NBA 2K15 - Defending and tackling

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
Howdy.

I picked up NBA 2K15 the other day, and it is my first ever basketball game.
I've found that I'm pretty decent going forward and scoring points, but my defending game is just awful!

I've tried looking for tutorials online but I can't seem to find any on good ones with control explanations/tutorials for the PS4. Maybe I'm looking up the wrong word. I've been searching for "tackling", as that's what you'd check for football (soccer) games, but I can't seem to find any.

Does anyone have any good tips or videos they can refer me to on YouTube?

I can wave my player's arms in the air in front of the opponent, but most of the time when I "reach" in to grab the ball off of them, they either completely miss, or I foul them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
You have to stay in front of your player and contest their shots. You should only go for the steal when there's an opportunity, or you can predict where the pass goes. Press L2(I think, Intense D trigger) for more of a lockdown position.

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6407282]You have to stay in front of your player and contest their shots. You should only go for the steal when there's an opportunity, or you can predict where the pass goes. Press L2(I think, Intense D trigger) for more of a lockdown position.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that reply.

Are there any indications to say when is an ideal time to go for a steal?
Also, the Square button is the "steal" button is just pressed (and not held), correct?

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Molo316, post: 6407290]Thanks for that reply.

Are there any indications to say when is an ideal time to go for a steal?
Also, the Square button is the "steal" button is just pressed (and not held), correct?[/QUOTE]It is more of who you are playing (a good perimeter defender) and guarding someone who doesn't have good ball handling skills or ball security. You can test a few swipes if the guy isn't between you and the ball, and dribbling. You can go for steals with players not expecting you, playing the passing lanes, double teams.

Probably some terminology in there that you don't understand, haha. Yes, you press the button. You can't overuse it, you're likely to foul or fall out of position.

2k13 was my first NBA game. Once you get a hang of it, it's really fun. Especially MyCareer mode.

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6407292]It is more of who you are playing (a good perimeter defender) and guarding someone who doesn't have good ball handling skills or ball security. You can test a few swipes if the guy isn't between you and the ball, and dribbling. You can go for steals with players not expecting you, playing the passing lanes, double teams.

Probably some terminology in there that you don't understand, haha. Yes, you press the button. You can't overuse it, you're likely to foul or fall out of position.

2k13 was my first NBA game. Once you get a hang of it, it's really fun. Especially MyCareer mode.[/QUOTE]
Okay. Seems like I'll just have to keep practicing.

Yeah, I'm not very familiar with those terms :lol: To be honest, I need to get the rules of the game down. I know some basics, like scoring and such, but that's about it haha!

I started MyCareer, and I was a little disappointed that there were only two voices?
I still need to get the rules and basic tactics together, because I kept calling for the ball in my first tryout and they never played the ball to me, resulting in my match grade going down :lol:

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Molo316, post: 6407296]Okay. Seems like I'll just have to keep practicing.

Yeah, I'm not very familiar with those terms :lol: To be honest, I need to get the rules of the game down. I know some basics, like scoring and such, but that's about it haha!

I started MyCareer, and I was a little disappointed that there were only two voices?
I still need to get the rules and basic tactics together, because I kept calling for the ball in my first tryout and they never played the ball to me, resulting in my match grade going down :lol:[/QUOTE]Well there used to be only 1 voice. I haven't played much yet, but there's more of a story and dialogue now. It takes a bit time to develop, as you start off quite bad. Especially when you don't really know how to play yet. It becomes a bit too easy later on, I try not to make my player too good.

Molo316

Master Guru
Jul 4, 2009
BRITAIN
www.fernanzr.uk.tt
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6407297]Well there used to be only 1 voice. I haven't played much yet, but there's more of a story and dialogue now. It takes a bit time to develop, as you start off quite bad. Especially when you don't really know how to play yet. It becomes a bit too easy later on, I try not to make my player too good.[/QUOTE]
Ah fair enough.
Are 2K known for their creative suites in games? The create-a-wrestler feature in WWE 2K15 is pretty damn bare to be honest. I was very disappointed.

I might just play a league season, that way I'll get more practice, whilst playing matches that have a purpose, rather than just simple exhibitions.