Nintendo 3DS - Official Thread

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="dc89, post: 5452571]I'm a little down that EU (maybe US too) don't get the Layton game as a launch title. The art direction looks fantastic on the 3DS.[/QUOTE]
Yeah + it sucks we still have no release date for the fourth DS-Layton. Might be a while before we get the 3DS one. My guess is Summer/Fall 2011 for Professor Layton and the Devil Flute and maybe Spring 2012 for Mask of Miracle. Yeah, I really do think we'll have to wait for a year or even more for the 3DS Layton. Past has shown Nintendo doesn't rush the localizations of these out and unless they decide to release the 3DS Layton first (or not release the Layton 4 at all), there's probably no way we'll see it in 2011, unless the fourth one gets a surprise release in, like, April.

I'm really looking forward to Nintendo's E3 this year. Sony are bound to show off loads of NGP stuff so Nintendo have to show off some killer games. I think a Smash Bro's game could be awesome on the 3DS because of the 3D effect and also the improved control options that the analog pad give you.

Here are some pictures comparing all the DS range.

And it as pretty cool to learn that you can scan these QR codes with the 3DS and it imports the Mii on to your console. You make your own QR codes right in the Mii Channel on the 3DS itself so anyone can share codes and Mii's instantly. People say the actually scanning of the codes is very fast and it builds the Mii instantly.

Miyamoto Mii is a must have lol!

Also:

Left to right: Kenji Inafune, Hideo Kojima, Toshihiro Nagoshi. Shinji Mikami, Hideki Kamiya

All thanks to Neogaf!

Famitsu have also announced the sales figures for the 3DS.

372,326 in the first two days. Layton was the top selling game at 117589.

Last edited:

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
I'm not sure what to expect of Nintendo from E3. I mean, there are still quite a lot of 3DS games they have ALREADY announced we literally know nothing about (Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing etc.) that I'm not sure how many completely new games they'll announce since it would seem they already have so many games that will be released within a year or so from launch, especially considering the way Nintendo announces games nowadays (sometimes mere months before release). Might be that, from Nintendo, we might just mostly get to know more about the already known games and offering completely new stuff is on the shoulders of 3rd parties. Of course I'm sure they'll announce maybe 1-2 completely new 3DS games (maybe New Super Mario Sunshine or a Legend of Zelda 3DS), but I'd think the focus will be on games that are closer to release, not necessarily on new games that might not be released before the next E3.

Avrum

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2006
I nearly forgot the 3DS could utilize QR Codes. Definitely keeping tabs on this thread so I can get down some of those Nintendo heads and game developers when I get my 3DS.

As for games, I'm with Azu that there are so many games already announced that we simply haven't seen too much of yet. And hey, if Nintendo are being truthful that they are holding back their own titles to give breathing room to third parties then they could totally unload in the Fall- holiday season area. I can definitely see Mario Kart 3DS hitting this holiday although I hope Paper Mario is a possibility as well.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
I'm not usually influienced by reviews but so many commetns of "take away the 3d and you got early PSP title graphics" really puts me off. It's true as well, aside from some of the new native 3D ones, you're basically buying some 1999 level graphics on a handheld for the price of a PS3.

Edit: Common theme as well being that it's hard to readjust your eyes to 3D after looking at the 2d screen. Also, if you move the console too much you'll get blurred vision from it. I don't doubt it will sell well but I don't think it's technically impressive from what I've heard. I'll judge first hand though and be humble enough to admit if I got it wrong.

Last edited:

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
I actually hope Paper Mario is a mid/late Summer 2011 release. It's not like Intelligent Systems has done that much recently (a port/semi-remake of a SNES Fire Emblem, a few DSiWare games). I hope that means they've put most of their work force into Paper Mario 3DS development after their last big game, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and that it's really close to completion already.

you're basically buying some 1999 level graphics on a handheld for the price of a PS3.
Umh... No. Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, Dead or Alive Dimensions and Resident Evil Revelations are much better than anything PSP ever put out. Sure, there are some horrible looking games for the system, but what did you expect from most launch titles? Just wait until better devs known for graphically impressive games (Square Enix, Capcom, Nintendo etc.) with more time for development come out with their games (for series that are usually good graphically) to properly judge what it's capable of. Still, even now it's quite clear it's not just a PSP with 3D, even if some launch-era titles look like that.

3DS is basically a slightly better Wii in portable form. And Wii can achieve awesome looking games like Super Mario Galaxy (with 3d graphics) & Muramasa: The Demon Blade (with 2d graphics), so that's what 3DS should be able to do + shaders.

Last edited:

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
I'd expect launch titles to show off the power and at the moment my iPhone 4 looks better.
Do want Zelda, secret of mana etc but if psp2 can do those via other means and it costs around the same then I know where my money is going.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Noxia, post: 5453848]I'd expect launch titles to show off the power and at the moment my iPhone 4 looks better..[/QUOTE]
Like all PS3 & 360 games didn't look like PS2/Xbox games in HD at launch, AMIRITE!!!?! \o/

Like I said, Street Fighter IV on 3DS looks great (much better than the iPhone version, with better controls, more content & great online modes to boot), almost equal to the PS360 version, only with static backgrounds (& of course in lower res). RE Revelations resembles a slightly down-ported PS360 RE. Both of them look really good.

And meh @ iPhone 4. It's a piece of crap when it comes to gaming (then again, all smartphones are) and it costs way more than a 3DS. Have fun playing Angry Birds and... uhh.. that _super-awesome_ DMC4 port. I'd rather take better controls than better graphics (and, actually, DMC4 on iPhones looks like crap).

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5453862]Like all PS3 & 360 games didn't look like PS2/Xbox games in HD at launch, AMIRITE!!!?! \o/

Like I said, Street Fighter IV on 3DS looks great (much better than the iPhone version, with better controls, more content & great online modes to boot), almost equal to the PS360 version, only with static backgrounds (& of course in lower res). RE Revelations resembles a slightly down-ported PS360 RE. Both of them look really good.

And meh @ iPhone 4. It's a piece of crap when it comes to gaming (then again, all smartphones are) and it costs way more than a 3DS. Have fun playing Angry Birds and... uhh.. that _super-awesome_ DMC4 port. I'd rather take better controls than better graphics (and, actually, DMC4 on iPhones looks like crap).[/QUOTE]

Well it's cute you took an opportunity to have a dig at Apple but yes I agree. I do not like gaming on touch devices, sure Angry Birds is fun (in 5 minute bursts).

I'd also say that resistance and Motorstorm didn't look like HD PS2 games and they were launch titles but I'm not interested in that side argument.

In 6 months time this might be super awesome but I've learnt from the mistakes of early adoption (PS3 a classic case). I'm not convinced by the 3D screen though but I would actually just buy it for Ocarina 3D, yeah I'm that sad.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Noxia, post: 5453922]I'd also say that resistance and Motorstorm didn't look like HD PS2 games and they were launch titles but I'm not interested in that side argument.[/QUOTE]
Resistance was definitely like a last-gen game in HD. Motorstorm I'll give you, that actually looked great.

In 6 months time this might be super awesome but I've learnt from the mistakes of early adoption (PS3 a classic case). I'm not convinced by the 3D screen though but I would actually just buy it for Ocarina 3D, yeah I'm that sad.
I just happen to think 3DS's launch is/could be one of the if not even THE best ever (so far), especially in Japan where Professor Layton is part of the launch-day line-up.

The only thing it really lacks is a definite SUPER-MEGA system seller AAAAAAA title like Super Mario 64 and SSX. But otherwise the quality & offerings is so diverse & good (especially in Japan) that it beats most system launches of the past. I mean, roughly in the launch period, it'll get games like Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, Dead or Alive Dimensions, Steel Diver, Pilotwings Resort, a good Pro Evolution Soccer, Ridge Racer 3D (with 150 courses, baby! though graphically it looks quite bad), Professor Layton: Mask of Miracles (Japan only), Rayman 2 port, Raving Rabbits & Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon turn-based strategy game from the creator of X-Com.

While some system launches might've had some single game that is better than any of the games listed above, this time I think quantity might go over quality. Whereas usually there has at most been a few passable previous gen up-ports & maybe one really good game, the 3DS already has a great SSFIV port, some possibly decent ports of great games and a few (potentially) great original games. Maybe it's just that most of these launch games belong to genres/series that aren't that "hot" anymore. There's no Call of Duty or even Super Mario, so people automatically assume it's a crappy launch, even though there's not one but TWO good fighting games, a couple of fun platformers, a good arcade racer, a hopefully great flight game, possibly good submarine simulator and whatnot.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
Valid points on all accounts. I'm solely interested in RPG on a handheld, so the other titles don't interest me but I'm always interested in trying new stuff.
will this offer proper WiFi online gaming? I hate the whole adhoc thing as I don't know and wouldn't hang out with people just to play a handheld game.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
At least Street Fighter IV 3D has, reportedly, great online multiplayer (and some cool multiplayer features & modes as well). At least in Japan, with their superior connections.

There should be a couple of RPGs ~soon-ish after launch; Paper Mario 3DS, which looks really good, and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor's 3DS port (with added content). You'll probably have to wait for a while until most traditional RPG devs jump on board. A lot of them are still tied to DS & PSP, so the onslaught of RPGs (which PSP & DS have been facing within the last 1-2 years) will probably not come until 2012/2013.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Eurogamer gave Ridge Racer 3D 8/10. If Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: The Shadow Wars turns out to be a disappointment, RR might be my first game for 3DS.

Which is kinda funny, considering Ridge Racer was our first game on PlayStation 1 and later for PSP and now it's possibly my first game for a Nintendo machine, and a handheld at that. :p

Firefox

Master Sage
Jan 7, 2006
Canada
[QUOTE="dc89, post: 5454823]Added a poll to the thread as most people will be making their minds up soon![/QUOTE]

I reallly want one but the main issue is price so I'll wait till that goes down a bit. So I picked the 2nd option which is funny because the 3DS has a solid lineup of games coming out+Backwards compatability+Virtual Console. :lol:

I think Street Fighter or Pilot Wings will be my first game I buy when I get the console.

I picked up Game Masters limited edition 3DS special today, 130 pages of 3DS goodness and it's really good. They go in to real depth about the console and pretty much every game coming out in 2011. Looking at Zelda and Animal Crossing has made me really nostalgic.

Do you think they could do a Smash Bro's on the 3DS?

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
I've been thinking of Pilot Wings Resort too (super-late EDIT: Eurogamer gave it a 8/10 too), but it seems like the island already used in Wii Sports Resort etc. might be the only island in the game, which is a huge disappointment. I might pick it up later on, if it ever drops in price.

And I'm not sure if 3DS will ever get a Super Smash Bros. If it will, it won't be for another 3+ years, since Sakurai is just finishing up Kid Icarus: Uprising and he'd probably want to make it at least as massive as Brawl, since 3DS is capable of that, so developing it would take time (Brawl took 4 years).

I'd actually not say no to another Jump! Superstars/Ultimate Stars, but that'd require Nintendo to get off their asses and handle all the lisencing issues so that it could be released outside Japan, or hackers to hack the 3DS to be region-free.

Last edited:

Avrum

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2006
Street Fighter looks so good, even up close in that new over the shoulder-ish view it's pretty fluid and polished looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGrFp-cBmI

I honestly don't expect a Smash game on the 3DS unless it was some kind of retread or updated port of an existing title like Melee but revamped or something. I think Smash is mostly a console oriented affair, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong as Smash on the go would be nice. As for Jump Superstars, a lot of the properties in those games have since been localized/licensed overseas right? Wouldn't it be easier for those games to come over sans any properties that haven't had any exposure? Or is licensing really still that much of a clusterf*** despite them all being under Shonen Jump in Japan? One reason why I cancelled my Netflix sub. is because I saw all the decent anime on there (which is all I really used it for) and there is no news at all about anything new going up not to mention a lot of stuff is DVD only that would make the streaming library so much larger.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
The licensing could perhaps have been manageable if the licenses are in the hands of only a couple of companies, but yeah, as far as I know, the problem with Jump franchises is that they are in the hands of so many that licensing them all not only for US but Europe as well would be a seriously massive undertaking. Europe alone might have a dozen of different companies that have the license for a single Jump manga/anime, like one for each country that localizes them.

US alone might be manageable, though, but it would just seem Nintendo sees it as a plainly Japanese title that doesn't have enough appeal outside Japan. I mean, they even leave proven decent selling franchises like Project Zero 4 unlocalized, so it's not hard to see why a harder localization with possibly even smaller appeal would not be localized.

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
[QUOTE="Avrum, post: 5456004]Street Fighter looks so good, even up close in that new over the shoulder-ish view it's pretty fluid and polished looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGrFp-cBmI

I honestly don't expect a Smash game on the 3DS unless it was some kind of retread or updated port of an existing title like Melee but revamped or something. I think Smash is mostly a console oriented affair, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong as Smash on the go would be nice. As for Jump Superstars, a lot of the properties in those games have since been localized/licensed overseas right? Wouldn't it be easier for those games to come over sans any properties that haven't had any exposure? Or is licensing really still that much of a clusterf*** despite them all being under Shonen Jump in Japan? One reason why I cancelled my Netflix sub. is because I saw all the decent anime on there (which is all I really used it for) and there is no news at all about anything new going up not to mention a lot of stuff is DVD only that would make the streaming library so much larger.[/QUOTE]

Smash would be a damn good compelling argument to get a 3DS eventually.

Especially if it has fully functional online.

So if it had a massive price drop + Smash Brothers released, I'd give it a whirl.

[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5455822]I've been thinking of Pilot Wings Resort too (super-late EDIT: Eurogamer gave it a 8/10 too), but it seems like the island already used in Wii Sports Resort etc. might be the only island in the game, which is a huge disappointment. [/QUOTE]

It is the only island in the game I think that's pretty much been confirmed. Apparently it's huge though. Like real huge.

Iwata:
"Since 1996, when Mario appeared in 3D in Super Mario 64, it's always been hard for players to judge how to jump and hit a block floating in a 3D space," Iwata said. "Miyamoto said to me, 'Finally the day has come when we can solve this.'"

Zelda looks fantastic. Out in June too!

Last edited:

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
Will Nintendo make any games aimed at adults, or stick to their usual market?

Seriously though, I really want a Paper Mario.

Last edited:

Aldebaran

Could it be...I am sleeping?
Mar 24, 2009
NYC
Correct me if I'm wrong. The region lock of the 3DS is basically the following: If your 3DS' region is NA. Then only NA 3DS games will work on it, yes? Same goes with the other regions.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="Eltimas, post: 5457636]Correct me if I'm wrong. The region lock of the 3DS is basically the following: If your 3DS' region is NA. Then only NA 3DS games will work on it, yes? Same goes with the other regions.[/QUOTE]

That is the general premise of region locking yes.

Aldebaran

Could it be...I am sleeping?
Mar 24, 2009
NYC
Then why everyone is seeing this as a problem? I don't know about them but for me usually all my games are NA. I almost never play EU or JP games on any console.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
No idea. Some games only get released in say the US and Europeans may have wanted to import these. Or they get them a lot sooner in the US at times. I expect a high % of the people complaining are doing so for the sake of it and have probably never imported a game in their life.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Try getting a EU 3DS and buying all those awesome Atlus games that get released in Europe. Oh... wait...

North Americans might not have too much to whine about except maybe for a few of those Ouendans and Jump Superstars 3DS might get, that is quirky awesome Japan only games that'll never get localized. But European gamers... We either have to often wait at least 3-6 months longer for games or we don't get some of the games at all.

I mean, my god, DS's game library would be much, much poorer for Europeans if it wasn't for its region-freeness. Games like Retro Game Challenge, Radiant Historia, Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor etc. were never released in Europe. I guess the situation might change a bit with 3DS since the games are more expensive to develop and publishers might want to get more sales by releasing games in every region when in the past some of them rarely would. But niche handheld games rarely arrive to Europe, a fact I doubt will change with the 3DS (or even NGP, but hopefully that'll be region-free).