No Man's Sky headed to Xbox One, next big update arrives this summer

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Hello Games has announced that its ever-expanding space exploration sim No Man's Sky will get its next big update this summer, and will also be heading to Xbox One.

The new update has been given the name NEXT, because, says Hello Games' Sean Murray, "it's an important next step on a longer journey for us and the community." No Man's Sky previous update, Atlas Rises, launched in August last year.

There's no word yet on what, exactly, NEXT will bring to No Man's Sky, but Murray calls it the "biggest update so far". It's seemingly so big, in fact, that it even gets its own logo.

NEXT follows on from No Man's Sky's Foundation, Pathfinder, and Atlas Rises updates, which have all radically increased the scope of the game, introducing the likes of base building, farming, vehicular exploration, questing, and even the beginnings of online multiplayer.

When it launches this summer, No Man's Sky NEXT will be free to existing players. Murray says, "we'll continue to support No Man's Sky in this way for the foreseeable future".

Perhaps more notable is the announcement that No Man's Sky is heading to Xbox One, marking an end to its PlayStation 4 console exclusivity. The Xbox One version will include all previous updates, as well as the new NEXT update at launch, and will be enhanced for Xbox One X with HDR and 4K support. A physical edition will be released worldwide by 505 Games.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...rrives-this-summer-also-launching-on-xbox-one

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I have not played this game since it first came out. I think I am going to wait for the Summer update and then try this game out again. I hear it is nothing like it was when it first released. And that must be a good thing.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
This is the one thing that I do not like with this generation in general. It is developers rushing to put games out and then patching and adding things as they go along. Why not take the time and come out with a complete experience from the get go? The Division, Destiny, No Man's Sky are all examples of this.

Good to see that these guys got it right when it comes to adding content.

H

Hedon

This is the one thing that I do not like with this generation in general. It is developers rushing to put games out and then patching and adding things as they go along. Why not take the time and come out with a complete experience from the get go? The Division, Destiny, No Man's Sky are all examples of this.

Good to see that these guys got it right when it comes to adding content.
What amazes me is that we went from 512mb/8gb games to over 100gb games, and some patches are like 50gb.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
What amazes me is that we went from 512mb/8gb games to over 100gb games, and some patches are like 50gb.
Graphics got better, as did audio (would think that it is largely uncompressed right now because you have the space for that on disc), so I would assume that that is what is accounting for the increase in size. What bothers me is that there are people who are struggling to get games right first time of asking. Sony had it right last year with Horizon Zero Dawn, and boy have they knocked it out of the park with God of War. This is what you would ideally want to see, not the constant balance changes and patches in beat em ups, or the constant patches we seem to be seeing in some of these shooters. By and large, developers got into this generation thinking that they can simply get out a shoddy product for the most part and work on patches going forward and that is a hard well on a game that shifts at $60 and has paid expansions or has you pay for the season pass.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
...not the constant balance changes and patches in beat em ups, or the constant patches we seem to be seeing in some of these shooters. By and large, developers got into this generation thinking that they can simply get out a shoddy product for the most part and work on patches going forward and that is a hard well on a game that shifts at $60 and has paid expansions or has you pay for the season pass.
To be fair, when it comes to fighting games like Street Fighter, balance changes and updated rosters were common as early as the second game in 1992/1993. So I don't think it has so much do with developers' mindsets changing as it does with ease of access via the internet for the industry and consumers.

But I think the issue with Hello Games has more to do with how they previewed No Man's Sky and straight up lied about what you would be able to do. If I remember correctly, this deceptive behavior continued after the setback they experienced when their office was flooded.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
When Atlas Rises launched, i built a subterranean greenhouse. Took me like 10 hours...

Content with the masterpiece i'd created, I went off to do some exploring through the galaxy, only to return to find my subterranean greenhouse all blocked up with earth (or dirt as the case is not actually on 'earth').

Have not played since... If the underground building has had its bugs ironed out, i may go back and unearth my greenhouse... it also rained inside my base at times :cry:

Hello Games have added quite a lot of content as they've gone along, hopefully this adds to that trend!

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
I have not played this game since it first came out. I think I am going to wait for the Summer update and then try this game out again. I hear it is nothing like it was when it first released. And that must be a good thing.
You and me both! I got so damn bored with it, but after hearing about the updates over the years I'm inclined to try it out again.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
To be fair, when it comes to fighting games like Street Fighter, balance changes and updated rosters were common as early as the second game in 1992/1993. So I don't think it has so much do with developers' mindsets changing as it does with ease of access via the internet for the industry and consumers.

But I think the issue with Hello Games has more to do with how they previewed No Man's Sky and straight up lied about what you would be able to do. If I remember correctly, this deceptive behavior continued after the setback they experienced when their office was flooded.
Biggest problem I have with the constant changes is how different you need to play each character. It also isn't that there is just one balance change; this game launched incomplete and felt incomplete. I do not know that Capcom knew what they wanted to with the title and had a grasp on how they wanted every character to play. So you have Ryu who was good in season 1 but has been low tier since, you have Cammy who has been getting buff after buff, you have Abigail who just got somewhat patched while they keep launching characters that are not viable like Zeku and Sakura and patching them up later. They sometimes make the better characters better while making worse characters weaker.......I sometimes struggle to see the sense in it all.