Notebook Vs Desktop

Jan 9, 2007
There's been lots of talk in the news recently about the rising popularity of notebook PC's and the slow fall of desktop PC's.

As the proud owner of a fairly kick-ass new laptop, it's easy to see why they're becoming more popular as mobile GPU's are catching up to their desktop counterparts, playing games on the move is a reality and wireless hotspots are everywhere.

I doubt I'll ever buy a desktop machine again.

How many of you guys are still using desktop PC's, and would you consider dumping it for a more svelte and mobile platform?

A

Appolyons

Seeing as I'm the only one thats so far voted...the poll doesnt say much but I use a desktop PC. We can sit around and chat all day about the rising popularity of notebooks but we have no numbers to look at in terms of the public nor do we have overall sale numbers. We must give fair credit where it is due and for starters, Intels Core 2 Duo and even quad were originally notebook processors. I tip my cap to that. Nevertheless, people buying/playing on notebooks will be paying more for less...that simple (in generalities...you could always buy a used one I suppose). Desktops should be, at least in my mind, known for raw power seeing as its not going to be moving anytime soon. In short, I dont care how fast/popular notebooks are, desktops will always be a few steps ahead.

Feb 12, 2007
Notebooks will never catch up to desktops in terms of anything most likely. But i agree if i had the money I'd buy a fully loaded laptop, instead of a desktop. But i like using desktops you get more bang for your buck. For gamers i think most of them will stick to desktops, but i'm sure for the everyday, or a worker type person would much rather have a small laptop to lug around instead of a giant desktop.

Dec 3, 2006
I have a desktop PC, laptop and a Mac. Can't I vote for all three?

I have to agree with above posters. It's all about what you use your computer/s for. A media junkie such as myself would prefer a desktop with a large monitor, a fast processor, and plenty of hard drive space. A businessperson or a student would prefer a notebook they can carry around. And Macs... well... whatever.

As Appolyons said, desktop will always be step ahead technology-wise, and notebooks will always be ahead innovation-wise... if that makes any sense.

Hazaro

Superior Member
Nov 15, 2006
Desktop, much easier to change parts and upgrade.
Also don't have to worry about heat as much, also faster processors.

Longhorn

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2006
I like to separate the two... Powerful desktop + huge LCD and small/mobile laptop. What's the point of being able to game outside of your home? There's no point in going somewhere if you're just going to game, except for maybe a friend's house, a LAN function, or something similar. Even then, unless you're self employed or work in the gaming industry, it seems like a lost cause. The point of a laptop is mobility, so smaller/lighter is king (to a certain degree, of course).

Mar 19, 2006
I travel a lot, so a laptop is very convenient for me, but judging in terms of power and usability, I think a desktop is always better if you have access to one./

badz_ps3

Master Poster
Mar 21, 2006
ps3forums.com
two things, in your poll you forgot to add "both" as an option if u do infact use both..

second, as a few have said, both have their advantages and disadvantages... i for one love my desktop for sheer power and easy upgradability. laptops are great for mobility. as far as one or the other getting phased out?? i highly doubt that. i dont see laptops taking on quad sli anytime soon ;)

Mar 24, 2007
I use both. My desktop is awesome for gaming, and I use my laptop for college work. I just find that the battery life is awful if it has anywhere near high end componants for gaming (especially since I like games to look their best). I also doubt my laptop could run Oblivion at 1920x1200. Here are some specs of my main gaming rig:

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
2GB G. Skill DDR2-800
HIS X1900XT 512MB (640/1500)
Abit AB9 Pro Motherboard v1.5 BIOS
X-Fi Xtreme Music edition

My laptop:
Core 2 Duo T5600 @ 1.83GHz
1GB DDR2-667
X1400 Hypermemory (holds its own for mild apps, not serious gaming, but I don't use it for that)

The lovely monitor: A BenQ FP241W which should arrive tomorrow morning.

Jan 9, 2007
[QUOTE="badz_ps3, post: 0]...in your poll you forgot to add "both" as an option if u do infact use both...[/quote]

There are obviously some very spoilt / lucky b*st*rds here.

I would go get myself a truly ninja desktop machine, but I've not got the space at the moment, which is why I opted for a high-end notebook instead.

Which is:

Rock Pegasus 665
Intel Core2Duo T7600 2.13Ghz
2Gb DDR2 PC5300
nVidia Gefore Go 7600 256Mb
100Gb 7600rpm HDD

cpike84

Apprentice
Nov 6, 2006
I have both as well, and both are great gaming machines.

Desktop:

AMD 4000 @ 2.4ghz
2gb DDR Corsair XMS memory
Radeon X1950XTX 512mb
X-Fi Gamer Sound Card
1 terabyte of disk space total

Laptop:

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0ghz w/ 4mb cache
2gb DDR2 memory
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 Go 256mb
X-Fi Mobile Sound Blaster
100gb 7200rpm HD

I use my desktop all the time while I'm at home, and I prefer it because of the the larger amount of disk space and the 20.1" screen. My laptop is a beast for when I'm at friends houses' which is just about every weekend. I don't like lugging my desktop around every weekend, so I only take it out for the big LAN parties every few months. My laptop still has an absolutely beautiful 17" widescreen that supports resolutions of 1920x1200. Games look phenominal on this thing. I still can't believe how much better WoW looks on this thing than on my desktop because of the higher resolution.

Both machines are very similar in performance. The desktop has the edge on gaming, the laptop has the edge on processor performance. I like both and surely could not do with just one or the other.

badz_ps3

Master Poster
Mar 21, 2006
ps3forums.com
[QUOTE="clockwork_satan, post: 0]There are obviously some very spoilt / lucky b*st*rds here.

I would go get myself a truly ninja desktop machine, but I've not got the space at the moment, which is why I opted for a high-end notebook instead.

Which is:

Rock Pegasus 665
Intel Core2Duo T7600 2.13Ghz
2Gb DDR2 PC5300
nVidia Gefore Go 7600 256Mb
100Gb 7600rpm HDD[/QUOTE]

spoiled? i dont think thats the right word to use when all the $$ ive spent on my computers has been my own and no one else's. if your work is computer related and you are in school pursuing a computer related degree, then i dont see what the issue is.

Kougaiji

Elite Member
Mar 12, 2005
I don't like that I can't change out the hardware in my notebook and that it costs a BIG premium to get close to the same stuff as you can on your desktop. Notebooks aren't overtaking desktops, the desktop people are just satisfied enough with what they have that they can finally afford a notebook. I know I've had the same PC for 6 years now and I've changed out the RAM once and the GPU twice and it plays games just fine (WoW, GW, HL2 related, NFS and racers, and RTSs are what I play the most) - i also got a new sound card just for the hell of it. It's more than paid itself off and I will be getting a laptop in addition to this, but that doesn't mean I'll stop using my desktop.

Heck... with vista here there's just so many more reasons for me not to get another desktop.

There are many things that notebooks cannot do that makes it worthwile to have a desktop. If I can change out the hardware in a notebook (get new processor or motherboard, new gpus, etc) then I will SERIOUSLY consider replacing my desky...

spoiled? i dont think thats the right word to use when all the $$ ive spent on my computers has been my own and no one else's. if your work is computer related and you are in school pursuing a computer related degree, then i dont see what the issue is.
I know what you mean. I have the same passion for modifying (well, everything, but specifically) my car. It's a few times more expensive than gaming to really get going in the modifying scene, and there are people who don't understand it that always wonder why I would spend the money on it or why I need half the stuff in the car, but... it's a hobby and it's my money.

H

Hempeater

I still use a desktop. However I wouldn't mind switching over to laptop use. In fact the reason I haven't gotten an MacBook Pro yet is because of the reason I used to play a lot of games on the PC. But I've moved away, so I'll most likely be getting one soon.

Mobile GPU's "catching up" is a relative term... Yes, the gap is much smaller now than it was before, but the top of the line "Go" cards are still leaps and bounds below what a dedicated top of the line Desktop GPU can do.

That said, I just got a new laptop with Vista and a built-in GF6150... Not the best card in the world, but guess what? It's actually better than my current desktop (thinking of replacing it soon).

I might be getting a Mac, as well (we'll see how far my wallet stretches).

Jan 9, 2007
[QUOTE="badz_ps3, post: 0]spoiled? i dont think thats the right word to use when all the $$ ive spent on my computers has been my own and no one else's. if your work is computer related and you are in school pursuing a computer related degree, then i dont see what the issue is.[/quote]

...Ah, I can see that my brand of humour is lost on some people...

cpike84

Apprentice
Nov 6, 2006
[QUOTE="The_One, post: 0]

That said, I just got a new laptop with Vista and a built-in GF6150... Not the best card in the world, but guess what? It's actually better than my current desktop (thinking of replacing it soon).

[/quote]

I used to own a laptop with that GF6150... that card blows total *** sorry to say. I had to play WoW on absolutely minimum settings at 1024x768 on it and it looked so bad. The rest of that laptop was great. It had a turion 64x2 proc and 2gb ram, so it was just the video that was lacking. I sold it and got the beefed up Inspiron E1705 from Dell.

The "Go" series cards are definitely the best for laptops.

Also, the guy with the 6 year old computer must be struggling to play much of anything. A 6 year old computer must be about a Pentium 3... 500-1000mhz range. Even with a decent card in it, it would struggle to run well. The memory max would also be 512mb-1gb so I really don't get how you are playing HL2, WoW, and all these newer games on it. Perhaps you exaggerated a bit and it isn't as old as you say. Just be more careful about that.

Dec 10, 2005
drgf.notlong.com
I have a desktop and plan to get another in a couple of months. I plan to get a Core 2 E6700 (2.66 Ghz) or the Core 2 QX6700(2.66 Ghz Ghz) with 2 GB RAM and a NVD 8800 or ATI's new thing I am waiting for April to see how both the cards compare before I decide.

6-7 year old PC isn't that bad, but it can't play much of anything new though. I myself have a 6 year old PC its one of the first P4s with no HT or anything 1.8 Ghz 256 Mb RAM with ATI 9600 AGP card. It plays HL2 with some lagged parts, but only for a minute or two and overall at a decent FPS. It does get annoying playing CS Source with office map or something when frags blow things everywhere get big fps drop, but other than that my PC does okay with it. Map loading is the only bad part takes too long for HL2, CSS isn't bad though. BattleField 2 takes like 30 mins to load a map so yeah that sucks by time its done loading a map the match is over so I can't play BF 2 til I get a better PC.

cpike84

Apprentice
Nov 6, 2006
Deadly... that pc your building is almost the exact same thing I'm going to build. I'm getting 4gb of ram though, which is much needed for DX10 gaming on a Vista pc.

Kougaiji

Elite Member
Mar 12, 2005
[QUOTE="cpike84, post: 0]I used to own a laptop with that GF6150... that card blows total *** sorry to say. I had to play WoW on absolutely minimum settings at 1024x768 on it and it looked so bad. The rest of that laptop was great. It had a turion 64x2 proc and 2gb ram, so it was just the video that was lacking. I sold it and got the beefed up Inspiron E1705 from Dell.

The "Go" series cards are definitely the best for laptops.

Also, the guy with the 6 year old computer must be struggling to play much of anything. A 6 year old computer must be about a Pentium 3... 500-1000mhz range. Even with a decent card in it, it would struggle to run well. The memory max would also be 512mb-1gb so I really don't get how you are playing HL2, WoW, and all these newer games on it. Perhaps you exaggerated a bit and it isn't as old as you say. Just be more careful about that.[/quote]

It's a P4 1.6ghz processor. Yeah, that's where we were that long ago. I have a GeForce5700 VE and 512megs of ram, HL2 runs just fine and WoW even better. I have not exaggerated, it was manufactured in 2001 and still has original motherboard and processor.

Now, I do keep it clean, keep very few (24-30) processes running in the background, and I know how to care for a computer.

Now, if you're the type of person that considers anything below 60fps to be horrible, then yes, my computer is horrible by your logic. But I'm quite happy with the 30s.

EDIT: oh, by the way, WoW, HL2, GW, whatever, all run on maximum settings save for anisotropic filtering (usually) and if I have AA on it's usually no more than x4.

Yeah I, more or less, have the same situation as deadlyfire.

That all being said, I've gotten my tax return a while ago, and I plan on upgrading the processor, motherboard, and ram all at once over tigerdirect. For right around $200 I can from laggy to high-end enough for years to come. Can't remember all the exact specs but ive built up a 3.2ghz Pentium D socket 775 (or Core Duo/Extreme, I've got a few choices here and there) with a gig of 533mhz DDR2 Ram (Or Dual Channel Ram, also got a choice) and a hot new motherboard.

cpike84

Apprentice
Nov 6, 2006
Battery life shouldn't really be an issue when talking about gaming notebooks. No one buys a gaming notebook expecting to get hours worth of gameplay to run off the battery, lol. It would be nice, yes, but not gonna happen anytime in the near future. Once they implement a new battery system it could be capable (9-10 hours of gaming lifetime... yes please). The point is, when people consider getting a new notebook for gaming, like I did, I assume I will have power to use wherever I take it.

I've always been able to find an outlet no matter where I've taken mine. Desktops will always dominate for pure gaming power, but notebooks have come a long way in catching up and closing the gap.

A

Appolyons

[QUOTE="cpike84, post: 0]Deadly... that pc your building is almost the exact same thing I'm going to build. I'm getting 4gb of ram though, which is much needed for DX10 gaming on a Vista pc.[/quote]

Cpike, you gave me some great information in that keyboard thread so let me do the same for you here. Deadly, pay attention as well if you want since I do own a QX6700 with 4 gigs.

DX10 gaming with Vista has taken its fair share of praise and bashing. You should know as well as I cpike that the OS is amazing. Once we begin to see more service packs/updates we can be assured at a more flawless gaming/PC surfing experiance. For the time being, we'll take our new 8800 update with a big smile.

Let me start with this which actually relates to this aweful laptop discussion we're having here. No offense but I just cant understand how a gamer would chose a laptop over a desktop for stationary useage. On a side note though, Vista alone allows (on average) an extra HOUR of life to a laptop when in use. I hope that only begins to make you understand how efficient it is. Only until you really explore its potential can you marvel at what they have newly incorporated.

Having kinda mentioned that, you know whats really necessary for DX10 gaming? RAM is always important, dont get me wrong (as well as your graphics card), but I'd look more towards your processor. Vista has the ability to run up to 16 gigs of RAM. Let me say that again for affect...16 GIGS. Kinda amazing huh? As cliche as this will sound, 16 gigs might just be too much. I'm tempted to say a great advance will come and make the "gig" as we know it obsolete. At any rate, if your looking at bang for buck, all I'm saying is youll see a better performance jump if you put it in your processor and not the "all glorifying" gig theory. Your system will run just fine on 2 (mind you, we're not even taking into consideration of your graphics cards memory here).

Forgive me Cpike for not being around, my PC got a virus and I had to call an exorcist. I would have responded to this sooner if I was here. If I remember correctly, we also had a discussion where you said running 1 card was good enough for you? I would agree and support your stance but if thats the case, you could shift that extra money you'd spend on another card for the 2 extra gigs if you so choose. Ideally, 2 gigs with 2 8800 gtx's wins by a landslide but 4 gigs with a 8800 isn't bad either.

Just food for thought guys. Only when you take everything into consideration do you make the best choice. Hope this helped.

proof

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2005
I currently have a desktop. However, it isnt powerful, its loud, ugly and outdated. So, im currently considering getting a Dell or Sony Vaio laptop. I really dont do PC gaming anymore, appart from CS 1.6 and WoW, both of which would be able to run comfortably on a laptop.