Official Microsoft E3 Press Conference Thread

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Christopher, post: 6515100]The thing I keep thinking about is that is a rare opportunity for MS. Typically consoles have one chance to get it right for 7-10 years. Now if MS was releasing a upgraded console on their own then they may have a bit of backlash coming their way. But Sony primed the public already with the early PS4K talk. Now folks have come to accept that this is happening and MS has a huge chance to right the wrongs of Xbox One. And bringing over games to Windows 10 is a brilliant move. Having an ecosystem across both their gaming platforms is really a no-brainer when you think about it.

I'm happy just because this whole generation has been, frankly, rather boring. Feel like a new competition is starting up. I just hope it isn't totally dominated by VR.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is giant middle finger to Don Matrick, thank god.
As for VR dont panic, MS is saying , yeah if you want VR, go for it, we aint supplying it though.

So I imagine they will mandate some sort of unified API for VR on windows and Xbox, or allow game devs to supply support on a driver by driver basis.

Much like 3d support on the Xbox 360, yeah it was possible, and you could even choose which type of 3d in some games.

So I imagine it will be the same, "VR enabled" as an option in the setting menu, and you choose your headset.

But the fact that they are saying , go occulos or go vive , is quite good.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
The only thing that I keep thinking about is the price. The console is powerful as hell but what will it cost. That will determine the success in my eyes. But kudos to MS for making a beast of a console.

XperienZ

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2007
Wales, UK
£11.99 [/URL] but if i want it on PC I can ONLY get it from the Windows Store and its STILL £22.49

You can buy a steam key from any CD Key selling merchant for less than Steam are asking themselves... Even that is a different option for me as a consumer... I don't get why you're not understanding the problem I have with the way MS is distributing their games on Windows.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
£11.99 [/URL] but if i want it on PC I can ONLY get it from the Windows Store and its STILL £22.49

You can buy a steam key from any CD Key selling merchant for less than Steam are asking themselves... Even that is a different option for me as a consumer... I don't get why you're not understanding the problem I have with the way MS is distributing their games on Windows.
Perhaps MS will offer sales on windows games in the future like they do for games on the xbox store currently.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010

No one will tell you that what MS are doing is ideal. When it comes to digital downloads, it is an issue with each and every market place out there, not Microsoft alone.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
[QUOTE="acryllicaltair, post: 6514998]Who on earth says that they have nothing new coming in the pipeline? Microsoft have almost always shown games that are going to launch within the next year. They could have easily gone the Sony route and shown stuff without game play, without a launch window attached and got people hyped.

Overall, I thought it was a solid show. They are improving Xbox Live, they have integrated user experience between Windows 10 and the console, have the best library of the current generation consoles which is only going to get better, and for people like me who are already saving for Project Scorpio, it is nothing other than a win.[/QUOTE]

Have to say how can it be a solid conference with so many sequels?? Hardly any new IPs given apart from maybe 2 or 3 but doesn't appeal to the hardcore market of fans. Not bashing anything here but my brother watched the show and he's a xbo gamer he wants to be involved in alot of the stuff but he's wasn't impressed with this year E3 by any means.

Yes they will have new games in pipeline but nothing this year or next year's release that is! Games are the talking points that makes a console but MS isn't giving much or given much at this E3!!

Keep Scorpio all you like it's for those who own a 4Ktv to have that console talking alot of money for those who don't own a 4K TV yet! Would rather spend the money else where eg games, DLC, season passes than buy (upgraded) new console. Let's hope they give us something at GDC.

Last edited:

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 6515272]Have to say how can it be a solid conference with so many sequels?? Hardly any new IPs given apart from maybe 2 or 3 but doesn't appeal to the hardcore market of fans. Not bashing anything here but my brother watched the show and he's a xbo gamer he wants to be involved in alot of the stuff but he's wasn't impressed with this year E3 by any means.

Yes they will have new games in pipeline but nothing this year or next year's release that is! Games are the talking points that makes a console but MS isn't giving much or given much at this E3!!

Keep Scorpio all you like it's for those who own a 4Ktv to have that console talking alot of money for those who don't own a 4K TV yet! Would rather spend the money else where eg games, DLC, season passes than buy (upgraded) new console. Let's hope they give us something at GDC.[/QUOTE]
If someone asked how many Playstation games are going to be out for release in the next calendar year, how many would people point out to?

That has always been an issue for me in all the years I have not only been here, but in other gaming forums too, the excitement that people show for games that are early in development with quite a few being canned or having to wait anther two or so years before the game launches or possibly three or close to that as is the case with something like The Last Guardian.

I also never get the hate that they get on something like sequels. Yes, they give you Halo, Gears of War, Forza yet people who have an issue with those having sequels never seem to have an issue with games like God of War, Killzone, Uncharted, Gran Turismo.

They have this generation put out a good amount of games that cater towards different genres, and if you go back all the way to the original Xbox one sees a tradition of a publisher that has gone out of its way to try and get a good amount of content out catered towards every gaming genre.

It has always been my hope that they will have a development house somewhere near the size of what Sony has, but reality is that they possibly do not need that with all the second party publishing that they have put out down the years, and as people complain about sequels, they have put out and/or will be releasing games like Project Sparc, D4, Ori and the Blind Forest, ReCore, Killer Instinct, Kinect Sports Rivals, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive amongst others.

So when people come up and talk about games being the talking point on consoles, and how Microsoft is failing to deliver, one realizes that that is a claim that is neither here not there. Come E3 next year, Sony will be showing majority of what they announced this year when Microsoft will be showing new stuff that they expect to release within the next year.

Finally, Microsoft is hardly assembling a more powerful GPU, CPU and memory setup simply to chase after 4K and VR alone. We will see better frame rates on Scorpio, better graphics and better effects on it compared to the base Xbox One console in addition to it being possibly the most powerful console released to date, that is something that would apply both to PS4 Neo and PS4.

As I said before, for me, Microsoft had the better conference from showing games with a release window in tow, the improvements to Xbox Live, the streamlining of their platforms and their vision for what they want to achieve with Scorpio. They could have added three to five announcement trailers with no gameplay and got people more hyped, but where is the harm in the releasing that information when they have a timeline for release and some gameplay that they can show out?

And when it comes to sequels, there are games on both platforms that I hope get sequels. I still miss Project Gotham Racing, Rallisport Challenge, Kameo, Perfect Dark or Banjo, and I am sure that JRPG fans wouldn't mind another tie up if it meant the console got Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey type quality games on the platform.

But as people make these complaints, they are looking forward to Resident Evil, Tekken, Call of Duty, God of War, Gran Turismo, Doom, Elder Scrolls, a reboot of Prey, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Dishonored 2 et cetera. It is a blind claim when the industry has always revolved around getting it right and offering sequels, a misplaced argument without basis in known reality.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="nextgen3, post: 6515272]

[/QUOTE]

Everything MS showed will be out before next E3.

You'll be getting two games out of Sony, possibly three if GoW4 is fair way along.

Look I thought God of War stole the entire E3, but Im not fooled in to thinking that Sony have a solid line up for the coming year. Much like the past 3 years they will have one or two big titles and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 6515312]Everything MS showed will be out before next E3.

You'll be getting two games out of Sony, possibly three if GoW4 is fair way along.

Look I thought God of War stole the entire E3, but Im not fooled in to thinking that Sony have a solid line up for the coming year. Much like the past 3 years they will have one or two big titles and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Most of the games they showed were from last e3.

Scalebound
Sea of Thieves
Recore
Gears

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6515328]Most of the games they showed were from last e3.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, absolutely, no big reveals, but like I said elsewhere, Id rather they go down the Fallout 4 route than drag out these reveals for years, I mean when arewe going to see Kojimas project, probably 2019?

They turn up with nothing next year, then yeah that is a bad e3.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="acryllicaltair, post: 6515281]If someone asked how many Playstation games are going to be out for release in the next calendar year, how many would people point out to?

That has always been an issue for me in all the years I have not only been here, but in other gaming forums too, the excitement that people show for games that are early in development with quite a few being canned or having to wait anther two or so years before the game launches or possibly three or close to that as is the case with something like The Last Guardian.

I also never get the hate that they get on something like sequels. Yes, they give you Halo, Gears of War, Forza yet people who have an issue with those having sequels never seem to have an issue with games like God of War, Killzone, Uncharted, Gran Turismo.

They have this generation put out a good amount of games that cater towards different genres, and if you go back all the way to the original Xbox one sees a tradition of a publisher that has gone out of its way to try and get a good amount of content out catered towards every gaming genre.

It has always been my hope that they will have a development house somewhere near the size of what Sony has, but reality is that they possibly do not need that with all the second party publishing that they have put out down the years, and as people complain about sequels, they have put out and/or will be releasing games like Project Sparc, D4, Ori and the Blind Forest, ReCore, Killer Instinct, Kinect Sports Rivals, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive amongst others.

So when people come up and talk about games being the talking point on consoles, and how Microsoft is failing to deliver, one realizes that that is a claim that is neither here not there. Come E3 next year, Sony will be showing majority of what they announced this year when Microsoft will be showing new stuff that they expect to release within the next year.

Finally, Microsoft is hardly assembling a more powerful GPU, CPU and memory setup simply to chase after 4K and VR alone. We will see better frame rates on Scorpio, better graphics and better effects on it compared to the base Xbox One console in addition to it being possibly the most powerful console released to date, that is something that would apply both to PS4 Neo and PS4.

As I said before, for me, Microsoft had the better conference from showing games with a release window in tow, the improvements to Xbox Live, the streamlining of their platforms and their vision for what they want to achieve with Scorpio. They could have added three to five announcement trailers with no gameplay and got people more hyped, but where is the harm in the releasing that information when they have a timeline for release and some gameplay that they can show out?

And when it comes to sequels, there are games on both platforms that I hope get sequels. I still miss Project Gotham Racing, Rallisport Challenge, Kameo, Perfect Dark or Banjo, and I am sure that JRPG fans wouldn't mind another tie up if it meant the console got Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey type quality games on the platform.

But as people make these complaints, they are looking forward to Resident Evil, Tekken, Call of Duty, God of War, Gran Turismo, Doom, Elder Scrolls, a reboot of Prey, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Dishonored 2 et cetera. It is a blind claim when the industry has always revolved around getting it right and offering sequels, a misplaced argument without basis in known reality.[/QUOTE]
Mostly true but Ms never had a Dev to counter Naughty Dog, Santa Monica.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6515333]Mostly true but Ms never had a Dev to counter Naughty Dog, Santa Monica.[/QUOTE]
That is not necessarily a bad thing. Microsoft have tied up partnership with remedy that has brought forth games like Alan Wake and Quantum Break, and there is a rumor that Remedy may well be working on Alan Wake 2. If they continue churning out games like those, and getting them to be quality, then no one will be complaining. Also forgotten might be the fact that they got Splinter Cell: Conviction as an exclusive last gen.

When it comes to the hack and slash genre, that is one where they have struggled to get quality in outside Ninja Gaiden, but not for a lack of trying when you look at some of the games that they have published to try and bridge the gap in that type of game.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6515328]Most of the games they showed were from last e3.

Scalebound
Sea of Thieves
Recore
Gears[/QUOTE]
Which imo is much better than showing something that's releasing in 2 or 3 more years. E3 is about the present year as much as the future.
[QUOTE="acryllicaltair, post: 6515354]That is not necessarily a bad thing. Microsoft have tied up partnership with remedy that has brought forth games like Alan Wake and Quantum Break, and there is a rumor that Remedy may well be working on Alan Wake 2. If they continue churning out games like those, and getting them to be quality, then no one will be complaining. Also forgotten might be the fact that they got Splinter Cell: Conviction as an exclusive last gen.

When it comes to the hack and slash genre, that is one where they have struggled to get quality in outside Ninja Gaiden, but not for a lack of trying when you look at some of the games that they have published to try and bridge the gap in that type of game.[/QUOTE]
Yep, they definitely struggle in that hack-n-slash department. Do a Ryse 2 with platinum games in charge of gameplay and problem solved. At least for me...lol On the other hand, they've done well in other genres. Killer Instinct still has no equal imo.

Last edited:

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6515379]Which imo is much better than showing something that's releasing in 2 or 3 more years. E3 is about the present year as much as the future.[/QUOTE]When the consoles are released, it is normal that you will have a good amount of games shown that are some ways off mainly because that is when the developers are basically starting out and learning what the console architecture looks like. Apart from that, you might have developers who are still working on the previous console and are late when it comes to adopting new tech.

At this moment in time, close to three years down the line, no one should be showing games that are two maybe three years off completion. That is one of the reasons I considered previous showings of E3 a disappointment.

Yep, they definitely struggle in that hack-n-slash department. Do a Ryse 2 with platinum games in charge of gameplay and problem solved. At least for me...lol On the other hand, they've done well in other genres. Killer Instinct still has no equal imo.
Yes, they have done well. One of my biggest hopes is that they forget Forza Horizon for a year after Forza and give us Rallisport Challenge 3. I always thought that not getting Digital Illusions and Bioware was the biggest mistake Microsoft ever made.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="acryllicaltair, post: 6515385]
Yes, they have done well. One of my biggest hopes is that they forget Forza Horizon for a year after Forza and give us Rallisport Challenge 3. I always thought that not getting Digital Illusions and Bioware was the biggest mistake Microsoft ever made.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more with everything you just said.
Even if they simply shove Forza in front of it, and call it Forza Rallisport, I'm up for it!

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6515379]Which imo is much better than showing something that's releasing in 2 or 3 more years. E3 is about the present year as much as the future.

Yep, they definitely struggle in that hack-n-slash department. Do a Ryse 2 with platinum games in charge of gameplay and problem solved. At least for me...lol On the other hand, they've done well in other genres. Killer Instinct still has no equal imo.[/QUOTE]

They announced last year so yeah they were pretty much 2 years from release upon initial release. Not like they just showed them. So how is that different? Some of those games are 2017 titles. Next year those titles will likely be 2018 titles that are fresh new announcements. No different. Ms just didn't have a much more to show this year. Different approaches. Both were good but Sony relied on future releases and ms relied on new hardware. Don't get how you guys act like Sony is doing widely different things because MS did the same strategy last year. Hell even Crackdown was a no show.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6515415]They announced last year so yeah they were pretty much 2 years from release upon initial release. Not like they just showed them. So how is that different? Some of those games are 2017 titles. Next year those titles will likely be 2018 titles that are fresh new announcements. No different. Ms just didn't have a much more to show this year. Different approaches. Both were good but Sony relied on future releases and ms relied on new hardware. Don't get how you guys act like Sony is doing widely different things because MS did the same strategy last year. Hell even Crackdown was a no show.[/QUOTE]

MS had future releases too, but theirs are in the near future. "Here's what you'll playing the rest of the year on xb1, and by the way, we have a new for a horizon you'll be playing in a few months". I think that's a good strategy and one that's worked well for them. Why focus too much on games that are 2 or 3 years away? It may not be for everyone, but I like it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="PS4freak, post: 6515415]They announced last year so yeah they were pretty much 2 years from release upon initial release. Not like they just showed them. So how is that different? Some of those games are 2017 titles. Next year those titles will likely be 2018 titles that are fresh new announcements. No different. Ms just didn't have a much more to show this year. Different approaches. Both were good but Sony relied on future releases and ms relied on new hardware. Don't get how you guys act like Sony is doing widely different things because MS did the same strategy last year. Hell even Crackdown was a no show.[/QUOTE]

You gotta look at the past years conferences together, not in isolation freak

Here is what Sony announced/showed last year

TLG No but this year
H:ZD Nope
Dreams Nope
Shenmue Nope
No Mans Sky Nope
Uncharted 4 Released
SFF IV Released
FF :Nope
UNtil Dawn: Yes

So only three of those games came out. With another one due.

Here's what MS showed last year:

Halo 5: released
Re-core :No but this year
Forza 6: released
Tomb Raider: released
Gears Ultimate: released
Rare replay: released
Sea of theives: Nope
Fable Legends: Cancelled
Crackdown2 :Nope
Halo Wars 2: Nope
Scalebound: Nope

So from last year MS had 5 of their games already released with another one this year, and another one in Feb.

MS has always had a higher asmount of games shown that are actually coming out before the next E3.

For petes sake that Days Zombies games if a 2018 title now!

And what happend to dreams?

Edit: forgot untill dawn.

Last edited:

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
And two of those games are remastered titles. The difference is not as big as you are making it out too be. I'm not saying MS hasn't released more but you're acting as if these games are light years away. The difference isn't that large. Yes MS has the advantage but it's not like most of these titles are forever away. Except for maybe FF because it is Square we are talking about. No man's Sky is right on the heels of E3 and without a delay would have released by now but got pushed back to1 month past e3. Although that game has been pumped for a while. But putting them on a vacuum based on last year they difference is not near as big as you're eluding to.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 6515379]Which imo is much better than showing something that's releasing in 2 or 3 more years. E3 is about the present year as much as the future.

Yep, they definitely struggle in that hack-n-slash department. Do a Ryse 2 with platinum games in charge of gameplay and problem solved. At least for me...lol On the other hand, they've done well in other genres. Killer Instinct still has no equal imo.[/QUOTE]
Killer instinct has no counter? Are you really saying that? What the hell are SF, KOF? Two most popular fighting games are exclusive on ps4.