Now that Snake's yarn is over...who's number one?

Sep 5, 2006
Which one of the legendary heroes would you consider to be the best warrior? The Boss, Big Boss, or Solid Snake?

I'm gonna have to go with the Boss on this one. Not only was she the catalyst for uh...everything that transpired after Operation: Snake Eater, but she schooled her successor every time they faced one another. Top that off with the fact that it was her mission to die by Big Boss' hands, and that leads me to believe that she very well could have beaten him, but was under strict orders and herself has a very strict sense of duty. I do think that makes her a bit of a zombie and a pawn, however, that's not the issue. Issue is who is the best soldier/operative/agent, or whatever you'd like to call them.

The reason I don't think it's Big Boss is because his status as a legend was, according to the man himself, inflated and exaggerated to gain public favor. Of course, all heroes are, that's a given, but for him to make note of that suggest to me that it was greater than the norm. Top that off with how he was utterly embarrassed by his mentor every time they engaged in some CQC, by the way, he was just no match for her.

I don't think it's Solid Snake because he's a clone of Big Boss(hence having the same or very similar ability), therefore I doubt he would measure up to the Boss either.

This isn't to say that either one of them are no good, by the way.

I'd like to just put it out there right now that my favorite protagonist of these three is Big Boss, so I'm going to ask that if you choose to add your input, please set your personal bias aside on this one.

Let me reiterate:
***This is not asking who is your favorite***

Sep 5, 2006
^I intentionally didn't include Raiden because he's got no connection with the three above. The Boss and Big Boss are mentor and prodigy respectively, and Solid Snake is his clone/son/successor or whatever you'd like to call him.

Based upon Raiden's role in MGS4, I'd classify him as a cyborg ninja now. I can make a poll on that too.

WonsAuto

Mar 12, 2007
www.myspace.com
I have to go with Solid Snake. The Joy and Naked Snake obviously aren't slackers, but to me it's quite simple- The Boss never had to take on nuclear holocaust-inducing machines and Big Boss got owned by both except for killing The Boss at the end of MGS3. :lol:

Solid Snake might not be the best at CQC or survival, but he's definitely the most well-rounded of the three.

AnzongBoliostro

Superior Member
Aug 16, 2007
I REALLY don't think that the boss let big boss win at the end of three. If you watch the earlier cutscenes she kept trying to get him to leave, kept telling him to go home, and even if she was under orders I don't think she would've just let him win. Also she did embarass him but he kept doing alittle better each time, and In the end he beat her. I'm going with solid snake, he beat big boss (even if he was old) twice one of which he used a makeshift flamethrower, basically an aerosol can. Maybe he isn't the best soldier (I say he is) he's the least dumb of the three. The boss was "loyal" to the point of ******ation, and big boss copied gene's stupid plan trying to make the boss proud or whatever. Plus if you wanna just look at the scenes where they fight to decide you gotta look at what cyborg ninja did in his cutscenes and realize snake beat him in a fist fight.

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
Solid Snake was only the smartest and probably had the most heart. But both Big Boss and The Boss were technically better at cqc and overall than Snake.
Even Liquid was better than him, but luck and smarts always tipped into snake's favor, as if his enemies were always screwed because of their cockiness.

The Boss was the best warrior with Big Boss at a close Second.

I'm going with solid snake, he beat big boss (even if he was old) twice one of which he used a makeshift flamethrower, basically an aerosol can.
Proof that he was only smarter, not better to me.

Its like Big Boss said about Snake probably making better decisions than him if he were in his shoes during MGS3.

Aztec Warrior

Superior Member
Oct 6, 2006
I think Raiden should be included in some form or another.
He killed Solidus, Big Boss's perfect clone.

Also, to add to Snake being the smart one. He resisted Psycho Mantis' mind reading abilities.

Snake wasn't the weakest at CQC. When he duked it out with Liquid atop Metal Gear Rex, he clearly won that fight.

Jun 13, 2008
[QUOTE="Aztec Warrior, post: 0]I think Raiden should be included in some form or another.
He killed Solidus, Big Boss's perfect clone.
[/quote]
I took note of that.
I still have this INSANE respect for Big Boss. I don't know why, but he's my favorite character of all time. Period. I reeeaaallly hope the next Metal Gear game is going to be about him because I just have this insane understanding of what Kojima was portraying this guy to be, and all the morals and philosophies behind it.
That's why, while MGS4 is my favorite game of all time, I somehow understood all the philosophies and hidden emotions behind MGS3 better.
I can't wait to play through MGS4 again so I can understand it all better.

But seriously, Big Boss? Eva, and The Boss....for some reason it's like the most nostalgic thing in existence to me....it makes MGS4 and MGS3 all the better...
I can't stop thinking about MGS, it's making my head hurt...ugh....

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="WonsAuto, post: 0]I have to go with Solid Snake. The Joy and Naked Snake obviously aren't slackers, but to me it's quite simple- The Boss never had to take on nuclear holocaust-inducing machines and Big Boss got owned by both except for killing The Boss at the end of MGS3. :lol:

Solid Snake might not be the best at CQC or survival, but he's definitely the most well-rounded of the three.[/quote]

:lol: I love you Wons, I really do, but how does that last statement add up if you just stated that he isn't as adept at two things that The Boss and Big Boss own at? To be well rounded he ought to be an expert at survival and CQC

[QUOTE="AnzongBoliostro, post: 0]I REALLY don't think that the boss let big boss win at the end of three. If you watch the earlier cutscenes she kept trying to get him to leave, kept telling him to go home,[/quote]

Well of course she would say that. If she acted any other sort of way, Volgin would have been able to see right through her facade. For that matter, Big Boss was her prodigy, so if anybody would have been able to see through her, it would have been him. She had to act the way she did.

[QUOTE="AnzongBoliostro, post: 0] and even if she was under orders I don't think she would've just let him win. Also she did embarass him but he kept doing alittle better each time, and In the end he beat her.[/quote]
I don't mean to sound like a ***** but what you think isn't concrete,you simply can't prove something like that. What the record states is that The Boss was under orders to let Big Boss kill her. We all saw the scenes where he always got embarrassed by her. What makes you so sure that she wouldn't have let him beat her?

Sure he did better each time, but he still never came close to besting her, by any stretch of the imagination.

[QUOTE="AnzongBoliostro, post: 0]I I'm going with solid snake, he beat big boss (even if he was old) twice one of which he used a makeshift flamethrower, basically an aerosol can. Maybe he isn't the best soldier (I say he is) he's the least dumb of the three. The boss was "loyal" to the point of ******ation, and big boss copied gene's stupid plan trying to make the boss proud or whatever. Plus if you wanna just look at the scenes where they fight to decide you gotta look at what cyborg ninja did in his cutscenes and realize snake beat him in a fist fight.[/quote]

Fair enough, however, Snake has been duped by several people in his missions numerous times, so although he's a sharp one, he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Remember, this is the guy who's entire career has been manipulated by The Patriots.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
Solid Snake, when you think about it what made The Boss & Big Boss legendary Solid Snake did as a routine, he went through 10x worse stuff then the other two & clean up their mess
Snake may have been a clone but in no way is he the same as Big Boss, he was theoretically a superior soldier

WonsAuto

Mar 12, 2007
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]:lol: I love you Wons, I really do, but how does that last statement add up if you just stated that he isn't as adept at two things that The Boss and Big Boss own at? To be well rounded he ought to be an expert at survival and CQC[/quote]

Hehe. :lol:

I dunno, Snake never really need Big Boss's jungle survival skills, and he didn't have "true" CQC until just recently. Even still, to me it seems that he has the best instincts of the three, on top of the reasons I listed before destroying my own argument. :lol:

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 0]Solid Snake, when you think about it what made The Boss & Big Boss legendary Solid Snake did as a routine, he went through 10x worse stuff then the other two & clean up their mess
Snake may have been a clone but in no way is he the same as Big Boss, he was theoretically a superior soldier[/quote]
Come again? So giving birth by cesarean section in the middle of a warzone during WWII doesn't compare to Solid Snake's ordeals? True, she didn't have bi-pedal robots to go toe to toe against. Her prodigy did, however, and she kicked his butt all over the place every time they met. What trials did he go through that were worse? His torture by Ocelot was weak. He sat on a machine and got, from what I could gather, electrocuted. Who knows what sort of stuff this woman went through, being lauded as the savior of the second world War, carrying a baby in her for 9 months during said time, and still(somehow) getting up and fighting after the giving birth. The Boss survived a war that lasted several years. Solid Snake has done several isolated operations.

As far as Big Boss, I think he had it worse than Solid Snake as well. Volgin's torture was way worse than Ocelot's, Snake's was child's play by comparison. He got thrown off a bridge by his mentor, duped by the woman he loved, threw himself into a river, and had to take down Volgin, the Cobra Unit, the Shagohod, treat his numerous injuries by himself and survive in the jungle with a knife and tranq gun the entire time. No MRE's for him, no nanomachines, nothing. Let's also not forget that he was conducting Operation Snake Eater when he wasn't %100. A week after getting thrown off that bridge and spending the entire time in ICU(meaning no physical rehab), he was back out there. Top that off with spending ten years conducting operations with The Boss.

Read all of that and tell me again that Solid Snake did that stuff as a routine. Yeah right. Solid Snake was a brilliant sneaking operative, but he didn't do all of that as a routine.

I'd like to hear this theory on why he was superior.

WonsAuto

Mar 12, 2007
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]I'd like to hear this theory on why he was superior.[/quote]

Well, after reading all of that about MGS3 and Big Boss... all I can think about is how hard Old Snake had it in MGS4. I mean, his condition worsened with each act, and to top it off he went through a damn microwave tunnel with the near-dead body of a 60+ year-old. I think it's pretty tough to top that.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="WonsAuto, post: 0]Well, after reading all of that about MGS3 and Big Boss... all I can think about is how hard Old Snake had it in MGS4. I mean, his condition worsened with each act, and to top it off he went through a damn microwave tunnel with the near-dead body of a 60+ year-old. I think it's pretty tough to top that.[/quote]
True, I'll get back to you on that one. Got to go for the moment.

Sony Pizza

Forum Elder
Sep 27, 2007
I hope it focuses on Raiden's story, and his mission to save Sunny from the Patriots in 2011. That would be really interesting to see, because we don't hear much or see anything to show as to how he actually saved her - we just know he saved her.

Lord Aklon said:
As far as Big Boss, I think he had it worse than Solid Snake as well. Volgin's torture was way worse than Ocelot's, Snake's was child's play by comparison. He got thrown off a bridge by his mentor, duped by the woman he loved, threw himself into a river, and had to take down Volgin, the Cobra Unit, the Shagohod, treat his numerous injuries by himself and survive in the jungle with a knife and tranq gun the entire time. No MRE's for him, no nanomachines, nothing. Let's also not forget that he was conducting Operation Snake Eater when he wasn't %100. A week after getting thrown off that bridge and spending the entire time in ICU(meaning no physical rehab), he was back out there. Top that off with spending ten years conducting operations with The Boss.
I do believe that Big Boss was somewhat superior to Solid Snake in some aspects, however, Solid Snake WAS a genetically enhanced supersoldier given nanomachines to enable him to endure numerous amounts of conditions (i.e. prevent him from freezing to death, etc). Hell, he even survived a semi direct blow from Vulcan Raven's tank.

Solid Snake DID have it pretty rough, though - he had to kill his best friend's lover Sniper Wolf, he had to kill all of the BnBs, he killed his own brother twice (technically speaking), he killed his own father twice, he brutally mangled his friend Gray Fox... it might not have been as rough as Naked Snake's life, but it definitely WAS rough.

Read all of that and tell me again that Solid Snake did that stuff as a routine. Yeah right. Solid Snake was a brilliant sneaking operative, but he didn't do all of that as a routine.
You're correct, but he did destroy more Metal Gears than Big Boss did as a routine...

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="WonsAuto, post: 0]Well, after reading all of that about MGS3 and Big Boss... all I can think about is how hard Old Snake had it in MGS4. I mean, his condition worsened with each act, and to top it off he went through a damn microwave tunnel with the near-dead body of a 60+ year-old. I think it's pretty tough to top that.[/quote]
Exactly, do you remember naomi's reaction to Snake's body, it wasn't just because he was Old.
[QUOTE="Sony Pizza, post: 0]I do believe that Big Boss was somewhat superior to Solid Snake in some aspects, however, Solid Snake WAS a genetically enhanced supersoldier given nanomachines to enable him to endure numerous amounts of conditions (i.e. prevent him from freezing to death, etc). Hell, he even survived a semi direct blow from Vulcan Raven's tank.

Solid Snake DID have it pretty rough, though - he had to kill his best friend's lover Sniper Wolf, he had to kill all of the BnBs, he killed his own brother twice (technically speaking), he killed his own father twice, he brutally mangled his friend Gray Fox... it might not have been as rough as Naked Snake's life, but it definitely WAS rough.

You're correct, but he did destroy more Metal Gears than Big Boss did as a routine...[/quote]

Indeed, Solid Snake wasn't really given a choice, Lord Akon you asked what Snake went through......the answer is, His life.
plus the question was who's the best soldier.

W

WuTangBlade

[QUOTE="RaidenDirty, post: 0]My votes with Big Boss.....too lazy 2 explain why :/[/quote]

d to the itto.

. . . . .

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
Solid Snake, Big Boss doesn't even compare, why?. Not only will Snake's training be better due to better technology Snake actually defeated Big Boss twice prior to the events of Metal Gear Solid... The Boss maybe but you don't really see much of her so you can't compare.

WaspMonkey

Forum Elder
Aug 16, 2007
[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]Solid Snake, Big Boss doesn't even compare, why?. Not only will Snake's training be better due to better technology Snake actually defeated Big Boss twice prior to the events of Metal Gear Solid... The Boss maybe but you don't really see much of her so you can't compare.[/quote]

I think one of the points of the game was the better technology doesn't equal a better soldier. Look at what happened to Meryl after she lost her nanomachines.

The Boss toyed with Big Boss and could have killed him at any moment. As far as I know Big Boss could have been toying with Snake the entire time. Even at the cemetery he took his weapon from him easily enough.

Phaded

Phading Reality
Jun 5, 2006
[QUOTE="WaspMonkey, post: 0]I think one of the points of the game was the better technology doesn't equal a better soldier. Look at what happened to Meryl after she lost her nanomachines.

The Boss toyed with Big Boss and could have killed him at any moment. As far as I know Big Boss could have been toying with Snake the entire time. Even at the cemetery he took his weapon from him easily enough.[/quote]

No because like I said Solid Snake beat Big Boss twice before the events of Metal Gear Solid, maybe he could of defeated Snake in MGS4 but that's because Snake was practically half dead anyway lets be honest lol. Ok yeah maybe technology doesn't equal a better soldier but i'm not necesarilly talking about nanomachines.

Jun 18, 2008
dude it would be awesome to play the final battle in MG2 on next gen......for those of you who dont know....Snake "kills" Big Boss using a aerosol can and a lighter.....lol.

WaspMonkey

Forum Elder
Aug 16, 2007
[QUOTE="Phaded, post: 0]No because like I said Solid Snake beat Big Boss twice before the events of Metal Gear Solid, maybe he could of defeated Snake in MGS4 but that's because Snake was practically half dead anyway lets be honest lol. Ok yeah maybe technology doesn't equal a better soldier but i'm not necesarilly talking about nanomachines.[/quote]

Big Boss wasn't exactly in the best shape of his life either at that moment. I just have the feeling that Snake was pawn in everything and 'luck' went his way because others wanted it to. i.e. Drebin and his help. Boss and Big Boss made their own luck....until their luck ran out.