did an Audi driving school about a year back with about 25 other guys. We were comparing the A5 to the C300, BMW 3 series, and the IS250. At the end of the class, out of all the drivers and all the cars, I set the fastest time on-track in the IS250 and was the only one who preferred the Lexus to the others.

And finally, above all else, I REALLY like how the Lexus looks. It looks like it's going fast when it's parked in my driveway.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Danny2304, post: 5084625]What other cars are there in the same price range?

Just wondering why you chose a lexus over a BMW or Merc.[/QUOTE]

Because the c class is just meh (except for the amg version which is just a brutal muscle car masquerading as a euro compact) and the 3 series is long in the tooth. Also the lexus cars are generally more reliable, slightly cheaper to maintain, have better fit and finish and better resale value.

Having said that I vastly prefer the look/design ov the previous gen IS (Altezza) over the current gen IS. ( the isf is a bit of an improvement though)

Cars in that range are the c class, 3 series, infiniti g37 , acura tsx, lexus is, audi a4, volvo s40, and saab 9-3 and caddy cts.

Last edited:

[DT]

Forum Guru
May 1, 2008
Vilano Beach, FL
[QUOTE="rblanshard, post: 5084723]
With the options I have on the car, the BMW 3 series and Merc C300 were right my wheelhouse.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was going to say the BMW 328 and Merc C300 are pretty comparable, at least in terms of general features, price point, etc.

After having had 3 BMWs, I'm not in a rush to own another, mainly because of the service and dealer location (in my area). Merc just doesn't really appeal to me at all (more of a psychological issue vs. actual objective metrics). Like I said above, the Lexus experience was pretty outstanding for me (and I'm also a big Toyota fan).

[QUOTE="rblanshard, post: 5084723]
I did an Audi driving school about a year back with about 25 other guys.[/QUOTE]

Fun! I do about 3 or so HPDEs a year, with a couple of AXs, mostly tracks around the Southeast like Roebling, Sebring, etc.

rblanshard

Superior Member
Apr 30, 2008
Dallas
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 5084809]Having said that I vastly prefer the look/design ov the previous gen IS (Altezza) over the current gen IS. ( the isf is a bit of an improvement though)[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough, the last new car I bought (for the ex-wife) was the 1st gen IS (Altezza). When it came out, I loved the look of the IS300. It too was a blast to drive. But then the new IS came out, I fell in love. I think the 250 much better looking and I don't remember the 300 being this fun to drive. Maybe because she wouldn't let me take it out, but still.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="rblanshard, post: 5084825]Oddly enough, the last new car I bought (for the ex-wife) was the 1st gen IS (Altezza). When it came out, I loved the look of the IS300. It too was a blast to drive. But then the new IS came out, I fell in love. I think the 250 much better looking and I don't remember the 300 being this fun to drive. Maybe because she wouldn't let me take it out, but still.[/QUOTE]

The new IS is too edgy for my tastes. I don't like the sharp lines of the design, especially the front with its sharp headlights and grille. The altezza has a nice defined look that isn't so blatant. It stood out from its peers without going off on a crazy tangent.

It seems I'm a sucker for the old designs of the various marques that exist. i.e. altezza, last ls430 generation, W140/220, E38, E39, F355, F456, 1st gen 2nd revision viper, ect.

C

Cylore

[QUOTE="rblanshard, post: 5083160]Had it delivered Wednesday.

2010 IS250. Matador red with Ecru leather interior, automatic tranny with wheel mounted paddle shifters, 18" graphite gray rims, Sat/nav system (which is brilliant), Bluetooth/iPhone integration.

Carbon fiber grill cover: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Exterior/IS250-2010-98.html

and a carbon fiber rear spoiler: http://is.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Exterior/IS250-2010-99.html

I think those hints of black on the red would look f-ing sweet.[/QUOTE]

sic car man...

C

Cylore

[QUOTE="rblanshard, post: 5083160]Had it delivered Wednesday.

I think those hints of black on the red would look f-ing sweet.[/QUOTE]

sic car man...