New features making PS3 more like a christmas tree

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
Yes, the title says it all. In my opinion, it's taking away from the whole reason we buy the damned thing - to play games. Not that I have anything against the PS3 as a DVR, or whether the Sony Online will be better than XBOX 360's service. Not that I'm against that - I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to record tv through their PS3? The only thing I'm concerned about is whether the delay is, in large part, due to the extra hardware they're packing into it.

As I've heard many times before in this forum, that it is and always will be about the games. Sony doesn't need to be more powerful than xbox 360, nor have better graphics. The fact that it does is an added bonus, but the point is that I would have bought the Playstation 3 over the xbox 360 anyway, regardless of the fact that it contained all these wonderful features. If Sony and Microsoft weren't playing the game of 'mine is bigger than yours' then maybe they can focus more on the games, which is what we all want.

We all know that the PS1 was THE largest selling games console in the world, and probably still is to date, smashing old-school competitors in the game like Nintendo and Sega, in sega's case, destroying them completely. The PS2 was nothing short of successful, even more so than it's main rival Xbox.. who doubts the inevitable fact that, judging by the past trends, that Playstation will dominate once again? I don't know about you guys, but in my opinion having two SKU's is just plain stupid, and even moreso trying to make the new playstation into a christmas tree, something that they will try to make functional with EVERY piece of electronic equipment, past, present and future. I want to play games, period. That's what I'm gonna buy the bloody thing for.. all I want is my playstation!

Naboomagnoli

Master Poster
Dec 17, 2005
My Christmas Tree doesn't have a hard drive :?

I say the more they can pack in without it being overpriced, the better. We all know it'll have the games, so the fundamentals are in the bag, as impressive as ever. If I can get more for my money, then why the hell shouldn't I? I agree that 2 SKU's is stupid. Thankfully so do Sony, so we won't be seeing any of that nonsense when the console's released.

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
Oh hell yeah.. that's freaking cool. I was beginning to question Sony's sanity. Of course, if I can get these features for a good price bundled in this sleek, sexy and heavenly package, I'll die a happy man.. but if it affects the overall price of the console dramatically, I'll have a bitchfit. Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy it, no matter the cost.. but I'm just a lowly student with no money with a job that pays peanuts. To top it off, if it does ship in the US for $399, it'll be at least $700 - $800, excluding accessories and games.

I don't care what they do to the PS3, to an extent, but I would appreciate it if they did keep their consumers in mind and sold it for a reasonable, justifiable price..

miickEe./

Jan 25, 2006
Use your head.
Its too late in the game for Sony to be throwing in random things that will significantly boost the price.
The price would have been permanently set a long time ago,
and anything they add to the console from here on out is just a nice freebie.

To suggest that Sony cramming even more things into their wonder-machine is a bad thing is like saying Jessica Alba could do with some plastic surgery.

Jan 25, 2006
Nope, don't worry your pretty little head about it.
Sony are infinitely more worried about the consumer than Microsoft have ever been.
You're in safe hands.

Fordgasm

Superior Member
Jun 3, 2005
|-|ueyThel)octo/2 said:
You are a sad, sad little man.
Is this all you're good for?
Every post you make belittles someone instead of discussing the topic/matter at hand.

Read above and realise you had no reason to make a thread.
I repeat.
Sad.
Sad.
Little.
Man.
I think it is you that has no reason to participate in this thread.
Your posts are about as useful as a cock flavoured lollipop.

Anywho back on topic:

miickEe said:
Yes, the title says it all. In my opinion, it's taking away from the whole reason we buy the damned thing - to play games. Not that I have anything against the PS3 as a DVR, or whether the Sony Online will be better than XBOX 360's service. Not that I'm against that - I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to record tv through their PS3? The only thing I'm concerned about is whether the delay is, in large part, due to the extra hardware they're packing into it.
I wouldn't worry about this the hardware would have been finalised a long time ago.
For all we know they could be waiting on the games to be finished.

As I've heard many times before in this forum, that it is and always will be about the games. Sony doesn't need to be more powerful than xbox 360, nor have better graphics. The fact that it does is an added bonus, but the point is that I would have bought the Playstation 3 over the xbox 360 anyway, regardless of the fact that it contained all these wonderful features. If Sony and Microsoft weren't playing the game of 'mine is bigger than yours' then maybe they can focus more on the games, which is what we all want.
Thats what competition is about outdoing your oponent.
You would think that most people would be here for the games but unfortunately thats not the case.
For a LOT of people it's about whose product it is.
People around here will say I won't get a 360 because its made by MS or Bill Gates.Others will say the 360 would be a great console if it wasn't for the MS brand on it. But probably the worst is that Nintendo aren't even considered competition anymore. It's sad Some of the BEST games for the last 20 years have come from Ninty and now they are dismissed so easily.

We all know that the PS1 was THE largest selling games console in the world, and probably still is to date, smashing old-school competitors in the game like Nintendo and Sega, in sega's case, destroying them completely. The PS2 was nothing short of successful, even more so than it's main rival Xbox.. who doubts the inevitable fact that, judging by the past trends, that Playstation will dominate once again? I don't know about you guys, but in my opinion having two SKU's is just plain stupid, and even moreso trying to make the new playstation into a christmas tree, something that they will try to make functional with EVERY piece of electronic equipment, past, present and future. I want to play games, period. That's what I'm gonna buy the bloody thing for.. all I want is my playstation!
Its unlikely that Sony will finsh this generation anywhere but on top.
But if it weren't for MS and Nintendo then who would drive Sony to give us bigger and better stuff.
Without competition Sony could screw us with anything and simply get away with it.
I like where they are going with PS3 it's where things are heading and it's good. I say bring on the bells and whistles and bring them YESTERDAY!

PS Party

Superior Member
Jun 19, 2005
miickEe....inovation,development,technology are all exiting things. Wake up man!! My god,if the rest of us thought like you we would all still be living in caves.

Aug 26, 2005
Dude, Sony has always been about the games. You've sold over 100 million of each PS and PS2. Not because it had no games. The Playstation library is astounding. So many titles and soo many games. Botht the PS and the PS2 were like that, so why not PS3?

Sony knows what it has to do. PS3 is another safe investment. It will be an awesome system with great games. Hell if it has some cool inventive features, some dumb feature might be why a customer chooses PS3 over 360.

DDT

Superior Member
Sep 18, 2005
Aslong as the features are implemented in a nice/good way, they can put as many of them into the ps3 as they like, in my opinion.

Legend Killer

Master Poster
Dec 24, 2005
Don't worry This always happen when Sony tries something new its like what happen with the PS2 "we don't need no damn DVD drive we just want to play games"

Now "no DVD drive what is this a joke we'll know consoles without DVD drive sucks"

See you can't please people they will try to shut things down before they even give it a try.

PS3ITLIVES

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2006
It doesn't matter because i heard the DVR thing is a add-on. Come on now you know Sony will not put all these accessories in a launch console have they ever? ITS BUSINESS!!! Sony will not give out a DVR for free.

Piotr

Superior Member
Jan 11, 2006
.... heh it will be second. games will be first. but those other things the ps3 will be able to do will makes games that much better.

MasterThug

Dedicated Member
Oct 28, 2005
www.mofunk.spitpod.com
i dont want ps3 to have hard drive built in, i will buy it seperatly, its because its just gonna drive the costs way up anyway, so its better for ppl who want hard drive than to ppl who just want to play games

A

Azurite

It's just a rumour, no need to get all worked up. Just relax until an official announcement has been made.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
miickEe said:

Ok I'm going to stop where you said "packing extra hardware" because they're packing extra software. I think I'm not going to read the rest because I can already tell your credibility.

Jan 18, 2006
Sony does care about games you know(except for the PS2 but thats a different story). In almost every interview on the PS3 they say games are their top priority. Don't worry about.

Jan 5, 2005
I don't know about you but I'm going to enjoy my gife under my christmas tree. ps3 might have alot of things they don't need to add. but if it's we are surly going to used them.

theman19

Apprentice
Dec 21, 2005
whyo says ALL we ant is games. i am more than willing to wait some extra months for comlpete media center features. the simple fact is a system completely foucoused on games and no media will not float these days, and personally i like it that way. i dont have tivo i REALLY want ps3 to be a dvr and have the most psp capabilities but i also want a very good music service so i can store all my music on this thing. also i am partly buying ps3 for blu capabilities. i hate it when people say that thats old school but the truth is blu ray is going to be here to stay and i want to be a poart of it. overall id say that i definitly dont want ps3 just to be focused on games cause it is NOT what its all about, atleast for me. im buying ps3 70% games and 30% multimedia. so no i strongly disagree with your opinion.

theman19

Apprentice
Dec 21, 2005
miickEe said:
It's good you disagree dude.. I'm not exactly imposing myself here, just expressing my viewpoint. :p
i was by no means trying to tell you that your wrong. you cant porve an opinion wrong. im was just stating what i think.

Feb 2, 2006
Hey let not be sexist here, I am sure there all plenty of PS3 chicks who would LOVE a cock flavored lollypop.

But seriously, these things need to go through testing by UL/CSA and that can take months, so they better have a design, finallised soon if you want to see this system Anywhere in '06
I don't get how having a staggered launch is any diff then doing it worldwide (unless you are the host country) you still have to wait... I would LOVE to know what you people think, let's say they did a May worldwide launch, (and of course they would have heavy shortages everywhere), wouldn't that still be better then waiting till NOV?