New Horizon: Zero Dawn screenshots

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
If that beastie can actually navigate those tree's as well as it is being portrayed in that first shot i will be truly amazed! Not surprised, given GG's work with AI in Killzone, but amazed all the same!

As a side note: Its nice to see a game being released nowadays that is happy to give control to the player, and has game mechanics that function as tools for the players to interact with the game world. Far too many titles nowadays seem to get scared (or get dictated to from above) at the fact people are playing their game, and they do all they can to limit the number of things the player can do for fear someone may have a slightly different experience to another person... or *shock horror* struggle to grasp the basics of the games style.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Is it just me or is the artificial lighting casting a shadow or glowing too brightly in bright areas unrealistic? I also find it unrealistic in games when fire illuminates some of the area nearby, despite the sun already beating down on the environment.

Don't get me wrong, Horizon: Zero Dawn has a cool concept for a video game, but I think it's very difficult to argue it has "realistic" graphics. I can understand why some games don't implement varying shadow strengths calculated by an object's size and distance, since most game worlds now are huge, but developers are always showing off improved lighting... I don't see it here.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
They're the kind of graphics that remind me of concept art, especially created digitally where you can edit in different pieces of land or sky. It's why I'm always obsessed with lighting in video games. I really believe you need to be careful with the way it's implemented or else it will look unrealistic.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="KungMartin90, post: 6522442]I don't necessarily think Horizon looks realistic, it's just aesthetically pleasing.[/QUOTE]

I agree. To me, I'd rather have games with art style than realism. That is one I find so appealing about this game. Great sense of style. Looking at it, I would NEVER have guessed it was made buy Guerrilla if I didn't already know.

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
This game looks stunningly beautiful. This is one of the titles that's on my radar. I still need to get a PS4 though.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think I need to clarify, the game can have the same color palette, lens flare and whatnot to make it stand out, it's just the artificial lighting from the machines that I have a problem with. It shouldn't be bright enough to cast a shadow on someone or something in daytime lighting. It makes the sunlight appear baked onto the environment and character model. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

I'll use some screenshots to try and illustrate my point.

The lighting looks good here:

The lighting looks bad here:

It would be fine if she was standing in the shade but the sunlight is clearly hitting her body which is why it's odd to see the artificial light from the machine be so bright and cast a shadow.

I'm not knocking this game or saying you shouldn't buy it. It's an observation. A talking point, perhaps, for people more knowledgeable in computer generated visuals and game engines.

Last edited:

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I do understand your point (and I think the rest do too?). And I'm trying to say the realism isn't much of a factor to me personally, because aesthetically it looks very pretty either way.

Something I'm curious about your post above though. Why can't the monsters light cast a shadow? If a light source is strong enough, it can easily cast a shadow, even on a sunlit surface.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="KungMartin90, post: 6522522]Something I'm curious about your post above though. Why can't the monsters light cast a shadow? If a light source is strong enough, it can easily cast a shadow, even on a sunlit surface.[/QUOTE]
Well, there are two different light sources cast on Alloy but what looks odd is that on the same side that she is being lit by the setting sun, she is casting a shadow on the otherwise sunlit ground.

I dunno, I might just be giving the PS4 too much credit as a powerful console. It is an open world game afterall so they likely can't account for every detail regarding light and shadow.

Last edited:

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm not sure I understand you.

The side where she's being lit by the sun, she's casting a shadow, because on the opposite side she's being lit by a light source coming from the monster. She also appears to be standing in a shadow being cast by some geographic object. Which makes the light coming from the monster more effective.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="KungMartin90, post: 6522576]I'm not sure I understand you.

The side that she's being lit by the sun, she's casting a shadow, because on the opposite side she's being lit by a strong light source coming from the monster. She also appears to be standing in a shadow being cast by some geographic object. Which makes the light coming from the monster more effective.[/QUOTE]
I get that, but she can't be lit by the sun while also standing in a shadow. You know what I mean?

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
My bad, I formulated it badly. She's not standing IN a shadow, there's a shadow directly behind her. Which I guess is what makes the light more effective, because it's being cast towards the shadowed area.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think you're right but it probably has more to do with the time of day. There will be less light when the sun is setting so, like the screenshot with Alloy and the machine in the woods, it's dark enough for the artificial light to cast a shadow.

Last edited: