Nintendo 3DS - Official Thread

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
I think Zelda has been confirmed for a June date.

Paper Mario might come sooner rather than later, but that's only my own speculation based on the fact that Intelligent Systems hasn't done anything noteworthy in a while so they should be nearing completion of a new game (hard to imagine it would be any kind of Fall/Holiday 2011 title, but you never know), which could/should be Paper Mario 3D and I guess it might be a late Spring 2011 or mid-Summer 2011 game.

Kid Icarus... Might be Spring 2011, might be Fall 2011. Nintendo only knows at the moment. It was once thought to be a launch title but it seems like it's not. Could be it's another game meant to fill the Summer months alongside Zelda.

Not sure if I'd recommend Super Monkey Ball, apparently it's very easy until some very late levels.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
North America, at least. Nintendo hates Europe, so it's always within doubt if we'll get something and when.

Yeah, my speculations are a bit soon, but as I said, it's not like IS has done anything remarkable in the past ~2 years. I could see Nintendo's 3DS schedule for 2011 being something like:

launch: Pilotwings & Steel Diver
by the end of May: Kid Icarus and/or Star Fox 64
June: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
July/August: Paper Mario and/or Star Fox 64 3D
September/October: Mario Kart 3DS + maybe some other, still unannounced game
November/December: Animal Crossing 3DS + maybe 1-2 other games.

Last edited:

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
Damn you Azu and DC, your enthusiasm and helpfulness in this thread has just cost me a pre-order. I'm just deciding if I take a gamble with Pilotwings Resort so I can experience a 3D game, or start on the backlog of DS games I've never played.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
ver the weeked Tesco Entertainment are running a deal where you can Preorder a 3DS for only £179, plus £10 for an additional game.

For the game you need to enter code: 3DSPreorder-1

Dont forget you can also get 9% quidco!

Offer Terms: ..*Offer only available to customers who pre-order both the 3DS hardware and software at the same time. Please add both items to your basket and enter promotional code 3DSPreorder-1 to gain the discount. Only one discounted game available per piece of hardware. Offer ends 23:59:59 on 14th March 2011. This offer is for personal use only and Tesco Entertainment reserve the right to withdraw or amend this promotion where we reasonably suspect abuse of this promotion.
So about £18 back from quidco as well + clubcard points. Winner

Edit: think its 197 not 179

Aldebaran

Could it be...I am sleeping?
Mar 24, 2009
NYC
What the hell, there's no white 3DS? That is so freaking unfair. I mean why the hell white is not a launch color? It's like a trademark color!

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="Eltimas, post: 5467879]What the hell, there's no white 3DS? That is so freaking unfair. I mean why the hell white is not a launch color? It's like a trademark color![/QUOTE]

I know what you mena, I thoguht Aqua was a very strange choice.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Remember that his is the same company that launched a PURPLE console as the only alternative (shaped like a cube, no less). Black and some kind of blue are definitely an improvment. :lol:

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Ace Attorney games are awesome. I've actually compiled a list of DS recommendations I'll flesh out with basic info & impressions as soon as some of my more immediate writing assignments for my current courses are done. The Ace Attorney series is well represented on it. :)

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5468939]Ace Attorney games are awesome. I've actually compiled a list of DS recommendations I'll flesh out with basic info & impressions as soon as some of my more immediate writing assignments for my current courses are done. The Ace Attorney series is well represented on it. :)[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see the list. I'm especially interested in RPG's (believe you are as well) and anything a bit different. Any news on if my SDHC card will work, it's not a big deal if it doesn't but I've had nothing to use it on for 3 years.

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
I did vote on the poll and took the second option - waiting a bit.

I am waiting mainly for a revision model which will make the design of the unit a little neater (I find it fussy after my DS Lite). Also something that sorts the battery issue out. Region-locking I am upset about and I am unsure how to get around it.

Other than that when those things happen and the price drops to 150 GBP (which I can see happening very soon) then perhaps the time will come to pick one up.

This way I can catch-up with DSiWare (as my DS Lite has no access to this service) and Super Mario in 3D. That is a prospect I perhaps cannot miss.

I did say a while ago that no-longer would I bother buying Mario/Zelda games and indeed any Nintendo property that they keep on churning out again and again. However the 3D aspect of platform jumping is intriguing my game-play mind.

It really is now the 3D aspect of the 3DS that is getting my attention. Online play, SpotPass, StreetPass...these things do not excite me. Just the 3D aspect combined with the visual upgrade and the DSiWare store (so I can catch up on some games).

I noticed Europe is also getting Sky and Eurosport 3D content. And Nintendo are going to be getting into video-content delivery. This does not really excite me (neither does the web-browser and ability to play music).

Last edited:

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5469012]I am waiting mainly for a revision model which will make the design of the unit a little neater (I find it fussy after my DS Lite).[/QUOTE]
You'll be waiting for at least a year or two. DS lite was released so soon because 1) there was this much more sexy PSP on the market and 2) DSPhat was considered super-bulky & fugly. Now, 3DS is pretty much like a DSlite already, so there's not much in the way they could do for a revision.

Also something that sorts the battery issue out.
Until there's some new breakthrough in battery technology, it's not going to get much better.

Region-locking I am upset about and I am unsure how to get around it.
Usually, I don't give a **** about homebrew & the hackin-scene, but this time Nintendo really dropped the ball and I hope this thing gets cracked ASAP. I'm already seeing a few 3DS games that have the danger of not being released in Europe. I'll be so pissed @ Nintendo if Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 3D isn't released in Europe.

Other than that when those things happen and the price drops to 150 GBP (which I can see happening very soon) then perhaps the time will come to pick one up.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/24501/nintendo-3ds-price-drops-to-pound187-at-morrisons/

According to them, pre-order prices are already @ 187£ at Morrisons, it's only a question of time before Amazon or similar cuts it even lower. Still, I doubt they'll go too much lower within the next year or so. AFAIK, that might already be selling them at loss, with them probably hoping that people will pick up plenty of games for them to profit on. Nintendo isn't that quick to lower the prices of their consoles. Just look at Wii. Its sales have slowed down considerably, for which one reason is probably because competitor's more powerful consoles can be bought cheaper than a Wii, and an easy remedy for it would be to lower the price of Wii, which they could easily do and still be very profitable. But they don't, for whatever reasons. So... I really doubt 3DS's price will drop to 150£ any time soon. It's not like the prices of handheld consoles have dropped quickly in the past, no reason why it would happen now. It could drop down to something like 180£ and stay there for up to 2 years, even. Unless it sells like crap, which it won't.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Bleh, Phantom Hourglass is possibly the worst Zelda ever released (excl. those that shall not be named).

-the touchscreen controls suck. It's a classic example of ignoring the always-wise "if it's not broken, don't fix it" rule. Controls were NEVEREVER an issue for anyone who's ever played a (2d) Zelda. Why they would try to "appeal to the casuals" by "simplifying" the controls is beyond me, as they made controlling much more cumbersome & clumsy than ever before. They should've at least given the option for normal controls
-the overworld is possibly the most boring one yet
-on-rails sailing isn't that fun
-the dungeons are bland
-as far as Zelda games go, it's quite mediocre in many aspects

From what I've heard, Spirit Tracks ain't much better. Never cared to spend the never comes down full Nintendo price for it to find out.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
I got them cheap off Ebay, Im more excited about Chrono Trigger and the Professor Layton games. Like the look of The World Ends With You as well.

Also, I'm not one to take reviews for gospel but I'm gonna side with Eurogamer, ONM, and just about every other site that loved Phantom Hourglass giving it a metascore of 90 :snicker.

Of course I'll make up my own mind but Links Awakening is still my favourite,

DC, throw any more games suggestions at me, money isn't an issue, time sometimes is ;)

Edit: Bought Mario & Luigi games, both of them.

Last edited:

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Noxia, post: 5470127]I got them cheap off Ebay, Im more excited about Chrono Trigger and the Professor Layton games. Like the look of The World Ends With You as well.[/QUOTE]
Now THOSE are some quality games. The World Ends With You starts off kinda annoingly emo (I'm usually annoyed with people being all "EWWWW EMO!" or "EWWWWW HIPSTER!", but TWEWY really got to me too), but it does get so much better after a couple of hours and by the end it's so awesome.

Also, I'm not one to take reviews for gospel but I'm gonna side with Eurogamer, ONM, and just about every other site that loved Phantom Hourglass giving it a metascore of 90 :snicker.

Of course I'll make up my own mind but Links Awakening is still my favourite,
Link's Awakening is, indeed, the best handheld Zelda (and up there with the best console ones, ALTTP, MM & OoT), but Phantom Hourglass... it's the only Zelda ever I haven't played completed even nearly 100%.

DC, throw any more games suggestions at me, money isn't an issue, time sometimes is ;)
Not dc, but list incoming:

Action & Action/Adventure

A Monster's Tale

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Castlevania: Portrai of Ruin

Contra 4

Dragon Ball Origins

Elebits: The Adventure of Kai and Zero

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobos Tale

Freshly Picked Tingles Rosey Rupeeland

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Mega Man ZX

Mega Man ZX Advent

Mega Man Zero Collection

Metal Slug 7

Monster's Tale

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

Okamiden: The Little Sun

Scurge: Hive

Shantae's Risky Revenge

Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble

Adventure games & Visual Novels

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright

Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright: Justice For All

Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations

Ace Attorney Apollo Justice

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

Another Code: Two Memories (EU)/Trace Memory (US)

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Jake Hunter Detective Chronicles: Memories of the Past

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West

Professor Layton & The Curious Village

Professor Layton & The Diabolical Box

Professor Layton & The Unwound Future (US)/The Lost Future (EU)

Theresia

Time Hollow

Fighting games

Bleach: Blade of Fate

Bleach: Dark Souls

Jump! Superstars

Jump! Ultimate Stars

Music games

Beat City

Daigasso: Band Brothers!

Daigasso: Band Brothers! DX

Elite Beat Agents

Jam With the Band

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2

Rhythm Heaven (US)/Paradise (EU)

Platformers

Alice in Wonderland

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure

Iwy the Kiwi?

Kirby: Canvas Curse (US)/Power Paintbrush (EU)

Kirby: Squeak Squad

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Miniland Mayhem

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again

New Super Mario Bros.

Prince of Persia: The Fallen King

Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush Adventure

Soul Bubbles

Super Princess Peach

The Legendary Starfy

Wario: Master of Disguise

Yoshi's Island 2

Puzzle

Exit DS

Meteos

Pokemon Torozei (US)/Link!

Picross

Picross 3D

Planet Puzzle League

Puzzle quest: Challenge of the Warlords

Puzzle quest 2

Scribblenauts

Super Scribblenauts

Tetris DS

Racing

Mario Kart DS

Trackmania DS

RPGs (incl. Action RPGs)

4 Warriors of Light: Final Fantasy Gaiden

Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island

Chrono Trigger DS

Contact

Dragon quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

Dragon quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen

Dragon quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride

Dragon quest VI: Realms of Reverie

Dragon quest IX: Defenders of the Sky

Dragon quest Monsters: Joker

Etrian Odyssey I

Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City

Final Fantasy III DS

Final Fantasy IV DS

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Inazuma Eleven

Infinite Space

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days

Kingdom Hearts: ReCoded

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals

Lunar Knights

Magical Starsign

Mario & Luigi 2: Partners In Time

Mario & Luigi 3: Bowser's Inside Story

Ni No Kuni: Another World

Nostalgia

Phantasy Star Zero

Pokemon Black & White

Radiant Historia

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon

Rune Factory 2: A Fantasy Harvest Moon

Rune Factory 3: A Fantasy Harvest Moon

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Suikoden: Tierkreis

Summon Night: Twin Age

The World Ends With You

Shooters

Bangai-O Spirits

Big Bang Mini

Geometry Wars: Galaxies

Nanostray 2

Space Invaders Extreme

Space Invaders Extreme 2

Strategy games (incl. SRPGs)

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Age of Empires: Age of Kings

Dawn of Heroes

Disgaea DS

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

Front Mission 1st

Heroes of Mana

Knights In the Nightmare

Lock's quest

Luminous Arc

Luminous Arc 2

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

Panzer Tactics DS

Robocalypse

Rondo of Sword

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise

Worms 2: Open Warfare

Other

Animal Crossing: Wild World

Flower, Sun and Rain

Metroid Prime Pinball

Retro Game Challenge

Trauma Center: Under The Knife

Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2

Sim City DS

WarioWare: D.I.Y

WarioWare Touched
That's the list I'm making for the "DS recommendations for 3DS owners who never owned a DS (& even if they did)" thread I'll post sometime in the future (near 3DS's launch, hopefully). Of course that one will more fleshed out with descriptions & stuff.

But yeah, I'd like to think that that's really close to being a complete list of even the least bit worthwile DS games.

Last edited: