My Playstation VR Review

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007

Setting up the PlayStation VR is not difficult to do. Everything is numbered and is very obvious as to what plugs in to what. However, there is a lot to plug in........

I spent a good 30-45 minutes trying to neatly plug everything in so there were not cables all over the place. There will be one large cable going from the VR processing box to the VR headset. It is heavy and does add weight to the headset if you do not clip the cable to hip of your pants or something similar.

Once plugged in everything is done. The headset will perform a quick update and you are ready for VR.
My bundle came with 2x PS Move remotes and syncing those up to the PS4 is no different than the DS4 controller. These are must to fully enjoy the VR experience.

Sadly I found out that I can not use my Sony Gold headset with my VR headset without plugging it directly in to the PS VR. Wireless will not work.....

I found the sweet spot for me is to sit in a chair roughly 5ft away from the PlayStation Camera which is set under my TV about waist high. This gives me a flawless experience where the camera can easily detect if I lean forward, back, or side to side. This simply gives you the complete feeling that you are really in the world you are visiting.

The PS Move controllers also work very well with games like The London Heist and Batman VR. The pressure sensitive triggers give you the sensation that the hands you see are yours. There are times when I actually forget that can of soda or cigar is not real. I literally tried to put them to my mouth realizing they aren't there.

The PS VR headset is very comfortable. Sony did an amazing job designing this thing.

Anyone trying the PS VR headset for the first time really needs to play the PlayStation VR Worlds game first. This is 5 games in one, and it delivers the full VR experience in a great way. This honestly should have been packed in with all PS VR headsets and not just the bundle.

Overall I give the PlayStation VR an 8/10. I was worried that the games at launch would not allow you to fully appreciate the potential of VR, but thankfully there are some games that shine.

[video=youtube;yFnciHpEOMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFnciHpEOMI[/video]

[video=youtube;kEULnm5oPks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEULnm5oPks[/video]

[video=youtube;EL3svUfC8Ds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL3svUfC8Ds[/video]

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think the only thing that might break the immersion are the disembodied hands and seeing them clip through other people. Especially during face-to-face moments.

I'm guessing the clipping is intentional since there would be no resistance in the real world while you play. Or they could have programmed different ways for the person in front of you to react but they didn't because it probably would have taken too long.

Maybe you see disembodied hands because it's only your head and hands being tracked?

Nonetheless, I'm excited for VR gaming experiences. Although the ones I've seen so far, like Batman: Arkham VR and The London Heist (PlayStation VR Worlds), look to be guiding the player through different scenes, I'm hoping we get more freedom in future VR games.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
Clipping in the VR experiences does break immersion, but it can be fun, too. In "Here they lie" you can look through almost any wall just by walking up to it and bending forward. I did it a lot in my playthrough. Some VR games just make the screen go dark when you do that, though... That's no fun.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6522262]Clipping in the VR experiences does break immersion, but it can be fun, too. In "Here they lie" you can look through almost any wall just by walking up to it and bending forward. I did it a lot in my playthrough. Some VR games just make the screen go dark when you do that, though... That's no fun.[/QUOTE]

Clipping is in all forms of VR. Gear VR, Rift, Vive, they all have clipping issues.

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
I agree. I picked it up the day of launch and honestly, I'm blown away. I picked up about 7 games for it. I Already had 2 move controllers and a navigation control and charging base as well as the camera, so all I needed was the core unit. I still can't believe how cool this thing is. The shark attack was amazing. I was actually scared! and the scale of the shark is so realistic. That's as close as I ever want to be to a Great White. I bought Eve Valkyrie, Rush of blood, VR worlds, Eve Gunjack, Here they lie, Batman VR and The Something Experiment. Also the Kitchen Resident Evil 7 demo is insanely creepy! To sum it up, Well worth the price IMO. Can't wait for the Star Wars and Infinite Warfare Jackal VR in a few weeks and also Robinson's Journey!

Enjoy!

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6522262]Clipping in the VR experiences does break immersion, but it can be fun, too. In "Here they lie" you can look through almost any wall just by walking up to it and bending forward. I did it a lot in my playthrough. Some VR games just make the screen go dark when you do that, though... That's no fun.[/QUOTE]
Does "Here They Lie" happen to be set in an all-female college filled with pillow fights and other sexy hijinks? Now that's a VR experience I can get behind.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6522285]Does "Here They Lie" happen to be set in an all-female college filled with pillow fights and other sexy hijinks? Now that's a VR experience I can get behind.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is a brothel halfway through the game if you're into furries who do meth and heroin and have unnatural attraction to old CRT TV sets, so... Have fun.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think I have to write my own review - it'll be a tad too "glass half empty" even for my taste. Bullet points!:

-PSVR is a really cool piece of hardware.
-The ecosystem that binds everything together doesn't have the same level of quality to it, but it does a good enough job.
-PSVR in general has an awesome potential, which of Arkham VR is a great example.
-VR gives me eyestrain. PSVR is no exception.
-PSVR needs better Move-tracking for THOSE future awesome game experiences.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
I am having a ton of fun with mine and Eve:Valkyrie has become a serious unbreakable addiction for me!

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6522312]I don't think I have to write my own review - it'll be a tad too "glass half empty" even for my taste. Bullet points!:

-PSVR is a really cool piece of hardware.
-The ecosystem that binds everything together doesn't have the same level of quality to it, but it does a good enough job.
-PSVR in general has an awesome potential, which of Arkham VR is a great example.
-VR gives me eyestrain. PSVR is no exception.
-PSVR needs better Move-tracking for THOSE future awesome game experiences.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am really happy with it so far. Having had a decent amount of time with it, I do see the potential. Btw, did you mess with the brightness settings for inside the headset? As I get eyestrain too, I turned it basically down to like less than 25%. By default it is at max brightness.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Sir_Scud, post: 6522361]Yeah I am really happy with it so far. Having had a decent amount of time with it, I do see the potential. Btw, did you mess with the brightness settings for inside the headset? As I get eyestrain too, I turned it basically down to like less than 25%. By default it is at max brightness.[/QUOTE]
I've definitely turned it down a notch. Maybe to 60 percent.

Using glasses seemed to help as well, although I'm not legally obligated to use prescription glasses for driving.

THE FORS

Apprentice
Jan 26, 2006
Really enjoying the whole VR experience as I had it bought me without me previously trying it

How cool is Batman VR

One gripe though....in cinematic mode (medium) I noticed that the screen needed calibrating back to centre via options button every minute or so as it slightly veered to the left making it off centre every now and again......just so you know I was away from the cameras view (as not sure why it needs the camera to track you as all internal I believe.....or does it??) by about the length of the VR cable which is about at a guess 15ft

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="THE FORS, post: 6522639]Really enjoying the whole VR experience as I had it bought me without me previously trying it

How cool is Batman VR

One gripe though....in cinematic mode (medium) I noticed that the screen needed calibrating back to centre via options button every minute or so as it slightly veered to the left making it off centre every now and again......just so you know I was away from the cameras view (as not sure why it needs the camera to track you as all internal I believe.....or does it??) by about the length of the VR cable which is about at a guess 15ft[/QUOTE]

The camera tracks where you are in the VR world. It detects if you are moving closer or further away.

15ft seems quite far to be sitting. I sit 7ft away from my camera and I pretty much never have to recalibrate the screen.

THE FORS

Apprentice
Jan 26, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6522641]The camera tracks where you are in the VR world. It detects if you are moving closer or further away.

15ft seems quite far to be sitting. I sit 7ft away from my camera and I pretty much never have to recalibrate the screen.[/QUOTE]

Ah wasn't sure if it still needed the camera in cinematic mode....so when screen is set to small screen and doesn't need head tracking does it need to be close to the camera then, cos it basically just becomes a 'viewer' as as far as I can tell no tracking is need as the screen is static to wherever you are viewing....try it and you'll see what I mean??

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="THE FORS, post: 6522643]Ah wasn't sure if it still needed the camera in cinematic mode....so when screen is set to small screen and doesn't need head tracking does it need to be close to the camera then, cos it basically just becomes a 'viewer' as as far as I can tell no tracking is need as the screen is static to wherever you are viewing....try it and you'll see what I mean??[/QUOTE]

Cinematic mode does not need the camera... Or, at least, I don't think it uses the camera, because only the back two lights turn on, not the front lights.

I have to recalibrate cinematic mode all the time, too, but I always watch it on Large. I think on medium and small, this isn't an issue.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[FONT=&quot]having just set up and spending some 4 hours or so with it. there is certainly a constant "WOW" factor when using with the right games/demo's, but all games really need demos so you can see if your going to get affected by Nausea as there is no way i'm going to drop £40+ on something that might make me feel ill..[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]gameplay wise the worst i've tried so far is easily the Driveclub demo, the graphics are such a let down and poor draw distance spoils the racing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the only game i've suffered nausea with so far is a VR platform game demo (cant think its name) that looks and plays fantastically until i'm moving into the screen and then nausea kicks in.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carnival Games VR was the game that made me (well the wife) buy PSVR and it is an ok experience for me, although she loves it so far.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]the kit took me about 15 mins or so to put together, but may take longer depending on how your PS4 setup is. For me, the thing will just stay connected to my PS4 all the time with the headset sat beside my PS4 when not in use. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This does of course mean that when i "move" over to Pro that i'll be missing out on the HDR side of gaming as i'll not be unplugging this every time i want to play a normal game unless there is some way to fit [/FONT][FONT=&quot]an HDMI splitter.[/FONT]