Official Personal PS3 Picture and Setup Thread

Tim Quinn

Apprentice
Jun 14, 2008
My Bedroom setup (this is all about 5' from the foot of my bed).

• Sharp 32D64U 32" 1080p LCD
  • 60GB PS3
  • Logitech G25
  • Dell XPS 420 PC
  • My Monkey "Chopstix"
The Downshot (please forgive the gross carpet :oops: previous tenants made a horrible mess and I have been too lazy to get them cleaned):

Close-up:

Gran Tourismo Mode:

It's a bit of a mess, but with 2 roomates I spend most of my time in my room.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim Quinn

Apprentice
Jun 14, 2008
[QUOTE="THE_FORCE, post: 0]Great to see how everyone's setups have evolved - looking good !

Here's some updated pics of mine:

Main PS3 7.1 setup:

Seating and surrounds:

Surround backs:

[/quote]

Damn that is a gorgeous house/apartment. (your setups are nice too :mrgreen: )

-Tim

office chair [/URL]on order, so I will do a lot more gaming in the room when it is delivered. )
The shot below is with the Dell in place:

This one has the Dell out of the way:

This setup consists of Logitech z-680 5.1 speakers (for games and movies), an M-audio transit USB sound card from my computer feeding a Beresford DAC which feeds the signal to a Musical Fidelity X-can V3 which then feeds my Senn HD 580 headphones for audio. I also have a vintage Marantz feeding some bookshelf speakers that are not in the shot.

As I mentioned before, the Denon 3808ci in my living room feeds a monoprice HDMI splitter that goes into my computer room. One thing I like about the Denon is that I can control it using its web interface (even with an iPod Touch). This makes it easy to change the setup so that it will feed the audio to the TV instead of playing it over the speakers in my living room.

As I mentioned before, the desk is not really right for the setup, but I am living with it. I stored everything that was behind the monitor under the roll top on the audio rack behind my chair.
My new office chair came in. I liked the way it goes from task chair to lounge chair just by leaning back. It has a reclining back and the headrest can be moved to work with the new position. I am still trying to decide if I want a new desk, but now I am ready for gaming, watching movies, and surfing the web in my home office. :)

Here is a pic (it is actually black leather, but the lighting gave it a bit of a copper sheen:

XD

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2006
here's my setup:

46 in samsung

for all of you that own homes, i recommend mounting yer TV. Its very easy and will cost around 100 bucks for a wall mount and some tools.

[QUOTE="XD, post: 0]here's my setup:

46 in samsung

for all of you that own homes, i recommend mounting yer TV. Its very easy and will cost around 100 bucks for a wall mount and some tools.[/quote]
I know Monoprice sells them for a decent price. Of my HDTVs, only one of them is a flat panel and a wall mount would not work with the furntiture in the room. I think a wall mount can be nice in the right room, but unfortunately, many of the wall mounts I have seen are placed too high. A lot of them remind me of sitting in the front row at the movie theater.

That being said, I like the wall mounts that can tilt and swivel. I just don't have a place for one in my flat panel setup.:( BTW I like the way you hid the wires!

Jun 10, 2008
[QUOTE="Doc Evils, post: 0]

Finally got a HD TV. :)[/quote]

Congrats and very nice tv!

However, its just a pet peeve, but take the stickers off the TV. They give me chills up and down my spine and not in a good way. :)

Jun 10, 2008
[QUOTE="XD, post: 0]here's my setup:

46 in samsung

for all of you that own homes, i recommend mounting yer TV. Its very easy and will cost around 100 bucks for a wall mount and some tools.[/quote]

Nice setup bit I'm not a fan of wall mounts, especially since I would prefer the center of the screen to be at viewing height which typically puts the bottom of the screen at around 30 inches from the ground.

Now you need to add the external surround sound speakers. :D

B

bolofly2003

thanks. i want a little help. i have the ps3 80gb and sony str-da4300es receiver. i tried to get the dts master audio. my receiver have it. but it doesnt detect when i put a blu ray with dts master audio on it. please help me to enjoy dts master audio. i put the lastest ps3 firmware. 2.41. i think its the hsmi cable. i use the mosnter ultra 1000

Tim Quinn

Apprentice
Jun 14, 2008
[QUOTE="bolofly2003, post: 0]thanks. i want a little help. i have the ps3 80gb and sony str-da4300es receiver. i tried to get the dts master audio. my receiver have it. but it doesnt detect when i put a blu ray with dts master audio on it. please help me to enjoy dts master audio. i put the lastest ps3 firmware. 2.41. i think its the hsmi cable. i use the mosnter ultra 1000[/quote]

The PS3 decodes the audio itself (it doesn't send it out to be decoded by anything else) and sends the processed audio to your receiver, so your receiver wont say its doing master audio (cause its already been done by the PS3). Just make sure your audio output settings are set to Linear PCM 192khz and all is good.

Oh and I don't think this is the right thread for you to be asking a question like that, this is for posting pictures of your setup only :D Make sure to look carefully for the correct thread before posting.

Cheers,
Tim

B

bolofly2003

its said linear pcm 192. its dts master audio. i see in this forum receivers that said dts master audio in the screen

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
this is not the proper thread for this but anyways....

[QUOTE="bolofly2003, post: 0]its said linear pcm 192. its dts master audio. i see in this forum receivers that said dts master audio in the screen[/quote]

if the receiver said "DTS Master" on the display then it was not hooked to a PS3....let me try to explain this as simple as possible...

first off...the audio and video is stored on the disc...this information is usually compressed in some for...a lot like if you download a ".zip" or ".rar" file on your PC....

PCM audio = totally raw uncompressed audio information
DTS Master is a form of compression technology that keeps all the original information from the original PCM audio...

when you play a Blu-ray on your PS3 you have 2 options in how the PS3 sends the audio to the receiver...

1. Linear PCM (LPCM) - this means that the PS3 itself decodes the information from the disc...it de-compresses that audio format (in this case DTS Master) back into PCM audio...it then sends the PCM information to your reciever so your reciever will display "PCM"...

2. Bitstream - this means the PS3 does not touch the compressed file and just sends it along the HDMI cable to the receiver to let the receiver do the decompression....THEN your receiver will display DTS Master....

if you let the PS3 decode it...it changes the audio into PCM...so your receiver will never know that the original signal was DTS Master....

here is the only catch...the PS3 CANNOT bitstream DTS Master, or Dolby TrueHD...it MUST decode them internally....so if you are watching a Blu-ray in your PS3 and want to listen to DTS Master, or Dolby True HD....your receiver will NEVER display those words on screen...it will always say PCM...

B

bolofly2003

in this forum i see pics of receivers that read dts master audio.

if i put the settings in ps3 to linear pcm. the ps3 decode the master audio and send it to the receiver and the receiver screen read linear pcm 192?

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="bolofly2003, post: 0]in this forum i see pics of receivers that read dts master audio.[/quote]

you mean like this one?

that is like that because Reflex has a stand alone Blu-ray player that has the ability to BITSTREAM DTS Master audio....

my Onkyo 605 receiver also supports DTS: Master but i can't get it to say DTS:MA on my screen because my only Blu-ray player is the PS3...

the LPCM audio you are hearing IS DTS Master...its just being decoded by the PS3 and not your receiver....

B

bolofly2003

yes this pic. so the ps3 dont have the capacity to send me dts master in bitstream? i need to set tthe ps3 in linear pcm?

also i have the toshiba hd-a1. i have the same problem to set the digital true hd. i need to set it in linear pcm?

also when i put the hd movie or bue ray i need to settinf the disc audio in digital true hd or digital master? and the hd player or ps3 decode the signal and send it to the receiver?

i dont need need hdmi cables like the monster 1000hd?

Mar 28, 2007
[QUOTE="Tim Quinn, post: 0]Damn that is a gorgeous house/apartment. (your setups are nice too :mrgreen: )

-Tim[/quote]
Very kind of you Tim - cheers mate !:D

XD

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2006
[QUOTE="uofmtiger, post: 0]I know Monoprice sells them for a decent price. Of my HDTVs, only one of them is a flat panel and a wall mount would not work with the furntiture in the room. I think a wall mount can be nice in the right room, but unfortunately, many of the wall mounts I have seen are placed too high. A lot of them remind me of sitting in the front row at the movie theater.

That being said, I like the wall mounts that can tilt and swivel. I just don't have a place for one in my flat panel setup.:( BTW I like the way you hid the wires![/quote]

yea, i bought my mount for 70$ with tilt. and mines actually pretty low and eye level when sitting down.

Jan 15, 2007
Samsung LN52A650
Samsung HTIB AVS-720 (7.1 Surround)
Klipsch Synergy F3
Polk Audio LSiC
Samsung speaker (Surround)
Sony Playstation 3
Popcorn Hour A100 with extra custom fans and internal hardrive PATA 750GB.
Pioneer upscale 1080P

Sep 12, 2005
[QUOTE="louhamilton, post: 0]Congrats and very nice tv!

However, its just a pet peeve, but take the stickers off the TV. They give me chills up and down my spine and not in a good way. :)[/quote]

hehe don't worry I did. :p

Jul 14, 2008
[QUOTE="Little_Donkey, post: 0]argh again?

Ok here is my setup
  • Sony SXRD KDS 55a2000 1080p
  • Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
  • Playstation 3 60gb
  • Playstation 2 Satin Silver
  • Nintendo Gamecube Silver
  • Xbox360 Premium
  • Monitor Audio Speakers 2xRS1, 1xRS LCR, 4x BRFX Bipoles/Dipoles(Full7.1)
  • SVS PB12+ Subwoofer
  • Atacama Speaker Stands
here the pic:

[/quote]

Hello there mate. Can you tell me how you illuminate the back of your TV or is it just the back of your TV? IT looks brilliant! I saw another chap on this forum but his illuminated was massive! Could you teach me how to do it? I've got a samsung 6 series btw.

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="samuelc, post: 0]Hello there mate. Can you tell me how you illuminate the back of your TV or is it just the back of your TV? IT looks brilliant! I saw another chap on this forum but his illuminated was massive! Could you teach me how to do it? I've got a samsung 6 series btw.[/quote]

well some TV's have an ambient light feature built into them....now if this is not the case most guys do like little strips of LED lights....they sell them all over the place...you just need a power source and you stick them to the back of the TV...

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
So I recently updated my setup... moved the front two speakers out of the way, put my router on the wall and got a stand for my games and movies. I'm not for sure yet where to put my front speakers for the surround sound... as if I lay them on the sides in front of the TV the receiver for the remote is slightly blocked. Here's the before and after pics from a few weeks ago to now.

<image removed.

After that picture I moved the speakers to the front and laid them down and it looks a little better.

EDIT: And if you can make it out... yes I do have 2 copies of COD4 and GTA4. One mine and the other is my roommates... who isn't here currently or we'd also have 2 PS3's and another copy of NCAA 09.

Another edit, here's what it looks like when I have the L/R speakers laying down in front.

<image removed>

FailedEXE

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2008
I would first all like to apologize for the abysmal picture quality since my camera is a cheap vivatar. I could use my cellphone but it has even worst quality.

My theater is currently in progress since the only thing that is missing is a good surround sound system. The TV sound is not too bad but it isn't going to serve any justice when I pick up games like Dead Space for the experience.

A new camera will probably be my next investment so I could show off some games in action.

Sep 20, 2006
[QUOTE="samuelc, post: 0]Hello there mate. Can you tell me how you illuminate the back of your TV or is it just the back of your TV? IT looks brilliant! I saw another chap on this forum but his illuminated was massive! Could you teach me how to do it? I've got a samsung 6 series btw.[/quote]

Hey hello, with a white wall, the light comes out better.
I used Ikea trettioen led lights or dioder
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50119407
you get 4bars that you can stick to the tv.

If you get the multicolored one, you can change the color

greetz