Noticeable Browsing Speed Improvements?

Rebon

Master Poster
Dec 8, 2003
www.psu.com
Hi All. We've just turned on GZip compression on the boards and we'd like to hear from the users is this is having a noticeable effect on speed/performance of browsing the site. We think it is but we'd like to hear from the rest of you.

A

ajrobin

has it/have you changed the default posts per page setting as well? (the ban thread went from 1334 to 2334 pages a couple of hours ago and people were upset they'd miss posting on 1337?!)

it is noticeably quicker for me tho

A

ajrobin

i've changed to firefox in the last couple of days so thats boosted the speed as well so its a double boost for me

Pong

Veteran
Oct 10, 2006
Colorado
The past week has been pretty slow (even during slow times with few members logged on) but it seems to be faster again. Nice work!

X

Xaor

Yeh, it seems much quicker within the forum to me.

Maybe thats just me seeing what I'm being told is there though :)

Uncool

Power Member
Aug 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Xaor, post: 0]Yeh, it seems much quicker within the forum to me.

Maybe thats just me seeing what I'm being told is there though :)[/quote]Its better then it was a couple days ago, didn't feel like banning anyone because of it. :?

Nov 22, 2005
It's a little quicker than it was, but not by much. At least it is still going smoothly. Hope it doesn't happen again like around E3, when the site was seriously bogged down with logins and constant surfing on the site.

A

ajrobin

i have noticed that occasionally when posting it sticks and then when you press the button again it dbl posts, thankfully i can delete those

Pong

Veteran
Oct 10, 2006
Colorado
Ok, I just noticed something. Sometimes it takes a long time to complete an edit of a post. When you click on save, sometimes it seems to hang for awhile.

Behemoko

Elite Sage
Nov 14, 2006
Minnesota
I had actually quit coming because I thought some malicious code had entered when the new SMC and MODs were appointed, because that's when it started taking 2 minutes to load picture-less pages..

G

GS kid

Things seem a little quicker, but I still get my fair share of page hang ups. And saving or previewing my PMs?!?! Ha!..... chug chug chug...hang up city most of the time. :suspect: