Nintendo Switch

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
While I am excited to get my Switch tomorrow, I have found out a few things that sort of disappoint me.

1. Game saves directly to device with no option to transfer saves.
- This is a terrible idea because you are limited to a single Nintendo Switch console. And if yours breaks, you will have to send it to Nintendo with your new console to have your saves transfered. You can not save them to the external SD card or the game card itself. All saves are stored on the 32gb internal storage.

2. Friend codes have returned
- 12 digit codes suck for everything. Even more so for adding friends. Nintendo claims this allows for added security however.

3. No media streaming
- As of right now there are no media apps for the Nintendo Switch. This is a gaming device only. Normally that would be just fine with me, but this is a device on the go as well. Who doesn't like to watch movies on the go?

Cuguy

Elite Sage
Mar 9, 2007
www.psu.com
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6526775]While I am excited to get my Switch tomorrow, I have found out a few things that sort of disappoint me.

1. Game saves directly to device with no option to transfer saves.
- This is a terrible idea because you are limited to a single Nintendo Switch console. And if yours breaks, you will have to send it to Nintendo with your new console to have your saves transfered. You can not save them to the external SD card or the game card itself. All saves are stored on the 32gb internal storage.

2. Friend codes have returned
- 12 digit codes suck for everything. Even more so for adding friends. Nintendo claims this allows for added security however.

3. No media streaming
- As of right now there are no media apps for the Nintendo Switch. This is a gaming device only. Normally that would be just fine with me, but this is a device on the go as well. Who doesn't like to watch movies on the go?[/QUOTE]

i can't wait to hear your full verdict... i am so tempted to get one right off the bat, but feel like I should wait.

oh, and Hi :)

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Cuguy, post: 6526818]i can't wait to hear your full verdict... i am so tempted to get one right off the bat, but feel like I should wait.

oh, and Hi :)[/QUOTE]

Hey stranger! I will definitely do a full review of the Switch.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
The last Nintendo consoles I bought were New 3DS XL (Majoras Mask edition) and Wii. I have a dozen or more games for each and they're all good games.

When I look at the Wii U library, I can't find more than 8 games I'd buy (10-12 is my usual minimum for buying a system): New SMB U, DKC Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Zelda Wind Waker HD, Zelda Twilight Princess HD, Yoshi's Woolly World, Nintendo Land. I have no interest in Mario Maker and I haven't played a Super Smash Bros game since N64. Splatoon seems alright but it reminds me of an altered FPS version of Epic Mickey.

With Switch, there's only 3 games I'd buy from everything Nintendo listed for 2017, two of which are carry-overs from Wii U. Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Odyssey. Many of the other games listed (Sonic Mania, etc.) will be on other platforms such as PC/PS4/XB1 which will provide better graphics and gameplay.

Nintendo could use some exclusive IPs that have no connection to Mario, Zelda, or Donkey Kong. I'm not saying get rid of them entirely. There's a huge fan base for the established franchises and they're usually good games but it's sort of beating a dead Epona.

The Switch lineup is pretty much geared towards casual gamers, the same as the NES mini. They went with easy functionality and portability over trying to compete with the current titans of home console gaming.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="-Dj-, post: 6526839]lick the game[/QUOTE]

I bet this is the first thing people do when they buy their first game.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6526841]I bet this is the first thing people do when they buy their first game.[/QUOTE]
I know it's the first thing I do when I get a new game.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6526844]I know it's the first thing I do when I get a new game.[/QUOTE]

Just licked my game and it is bitter as shit! It is weird. It immediately puts a bad taste on your tongue and lips.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="-Dj-, post: 6526839]lick the game[/QUOTE]
Many years from now, someone will write sacred text dedicated to video games and those three words will be immortalized.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6526852]Sounds like you were going to town on it.[/QUOTE]

I only know 1 way to lick.....

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
Meh, yet another underpowered, no games, gimmicky, kiddie console. Fuck Nintendo to hell! No way am i falling for this shit!!!!

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6526876]Meh, yet another underpowered, no games, gimmicky, kiddie console. Fuck Nintendo to hell! No way am i falling for this shit!!!![/QUOTE]

I'm seriously debating on just returning it.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Got everything hooked up. What a boring ass console right now. There is absolutely nothing to do but play Zelda. This is the most bare boned console release I have seen since 1996.

Zelda is awesome however. But other than Zelda, there is literally nothing to do with this thing. Nintendo has a lot of work ahead.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6526881]Those screens look crap, loads of aliasing.

Worse than the PS3 release in terms of games?[/QUOTE]

The screenshots look terrible compared to the actual game. I think these are compressed or something?

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
I took it back. It doesn't bring anything new that I'm interested in. If it was a true successor from the Wii U with games to boot, I'd keep it. I don't need or want a portable Wii U.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6526880]A couple snapshots I took.

[/QUOTE]
I'm not a Zelda fan but I have to say this look really pretty for something you can play on the go.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6526912]I'm not a Zelda fan but I have to say this look really pretty for something you can play on the go.[/QUOTE]

It is actually very pretty. The pictures do not do the game justice at all.

I just bought Fast RMX and it is pretty cool. Feels a lot like F-Zero. Game is very pretty too.

Last edited:

sneezymarble

Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2008
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6526898]I took it back. It doesn't bring anything new that I'm interested in. If it was a true successor from the Wii U with games to boot, I'd keep it. I don't need or want a portable Wii U.[/QUOTE]

Took mine back, too. It's not for me. I don't want a portable. And if I did, my god, who put the charging port on the bottom of this thing? This was the first Nintendo console I've bought since the N64, and I was quickly reminded why I haven't. It seems pretty clear Nintendo wants out of the home console business, as this thing makes a truly atrocious console. What's worse is it's a mediocre handheld.

Nintendo, get out of the hardware business. You don't know what you're doing. They make wonderful games, but my god, their hardware designs are just horrible and so is there OS/UI design. Just stop. Become a software company like Sega. I'll just wait till CEMU gets Zelda running well and buy it again for PC. I'm out Nintendo.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6527342]Actually, I've stayed with it. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. Zelda is priceless. It's a gem for sure.[/QUOTE]

Zelda is hands down the game of the year. No game will beat it this year.