NBA Thread

Hippo

Elite Member
May 7, 2005
[QUOTE="UndecideD, post: 0]LMAO wasn't it Arenas who dropped 60 against the lakers last season. hmmm...he wouldn't sell tickets...[/QUOTE]

You're basing that off one game...

Kobe Bryan jersey sales: 1st
Gilbert Arenas jersey sales: 8th

If you think replacing Arenas with Bryant on the Lakers would replicate the same ticket sales you are insane. Whether you like him or not, and I think thats why so many of you are so delusional, Kobe Bryant (along with Wade and James) is leaps and bounds a more marketable player than Arenas.

Along with ticket sales, Arenas just flat out isn't as good as Bryant. And don't BS me with how Gilbert gets his team more involved, he only averaged half an assist more than Bryant this year. Plus, lets not forget, Arenas plays basketball in the JV league.

SE fanboy

Forum Elder
Oct 7, 2005
Quote:
The owners of the Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves have begun talks for a trade that would involve sending Kevin Garnett to the Lakers, league sources said Monday.

A multi-team trade discussion is underway involving the Lakers, Indiana, Minnesota and possibly a fourth team, with the Lakers getting Garnett and the Pacers getting Lamar Odom and teenage center Andrew Bynum from the Lakers. Another minor player will likely be added to make the deal work financially.

Jerry Buss and Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor spoke by phone for 20 minutes Friday. Buss reportedly ended the conversation by suggesting that Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale would continue the discussion Monday.

Such a move could address the concerns of Kobe Bryant, who has demanded to be traded for more than four weeks.

Bryant met with Kupchak for about an hour Friday, a day after Garnett rejected a trade that would have sent him to Boston.

Bryant did not step down from his desire to be traded. However, Kupchak, Buss and Lakers Coach Phil Jackson met later that day to discuss options based on the assumption they would still have Bryant, The Times has learned.

Garnett, 31, has never formally asked for a trade while signaling his distress in recent years as the Timberwolves fell from top-notch status. The No. 1-seeded team in the Western Conference in 2004, they lost to the Lakers in the West finals and haven't made the playoffs since then.

The Timberwolves finished 33-49 in 2005-06 and 32-50 last season, tied for 12th in the West with Portland.

Garnett can opt out of his contract after next season. He wants an extension, which Buss reportedly told Taylor he was willing to offer. Garnett is due to earn $22 million next season and $23 million in 2008-09, the last year of his contract.

Garnett, a 10-time All-Star, averaged 22.4 points, 12.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.7 blocked shots last season while showing few signs of slowing down, other than spending the last five games of the season in Los Angeles — he has a home in Malibu — to rest a sore right quadriceps.

Bynum, 19, started his second NBA season with a flurry, including a memorable game again Minnesota in which he had 20 points,14 rebounds and three blocked shots last November.

But Bynum struggled during the second half of the season and finished with averages of 7.8 points and 5.9 rebounds a game. The Lakers have been criticized by Bryant for not trading Bynum at the February trade deadline in order to get Jason Kidd from New Jersey.

Odom, 27, was acquired three years ago as part of the trade that sent Shaquille O'Neal to Miami.

He averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season and missed 26 games because of knee and shoulder injuries. He had a torn labrum in his left shoulder repaired last month and is expected to return in time for training camp in October.
If this goes down, it will go down as the best offseason ever.

Blu-Ray

Elite Sage
Jul 9, 2006
Billups is gone..... he is now a free agent... this is Ben Wallace all over again.

Detroit was a better team than the Cavs, but Flip and the negativity of the team screwed them in the post season.

J

jakncoke

[QUOTE="Hippo, post: 0]I still don't think Arenas, Garnett, or Pierce can sell as many tickets as Kobe does in LA and when the team isn't doing well. Lakers games still sell out often because people want to go watch Kobe put up 50...60 points. I don't think the same can be said for Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce. When the Wizards sucked two years ago no one went to see the games, espcially not just to see Arenas play. Same can't be said for Kobe. Its even easier to make a case for Garnett and Pierce.

Fact remains, when the Lakers come to someone's home team the likelyhood of someone going to that game just to see Kobe is high...a lot higher than someone going to go see their home team play the Wizards, Wolves, or Celtics just to see Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce.[/quote]

First your stance is ppl dont go to go games to see those 3 now you've backpeddled a bit and pretty much admited that ppl go to those games but not as much as they go to see Kobe...quit flip-flopping pick a opinion and stick with it.

UnReaL

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="jasonbay, post: 0]First your stance is ppl dont go to go games to see those 3 now you've backpeddled a bit and pretty much admited that ppl go to those games but not as much as they go to see Kobe...quit flip-flopping pick a opinion and stick with it.[/quote]

Ofcourse people go to games to watch Agent Zero, The Big Ticket, The Truth, but all 3 of them combined do not = The Lakers and Kobe. I said Lakers first, because they are the biggest draw in the NBA. Even without Kobe and Shaq, the Lakers with the team of Van Exel, Jones, Ceballos, Vlade, forget other starter, were still the biggest draw during that time. Add Kobe to the mix and you get sell out crowds where ever they go. Most teams in the NBA got their first sell out crowd when the Lakers showed up, and this is was late in the season. There are only 2 other teams that have that type of impact right now...The Suns, and the Heat. You can also say the Cavs because of LBJ, but I believe not even LBJ's team does not have that type of impact yet.

Sorry for not updating. I was going to update yesterday, but didn't happen. So I'll continue. But all of you know the top stories.

Hippo

Elite Member
May 7, 2005
[QUOTE="jasonbay, post: 0]First your stance is ppl dont go to go games to see those 3 now you've backpeddled a bit and pretty much admited that ppl go to those games but not as much as they go to see Kobe...quit flip-flopping pick a opinion and stick with it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not flip-flopping, you're just running out of a good arguement...

Like UnReaL said, Kobe is a MUCH...MUCH...MUCH...bigger draw than Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce. And in a city built around individuals who are "larger than life"...the Lakers need a superstar that is "larger than life". Fans aren't going to accept a downgrade, and despite the fact that Arenas, Garnett, and Pierce are all great players...they still aren't as good as Kobe.

Don't come back with another weak arguement, I won't waste my time anymore proving how wrong you are.

J

jakncoke

Whatever dude I could care less how you flip flop , because it doesnt really matter , Im going to continue to hold strong with my opinion and your going to continue flip flopping yours / debate

UnReaL

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Some Minnesota reps have said that Lakers and any team that wants Garnett have to take on Marco Jaric and Troy Hudsons contracts which totals to around $48 millions.

Hippo

Elite Member
May 7, 2005
[QUOTE="jasonbay, post: 0]Whatever dude I could care less how you flip flop , because it doesnt really matter , Im going to continue to hold strong with my opinion and your going to continue flip flopping yours / debate[/QUOTE]

so basically you're only response now is "flip flop"...no no...not an actual arguement...just pissing and moaning.

solid job their champ...really, congrats.

Mar 21, 2005
www.ps3portal.com
ESPN is so stupid they go off on how Amare is likely to be traded to acquire Garnett and we all know thats not happening, then right after that with no break they say "Garnet could be traded to the Lakers in a HUGE blockbuster trade" hinting kobe will be traded for him. I just sat there like WTF .

Hippo

Elite Member
May 7, 2005
[QUOTE="soldier one, post: 0]ESPN is so stupid they go off on how Amare is likely to be traded to acquire Garnett and we all know thats not happening, then right after that with no break they say "Garnet could be traded to the Lakers in a HUGE blockbuster trade" hinting kobe will be traded for him. I just sat there like WTF .[/QUOTE]

One, a Kobe for Garnett will not happen...100% positive it won't. They are trying to trade Garnett to the Lakers to play with Kobe.

J

jakncoke

So I was looking at pre draft stuff and 1 source said Bulls may be trading outta the 9 ? What would they trade for , well hopefully low post scoring , then another source has them taking Spencer Hawes, as much as I follow college b-ball I know nothing about him...could he provide low post scoring ? Will he turn into a good pro ? Either way that Curry trade has already been bettered on our when we got Aldridge then traded it for Thomas and seeing I see great things from if we could get a player that turns out great this year and thomas turns out to what i think he can be that would be like one of best trades ever ... I also liked Curry and was so mad when they traded him im glad Paxson is smiling and runnning to the bank with that trade now .

Hippo

Elite Member
May 7, 2005
[QUOTE="jasonbay, post: 0]So I was looking at pre draft stuff and 1 source said Bulls may be trading outta the 9 ? What would they trade for , well hopefully low post scoring , then another source has them taking Spencer Hawes, as much as I follow college b-ball I know nothing about him...could he provide low post scoring ? Will he turn into a good pro ? Either way that Curry trade has already been bettered on our when we got Aldridge then traded it for Thomas and seeing I see great things from if we could get a player that turns out great this year and thomas turns out to what i think he can be that would be like one of best trades ever ... I also liked Curry and was so mad when they traded him im glad Paxson is smiling and runnning to the bank with that trade now .[/QUOTE]

Spencer Hawes is a 7 foot giant out of Washington...but he isn't a top ten pick at all...not even a first round pick if you ask me. Joakim Noah, as much as I hate him (way to cocky), would be a better choice. Still, it terms of low-post threat, Joakim Noah hardly takes the bill. The Bulls are better off trading for a big man than drafting one.

J

jakncoke

If they draft Noah I will hate the Bulls for a couple weeks...I cant stand him at all and I dont see him doing much in the pro's either.

Hippo

Elite Member
May 7, 2005
[QUOTE="jasonbay, post: 0]If they draft Noah I will hate the Bulls for a couple weeks...I cant stand him at all and I dont see him doing much in the pro's either.[/QUOTE]

lol, finally we agree on something...he is all mouth and no talent.

Mar 21, 2005
www.ps3portal.com
Last night ESPN was saying other teams are jumping in on Garnett and the suns are not even looking for him. Suposedly Suns are looking to trade marion for better draft picks, why would you trade the best defender in the league for some rookies that will probably suck for the first 2 seasons? IF your going to trade him then get garnett at least.

Along with that other sources are saying amare could be gone for garnett, it would just be amare off the suns, and players from a few other teams, where garnet would end up in phoenix. To tell the truth i hate this talk and if the suns trade amare then im defently not buying jerseys or supporting the team at all unless they make it to the playoffs. Diehard fan or not its just stupid to trade him, marion yea i would hate it alot, but amare come on. After everything they did to keep him on the team and everything he ahs done to show he wants to stay here, they are saying they might trade him.

Well while your at ruining our team why not trade nash as well? *sarcasm of course*

J

jakncoke

[QUOTE="Hippo, post: 0]lol, finally we agree on something...he is all mouth and no talent.[/quote]

haha I knew it would happen some day...lol , Also does anyone have like a article to teams current cap room.

UnReaL

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Looks like all deals involving Garnett to Suns are basically dead. Suns do not want to give up Amare and they especially do not want to pay the Luxury Tax.

That leaves only one team, and thats the Lakers, but they do not have the players or Draft picks to give to the Wolves for G-Nett.

My stance is nothing will happen. Everyone will stay, but the only person I see going is Jermain, but to where is the question? Bird wants to get into this years draft. Boston has turned down offers from Indiana, Jermain wants to head to New York or L.A.

Also does anyone have like a article to teams current cap room.
I'll try to find it, but there is only 2 team I believe that are under the cap. One is Charlotte, don't know the other.

Hippo

Elite Member
May 7, 2005
[QUOTE="UnReaL, post: 0]My stance is nothing will happen. Everyone will stay, but the only person I see going is Jermain, but to where is the question? Bird wants to get into this years draft. Boston has turned down offers from Indiana, Jermain wants to head to New York or L.A.[/QUOTE]

I have the same feeling, mostly because doesn't it seem like this happens every year? This has got to be at least the 10th time the idea of trading Garnett has come up, each time it gets shot down. I'm pretty sure he only had one year left on his contract, so after that he'll find a new place...hopefully.

305_monzii

why would the suns even consider giving up amare??? i think a deal will get done eventually for garnett, but it wont involve the suns.

UndecideD

Master Poster
Mar 24, 2006
thecoldesigns.iforumer.com
Earlier today I heard an Amare to Atlanta rumor, I don't quite remember what it is, anyone else hear this. EDIT: ok it's a three way trade that would have amare end up in atlanta and K.G in Phoenix. Also now on Espn it is being reported that Greg Oden will be drafted by Portland as the number one pick.

Hippo

Elite Member
May 7, 2005
[QUOTE="305_monzii, post: 0]why would the suns even consider giving up amare??? i think a deal will get done eventually for garnett, but it wont involve the suns.[/QUOTE]

Cause...

1. His surgery on his leg is the same surgery many other past players have had that eventually greatly reduced their careers in the NBA. Basically, that surgery made him a lot older than his actual age.

2. Before Nash Amare was only an average PF. Though he had an incredible upside, Nash has made him into what he is today. Without Nash the Suns and Amare aren't a playoff team.

3. Garnett > Amare...simple as that. Suns need to win now, Nash only has a few more solid years left.

UndecideD

Master Poster
Mar 24, 2006
thecoldesigns.iforumer.com
[QUOTE="Hippo, post: 0]Cause...

1. His surgery on his leg is the same surgery many other past players have had that eventually greatly reduced their careers in the NBA. Basically, that surgery made him a lot older than his actual age.

2. Before Nash Amare was only an average PF. Though he had an incredible upside, Nash has made him into what he is today. Without Nash the Suns and Amare aren't a playoff team.

3. Garnett > Amare...simple as that. Suns need to win now, Nash only has a few more solid years left.[/QUOTE]

I agree before nash ,Amare was just potential.

UnReaL

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
This has got to be at least the 10th time the idea of trading Garnett
There's only been whispers of Garnett, and teams asking for a couple of years. This is the year that things have gotten serious as the Wolves have been taking calls and answering them for Garnett.

Once again nothing will happen, unless a team is willing to gut themselves for Garnett.

Also does anyone have like a article to teams current cap room.
O.K, I got the Cap section up on the main page of this thread. The 07-08 Cap has not started, otherwise those numbers would be alot different.

edit:
I'll be out during the draft. So if any mods feel like updating the main page than go ahead. (Just don't screw it up...haha!). If not, I'll update it tomorrow.