Nintendo 3DS - Official Thread

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
Azu that is amazingly helpful thanks. My OCD compels me to start alphabetically.

Edit2: Radiant Historia seems NA only, I guess I'm stuck if 3DS doesn't multi region, or is that just on 3DS games?

My bad I was thinking of SNES A Link To The PAst. I'd love that to be on the 3DS, maybe through virtual store? Surely the 3DS can play SNES games?

Last edited:

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
Subscribed to ONM. Used to love that magazine when I was a kid! Also, they used to have a little picture of Luigi in the top right with "Stop! Press" and I always used to press the icon because I thought it was some kind of button and something should happen :|

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Noxia, post: 5470605]
Edit2: Radiant Historia seems NA only, I guess I'm stuck if 3DS doesn't multi region, or is that just on 3DS games?[/QUOTE]
The region-restrictions only affect 3DS (& maybe DSi) games. DS games work just fine. As Radiant Historia is neither, you should be fine. And I highly recommend it, it's up there with The World Ends With You as one of the best original DS JRPGs.

Also, just to mention, whenever you get around playing Radiant Historia, do remember that you can skip whole cutscenes/discussions with a press of the Start-button. Just so that you know when/if you start jumping back & forth in time and go for all alternate storylines/paths. Makes progressing through the old discussions you've already seen so much quicker. The game doesn't tell this to you (I guess it might be in the manual, but who reads them, right!), it only shows that you can somewhat fasten them by pressing X-button (you still have to watch animations etc. whereas Start-buttons skips them altogether).

My bad I was thinking of SNES A Link To The PAst. I'd love that to be on the 3DS, maybe through virtual store? Surely the 3DS can play SNES games?
It can, but it's still to be seen what Nintendo will eventually offer through Virtual Console on 3DS. At first it'll basically be all about original GameBoy (Color) games, updated 3D versions of some of those GameBoy (Color) games and some completely original DSWare games. They'll quite likely expand that to GBA-games sometime in the future and hopefully NES, SNES etc. will happen sooner rather than later. No reason not to, but... oh well, it's Nintendo. You never know with them. Sometimes they make the awesomest decisions, and then sometimes leave awesome opportunities unused.

Didn't know about Links Awakening being on DS.
There's not. 3DS will be getting a slightly 3D-enhanced re-release of it. And yes, there's no Hyrule or Zelda in the game.

Last edited:

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Noxia, post: 5471377]Azu, Nintendo should pay you. Anyhoo, just won Partners in Time on Ebay :) So that's 2 games, Chrono being the first.[/QUOTE]

It's good you are doing this. I do this also to catch up on games. Today I was looking at the top SNES and PlayStation One games. I first go to Metacritic and then research each game. One thing I found was Sony have done well in terms of getting their PlayStation One back catalogue (of the very best games) on the PlayStation Network and so I will be going and digitally buying those soon.

As for the SNES (maybe Azu can help here) I came across the following titles I want.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES - but can buy on GBA)
WarioWare: Twisted! (GBA)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (SNES - but can buy on GBA as Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)
Super Mario World (SNES - but can buy on GBA as Super Mario Advance 2)
Mario Kart Super Circuit (Similar to SNES variant)

With more to come*.

As I do not have a Wii and a lot of these games are not on the Virtual Console I am thinking of buying the GBA cartridges and using them in my DS Lite.

Edit* Chrono Trigger I have on my DS (as a re-make).
Advance Wars (GBA)
Golden Sun (GBA)
Sonic Advance (GBA)

Last edited:

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5471592]It's good you are doing this. I do this also to catch up on games. Today I was looking at the top SNES and PlayStation One games. I first go to Metacritic and then research each game. One thing I found was Sony have done well in terms of getting their PlayStation One back catalogue (of the very best games) on the PlayStation Network and so I will be going and digitally buying those soon.

As for the SNES (maybe Azu can help here) I came across the following titles I want.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
WarioWare: Twisted!
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)
Super Mario World (Super Mario Advance 2)
Mario Kart Super Circuit

With more to come.

As I do not have a Wii and a lot of these games are not on the Virtual Console I am thinking of buying the GBA cartridges and using them in my DS Lite.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe Minish Cap was a SNES release, but those games are great. Really loved Mario World 2

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Wasib, post: 5471592]

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES - but can buy on GBA)
WarioWare: Twisted! (GBA)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (SNES - but can buy on GBA as Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)
Super Mario World (SNES - but can buy on GBA as Super Mario Advance 2)
Mario Kart Super Circuit (Similar to SNES variant)[/quote]
So.. do you want plain SNES games, GBA ports of SNES games or GBA games? That list pretty much has them all, so I'm not sure what to recommend. :D

Wasib

Super Elite
Feb 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 5471635]So.. do you want plain SNES games, GBA ports of SNES games or GBA games? That list pretty much has them all, so I'm not sure what to recommend. :D[/QUOTE]

Let us go with SNES re-makes. Unless somehow I can track down old SNES games...but that may cost a tidy sum of money.

This link is exceptional.

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/1528/

I think I have to decide - either take the re-makes on the GBA or the SNES equivalents on the Virtual Console. Hmmm - not easy.

Last edited:

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Hmm... Well, the SNES games I can think of that've gotten a release on GBA, in addition to the games you already listed:

-Breath of Fire I & II
-Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 & 3
-Tales of Phantasia
-Lost Vikings
-Final Fantasy IV Advance
-Final Fantasy V Advance
-Final Fantasy VI Advance
-Blackthorne
-Prehistorik Man
-some of those Mickey's Magical Quest platformers
+ Mother I + II (Earthbound Zero & 1), but it was never released outside Japan.

If you don't have a Wii, I'd say it's almost worth it this point even only for the Virtual Console. You can catch up on so many classics that got a limited run previously (Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber) or were never released outside Japan (Sin & Punishment, and technically Super Mario Bros. 2).

Oh, yeah, and if you are considering GBAs Mario Kart, you might want to check out F-Zero: Maximum Velocity and F-Zero: GP Legend. Both fun portable F-Zeros, if you like the series.

Last edited:

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="dc89, post: 5471947]If PS1 games on the PSP Go has anything to go by it would be a combination of buttons pressed.

It can either work or it fails.[/QUOTE]

It failed for me on PSP :(

Avrum

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2006
[QUOTE="Noxia, post: 5471927]I didn't know N64 games were being released on store! How would that work though, didn't N64 controller have more buttons?[/QUOTE]

They could always map certain functions to the touch screen especially when in many cases the C-Buttons were mainly for camera control which can regulated through stylus control on the touch screen in a more dynamic way.

They were able to make Mario 64 work with the DS and now Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. I think that at least for most games they'll be able to manage.