My thoughts on the Final Fantasy series' legacy and future

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Why does renewing the series have to equal moving away from a strategic, deep battles, open for timely and thought out decision making, and towards real-time combat? Why move away from party controls and over to single hero control scheme?

Why try to translate games to both japanese and western audiences (thematically, not language wise)?

And for the love of all things.. Stop with the repeated and re-repeated one-liners, comments and taunts! You achieved it in FFX, SE. Why can't you do the same in XV?

I thougth I'd leave the OP as open as possible (despite the last paragraph), and answer them in my own post below. I invite you to do the same.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
-There is always a market for turn-based and semi-turnbased games and the series had always been about that, up until its peak.

It's like they're only catering to the lowest common denominator of attention span and ease of access.

-They don't translate very well imo, so: a) don't - and cater to either the one or the other, and; b) either use western actors and producers for motion capture, or try to be more neutral in the way your actors act out their performances. (I find japanese culture and thoughts very inspiring. Japanese mannerism, especially in youths, not so much)

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
I can understand your frustration with the series as well plus high expectations as well as technology effecting it a lot such as put more effort on motion capture and facial expressions nowdays.
I too miss the turned based days as well as more of an intriguing setting like from FF1 to FFX especially with the audience
shift which started with FF7. To the more modernized FF big swords,gunblades etc.

As much as I don't mind real time games I would love a current gen turned based FF but they put games on phones to try and cater
to the old FF fans.

I guess the internet has changed over time as well so that affects it as well.
I lost my interest over Versus and the long development times of the recent main entries as well as the games not being as good but im sort of happy at trying out FFXV since the recent footage looks better and tried the demo it was ok.

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Glad to see I don't stand alone among the forum dwellers. FFXV Hype Train has already passed for me, so if I'm getting it later, it'll be because I'm proven wrong *and* stupid!

I'm thankful for games like World of Final Fantasy, but I'd like to see more serious attempts to cater to the old fans, in the future.

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6509323]...[/QUOTE]
- Real-time combat can be just as strategic, if not more strategic, than a classic turn based system. It's like comparing a chess match with every move being timed to a chess match with no type of limit. To address your control scheme aspect you are free to go play the entire FFXII game without the usage of gambits or pause aspect, and you'll find out quickly that it ends up being a ton of micro-managing. In short the strategy is there, it just may not be YOUR type of strategy. I'm actually working on a FFXV related video atm, hence why I haven't been active on here.

- FF titles have been taking a more western approach since at least FFVII. Neither audience represents the whole fan base.

- FFXV is a serious attempt to cater to old fans as there are quite a few aspects that some of the old fan base enjoyed in past titles. The reality is that it does't cater to YOU specifically. Even in that regard, there are a good number of old fans looking forward to the title. You just aren't one of them.

Overall you have your head wrapped so much around an idea, that you are unable to even see if said idea will turn out efficient or not. It would be like if I said to you I'd like to become a basketball player even though you've known I've only done track all of my life. Instead of you having the mentality of seeing how efficient I am at said sport before judgement, you instantly believe I will fail because you have been conditioned to only knowing me doing track.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6509782]Glad to see I don't stand alone among the forum dwellers. FFXV Hype Train has already passed for me, so if I'm getting it later, it'll be because I'm proven wrong *and* stupid!

I'm thankful for games like World of Final Fantasy, but I'd like to see more serious attempts to cater to the old fans, in the future.[/QUOTE]

Yes its good that they are bringing stuff such as World of Final Fantasy as well as I Am Setsuna since they haven't done anything old school turned based for consoles for a while. If you have a PS2 or ever get the chance to play Shadow Hearts 2 its one amazing JRPG with some awesome turned based mechanics.

Here's a video to show a example

[video=youtube;bmYeHdwOpfo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmYeHdwOpfo[/video]

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Removed some bad grammer from the OP.

AsterPhoenix, haven't played Shadow Hearts 2, and I can't promise anything any time soon. But I will definitely look to support 'I Am Setsuna' and World of Final Fantasy.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
I have been a lifelong Final Fantasy fan. Like many, FFVII is what got me into the series. It really got me into RPGs in the first place as well. So I would go back through old Final Fantasy games and then the new ones. By the time X came out, the style started to change but really maybe I had changed. I still liked XII years later, but I came to understand the series would never go back to the games of my childhood. Each iteration would be doing something new.

Old Final Fantasy games are not as engaging to someone who did not grow up with that style of game with turn based action, and it also does not appeal to as massive of an audience. Not to mention as technology improves, that kind of system would be archaic to a newer gamer. Someone who has never played an RPG who was in my shoes when I played VII for the first time, would not fall in love with a game set up like that today. Something like the Witcher would more likely catch their eye.

Battle systems, technology, interests, they all change. Even with what they are trying to do nowadays, they aren't looking to make a new FF game and then years later another one, they are creating an entire world of Final Fantasy XV with multiple different types of media associated with the game. It is a spectacle, and because of that, the series that we all knew is going to continue to evolve and change as time goes on.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think part of the problem is that many people, at least those browsing internet forums, view action-RPGs no differently than hack-and-slash games, as though it's some kind of gaming taboo with western audiences to view a Japanese game that doesn't remain "true to its roots". Ironically, not many people seem to care about other turn-based games in the genre; it's mostly only a big deal when discussing the Final Fantasy series.

Personally, I think it's more important to see consistency in a series through the type of gameplay options available (e.g. riding a chocobo and flying an airship) whereas gameplay battles can try something new so long as they're easy to manage. I mean, in many ways, Final Fantasy XV sounds like any other Final Fantasy as it involves a party of young, attractive people traveling a world with monsters, magic, chocobos and some important crystal(s).

I dunno, maybe it's because I haven't played an RPG in months, but I'm totally open to trying out some of the games Square Enix are putting out this generation. Overall, I think it's healthier to move on from our more nostalgic expectations unless most of what you're seeing from a new game seriously offends you.

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6509826]Removed some bad grammer from the OP.

AsterPhoenix, haven't played Shadow Hearts 2, and I can't promise anything any time soon. But I will definitely look to support 'I Am Setsuna' and World of Final Fantasy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the game is hard to find nowdays you can get it of amazon as well as finding a cheap ps2. Yup im interested in both those as well there's a stream for Setsuna think its today or tomorrow.

Yeah after FFX for me I over time came to realise the series won't be good as it used to be I never admitted it at the time I was mad fan of the series. Think lot of people were angry over the whole XIII to 360 but after the game released lot of people got over it and it started to change from there plus lot of people started to realize after that and expectations have changed over time even to having no expectations.

Think a lot of it for me is just growing up and seeing the world itself in a different light compared to then. Now days lot of it is about big publishers money and lot of developers don't have the resources like they did in the PS2 days. Plus I think the lack in turn based games in the PS3 generation itself which caters more to FF style games only one I could think of is Lost Odyssey.

Some games just look the same nowdays to me realistic visuals etc they more like Hollywood movies. Played Symphonia as well like a year ago finally and the English cast for that game was better than FFX in my opinion. Tried a lot of other JRPGs and that changed my perspective of FF entirely. I like both turn based and action JPRGs

Some games can have the best technology and resources but not many of them can write a decent story.

Jun 1, 2016
US
Still reading the rest of the article, but Bravely Default I think also largely benefited from an incredible amount of word-of-mouth. Twitter and podcasts were rife with conversation for the two months or so leading up to it. It was kind of surprising actually, you just couldn't escape it for a while. I'm glad though, it's a great game.