Official: Gaming social network - we want YOUR thoughts!

Rebon

Master Poster
Dec 8, 2003
www.psu.com
Hi guys,

Seb and I have teamed up with 3 genius developers, and an amazing designer, to build a really cool social networking site for gamers.

At the start it will be invite-only while we fix bugs and add new features, and will be seperate to PS3Forums, however, we will be offering PS3Forums members the exclusive invites at the start!

What we really need is YOUR thoughts on this.

* What would you really like in a pure gaming site like MySpace (but of course way better)?
* What features would you like?
* What cool things from other non-gaming sites do you want?
* Are there any brand new things you think would be cool, but havent seen before?
* How do you want to interact with people, and what do you want to show off on your profile (apart from the obvious name, games owned, etc)?

Also, do you use any sites for this already? If so, which?

Those who give the best feedback that we use in the site will get:
a) 1000 skill points for PS3Forums
b) A very cool "BetaTester" badge on the new site
c) Fame and respect from knowing your ideas are used in a huge gaming site
Of course only for things we don't already have!

So start thinking! Get creative! We want to make this a new and innovative place, so free your minds!

- Rebon

Mar 17, 2006
Jul 12, 2005
Basically you're making a Gamer's MySpace, correct? Well, if that's the case, then there's a lot that you guys should look in to:

- The ability to link your online IDs (PSN ID, Gamertag, etc.) to your profile on the website.

- "GameSpace" Clan pages, where you can find clan home pages. These should have lots of separate mini-pages for each game that a clan is active in (possibly bulletin boards or message boards for the clans as well).

- Another possibility is a battle system. In the future, maybe a network similar to GameBattles. This could be linked to the forums as well (i.e.: The battle system on this forum could be connected to the battle system on this new site).

That's all I've got for now, I'll probably have a few more ideas coming soon since I'm pretty distracted right now.

Rebon

Master Poster
Dec 8, 2003
www.psu.com
@Bingbing - Yep, we're definitely going to have customisable profiles. We're going to have cool looking premade themes, as well as the ability to choose the graphics and colours yourself.

@LP Chris - We're going to allow you to display your online IDs on the site. Are there more complex and powerful ways of linking the two that you were thinking about? Yep, we're having clan homepages along with message boards etc. The Battle System thing is inteteresting, have thought about it, and think it would make a lot of sense (and would be fun to challenge GameBattles hehe). Do have a deeper think as I'd love to hear some of the stuff you'd come up with.

@ All - Would you guys like some way of linking your posts on other forums (i.e. like PS3Forums) back to your profile on this site? If you're part of a number of different forums, we could aggregate all of the posts and display them on your profile page.

Edit: Moving this into PS3 section for more views.

AndyD

Oct 3, 2006
One thing I would say you need to make sure of is, don't allow fully customizable themes. One of the worst things about Myspace is that you start getting awful backgrounds, video clips, illegible text and audio all at once.
Have a number of standardized themes/colors, and perhaps a cusomizable user bar/title/theme but otherwise make it relatively uniform.
Also allow for easy picture sharing with tags and a simple and fast comment system. Start off very simple, and build off, if its too complex to start, it will intimidate people.

Ill think of more but it sounds like an excellent idea. A lot of my friends use facebook, and i do too, and I have though of a gaming oriented social space before and was wondering if anything exists (outside profiles at the major websites like Gamespot...).

janenba352

Super Elite
Jul 11, 2005
Copy and paste myspace and name it GamerSpace lol j/k.

Nice idea Kieran. Any way the PSU staff can help you and Seb?

Mar 17, 2006
Guys if you want you know the guy that makes the ps3tags.com(he's on the forums, our, this forum) site maybe you can get him to be with you guys he's having problems funding the site you guys can help, he'll give you all the tags and stuff. you know that is a easy way of getting those kick ass tags and our design team can make even more tags. and you have the tags done early.

see the problem is i always get cool idea at night when im about to sleep i'll try and remember some stuff and post it later.

Can you guys get a way to connect to the ps3 and maybe have our stats for games we own and play and have a stats page or something.

and a montage thing like a page where every body puts up montages that they make. we can rate them from 1/10. or any game videos. Also a latest news tab of somesort. were like they link a page to psu.com and we have the newest news about the ps3.

arcticreaver

Elite Member
Jun 16, 2007
personally i dislike myspace.com. i'm more into website like friendster.com. they have good background setup and overall the site looks a lot more pleasing and more professional looking.

i think the one thing that is a top priority to a site like this is how to set flame wars to a minimum. after all this is a "gaming" myspace/friendster type website correct? there are bound to be people who's going to start up some beef.

it would be pretty cool if you guys can provide the site with a game server and host tournaments on it. since there will be different clans and members linked within this website hey why not?

how to do that i'm not sure, as i'm just giving some of my 2 cents in what you guys are trying to do.

Mar 17, 2006
And for every major event like E3 that were having now, have its own page were theres all nice mojo from that show.

Blu-Ray

Elite Sage
Jul 9, 2006
From non-gaming things, maybe you could have things like "Pool" or "Chess" to play on the side. I can't tell you how bored I am of most sites..... not to mention that alot of people enjoy playing online pool. :)

Then, you could do the "Battle" thing you got going on over here. Only, this time, it can be bigger, and more organized - much like Gamebattles.com. :) Maybe you'll get more users by being somewhat of an official PS3 Network Battles league??????? I know that GB.com has alot of Prestige with gamers of all the systems...

I hope that my ideas are chosen. :)

Mar 30, 2007
Some of these have already been said, but I'll throw them out again anyways...

1. Obviously, there should be a place to display IDs and such

2. I think the pages should be fairly customizable, but don't let it go overboard like myspace. I mean, I still use Myspace, but some people's pages are truly frustrating.

3. A nice, accesible news section

4. You should be able to list the games you own, and rate them on your page. Nothing too in depth cuz you don't wanna take up too much space, but just a spot for number reviews.

5. I think there should be blog space.

6. I think it'd be cool to have somewhere on the site where you could arrange times, tournaments, etc. against other people, maybe even have tournaments sponsored by the site.

7. If you're going to have some kind of music, which I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, I think you should make it so that the person visiting the page has the option of whether or not they want to listen to that person's music. I think you guys should get a bunch of video game themes if you do decide to have music :p.

8. I like somebody else's idea about having like Checkers and stuff that people could just play when they're hanging around the site.

9. Obviously, people would have some time of profile. I think things like interests should be linked, so people could easily find others with similar interests.

10. I think there should be some type of comments area or wall or whatever for each profile.

11. I def. think it'd be cool to have some type of badges, levels, etc. Those things always seem to catch people's attention.

12. I think there should be an area for users to upload game-related vids, so that they don't have to have them taking up profile space.

Those are just a few things that occurred off the top of my head. I'll think about it more, and see if I can come up with some more in depth ideas

arcticreaver

Elite Member
Jun 16, 2007
yeah man, everything has been done. once the site is up i would like to see it. please invite? hehe. but yeah if only there is something that hasn't been done before?

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
Hmm, ok here are some ideas:

-We should be allowed to change our profile style, just like in myspace.
-Have a list of friends.
-Be able to embed videos to our profiles.
-Have a Colisseum feature, where clans are allowed to have duels.
-PLEASE (ill bold it) PLEASE do not put a comment box.
-Have a collection would be good.
-Have a High Scores section where people can send their pictures of their highest achievements on it.
-Link that profile to our PS3forums one and viceversa.
-And finally, if it had live steaming videogame conferences, pwnage would be over us =D

BTW to make it a stand out website, it could be much better to have a flash like site, that gives more effects than a plain html based site.

I could do some beta testing if you wanted to, as well as give you guys some graphic support if you need it.

A

ajrobin

i'd definitely be up for joining and helping out with this.

like in myspace you have the music section where artists get their own section there should be a game dev section where each company can have their own dev profile and any news about them/their upcoming games can be posted

Jun 27, 2007
You are going to get loads of really cool ideas from folks here and I think this idea could be massive. I'll think on features but I want to sound a warning to you. Make sure you have a really good "roadmap" of development.

ComicSpace.com started out as a similar premise (i.e. the myspace of comics) and started off really well, but development dried up after only a few months and people got bored and newbies stopped signing up. So please make sure that features are scheduled to be added regularly during the first 6-12 months to keep people interested. Hope that doesn't sound condescending, but it's an easy mistake to make.

Once you've got a decent user base I'd approach other sites and companies for promotional partnerships. So, for example, IGN could do a weekly / monthly feature that rounds up their big stories. Sony etc could be approached to provide comeptition prizes (should be quite easy to do... "But Microsoft are giving us 10 360s to give away, come on Sony, join in!"). Trust me, if you start getting 10,000+ members, and that should be easy, you then have the credibility to talk with the big companies, and they'll all want to try and become your sites favourite... which of course won't happen, because being neutral keeps everyone happy.

Good luck with this, no reason why this can't be huge.

Rebon

Master Poster
Dec 8, 2003
www.psu.com
@ Andy D - I agree, total customisation is perhaps a bad thing. We are planning on offering professional made, cool-looking themes that we're making ourselves. We'll look at doing some kind of theme-maker in the future, though not to the horrible-looking extent of MySpace!

Picture sharing, tagging and commenting are all very important - we'll certainlu be doing that. And yeah, we're keeping it very simple, then building out the features based on user feedback.

Any more ideas you have would be awesome!

@ Janeba - The PSU staff can definitely help with beta testing feedback, for sure!

@ BingBing - Does the ps3tags site take data from Sony? Or do they just allow people to write in what they want the tags to say?

You should have a pen and paper next to your bed, so when you get a good idea, quickly write it down!

We're going to try very hard to connect to the PS3 and get stats directly from it, but it's hard, as Sony arn't very good about sharing data like that. We will keep trying tho!

Montages/videos/news - we're going to allow picture sharing and commenting, as well as embedding videos. For news, we're thinking of having an RSS reader system, so you can stay up to date with the latest news from your feeds.

@ arcticreaver - How we do avoid flamewars?

Game servers - interesting - will look into that.

@ bingbing - VERY interesting! We could have event pages, where everybody could have a live chat and submit news and pics etc. Interesting!

@ Blu-Ray - An arcade with points and high scores might be very interesting for when people are bored. We'll look into that!

Also, can you tell me more about GameBattles - what is cool? What do people really like with it? Why does it have such a high prestige?

@ Jacintos - Thanks. I like the tournament arranging idea. Can you explain to me what you'd really like to see for the badges/levels - what we would be really cool? Any more ideas are very welcome!

@ MrFenwick - Back in 2003 everything thought everything had already been done - then MySpace, YouTube etc came along. Right now, you're saying everything is already done, but new things will come out that will change things. We want to be one of those new things, so free your mind!!

Live chat is definitely interesting.

@ Thorzilla - Can you explain the Colisseum feature? For not having the comment box, do you mean have the option for peopel not to be able to leave messages on your profile? Beta testing would be very cool.

@ ps3isawesome - Yep, sounds good.

@ ajrobin - An area for developers sounds cool!

@ Snoogy - We're definitely staying focused on releasing lots of little updates - hopefully a new thing every 2-4 weeks. We've got a plan of priorities, and we're going to work through them. Speaking to you guys, though, is really important as it tells us a) what you want, and b) gives us new ideas we haven't had ourselves.

We're certainly going to open up disucssion with the big game players once things start taking off -- offering competitions, prizes, etc. Should be a lot of fun! First, though, we gotta build a really good site.

Thanks so much everyone so far! Keep it up, speak to your friends, gets some ideas, and let's make this a really awesome site!

A

ajrobin

some way of linking it with a section in PS Home would be awesome but maybe beyond reach

FaLLeNMoNkEy

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2007
Austin
Well pretty much what the people above have said ^^^^^

But like could yall make a clan war system?
Like maybe something like gamebattles.com ?
That would be sweet...
I dont really like gamebattles that much anyways...
Yall could make different ladders for every team based game or even games like resistance or rainbow6........
1v1 ladders...clan ladders...
exct.

But I guess my buddies here have pretty much covered everything else....

Sep 2, 2006
Of course there are limitations, but you should try to make it look like the PS3 interface as much as possible.

Also, it would be neat, if there was a section where people could share media:

- photos
- videos
- music
- game saves

but make it very organized and well intergrated with the site. Hey, maybe you could even have it so people could barter, trade, buy and sell those items, with vBux or something. So, say, a game save for Resistance, can be priced by the seller for like 500 points or something.

And speaking of points, you should get points for being more active. PS3 Forums has it, but 1up's style is a lot more robust. You should be able to accumulate points for posting messages in forums, posting blogs, pictures, reading news, ect. Each activity has a set number of points you get for it. That way, it doesn't take forever to get the points you need, and it prevents people from spamming.

I will post other ideas when they occur to me.

EDIT

Eventhough we have "teams" and "groups" on this site, it would be nice if they were more concrete and solid. Here are some ideas:

- Admins/ Mods
- Design Squad
- Reviewers
- Industry Insiders
- ect.

For instance, "Reviewers" would either play demos of games on PSN, or buy/ rent games, play them and review them on the site. If were were to have something like this, of course, there would be a dedicated section for it, that would also be intergrated and easily accessible from anywhere on the site.

Thegamingdwarf

Dedicated Member
Feb 12, 2005
Oxford, UK
citizensparks.tumblr.com
Wow, this sounds interesting, i've got quite a few thoughts, so this might take a while... :lol:

Starting with some basic things:
1) I agree with who ever said it, a flash based site would be far better than a html site, it might be more difficult to develop to begin with, but it think more flexible and stylish in the long run.

2) Linked profiles, i think you need to start a whole network thing, so link the PS3forums to PSU to PSN and possibly even to Sony's official site.

3) It needs to run sufficiently on the PS3 browser, this would allow easier linkage, and easier usage, for, for instance, achievement screen shots, friend requests etc.

4) Events, calanders and that sort of stuff is pretty standard, so people will post and event, this should be linked to a universal calender which then should do things like email alerts and PM's to people that want it.

5) I know this could be a little dodgey, but i think an active members chat room might be good, in terms of say, several members being active at once can have a conversation on a topic in real time.

6) Your games selection, what games you have, your rating, maybe even a personal review thats a couple of lines long etc.

Some slightly different ideas:
1) Editable news, this would have to be carefully thought out, and well moderated (maybe), but the ability to correct news, add to it, add to other members. I know, its complicated, and can lead to bad things, but i think maybe the original post stays the same, then there are different version of the post corrected by other people in a subsection of that post... Or even links, so like the link says, this article has been edited by "X", the link takes you to their version on their page etc.

2) Wordpress, blogspot etc intergration, posts from them can be exchanged to the community page, and vice versa.

3) User groups, so much like the 1UP system where people can form specific groups to be knowledgeable or descuss one specific topic, this could link in with clans, however, with a twist in the way that each group can possibly be independant of the direct community (like developers from a company) or even where the user group becomes sufficient enough to start its own community, in which case, expanding the PSU community to different area's (sorry thats badly worded, ask if you want it explained better).

4) A decent video player, Eurogamer and the new Gamespot players are great because they are flexible and have really good quality, they also happen to be flash based (i think) and large. Also brightcove is pretty good and has been used for tech conferences already.

5.)RSS or atom for almost all sections, and users.

And some off the wall stuff:
1) PSP intergration

2) Drag and drop, so for, in your side bar, within your profile, there should be folder categories, when ever viewing media or reading an article, if you like it, you should literally be able to click and drag that peice of information into a folder in your profile for future refence.

3) Leading from 2, that folder is then consdiered a shared folder, so any linked profiles on other sites (like PS3Forums) also has access to that media across the web. This information should then be avaliable for download to your PSP, PS3 or PS3, so movies in MPG, images in JPG and articles in PDF (for PC's).

4) A thoughts section, this is a free page, it is set up minimally like a forum page, and it is basicallydedicated to a topic each week, any thoughts people have they can put there, they are aloud to say what they want, how they want, as each post is individual and is not allowed to comment on anyone elses posts, its a bit like a verbal drawing board.

Thats my lot for the minute, i'll have another think later.

badz_ps3

Master Poster
Mar 21, 2006
ps3forums.com
[QUOTE="MrFenwick, post: 0]Free cookies on sign ups.

Some cool idea's eh? Umm... Its kinda hard to think of anything really "new." Everything has been done on other sites really.

Could always have a active chat channel...[/QUOTE]

i think an active chat would be ideal for the new site. if we could have a few different chat "rooms" i guess where we can all converse about different subjects whether its as general as "ps3 chat" "360 chat" etc, or if it gets as detailed as "warhawk chat" "gta4 chat" etc where people can just go on real quick and have the ability to yell out "hey im puttin up a server come join!" or "i just beat it 100%! has anyone else?"

idk if its possible or too complex, but if it is then thatd be great.

arcticreaver

Elite Member
Jun 16, 2007
this will be hard to implement - create a clan, each clan has their own blog, forums, and live chat.

clans can challenge other clans found on the site (i guess for only shooters / FPS games tho)

weekly, monthly, and annual tournaments. prizes?? or maybe they just get reps?

hehe a flash site? why not make it look like the PS3's XMB or whatever it's called? maybe that's too much of a PS3 look even though it's a gaming network site.

Sep 17, 2006
I think you put an Common Area to users. I mean, saying that some site has a 1 million that doesn't mean that we meet them all. I think that common area should have something new and atractive to all users so they can meet and talk to each other. Other cool feature was the ability to post on the common area a section where we could look for help, and in this way we help each other and can socialise wich everyone. There is nothing much else to say, follow the basics, live conferences would be awesome and the sections news to.

EDIT: Make Podcasts to. If anyone doesn't mind make them live! Or in video! Awesome

Oct 3, 2006
Ok, so if it is like a myspace for gamers? If so, very well then, you should include:

Semi-customizable profiles: I know some people have stated this, but one of the things I hate about Myspace is obnoxious things people put on their profiles so you can't read them.

Message Boards For Clans Only: If you have a well-known clan, or even a brand new clan, you should have a invite only area for those clan members. Their they can talk about upcoming practices, tournaments, etc.

GameBattles: You started it here, with the Battle System, but transfer it there. You can challenge someone their, and make a time. There can be leaderboards and full-on stats.

Youtube-like area: People like to brag, let people make videos of their matches and put them up. But make it easy and smooth like Youtube.

That is about it.. I know you guys can make this perfect.

Thorzilla

Elite Sage
Feb 4, 2006
Wow rebon im sorry to get some more clutter to the thread, but let me explain the idea of the Colisseum:

It would be basically a revamped version of the battle feature but cooler. For example, user A wants to duel user B in game X. Now, imagine game X is resistance and the user A wants to play a Team Deathmatch up to 50 kills in a 1 on 1, so he sets it up before, and sends the invite to player B. This duel should be moderated by a new usergroup that could be called the judge. This judge would upload the game data after the game into a leader board like the battle one.

Another feature to be included is like a duel board where people can go in, hang a duel request for anyone to take it and battle him. Clans could do it as well.

And lastly, it should include a signature stat generator with won matches, points, etc.

janenba352

Super Elite
Jul 11, 2005
Ok Kieran heres a few ideas

- to make it easier to afford such a thing and subside the costs of PSU at the same time, advertise movies and crap like myspace does but also we should advertise games to be released if publishers want cheap and easy advertising.

- Taking off from one of the above ideas, Setup a monthly developer and fans chat. Try to get developers like John Carmack and industry figures like Phil Harrison to speak.

- Try to make each profile fully customizable, it will take a while to be able to fully set something like that up, but make it totally a flash profile where users can set each content box in whatever order they see fit.

- Site will need to have; User pictures, In-game screenshots, a music playlist player (full music player not just a one song player), game score count if possible, games played list, the typical life status thing (Single, High school grad, etc), schools you went to, companies worked for, about you box, videos box, video/pic upload, band pages, dev pages, clan profiles, user groups.

Kieran - ill talk to you about how this will be ran, i might be whiling to work less with psu and work more on the gaming network.

tty on MSN sometime,
Matt

A

ajrobin

integration with our ps3forums accounts would be really good so that the posts/points/rep we've built up here is included into any profile system