My thoughts on Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and PC Gaming

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
So... I've just bought a PS4 Pro. I had a regular PS4 for a while now but the only title I played on it was The Last of US since it ended on my son's room ever since i finished that game, so I'm basically a newcomer. I bought the Xbox One X on December and been gaming on PC for some years now, my current card being GTX 1080. I love all 3 platforms and I'm glad I can use them all. If it serves for anyone, I will share my thoughts on each of them, trying to summarize them in terms of advantages/disadvantages.

PC:

Ok, we know the PC is potentially the platform with the most brute force, can move more pixels/fps with the right hardware etc but there's much more going on for PC Gamers.

Advantages:

You can definitely get the best deals on PC games by quite far. Sure consoles also have deals going on here and there, but the best deals are on PC. You can even buy games on eBay for cheap, even at launch, taking advantage of the currency exchange which makes games more affordable in other regions. I've bought Ni No Kuni II for US$49 (US$59 on consoles) and there's also people selling their game codes that come with videocards for cheap.

Performance: If you got the money, you can get the best performance on PC, in terms of load times (SSD) and visuals. It might look as the best option ever, but lets look at disadvantages.

Peripherals: Xbox Controllers? Dual Shock? Custom Controllers? 7.1 Headphones? Wireless Mouse & Keyboard? Monitors with Free Sync... Yes... you can play games with any of those on PC. It can be tricky to set up sometimes though and it wont always work as desired. PC Gaming requires patience.

Games: PC Gaming is growing and big names like FF and Dragon Quest are starting to land on it (or going back) Piracy is starting to lose territory in PC Gaming thanks to this, constant updates and quality DLCs.

Disadvantages.

Messy Performance: You can have the best hardware ever made, and certain games will just not run well. Bad performance have plagged PC Gaming for a long time and while it's not as bad as it used to be, it's still there. AMD users are specially impacted by their inconsistent drivers.

Configuration can be a b** ... If you want to have HDR + DTS Sound from a PC you better prepare to suffer. In most cases, HDR needs to be enabled under Windows every time you want to lunch a game. I will make desktop and all other programs look washed out and dimmed. For sound it gets even more interesting. I've tried 7.1 Headphones and it would usually be my pick. If you want to use your Home Theater at its best, you will need to make changes in your configuration, depending on your hardware, and change it again if you want to watch a movie with passthrough sound. Also, Atmos for Headphones doesn't work well with 7.1 headphones, they actually sound better without Atmos in my case.

¡BIG!... Have a PC in your room and want to game with your friends on the living room? Forget about it. Not only the size and weight of it will prevent you from that, but you most likely will have quite a chunk of cables connected to it.

¡Expensive! You can buy 2 or 3 Xbox One X with the money you will spend on a powerful PC. It's gotten horrible these months due to crypto currency which has skyrocketed GPUs prices. Whereas this is probably the best time to be a PC Gamer, it's definitely the worst time to become one. On the bright side... once you've build up a good rig, you can just sell you GPU and buy a new one for "cheap" and if you've chosen wisely (aka. future proof) it can last you at least 6 years without having to upgrade the other components.

Online: No centralized online service. You have friends here and there, depending on the publisher of the games you use. That sucks.

In conclusion... PC Gaming is not for everyone. It can be messy, it can be frustrating... some games don't even feature HDR on PC while they do on consoles (Gears of War, Resident Evil 7) and it require quite a lot of effort and knowledge to have a well running rig that doesn't mess the gaming experience.

PS4 Pro

Pros:

The best exclusive games out there. Period. Sony has the best developers in the industry. Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and we could possibly include Insomniac Games when Spider-Man gets released. The care in terms of detail, sound, visuals and narrative Sony devs put on their games can't be seen anywhere else, except from a few examples here and there. If you want to play the best games on a generation, you NEED a Playstation 4 (Pro). 1st party games are also very well optimized for the console and games will take you to a point where you stop looking at the visuals and just enjoy the experience. That's what gaming is all about, right?

Controller: One can argue if the Xbox has a better controller or not, but truth is, the PS4's is rechargeable, whereas you need to spend extra $25 for that on the Xbox. For me, that's an advantage. Also, both shoulder inputs are "triggers", and not buttons. RB and LB are the buttons that get broken faster on the X. PES gamers know what I'm talking about here.

PSN Plus Games: It has the best exclusive games, so they can give away the best games. That's a big plus here. Bloodborne for free in March? (90+ in Metacritic) I'm all in.

Cons:

PSN Store:

It's a mess. In my experience and on the web, it looks like people is having loading issues all the time. It's frustrating to try to enter to a deals sections and wait for it to load forever. It's also random, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it happens with a user and not with the other!

Another thing I found irritating is how much more expensive games are on Latin America store than US. This does NOT happen on Xbox Live. Games cost the same across all the region. A new release can eaily cost $60, $70 or 80 bucks. Fortunatelly, you can buy them cheaper by creating a US account, but it's quite annoying.

Another issue with the PSN Store is that what you see on the web is inconsistent on what you see on the console. If you're unlucky or naive enough to buy a game from the web, you can have a very bad surprise when you browse PSN from your console and see it with a big discount.

PS4 Pro is BIG. Not a big deal here, but it's huge for a console. Can be messy to make it fit for small places.

Pricey Games:

PS4, in general, has the most expensive games of all 3, or it just don't have as many deals as found in Steam or Xbox Live. Sometimes the difference is big but in other times, games can cost as much as double of those found in other platforms. For example, as I write, Xbox has a good chunk of spring deals, whereas on PSN all you can find is mostly discounted avatars, themes and indy games (seriously?)

Xbox One X

Pros:

Performance. It was evident on paper but it took a bit to start showing up in real life. Far Cry 5 is possibly the best example of how much more powerful over the PS4 Pro the One X is and it also runs consistently. I'm actually very surprised of how much power can this little box embrace compared to the much bigger PS4 Pro. It's really a technological milestone in gaming. It will definitely be my platform of choice for the best multiplatform games like Red Dead Redemption, Anthem and others.

Xbox Live.

It's fast, it's pretty and it's consistent. Prices are the same all over the region, deals are everywhere, all the time. The deals you see on the console you will also see on the web. Microsoft has a healthy advantage here.

Interfase.

Xbox's interface (for me) is the best by far. It's butter smooth and looks great. You will have an HD background of the last game you played without having to spend on themes... probably the reason why selling themes isn't a big deal on Xbox.

Beautiful:

The One X is the best looking console of this generation... And I'm talking aesthetics. It a little box with a glowing x with a cr*pload of muscle. The original Xbox looks like a dinosaur in comparison and PS4 consoles also pale.

Cons:

Controller:

As mentioned earlier, having to buy separated batteries is a turn off to me. Even when the controller is more comfortable than the Dual Shock, MS still needs to fix RB, LB and the digital stick. (they've been sucking at it for years now)

Exclusive games -_-
I'll be honest here. I don't have much hope for Xbox one exclusive games or studios. Sony exclusives are right now on a whole different level. Even flagships like Gears of War had a mediocre campaign though with excellent online. Sea of Thieves ended up being a total disaster and they're still planing on releasing Crackdown 3, which looks like a last gen game compared to Spider-Man on PS4. Xbox One X is NOT a good console for exclusive games as of now. E3 2018 will most likely be their last hope to try to fix this, but in all honesty, even if MS does everything right, it wont be until the next generation when they can compete to Sony in terms of exclusives. They've lost way too much time this gen with Kinect related rubbish.

I honestly can't find more significant cons, but the one found here is BIG. The Xbox One X is currently the best console for multiplatform games, but at the time of chosing between the X and the PS, not being able to play the some of best of the best will definitely matter.

Shared Pros (between PS4 Pro and Xbox one X)

HDR out of the box, no messy configutations.
Dolby, DTS, uncompressed audio supported.
External HDD support for games. Finally! SSD speed over USB 3.0 supported. How cool is that?

So that's it. I hope my experience in the 3 platforms help some of you or at least, gives more insight in some subjects. I might be forgetting some things and I don't discard updating this post accordingly.

Xraein

Dedicated Member
May 6, 2008
Venus
I don't think there is any big difference between PS4 and Pro.. As for PSN I agree with you it takes ages to load, nevermind the app crashes every now and then while using it .. that issue has been occurring since PS3, it's funny that Sony still can't figure out how to fix it, isn't ? :)

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
I don't think there is any big difference between PS4 and Pro.. As for PSN I agree with you it takes ages to load, nevermind the app crashes every now and then while using it .. that issue has been occurring since PS3, it's funny that Sony still can't figure out how to fix it, isn't ? :)
I think it's more noticeable in a big 4K screen. Checkerboarding does a pretty good job the Pro and I really enjoy not seeing any jaggies anymore.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
You would see it if you played a game like Tomb Raider on the standard PS4 and then on the Pro. Night and day differences. Call of Duty WWII is another great game to compare.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I'll be honest here. I don't have much hope for Xbox one exclusive games or studios. Sony exclusives are right now on a whole different level. Even flagships like Gears of War had a mediocre campaign though with excellent online. Sea of Thieves ended up being a total disaster and they're still planning on releasing Crackdown 3, which looks like a last gen game compared to Spider-Man on PS4. Xbox One X is NOT a good console for exclusive games as of now. E3 2018 will most likely be their last hope to try to fix this, but in all honesty, even if MS does everything right, it wont be until the next generation when they can compete to Sony in terms of exclusives. They've lost way too much time this gen with Kinect related rubbish.
Did they really market it as the best game Rare had ever made? Sounds weird to me when you consider Rare were also behind Banjo-Kazooie and Perfect Dark. They must have entirely different people working there now.

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Well Phil Spencer said about Japanese exclusives for Xbox but then again he's all talk like rest of Microsoft. They had last E3 to try and deliver when it came to Xbox One X but not much came out of it. Sony is just continuing of what they have been doing well with making new exclusives and they made good decisions in regards to the hardware.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I have to admit, I am only planning to watch Microsoft's E3 press conference this year to see what new games they will announce and wonder which ones will end up disappointing like Sea of Thieves or be cancelled like Scalebound. It seems like the only thing Xbox has going for it are the multiplatform titles with better graphics on Xbox One X, which is only one piece of the pie, so the speak.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
S

PS4 Pro

Pros:

PSN Store:

It's a mess. In my experience and on the web, it looks like people is having loading issues all the time. It's frustrating to try to enter to a deals sections and wait for it to load forever. It's also random, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it happens with a user and not with the other! .
True

Another thing I found irritating is how much more expensive games are on Latin America store than US. This does NOT happen on Xbox Live. Games cost the same across all the region. A new release can eaily cost $60, $70 or 80 bucks. Fortunatelly, you can buy them cheaper by creating a US account, but it's quite annoying..
it also happens in every platform. you can also use this as advantage.
Another issue with the PSN Store is that what you see on the web is inconsistent on what you see on the console. If you're unlucky or naive enough to buy a game from the web, you can have a very bad surprise when you browse PSN from your console and see it with a big discount.
a lie. I wonder why yyou said it.

Pricey Games:

PS4, in general, has the most expensive games of all 3, or it just don't have as many deals as found in Steam or Xbox Live. Sometimes the difference is big but in other times, games can cost as much as double of those found in other platforms. For example, as I write, Xbox has a good chunk of spring deals, whereas on PSN all you can find is mostly discounted avatars, themes and indy games (seriously?)
again why you telling lies here!!!

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
True

it also happens in every platform. you can also use this as advantage.
a lie. I wonder why yyou said it.

again why you telling lies here!!!
Hey.. Calm down. Why are you calling me a liar? These are proven facts. I've been screwed myself by buying something on PSN Web instead of buying it inside the PS4. The thing is just a mess in that concern and it's something they need to fix. Next time there's a deal you can checkout yourself. This doesn't happen on Xbox Live.

As for pricing, Xbox Live games definitely has better pricing and more deals than PSN, even in multiplatform games... for whatever reasons and Steam beats the heck of both in terms of pricing.

Last but not least, regarding regions, I only have one account for Microsoft Store, and prices are the same for what I've seen. On PSN you need to create an account with a different location in order to have access to US pricing and lately they've been blocking these transactions based on IP source or credit card location. I supposse there's a financial reason for Sony to do so but I prefer Microsoft's approach on that concern. On Steam, pricing is very similar, but for some reason it's chepar in say, Russia.

Having all 3 platforms and more than 30 years in gaming I'm no fan(boy) of any platform. I enjoy all of them and also have no issues pointing out their weak points.

BTW, why are you calling people Idiots for pre-ordering games? I've preordered God of War and I'm absolutely glad I did. Some developers deserve it.

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Turn the 7.1 off on your headphones.
Atmos is doing its thing then your 7.1 virtualisation headphones are adding their take on the situation thus making it sound shit.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Turn the 7.1 off on your headphones.
Atmos is doing its thing then your 7.1 virtualisation headphones are adding their take on the situation thus making it sound shit.
Doing that makes Atmos take them as 2.0 earphones and the result is pretty poor compared to them with 7.1 activated and Atmos disabled, so I chose disabling it.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
I haven't seen Xbox Live offer better deals/sales compared to PlayStation. I've got both systems – not that it matters. I also haven't run into different pricing between the web store and the console store.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
I haven't seen Xbox Live offer better deals/sales compared to PlayStation. I've got both systems – not that it matters. I also haven't run into different pricing between the web store and the console store.
I'm 100% sure of that. I tell you this because I've looked for the same games when I bought the PS4 and when there are deals weekends.

As for the Web Store, I also tried to buy a game from it, since I didn't want to type all my details using the pad, and I got that suprise. Not a big deal to me, since I know now, but it's definitely something to iron out.