New Xbox revealed at Game Awards

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/12/tech/xbox-series-x-microsoft-trnd/index.html

Microsoft just unveiled its next generation video game console: The Xbox Series X

Release Date: Holiday 2020
Price: TBA, but can be paid in instalments of $19 per month (get the console once 18 payments have been made)

ELog5_fUEAANS0x.jpg

Features:
- new, smaller, bluetooth-enabled controller with dedicated share button and D-pad design based on the Elite Controller 2
- Controller will work wirelessly with Windows 10 PCs and Xbox (a real boon for me)
- 4K graphics at 60 fps, with the capacity to run at 120 fps (support for variable refresh rate)
- 8K capability (although to what extent and capability is unknown)
- built on custom Zen 2 and RDNA technology from AMD (4x more powerful than Xbox One X)
- GDDR 6 memory
- MS's Variable Rate Shader technology improves rendering performance without sacrificing picture quality (don't ask me how)
- custom NVMe SSD allowing near instant load times and 40x performance increase
- hardware-accelerated Ray Tracing
- Auto Low Latency Mode and Dynamic Latency Mode support for most responsive inputs (to suit even the twitchiest shooter)
- Halo Infinite and Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 only new games announced thus far, but others (GTA 6, Battlefield, etc) expected

A solid idea for what the console will be capable of

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
It looks like the new Xbox is aiming at being the most powerful console of the next generation, and it's on its way to achieve so.

Almost as much space as on the old, bulky original Xbox (2001) but with a lot more room for power (DVD and HDD took a vast space on the console)

With around 7,936 cm3 inside the xbox, and the tech developed and perfected with the Xbox One X I dond't see how Sony could match it in terms of raw power.

Next gen starts to look very interesting.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
lol all consoles are rectangles. The series X is a longer than usual rectangle I guess. It is a different design than we're use to seeing and to try to downplay that difference by calling it a rectangle seems a bit silly if not defensive to me. I think I know what they were going for — it gives it a unique form factor which can also generate interest.

Anyway, I think Microsoft will have other SKUs that might be more similar in design to the Xbox One X or S. The Series X will be the most expensive among the family of SKUs they will put out...

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Not defensive at all. I couldn't care one jot if it was the shape of a Klingon nipple, I was just saying that rectangle is probably the easiest shape in the world to slip or hideaway somewhere.

If we remember the changes to shape and profile for the PS3 phatboy (vs PS2), or the tiny Nintendo Wii, or Xbox One vs the 360, it's hard to point to a shape and say 'that's what they usually look like'

But, hey, horses for courses. We've each got to to put these machines somewhere. I usually find colour to be the most restrictive feature (i.e. lots of people will want White, lots will want Black, offering both colours would be great)

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
Series X is shaped more like a PC tower (side profile is like a tall building while the top area is a square) while all previous consoles have been more or less shaped like a brick (rectangle). Series X is a little different than what we've had and you can say the original PS3 was also a little different with it's curves. Some people will notice that difference even if you say it's the same as anything else by simply saying 'it's a rectangle'.