Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6514714]Just realized
Xbox 2001
Xbox 360 2005

So this isn't exactly new ground for MS.[/QUOTE]

Not comparable at all.

MS started late in 2001 and made some poor business decisions that led to an early end. The PS3 primarily got delayed because of the blu-ray drive availability. (Cell availability was also a factor)

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Your'e saying they didn't make some bad business decisions this time around?
I'm not saying Im for or against this, I'm just saying 4 years between refreshes has been done before, and I'm pretty sure this time around the consoles aren't going to be simply cut off points.
Well, certainly MS has that ability with their Unified app thingy.

[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6514725]Designing your own controller is pretty cool. I will certainly be doing that.[/QUOTE]

I have 3 kids. Alll have had different colored controller in the past. They'll likely be getting one each (if this comes to us, its not in NZ at the moment).

Venger

Forum Elder
Jun 16, 2005
I think maybe I'm way to jaded a fanboy now...my over all impression of the MS conference was it just lasted way to long. Sorry, I've never played Gears of War, so plastic action figure shooter doesn't really appeal. I'm not a huge a fan of racing games in general, so pretty as Forza Horizon 3 is it does nothing for me. I was pretty keen for Scalebound last time, but this coop sequence actually ruined it for me, doesn't even look as good as the Poseidon battle for GOW3. Sea of Thieves might be interesting, but it kind of feels like a cartoony game based on the ship portions of AC4: Black Flag. I don't have an Xbox so the new Live features bored me. I still kind of think Cuphead is still the most interesting game announced for Xbox One, why it hasn't released yet is beyond me. I was kind of interested in how they will handle Project Scorpio, I assume the majority of the extra power will be so they can hook an occulus rift to it, though that third party developer reel sort of suggested they want to break the base no matter what MS said about everything staying compatible. Xbox One has a pair of zombie games, neither of which looked as good as the one of PS4, all of which regardless of platform have been done to death. The most visually interesting new game was Inside by the developers behind Limbo. Tekken 7 looked like crap, Halo Wars 2 looked kind of last gen. The very same trailer for Battlefield 1. Not sure any of the conferences has been brilliant.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Venger, post: 6514932]I think maybe I'm way to jaded a fanboy now...my over all impression of the MS conference was it just lasted way to long. Sorry, I've never played Gears of War, so plastic action figure shooter doesn't really appeal. I'm not a huge a fan of racing games in general, so pretty as Forza Horizon 3 is it does nothing for me. I was pretty keen for Scalebound last time, but this coop sequence actually ruined it for me, doesn't even look as good as the Poseidon battle for GOW3. Sea of Thieves might be interesting, but it kind of feels like a cartoony game based on the ship portions of AC4: Black Flag. I don't have an Xbox so the new Live features bored me. I still kind of think Cuphead is still the most interesting game announced for Xbox One, why it hasn't released yet is beyond me. I was kind of interested in how they will handle Project Scorpio, I assume the majority of the extra power will be so they can hook an occulus rift to it, though that third party developer reel sort of suggested they want to break the base no matter what MS said about everything staying compatible. Xbox One has a pair of zombie games, neither of which looked as good as the one of PS4, all of which regardless of platform have been done to death. The most visually interesting new game was Inside by the developers behind Limbo. Tekken 7 looked like crap, Halo Wars 2 looked kind of last gen. The very same trailer for Battlefield 1. Not sure any of the conferences has been brilliant.[/QUOTE]
You said it...

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Venger, post: 6514932]I think maybe I'm way to jaded a fanboy now...my over all impression of the MS conference was it just lasted way to long. Sorry, I've never played Gears of War, so plastic action figure shooter doesn't really appeal. I'm not a huge a fan of racing games in general, so pretty as Forza Horizon 3 is it does nothing for me. I was pretty keen for Scalebound last time, but this coop sequence actually ruined it for me, doesn't even look as good as the Poseidon battle for GOW3. Sea of Thieves might be interesting, but it kind of feels like a cartoony game based on the ship portions of AC4: Black Flag. I don't have an Xbox so the new Live features bored me. I still kind of think Cuphead is still the most interesting game announced for Xbox One, why it hasn't released yet is beyond me. I was kind of interested in how they will handle Project Scorpio, I assume the majority of the extra power will be so they can hook an occulus rift to it, though that third party developer reel sort of suggested they want to break the base no matter what MS said about everything staying compatible. Xbox One has a pair of zombie games, neither of which looked as good as the one of PS4, all of which regardless of platform have been done to death. The most visually interesting new game was Inside by the developers behind Limbo. Tekken 7 looked like crap, Halo Wars 2 looked kind of last gen. The very same trailer for Battlefield 1. Not sure any of the conferences has been brilliant.[/QUOTE]

~90 minutes for microsoft and ~75 minutes for sony.....

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
90 minutes wasn't to long per se, MS just dragged on to long, is all.

Brought to you from a mobile app for forums and messageboards

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 6514630]Seriously is that it? What a let down that was the conference was poor I'm every way no new games no new IPs just Scorpio console which don't care about! Where's the games ms! This conference felt like it was a year behind! Everything that was shown was last years announcements but only in to gameplay clips. Utter let down I am sorry but GDC better give fans the games because to that E3 was like a trash man taking out the garbage. 2/10[/QUOTE]Who on earth says that they have nothing new coming in the pipeline? Microsoft have almost always shown games that are going to launch within the next year. They could have easily gone the Sony route and shown stuff without game play, without a launch window attached and got people hyped.

Overall, I thought it was a solid show. They are improving Xbox Live, they have integrated user experience between Windows 10 and the console, have the best library of the current generation consoles which is only going to get better, and for people like me who are already saving for Project Scorpio, it is nothing other than a win.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
This is solid show. The only bad thing is Ms's exclusive range is still limited just like Nintendo. Well Nintendo is the worst buy you get it. If they price the Scorpio right, and Sony ignore 4k gaming I don't see regular users picking neo over scorpio

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6514746][video=youtube;CPDeMkbh3Hs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPDeMkbh3Hs[/video][/QUOTE]
It's going to be interesting to see how sales go for Scorpio. Especially when you can build a stronger PC and still play their exclusives.

MS has more issues to worry bout than just power and 4k. What do you guys think is MS's biggest issue(s)? I see a few that I simply can't see them turning around this gen. Maybe next generation with xbox 2. They're trying new i.p's. They've fixed the Don Mat image for the most part. 3rd party titles aren't broken. They have the price advantage over the ps4 but it's not working.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 6515002]It's going to be interesting to see how sales go for Scorpio. Especially when you can build a stronger PC and still play their exclusives.

MS has more issues to worry bout than just power and 4k. What do you guys think is MS's biggest issue(s)? I see a few that I simply can't see them turning around this gen. Maybe next generation with xbox 2. They're trying new i.p's. They've fixed the Don Mat image for the most part. 3rd party titles aren't broken. They have the price advantage over the ps4 but it's not working.[/QUOTE]
Sales and returns have always been geared towards software sales with the hardware being what brings in users. The existing PC market is still a market they target, and if people are buying exclusives on Windows 10 platform it cannot be spun as a negative.

They made a mess initially with the announcement of the console, and that is something that somewhat confused gamers. With the price point coming down, they should be able to go out there and attract new gamers, and for people looking for a more powerful box, Scorpio offers something different that they can build on in coming years.

The big win for them is Windows 10-Console integration.

XperienZ

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2007
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="acryllicaltair, post: 6515004]Sales and returns have always been geared towards software sales with the hardware being what brings in users. The existing PC market is still a market they target, and if people are buying exclusives on Windows 10 platform it cannot be spun as a negative.

They made a mess initially with the announcement of the console, and that is something that somewhat confused gamers. With the price point coming down, they should be able to go out there and attract new gamers, and for people looking for a more powerful box, Scorpio offers something different that they can build on in coming years.

The big win for them is Windows 10-Console integration.[/QUOTE]

While I am pleased I have a way to play previously exclusive games on Windows, the fact that the only place to get them is on the Windows store (no physical, no Steam etc. etc.) allows Microsoft to set the prices and then presumably never change them. This makes me far less likely to try out their games - perhaps increasing my interest in buying an XBox - than if I could pick up a cheaper key on more competitive code selling websites. Microsoft's trouble is they just want too much control, competition needs to be introduced somewhere or I'm just not gonna be interested giving them my money.

While the Ubi store, SE and EA stores never seem to offer any real value for money, at least they open their games up to be purchased on steam, which like it or not is better than persevering with fencing games inside the Windows store.

Edit: Just quickly to add I think giving both the XBox and PC versions of a game together and not charging extra is pretty fantastic though - I'm not quite sure why they don't leave that as an incentive for higher Windows store prices and allow Steam to sell PC only versions, potentially cheaper for those that don't want that added XBox copy.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2012
So we can buy the (cheaper) PC version of games and get the Xone/Scorpio version free? Or is it just the other way around? PC version free?

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
The AV community is very happy over the XB1s' 4K bluray player. It will be a fight on the audio front when the Neo comes out.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
[QUOTE="XperienZ, post: 6515006]While I am pleased I have a way to play previously exclusive games on Windows, the fact that the only place to get them is on the Windows store (no physical, no Steam etc. etc.) allows Microsoft to set the prices and then presumably never change them. This makes me far less likely to try out their games - perhaps increasing my interest in buying an XBox - than if I could pick up a cheaper key on more competitive code selling websites. Microsoft's trouble is they just want too much control, competition needs to be introduced somewhere or I'm just not gonna be interested giving them my money.

While the Ubi store, SE and EA stores never seem to offer any real value for money, at least they open their games up to be purchased on steam, which like it or not is better than persevering with fencing games inside the Windows store.

Edit: Just quickly to add I think giving both the XBox and PC versions of a game together and not charging extra is pretty fantastic though - I'm not quite sure why they don't leave that as an incentive for higher Windows store prices and allow Steam to sell PC only versions, potentially cheaper for those that don't want that added XBox copy.[/QUOTE]Where you are getting the copy should not matter because there is a pricing issue on digital downloads on Microsoft Store, Playstation Store, Steam et cetera.

F1 2013 and NBA 2k14 are still retailing at $59.99 on the Playstation Store. This is not an issue that is solely to blame on Microsoft, if anything, it is a model the industry would push if not for the fact that people protested when Microsoft tried to push the idea.

XperienZ

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2007
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="acryllicaltair, post: 6515015]Where you are getting the copy should not matter because there is a pricing issue on digital downloads on Microsoft Store, Playstation Store, Steam et cetera.

F1 2013 and NBA 2k14 are still retailing at $59.99 on the Playstation Store. This is not an issue that is solely to blame on Microsoft, if anything, it is a model the industry would push if not for the fact that people protested when Microsoft tried to push the idea.[/QUOTE]

You can buy the disc copy of those games. The Windows Store is the only place to get the Windows version of MS published Windows 10 games. That's why I mentioned the fact that other publisher stores aren't holding a monopoly over the prices since they're also being sold in other stores. Where is the alternative for me to buy Quantum Break PC...?

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Wait what?

Gears of War 4 employs a dynamic resolution system that tweaks the game's rendering resolution in both single-player and multiplayer to maintain its target frame rate in each mode (30 frames per second and 60 fps, respectively). According to Fergusson, the Xbox One S has additional raw GPU and CPU power compared to the Xbox One, and The Coalition's engineers have been able to take advantage of that to reduce the frequency of frame rate or resolution penalties in more demanding sections of the game.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/13/11927732/xbox-one-s-performance-gears-4
So this S thing has already got a slight upgrade in it?

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
Ok so just realised that the S isnt a 4k machine, just for blu ray etc, so imma stick with my phat till the scorpio drops, still pissed about it tho!

and matrix, was far as I was aware, the neo was a ps4.5, the Scorpio is a SUPER xbox one, not a xbox one.5, unless im mistaken?

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
My Understanding is the Scropio is a completely new box, but running the the same o/s compatible with same controllers and compatible with games.

I imagine we will get the same game packaged but with a "Better with Scorpio" style emblem splashed across it.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
[QUOTE="XperienZ, post: 6515017]You can buy the disc copy of those games. The Windows Store is the only place to get the Windows version of MS published Windows 10 games. That's why I mentioned the fact that other publisher stores aren't holding a monopoly over the prices since they're also being sold in other stores. Where is the alternative for me to buy Quantum Break PC...?[/QUOTE]I get the point. But you are missing something too, other publishers are not platform holders.

It would be nice to have a place where one could get a physical copy of the game, but you are arguing for platforms like Steam which do not offer much when it comes to something like pricing. Surely this is moaning for the sake of moaning.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6515043]My Understanding is the Scropio is a completely new box, but running the the same o/s compatible with same controllers and compatible with games.

I imagine we will get the same game packaged but with a "Better with Scorpio" style emblem splashed across it.
[/QUOTE]
With 6 TF and over 320gbs worth of power, it better be....lol And to top it off, Xbox Play anywhere is just the icing on the cake. This is gonna be huge.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6515062]With 6 TF and over 320gbs worth of power, it better be....lol And to top it off, Xbox Play anywhere is just the icing on the cake. This is gonna be huge.[/QUOTE]
They have gone out on a limb when you compare it to what PS4 Neo is said to be packing. I really hope that developers push the envelope with it.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6515038]Ok so just realised that the S isnt a 4k machine, just for blu ray etc, so imma stick with my phat till the scorpio drops, still pissed about it tho!

and matrix, was far as I was aware, the neo was a ps4.5, the Scorpio is a SUPER xbox one, not a xbox one.5, unless im mistaken?[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing the difference. Sony just seems to be launching sooner which leads to a smaller performance gain and likely a lower price point. But I see both the scorpio and neo as 0.5 iterations if you want to call it that.

Seems rather odd about the X1 S having some performance improvement and MS not talking about it. I don't think that is the case. Perhaps Fergusson misspoke.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="acryllicaltair, post: 6515068]They have gone out on a limb when you compare it to what PS4 Neo is said to be packing. I really hope that developers push the envelope with it.[/QUOTE]
Yea, I think they surprised a lot of people with this one. Phil Spencer wasn't playing around when he said he wanted a huge leap forward with big numbers.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6515070]Yea, I think they surprised a lot of people with this one. Phil Spencer wasn't playing around when he said he wanted a huge leap forward with big numbers.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
He had me when he said ''The next step change for gamers and developers must deliver TRUE 4k gaming and high fidelity VR.''

I understood why they took shortcuts with the Xbox One and not being sure if GDDR5 chips would be ready in time, but they have gone the distance with this refresh, and not only with Scorpio, they have given a boost to the slim version of the console too.

E3 in past years has rarely impressed. This for me was the best conference we have seen for this line of consoles not only from a hardware standpoint, but an improvement to the best online infrastructure, integration between Microsoft's platforms, and games.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
The thing I keep thinking about is that is a rare opportunity for MS. Typically consoles have one chance to get it right for 7-10 years. Now if MS was releasing a upgraded console on their own then they may have a bit of backlash coming their way. But Sony primed the public already with the early PS4K talk. Now folks have come to accept that this is happening and MS has a huge chance to right the wrongs of Xbox One. And bringing over games to Windows 10 is a brilliant move. Having an ecosystem across both their gaming platforms is really a no-brainer when you think about it.

I'm happy just because this whole generation has been, frankly, rather boring. Feel like a new competition is starting up. I just hope it isn't totally dominated by VR.