Nolan North recast as Destiny's Ghost

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
He will be doing all the existing recordings too. Dont have a link on tapatalk. Previous voice was done by Peter D, aka Tyrion of Game of Thrones. I figure he was too busy to carry on.

Sent from my GT-I9000

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Yeah I'm sure it was due to the lackluster performance. Nolan North is at the pinnacle of voice acting so makes sense. Sorry for the blunder but here's one of the industries best to do it. I'm betting Dinklage is not very cheap to get these days. Has popularity is very high.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6465728]Or perhaps to make up for the poor performance of Peter D.[/QUOTE]

I'm in two minds about his performance...it was flat at times but I liked the laid back nature of Ghost. Looking forward to hearing Nolan's interpretation.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Not for the millions who log on daily to play. ;) It is part of the upcoming expansion which is bringing tonnes of new content, including this recast.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 6465786]Nice. Nolan North is the best in the world at what he does.[/QUOTE]

Him and Troy...basically got VA monopoly.

Sent from my GT-I9000

XperienZ

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2007
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6465779]They have to justify the time grinding in some way.[/QUOTE]

Still haven't justified the price though as far as I'm concerned.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6465789]Him and Troy...basically got VA monopoly.

Sent from my GT-I9000[/QUOTE]

I know I've never understood that. Mostly because of the fact that a lot of characters start sounding exactly the same. I.E. Drake and President in Saints Row. He didn't really put much inflection on it to change it much. If I had the opportunity I would try to look outside the box than the same two guys everyone uses. They are great no doubt but there are others that are great as well. Liam O'Brien being one of my favorites. Grimoire Weiss and Caius Ballad had awesome voices because of him.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="XperienZ, post: 6465813]Still haven't justified the price though as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

That's the joke, it isn't really possible.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="XperienZ, post: 6465813]Still haven't justified the price though as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

Being someone who has paid for all the content so far, I only had issue with the first as far as the price/value ratio goes. The second was much better and brought some game changing elements. TTK is basically Destiny 1.5 and is bringing more new weapons and armor than vanilla destiny had, more game changing elements (armor reforging), new voice work for Ghost, raid, pvp maps, pve area, new story etc etc.

Most people I know who play Destiny have put upward of 1000 hours into the game, and thats the lower end of the spectrum. People who play it like us, of which there are millions, will find the price justified. Someone who just wants to zap through the story quests might not.

I used to think the dlcs were over priced but at the end of the day they've all provided dozens upon dozens upon dozens of additional hours so I don't regret getting them one bit.

@Freak, to North's credit, I saw a video of him doing 16 of his VG character voices and they were pretty unique. President wasn't in there though. Youtube "16 voices you didn't know Nolan North could do" (or something like that)

Sent from my GT-I9000

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6465853]Am I the only one who thinks Peter Dinklage wasn't actually that bad??[/QUOTE]

The redo wasn't bad but his performance seemed so dry and unemotional.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6465842]Being someone who has paid for all the content so far, I only had issue with the first as far as the price/value ratio goes. The second was much better and brought some game changing elements. TTK is basically Destiny 1.5 and is bringing more new weapons and armor than vanilla destiny had, more game changing elements (armor reforging), new voice work for Ghost, raid, pvp maps, pve area, new story etc etc.

Most people I know who play Destiny have put upward of 1000 hours into the game, and thats the lower end of the spectrum. People who play it like us, of which there are millions, will find the price justified. Someone who just wants to zap through the story quests might not.

I used to think the dlcs were over priced but at the end of the day they've all provided dozens upon dozens upon dozens of additional hours so I don't regret getting them one bit.

@Freak, to North's credit, I saw a video of him doing 16 of his VG character voices and they were pretty unique. President wasn't in there though. Youtube "16 voices you didn't know Nolan North could do" (or something like that)

Sent from my GT-I9000[/QUOTE]

Oh i know he's good. I've heard multiple voices that I didn't realize was him until there was a hint of his normal voice in there. There's a reason him and troy are the peak of gaming VA. i just wish there was a bit of diversity but I guess if you can do it all, no reason to stray.

As for Destiny, I personally don't see how everyone has milked so much out of it. But hey more power to those that have. Me personally, I didn't buy any of the extra content but they oversold the experience imo. You had to spend money too quickly to extend the offering. At least from my experience. It was simply over grinding what you've already played to get more out of your experience. I don't take anything away from the game itself because it is a very solid shooter. But long standing value was not its strong suit.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6465856]Oh i know he's good. I've heard multiple voices that I didn't realize was him until there was a hint of his normal voice in there. There's a reason him and troy are the peak of gaming VA. i just wish there was a bit of diversity but I guess if you can do it all, no reason to stray.

As for Destiny, I personally don't see how everyone has milked so much out of it. But hey more power to those that have. Me personally, I didn't buy any of the extra content but they oversold the experience imo. You had to spend money too quickly to extend the offering. At least from my experience. It was simply over grinding what you've already played to get more out of your experience. I don't take anything away from the game itself because it is a very solid shooter. But long standing value was not its strong suit.[/QUOTE]

It is kunda crazy how the VA industry is basically those two. I was certain Troy was the FO4 male character too, but hes not.

Destiny is all about the people you play with and the journey for the gear that you take together. I wouldn't be as into it as I am were it not for the guys in my clan. Getting in party chat and running the weekly content is a nice way to unwind.

Sent from my GT-I9000

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Fair enough. I never really got too into it with a core group. But i simply got tired of the grind and i cut it short way before most did. But like i said, no sweat off my back. People enjoy it a lot and good for them. I just never could justify playing the same things over and over for better gear.

Nick_Scryer

Super Elite
May 19, 2007
At Home
www.youtube.com
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6465853]Am I the only one who thinks Peter Dinklage wasn't actually that bad??[/QUOTE]

I didn't mind him at all. Everyone says he's too bored and unemotional but...he's a tiny flying robot who has to talk through the same few missions over and over again. Not expecting him to ecstatic about that :)

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Yeah he was a robot. He didn't necessarily need to have that much personalty or have varying octaves.

I've broken my Destiny addiction I haven't played in a few weeks now probably nearing a month. I can't even be bothered to do the last step of a level 35 PoE for my 'special' banner thing.

Nakatomi Uk

Master Poster
Feb 4, 2008
Uk
I didn't mind him it was a small GHOST who was there to provide info on the situation at hand it was not like we had DATA from Star Trek who knew everything and I don't think it was all Peter Dinkerage's fault partially Bungie were to blame they were the ones who wanted him to act the voice like that and they changed it to sound robotic end of the day Peter just read the lines tried to do what was best and add some humor but Bungie wanted it how it was.

But I've had enough of Destiny £40 for an expansion I won't even have time for anymore not even any computer game as in November my first born will be here and that will be more important.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="darky89, post: 6465928]The writing for your ghost was pretty terrible. I don't think there's anything wrong with Peter D's performance, it just wasn't funny when they were trying to be.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's another thing. People say he's a robot but he would try to convey sorrow, joy, and excitement at times and it failed miserably IMO.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Nick_Scryer, post: 6465890]I didn't mind him at all. Everyone says he's too bored and unemotional but...he's a tiny flying robot who has to talk through the same few missions over and over again. Not expecting him to ecstatic about that :)[/QUOTE]

343 Guilty Spark says hi.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6466100]343 Guilty Spark says hi.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Just Because it's a robot doesn't mean it has to be soulless. Like i said earlier, there we're times where you could tell there was a hint of excitement or other emotions but it was just flat. Hell Claptrap is a robot and he's one of the best video game characters ever imo.