New NGP details emerge at private event

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
During a presentation to around 20 UK developers at its headquarters in London yesterday, Sony shared a wide range of information about its new handheld platform, revealing significant new details on launch plans, hardware specifications, networking features and more.

One attendee, speaking to Eurogamer this morning under condition of anonymity, said: "NGP is a developer's dream – Sony is finally doing the things developers have been crying out for for years."

Studios had been expecting to collect development kits at the event, but were told "late shipments from Japan" meant SCEE would now be "prioritising". According to the source, for a kit to be delivered before April a studio must supply a "20-page concept document on a game they want to release at launch".

Eurogamer understands that key UK studios have had early kits for almost a year. But the source claimed the new shipment of kits would be "the first to have the final GPU in them".

Sony has not yet dated the system beyond plans to begin rollout worldwide by the end of 2011. But during yesterday's presentation, Sony listed the Wi-Fi only edition of NGP as "2011", while the Wi-Fi plus 3G version was listed as "Holiday Season 2011", implying that the 3G-enabled console would not be available day one.

SCEE did not share any solid information on date or price, only adding that details would be revealed "very soon".

Sony staff demoed a handful of upcoming first-party NGP titles, including Uncharted, Little Deviants and WipEout. The source said the latter was "the WipEout HD PS3 engine running on PS3 with no changes to the art platform. That means full resolution, full 60 frames per second. It looks exactly the same as it does on PS3 – all the shader effects are in there".

With Sony urging developers to create releases that work across PS3 and NGP, the implications of this are significant. "They want us to do cross-platform," said the source, explaining that the submission process has been streamlined, with only a single submission required for a title on PSN and NGP.

And developers were told: "All games at launch available on flash [the physical storage medium] would also be on PSN."

However, Sony is also insisting that it "does not want exactly the same game" on NGP and PS3 – there "has to be a reason for the NGP title". "They want at least some kind of interactivity between the two versions with NGP-only extras," the source added.

The rumoured addition of 'cloud saving' – seen as key for enabling gamers to switch easily between a game on PS3 and NGP – was raised by developers, but SCEE would not officially confirm it.

The publisher also moved to reassure developers that the technical hurdles of cross-platform development were being kept as low as possible.

"Any shaders for PS3 stuff will just work," said the source. "We won't have to rewrite. What would have taken two-to-three months before looks like it could take just one-to-two weeks now. The architecture is obviously different, but it's the same development environment."

Elsewhere with the hardware, it was confirmed that NGP features three gyroscopes, compared with one in PS3's controller, allowing for more accurate movement. And the front and rear touch panels are both capable of six-point multi-touch.

"The touch pad on the back is fantastic," the source said. "It does feel second nature, like you're having a real impact on the world." As an example of the potential, SCEE described squeezing an object in-game by pinching the front and the back simultaneously.

SCEE further outlined its vision for the first five years of the platform and its target audience, with year one focused on "hardcore" and year two on "hardcore and teens", with the expectation that the audience will expand younger and older after that.

Social networking and location-based features were also highlighted for their gaming potential. SCEE suggested, for instance, that "clues could be put on the social networking side" that could lead to "virtual gifts", that could in turn make use of the camera and augmented reality capabilities to distribute "new skins and avatars".

"Sony has made it completely developer-centric this time," the source added. "[The development kit] is really simple to plug in and use. It opens direct in Windows Explorer and you can see all systems on a network – so you could, for example, update the firmware of multiple NGPs at once.

"A PS3 dev station can take three hours to set-up. This looks like it will take under 20 mins. It just makes everything easier – they've really thought about it this time".
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-04-new-ngp-details-emerge-at-private-event

cpitt

Super Elite
Mar 14, 2007
www.youtube.com
Sony do you want my check now or later, makes no difference ghat money is as good as gone from my bank account. I think it's awesome. I think it's cool that Sony took what defined this current gen, social gaming, motion, touch screen gaming, casual, and original joystick and button gaming and rolled it into one.

Day one seems cool, but thinking about it the little device seems so awesome that I feel like of they keep on releasing different colors, that I will be tempted to rebuy, and you know eventually they'll have the slim version which will be slick. Just like people to out and buy every dsi sku.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
I personally bought all the different versions of the original psp, including the Go. I also bought the DS Lite and DSi (multiple). I bought the PS3, 360, slims of both... I'll do the same here.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
The source said the latter was "the WipEout HD PS3 engine running on PS3 with no changes to the art platform. That means full resolution, full 60 frames per second. It looks exactly the same as it does on PS3 – all the shader effects are in there".
"Any shaders for PS3 stuff will just work," said the source. "We won't have to rewrite. What would have taken two-to-three months before looks like it could take just one-to-two weeks now. The architecture is obviously different, but it's the same development environment."
This puts the "as powerful as the PS3" in context. In addition to the videos shown, this little handheld seems to be more like the companion unit that the PSP was hinted to be. I am just curious now how OTT they are going to go with the PS4.

EDIT: I just realized the ramifications of this. I am sure we are going to see many crossover titles between the PS3 and the NGP (like AC: bloodlines) because if it is this easy and takes such a low amount of time, I am sure pubs will push devs to create two titles out of concepts started for one project. This might be only a slight increase in cost. I wonder how many titles we are going to see that are "specifically" designed for the ngp coming from third party pubs.

Last edited:

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
The part that has me really excited is the 'only one submission for PSN and NGP', would be incredible to get games like Journey and Flower on the NGP. I hope this means it'll be like PS1 classics where the games work on both systems, rather than what's happened with the Neo Geo games where you have to buy both separately.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
PS3 ports on NGP. Wow!

If that WipEout game has some sort of motion assist with the driving it could easily be the greatest WipEout to date!!! I'd gladly buy that sucker again for the 4th time xD I've got the 2 PSP games + HD Fury.

[QUOTE="Zoibie, post: 5425310]The part that has me really excited is the 'only one submission for PSN and NGP', would be incredible to get games like Journey and Flower on the NGP. I hope this means it'll be like PS1 classics where the games work on both systems, rather than what's happened with the Neo Geo games where you have to buy both separately.[/QUOTE]

NeoGeo is a joke because of that. I wont be buying any.

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
Some chaps at B3D were saying that the NGP has more processing power for its screen then the PS3 does @ 1080p (wipeout).

TEJ2025

Superior Member
Dec 16, 2010
I might get back into the portable gaming market with the NGP.
(I haven't had a portable gaming system since the game boy color)

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="Vulgotha, post: 5426134]Some chaps at B3D were saying that the NGP has more processing power for its screen then the PS3 does @ 1080p (wipeout).[/QUOTE]

i can totally see that being the case...at least on the GPU side of things...the PS3 struggles to do anything spectacular at full 1080p...

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
I'm actually really anxious to see what other games are coming out for this.

MAG on the NGP would be pretty sick.

By the way, does the NGP include a mic?

Ryunosuke

Elite Member
Jul 3, 2005
Oklahoma
[QUOTE="rbrtchng, post: 5426267]I'm actually really anxious to see what other games are coming out for this.

MAG on the NGP would be pretty sick.

By the way, does the NGP include a mic?[/QUOTE]

It has a built-in microphone. I believe you can also use a wired or bluetooth headset.

I am interested to see what game Kojima is going to announce for the NGP at E3. I don't believe he ever stated that it was going to be part of the Metal Gear series. I am wishful for ZoE3. I believe Kojima has been hinting at it for awhile now.

If it really is easy to port PS3 games to the NGP, I would like to see Namco Bandai take advantage of this and release one of the 'Tales of" PS3 games on the NGP at or near launch. I believe it a lot better than most 'Tales of' games have if released early at or near launch.

Last edited:

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
I'm not sure. That's a good question.

Edit: Oh it does?

What doesn't this thing have? I mean seriously. Talk about awesome.

mickice

Ultimate Veteran
Oct 8, 2006
Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
[QUOTE="Vulgotha, post: 5426277]What doesn't this thing have? I mean seriously. Talk about awesome.[/QUOTE]

I know right! :) Online games are gonna be great with everyone having voice chat.

SONY has really raised the bar with this kit.

XSpike

Superior Member
Dec 2, 2005
does anyone know how much ram the NGP has? It was rumored to have 1gig and since the announcement from Sony I haven't heard anything on how much ram the NGP has. Thought it was a bit weird having all the NGP stats apart from how much ram it has..

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
Present estimates put the RAM amount at 512-637MB. (512MB System RAM + 125MB VRAM).

The 1GB rumor seems to pertain to the NGP Devkits.

Although it could be that indeed the retail units do have a full gb. I just wouldn't hedge my bets on it.

Feb 20, 2011
Red Base
However, Sony is also insisting that it "does not want exactly the same game" on NGP and PS3 – there "has to be a reason for the NGP title".
But....I wanna be able to play RE5 on my lunch break, without bringing a PS3 or 360 to work. Isn't that a good enough reason. *whine*

AranhaHunter

Superior Member
Feb 12, 2006
[QUOTE="XSpike, post: 5445323]does anyone know how much ram the NGP has? It was rumored to have 1gig and since the announcement from Sony I haven't heard anything on how much ram the NGP has. Thought it was a bit weird having all the NGP stats apart from how much ram it has..[/QUOTE]

It's probably still TBD from inside Sony, if I had to guess, I would say they're shooting for 1GB + possible 128MB of RAM, but they want to keep the price of the device as low as possible, so they'll wait until the last possible minute to see if it's feasible to go with 1GB or if 512MB is a better option.

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
[QUOTE="AranhaHunter, post: 5445833]It's probably still TBD from inside Sony, if I had to guess, I would say they're shooting for 1GB + possible 128MB of RAM, but they want to keep the price of the device as low as possible, so they'll wait until the last possible minute to see if it's feasible to go with 1GB or if 512MB is a better option.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's correct at all. That kind of behavior would seriously screw over developers who have had kits in their hands for the past year.

Jan 11, 2008
www.Thetf.net
Yeah, RAM has been nailed down for a while. I had initially heard it was 1GB. As Vulgotha said, this is the Devkit Ram.

A lot of developers are making games for the device. Some very interesting ones were missing off of the initial list Sony presented.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
If it has 1 or more gigs then that would be brilliant. The biggest problem with the PSP was ram, so if the initial NGP launches with decent ram it may be an awesome handheld for quite some time to come.