My Playstation Vue review

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Today I downloaded Playstation Vue, and used my old West Chicago zip code. New York, Chicago, and Philly are the only cities that offer channels as of right now. So basically I get to watch whatever folks in Chicago are able to watch.

The picture quality is great, and there was no waiting when switching channels. The layout is also very nice and easy to use.

I believe this service uses a cloud based DVR system as it will save your shows for 28 days. These are saved under "Your Shows" from within PS Vue. You can also save your favorite channels as you would with any other provider.

There are 3 packages priced from $50-$70.

Personally I feel the prices are a bit steep right now. It is literally $1 per channel. But if you do not have any cable service, this is not bad. I was streaming the TV service while on my laptop, doing voice chat on my PS4, and my son on his XB1. I noticed no quality loss in the picture.

Last edited:

Felix336

Apprentice
Jun 26, 2005
I've been using it for a couple days now with the 7 day trial. It works pretty well and there's a good amount of channels. So far I haven't had any issues with the picture/streaming quality, it basically performs about as well as Netflix, maybe a little faster in terms of starting a show. The DVR/favoriting thing is nice too, although it's basically just a cloud version of recording/season pass on Tivo and similar boxes. Finally, the interface is very clean in fast.

Probably my only real complaint is that fast forwarding/rewinding is kind of annoying because it goes to a black screen so you don't really know where to stop. I don't know if there's a button/function I'm missing but I haven't found a good solution for that yet.

In the end it's not much cheaper (if at all) compared to cable (for me). Although that obviously depends on your current package. So I probably won't be switching after the trial. But if it comes down in price or starts offering channels individually then I definitely would. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it works and it's quite promising. Although I assume someone like Netflix or Amazon will do something similar so I don't know if Sonys iteration will be a long term thing.