Now TV outdated

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Am I living in the past still? I could have sworn HD was the standard now.
Imagine subscribing to an online streaming service that doesn't offer even 720p HD for any of its movies for most devices. The only way to guarantee a maximum of 720p HD is to buy either the Now TV smart box or Apple TV, everything else is SD for movies.

Here is their info on what resolutions are supported by what devices.
http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
LAst night IWatched a few movies in bed on it and it isnt awful, but it does look a tad soft around the edges even from 7-8 feet away on a 26 inch screen. But the worst part is the sound, it seems very low in both volume and quality, I hve to put my sound bar up to around 20 to make it easily audible yet with blu rays, DVD, Netflix, playing video games and regular TV usually 15 is loud enough or even way too loud especially when guns or things explode.

This service feels like it is for those people that have not yet upgraded to an HD TV and still use their CRT TV with an aftermarket digital freeview set top box. IT certainly isnt for those that want or expect high quality and have the latest TV technology.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
Isn't Now TV owned by Sky? They need to get their shit together if they seriously want to compete.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Yes Sky do own it, it is basically "Sky Cinema" for £10 per month (or Sky Sports or whatever else they do) without having a contract, and so it seems Sky have have made a concious decision to limit to 720p to not compete with their fully fledged Sky satellite service. There is no way a PS4 or Xbox One is not capable of 1080p video asnd 5.1 surround, it is a deliberate choice, and not one led by technical limitations.

It does have the likes of Netflix beat with the choice of more recent movies from 2015/2016. I watched the "Avengers Ultron" and "The Intern" along with "Fast & Furious 7" all of which I couldn't find on Netflix, but when they do arrive on Netflix (if they do) they would be in 1080p 5.1 no doubt about it.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017
keo7m.com
I have note watched TV for a long time. May be programs on TV are not interesting me so much. In addition, cable television in my country has the signal is not good, so image is very bad.