Nintendo may move away from home console development, says company president

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa has hinted that the hard- and software developer may move away from home console design in the future to ensure the developer remains flexible to the changing demands of the entertainment business.

"We aren't really fixated on our consoles," Furukawa told Nikkei (via, and translated by, Nintendo Everything). "At the moment we're offering the uniquely developed Nintendo Switch and its software - and that's what we're basing how we deliver the 'Nintendo experience' on. That being said, technology changes. We'll continue to think flexibly about how to deliver that experience as time goes on.

"It has been over 30 years since we started developing consoles. Nintendo's history goes back even farther than that, and through all the struggles that they faced the only thing that they thought about was what to make next. In the long-term, perhaps our focus as a business could shift away from home consoles - flexibility is just as important as ingenuity."

Asked about how Nintendo intends to adapt to "fluctuations" in the industry, Furukawa added he was "thinking about little ways we can reduce that kind of instability" and said he'd "like to increase" Nintendo's smartphone game development to secure "a continuous stream of revenue". "We're also dabbling in theme parks and movies - different ways to have our characters be a part of everyday life. I'm anticipating a strong synergy like that," he said.

"I don't want our developers to think too much along the lines of 'what should I do if we fail?'" he added. "My most important role is to facilitate an environment in which they can demonstrate their own abilities. I'm not a pro developer myself, so I leave the actual development to leaders that can tell what a good game is and what isn't."

The Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling video game system in the US this generation. From launch in March 2017, through to November 2018, Nintendo's hybrid console sold more than 8.7 million units.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...me-console-development-says-company-president

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah I hope not for the time being. Once I finish my overseas trip im getting myself a Switch. Yeah with the times changing and doing some smartphone stuff as well as changes in the industry I think this is part of the reason they brought a stake in Cygames when they helped fund Dragalia Lost.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
The market leads to a certain way, home consoles share of it dropping for sure, but calling out of this market when you were the first one that in it, is not because the market is getting small because you had made zero move to adapt new generation of gamers. Console market is still huge. Idiot people pays more to a clicking game, that is right. Yet there are millions like me who buys and plays real games too. This guys are nuts if they just quit. They all need is a change.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yup console market is still big and I hope it doesn't go all digital which is MS true goal. Nintendo you doing well with Switch so you should keep going and you innovated in the past hopefully you can focus on that for the future.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
It is always difficult to predict what system Nintendo will develop for the next generation. I think the Nintendo Switch is the result of them combining their console and handheld divisions. I would like to think they might simply release a more powerful Switch (Switch 2 or whatever they might call it) with a couple new features, similarly to how they improved upon the DS with the 3DS.

Two4DaMoney

Master Sage
Jun 4, 2007
Are they scared of trying to innovate and failing again? Do they want to go multiplat? I don't really get it.

The switch model works. Stick to that model while bringing your online up to par. Switch 2 seems like the easy answer.