Official Mass Effect: Andromeda Thread

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I hope the way they animated the Asari doesn't set the tone for the entire game, and all the characters in it. She looked a bit overly dramatic... kinda like you were watching CSI.

Mass Effects cutscenes were always a bit wooden, hopefully they don't do a 180 and make tiny little actions massive gestures. Subtlety seems to be lost on the folks at EA, who are going to have their hands all over this one (who the fuck is Bioware anyways?). If it's not going 'Boom' every 2 and a half seconds, execs lose confidence.

EDIT:
For Reference:

^ Don't know what all that jazz with her hands is about...

Last edited:

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6521799]I hope the way they animated the Asari doesn't set the tone for the entire game, and all the characters in it. She looked a bit overly dramatic... kinda like you were watching CSI.

Mass Effects cutscenes were always a bit wooden, hopefully they don't do a 180 and make tiny little actions massive gestures. Subtlety seems to be lost on the folks at EA, who are going to have their hands all over this one (who the $#@! is Bioware anyways?). If it's not going 'Boom' every 2 and a half seconds, execs lose confidence.

EDIT:
For Reference:

^ Don't know what all that jazz with her hands is about...
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure we will see a lot more come november 7. Hopefully that will be able to address the issue you brought up.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
Gameplay trailer:

[video=youtube;NOIzH6UcoW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIzH6UcoW4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
Just saw the new trailer. This game definitely looks like it will deliver, but it seems there won't be any space flight which I thought was interesting. The star map seems to be the sole form of travel again. Therefore the game's structure will still be streamlined to a degree, which I think is a good thing. I'm far more interested in a game like Mass Effect: Andromeda that will have a limited amount of hand-crafted planets over a limitless, but repetitive procedural universe like in No Man's Sky.

And the great thing is that Andromeda is supposed to have around 100 planets, so it looks to strike a great balance between quantity and quality.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Started playing this game yesterday. Is on sale with Origin for $35 (deluxe). Honestly, it seems pretty darn good so far. Of course, they have fixed a lot of the problems by now, but still seems like a solid entry into the Mass Effect franchise.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I got it after a few patches. I'm still not done at 100 hours. Oon the last planet with little exploration done there. But viability up to 100 on all other. Its a completionist wet dream. Lol so much to do and explore. Although i am kind of ready to finish it soon. So far i put it at my 3rd favorite of the series. Nod going to andromeda over 3 because of the amount of exploitation possible. Solid 8 for me. Framerate can get annoying at times. Especially around the outpost on Kadara.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I just got home from buying this game. My CB N Sane Trilogy won't be here until tomorrow so I figured this would be a good time killer. I absolutely loved ME 1-3, especially 2 and 3 so this game has a lot to live up to. I've read a lot of mixed reviews so I'm about to jump in and immerse myself. :D

Edit - Few hours in and I'm really enjoying it so far. The story is keeping my attention, the combat feels good, and everything looks/sounds great.

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
It takes a while to get to the meat and bones. I seriously didn't feel i hit stride until at least 30-35 hours. I've got over 100 hours into it. Most of any game next to Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Dragon Age Inquisition. I'll probably finish with close to 130 hours. Which would put it at i believe the highest count i have for a Sp game.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I really like what I've played so far, but I got sidetracked by other games and haven't found my way back to this game yet. Maybe it's time to get back to this game again now.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I'm really struggling to figure out what was so horrible about this game outside of the graphical glitches. I understand those were pretty bad early, but the first ME had horrible issues along with those ridiculously long elevator rides. As a Mass Effect game, I would rank this one second behind ME 2. It is a great game.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6531425]I'm really struggling to figure out what was so horrible about this game outside of the graphical glitches. I understand those were pretty bad early, but the first ME had horrible issues along with those ridiculously long elevator rides. As a Mass Effect game, I would rank this one second behind ME 2. It is a great game.[/QUOTE]
The reason i was turned off was because ME:A was pretty much universally panned for bad writing (or weird writing, maybe?), which hurts all the more when you consider it is a bioware title - bioware being renowned for their writing. Off the back of DA:I it pretty much killed any hope, on my part, of it being a decent entry.

From what i've seen (tried not to see too much for spoilers), it seems to correlate.

What's your opinion on the writing, Chris? Vyse seemed to think the writing was also a bit hit or miss iirc? What i've seen hasn't been all bad mind. But it seemed for every step forward the game takes in the right direction, it proceeds to take one step back almost immediately by doing something odd.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
No, I wouldn't call the story captivating. It isn't bad either. The writing seems fine. It isn't Witcher 3 level, but it isn't trying to be. I like the characters and the overall premise.

But like Naxi said, the gameplay is great. It borrows a lot from Dragon Age: Inquisition minus the tactical strategy aspects.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I'm still nowhere near finished but I've put many hours in to give some initial thoughts.

Out of the 4 games in the ME series, this is where I'd rank Andromeda:
Gameplay: 1st - best, combat is smooth and everything feels polished as opposed to rushed, ME3 is my 2nd place for gameplay
Story: 3rd -writing could've been a little better but it's not bad, ME 1 and 2 had better storylines
Visuals: 1st - it's PS4 so the older games don't compete too much
Overall rating: I'd rank it the 2nd best ME game after my favorite which is ME2. ME3 is a close third place. The only reason ME comes in 4th is because gameplay suffered a bit (Nomad anyone?) and it wasn't as fleshed out as every game after it.

Perhaps my opinion will change as I progress further but overall I'm enjoying ME Andromeda a lot. The enemies seem a little basic and boring but that's a minor gripe. They really gave us a buffet of things to explore. They really immerse you in the role of the Pathfinder and make you feel like every decision matters. I've enjoyed most of the side quests too.

Christopher

Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
That's about how I rank the games as well. I'm still enjoying Andromeda although I've taken a little break. Hope to jump back in this weekend.