Official Personal PS3 Picture and Setup Thread

Blood765

Superior Member
Oct 19, 2006

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Alright guys, so we upgraded our sound system. Got rid of the HTIB and picked up a Sony 7.1 Home Theater Receiver and a 12" 650W Klipsch subwoofer and still using my old 5 channel surround sound speakers. I tested it out and in the opening scene of 'Walk the Line' with audio at regular volume I started to make things rattle, which was something my other one couldn't do even on high volume. I actually have optical audio in now so I can finally run that from my PS3.

So here are my 'stats' now:
46" Samsung 1080p LCD
PS3 40GB (w/ 320GB HDD)
PS3 40GB (roommates)
250GB External HDD (loaded with videos)
Sony 7.1-Ch Receiver (STR-DG720)
Klipsch 650W Subwoofer

I'm planning on rigging something up behind the stand so that we don't see all the wires. I'm thinking some cardboard spray painted black would work, or maybe even some cloth.

ex nihilo7

Master Poster
Nov 13, 2006
[QUOTE="ttech10, post: 0]Alright guys, so we upgraded our sound system. Got rid of the HTIB and picked up a Sony 7.1 Home Theater Receiver and a 12" 650W Klipsch subwoofer and still using my old 5 channel surround sound speakers. I tested it out and in the opening scene of 'Walk the Line' with audio at regular volume I started to make things rattle, which was something my other one couldn't do even on high volume. I actually have optical audio in now so I can finally run that from my PS3.

So here are my 'stats' now:
46" Samsung 1080p LCD
PS3 40GB (w/ 320GB HDD)
PS3 40GB (roommates)
250GB External HDD (loaded with videos)
Sony 7.1-Ch Receiver (STR-DG720)
Klipsch 650W Subwoofer

I'm planning on rigging something up behind the stand so that we don't see all the wires. I'm thinking some cardboard spray painted black would work, or maybe even some cloth.[/quote]
Doesn't that model accept audio over HDMI?

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="ex nihilo7, post: 0]Doesn't that model accept audio over HDMI?[/quote]

Yea it does. Are you trying to get at that I should just use the HDMI for sound too instead of the optical audio cable?

jaewest304

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2008
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="ttech10, post: 0]Yea it does. Are you trying to get at that I should just use the HDMI for sound too instead of the optical audio cable?[/quote]

I thought optical was the better option for good sound quality...am I wrong?

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="jaewest304, post: 0]I thought optical was the better option for good sound quality...am I wrong?[/quote]

I thought that too, but I looked it up to confirm/deny it and found that they're both basically the same, except HDMI can do 7.1 with the PS3 and Optical Audio cannot. I went ahead and switched the PS3 sound back to HDMI and am now watching Transformers in HD. Then I used the Optical Audio cable I had to hook the TV up to the receiver and that's working a lot better overall because before I had component cables hooked up to it.

Mar 28, 2007
Nice setups folks - keep 'em comin !

Just a quick note - if you use optical then you'll only get the vanilla Dolby Digital and DTS tracks from your Blu-rays. The preference is for HDMI audio between PS3 and Receiver/Amp/Processor, as this will send Uncompressed PCM, Dolby True HD & DTS-HD MA to said devices. (In the PS3's case of course, DTS-HD MA gets sent as LPCM to the receiver as there is currently no bitstream support for this.)

Metfanant

Forum Sage
Apr 12, 2006
NY
[QUOTE="jaewest304, post: 0]I thought optical was the better option for good sound quality...am I wrong?[/quote]

[QUOTE="ttech10, post: 0]I thought that too, but I looked it up to confirm/deny it and found that they're both basically the same, except HDMI can do 7.1 with the PS3 and Optical Audio cannot. I went ahead and switched the PS3 sound back to HDMI and am now watching Transformers in HD. Then I used the Optical Audio cable I had to hook the TV up to the receiver and that's working a lot better overall because before I had component cables hooked up to it.[/quote]

[QUOTE="THE_FORCE, post: 0]Nice setups folks - keep 'em comin !

Just a quick note - if you use optical then you'll only get the vanilla Dolby Digital and DTS tracks from your Blu-rays. The preference is for HDMI audio between PS3 and Receiver/Amp/Processor, as this will send Uncompressed PCM, Dolby True HD & DTS-HD MA to said devices. (In the PS3's case of course, DTS-HD MA gets sent as LPCM to the receiver as there is currently no bitstream support for this.)[/quote]

HDMI is currently the ONLY way to get the highest quality video and audio in home theater...period...

badz_ps3

Master Poster
Mar 21, 2006
ps3forums.com
Use HDMI. It has a higher bandwidth than fiber optic and it can then send your DTS:HD MA and Dolby TrueHD tracks to your receiver as LPCM and give you the best sound available now.

In short the HDMI cables has say 10 lanes for traffic to flow through rather than only the 4 lanes fiber optic has. The new DTS and Dolby tracks NEED the 10 lanes so you should def run HDMI

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Thanks for the help guys on clearing up the whole "HDMI vs Optical" thing. I switched it over earlier today back to HDMI and have the optical audio going from my TV to the receiver since I only have one HDMI at the moment (have one ordered from Monoprice).

After trying to pinpoint and git rid of some squeaky floor area where my setup used to be I decided to move everything around, sort of like how it used to be.

I made it a ghetto rigged stand to go in front of our fireplace that we never use and have the other stand on top of that. It works a lot better I think than how we had it before and I think the room looks a lot nicer now. Plus I was able to get rid of the major squeaks. I'm now also able to not have my front surround speakers on the stand halfway covering the remote control sensor.

ex nihilo7

Master Poster
Nov 13, 2006
[QUOTE="ttech10, post: 0]Thanks for the help guys on clearing up the whole "HDMI vs Optical" thing. I switched it over earlier today back to HDMI and have the optical audio going from my TV to the receiver since I only have one HDMI at the moment (have one ordered from Monoprice).

After trying to pinpoint and git rid of some squeaky floor area where my setup used to be I decided to move everything around, sort of like how it used to be.

I made it a ghetto rigged stand to go in front of our fireplace that we never use and have the other stand on top of that. It works a lot better I think than how we had it before and I think the room looks a lot nicer now. Plus I was able to get rid of the major squeaks. I'm now also able to not have my front surround speakers on the stand halfway covering the remote control sensor.[/quote]
Yeah I think that looks better that way. Also, yeah I was saying to use HDMI for audio, since the PS3 will decode all the new formats for you and send it as LPCM. I was just giving you a heads up :p.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="ex nihilo7, post: 0]Yeah I think that looks better that way. Also, yeah I was saying to use HDMI for audio, since the PS3 will decode all the new formats for you and send it as LPCM. I was just giving you a heads up :p.[/quote]

Thanks. Yea for some reason I was thinking Optical was better even knowing about different things that HDMI does... I guess I just wasn't thinking. I got that switched back though and now have the Optical Audio connected with the TV to receiver.

Dec 31, 2006
[QUOTE="PhinheadLR, post: 0]I am a SONY homer.

Primary Unit:
40" XBR
Launch 60
Sony Receiver (Next update)
Bose 191 in-wall (6)
Polk 10" Sub (2nd priority update)
Newton Center

* The cables have been cleaned up, and don't hold me accountable for the ABBA CD--it is the wife's. ;)

Secondary Unit:(Camera Phone)

42" Grand Wega

40 GB PS3

[/quote]

Receiver upgrade to the 3300ES.

The 3300 has been discontinued because it doesn't internally decode HD, but we know we don't need it. I picked the last one up from Crutchfield discounted to ~$600, and each unit comes with a 5 year warranty from Sony. They debuted at $1000.

Home Theater Magazine dubbed it, "As far as I'm concerned, this is the standard that all other receiver makers should aspire to."http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/907sony3300/
Get them before they are gone!

XMB for life!!;)

Jun 3, 2008
Yo phinhead, I really like that cd/dvd holder you have. where did you find that? I like how it displays a couple albums...

Dec 31, 2006
I found that at one of the brick-and-mortars; I believe it was Circuit City. It goes well with the antique black look that my wife loves.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Alright, I think I FINALLY have my stuff set up where I want it. Where the sub is now I get very limited (if any) rattle from in the room. Part of it was coming from the legs on the sub (which I fixed with scissors and a drink coozie, haha) and the wall on the other side of the TV (opposite from where it is now). All that rattles now is stuff in the other rooms. I got the other wall (the 'open' one) repainted to cover up all the scratches/marks on it so that side looks nice now.

After two days of working hard I think I can finally sit back, grab a beer and relax. I bought 'Departed' and John Mayer on Blu-Ray today and have been watching John Mayer so tonight I'll be watching Departed (for the first time).

So what do you guys think of it?

sj808

Apprentice
Dec 26, 2007
aight... I gotta update my setup. my pics were from my parent's home theatre when I was in Houston temporarily for my job.

Now I'm back in Orlando with my own spot. Its nothing like my dad's setup... but it'll do for now. n