Official PSU Poll: How do you feel about Sony discontinuing the 20GB PS3 in NAmerica?

Rebon

Master Poster
Dec 8, 2003
www.psu.com
Hi All,

So, what are thoughts? Is discontinuing the 20GB PS3 in North America a good move? Do you care?

Cast your vote and leave your thoughts -- results will go on the PSU homepage.

Thanks!

Rebon

Silas

Forum Elder
Dec 19, 2005
This is a step forward.
Having a 9:1 ratio towards demand for the 60gig version is surely a sign of the consumers thoughts.
Good move Sony.

G

GS kid

Well I thought it was complete and utter BS! I was gonna get the 20GB when it hit $400, but now I will have to wait even longer since the 60GB won't hit that price point for awhile.

I'm one of those people that says I don't care about built-in wireless, don't care about the flash slots and and don't even really care about the 60GB hard drive. That's why I wanted the 20GB model.

I think this was a mistake by Sony cuz it will take even longer for the PS3 to get to a price casual and mainstream gamers are willing to pay. :???:

Tetsu

Forum Guru
May 6, 2006
Having one unit will make it easier to come up with a price cut.

Of course... having one with no hard drive at all, letting us install one the size we want, that would be a great second SKU... hrm...

Danny Dan

Superior Member
Oct 20, 2006
I remember saying a while ago...

1. Scrap the 20gb, break even on the 60gb by this fall...
2. Then release MGS4 in October, and Killzone 2 in November...
3. Price drop the 60gb to $449.99 at fall and 07 Xmas is Sony's...

I guess number 1 is checked!

Cyrann

Master Guru
Oct 2, 2006
I knew I was getting a 60GB since the day it was announced, I was indifferent about the whole 20GB situation and I just hope that if someone needs to get a 20GB replaced that they aren't just out of luck!

Tetsu

Forum Guru
May 6, 2006
[QUOTE="GS kid, post: 0]I think this was a mistake by Sony cuz it will take even longer for the PS3 to get to a price casual and mainstream gamers are willing to pay. :???:[/quote]
I thought you 360 peeps thought the PS3 was WAY too expensive even at $500. ;)

Silas

Forum Elder
Dec 19, 2005
[QUOTE="Danny Dan, post: 0]I remember saying a while ago...

1. Scrap the 20gb, break even on the 60gb by this fall...
2. Then release MGS4 in October, and Killzone 2 in November...
3. Price drop the 60gb to $449.99 at fall and 07 Xmas is Sony's...

I guess number 1 is checked![/QUOTE]

I'm praying for number 2 to be checked aswell.
Birthday in November that'd be perfect for me.
GTA, MGS and Killzone.

Danny Dan

Superior Member
Oct 20, 2006
[QUOTE="GS kid, post: 0]Well I thought it was complete and utter BS! I was gonna get the 20GB when it hit $400, but now I will have to wait even longer since the 60GB won't hit that price point for awhile.

I'm one of those people that says I don't care about built-in wireless, don't care about the flash slots and and don't even really care about the 60GB hard drive. That's why I wanted the 20GB model.

I think this was a mistake by Sony cuz it will take even longer for the PS3 to get to a price casual and mainstream gamers are willing to pay. :???:[/quote]

Getting rid of the 20gb is the better choice overall. It allows for only one machine to promote, and definitely supplies to worry about. A price drop could be better handled with just the 60gb rather worrying about 2. You might see a faster price drop on the 60gb alone then with both on the market.

Would you buy a 60gb if it retailed at $449.99??

M

mastershake86

I have a ps3 it's the 60gig, but regardless if it was the 20gig I own one as most in these forums do so now I don't care. I was goin 60gig unless I had to get a 20 tho.

Aug 26, 2005
Hey guys, every vote helps make this poll more Legit. As soon as we get a good amount of votes, we'll put it up on PSU.

Plus, you guys will help me get paid ;)

Come on. Vote!

Sep 5, 2006
For me personally, it makes no difference, as I myself purchased a 60 gig a while ago. From the outside looking in...I think the decision was both good and bad, hence, neutrality on my part.

Good in that there's now one common SKU and it's the better version. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 20GB itself, it's just that the 60 has more features and more memory, simple as that.

Bad for those that were working toward a 20GB for whatever reason, whether that be they didn't value/already had flash card readers and wireless access, or they felt it a better deal to save $100.00 and use it to getting a 100GB or more HDD.

Again, from the outward perspective, I think the good and bad more or less cancel one another out. Obviously though, if you yourself had any of the intents noted above, you'll probably think it's bad or good depending on your stance. From my (neutral) perspective though, it doesn't matter.

sweetvar26

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
[QUOTE="Silas, post: 0]I'm praying for number 2 to be checked aswell.
Birthday in November that'd be perfect for me.
GTA, MGS and Killzone.[/quote]

i dunno about MGS4 in october cuz of all the GTA4 hype...Nov 17th - Killzone might be the date...exactly after a year celebrating PS3's 1st b'day....

lets see...

Nov 28, 2006
for me any ways (I'm 23 and have a respectable job of my own) the price difference between the 20 gb and the 60 gb was too close. It was far more worth it for me to get the 60 over the 20. and I feel that most people who buy or plan to buy the ps3 feel the same way...

but that doesn't make the ps3 for everyone. the problem with it is that the target consumer may be too narrow. for example (at least in my opinion) the ps3 is directly build for the consumer who wants "all of it" that means they are probably either tech geeks or audio/video junkies (of which I place myself in both categories)

so to me the removal of the 20 gb model is a step forward, and I think Sony needs to think even bigger/better then they have already...

DB713

Superior Member
Mar 18, 2007
www.huntingridgemotors.com
Frankly from a business standpoint I never quite understood their reasoning for having two versions to begin with. It's understandable when the price margin is greater than $100.00 but when your buying a $500.00 system honestly whats the difference in spending the extra hundred. I can't imagine the people who would of paid 500 wouldn't have paid 600 if it was the only one available. It's not like one system was $250.00 and the other $600.00. Seriously it wasn't a great business move from the beginning once you reach a certain price threshold in electronics having two basically exact products separated by such a small margin isn't going to benefit the company. Of course this is a business perspective. I know as the consumer saving that $100.00 is huge.

Danny Dan

Superior Member
Oct 20, 2006
[QUOTE="sweetvar26, post: 0]i dunno about MGS4 in october cuz of all the GTA4 hype...Nov 17th - Killzone might be the date...exactly after a year celebrating PS3's 1st b'day....

lets see...[/quote]

Dam, I totally forgot about GTA4 been released in Oct 16... Hmm... I say September then for MGS4! and Killzone early Nov. Then Sony advertises MGS4 + GTA4 ... just like MS will be doing with Halo 3 + GTA..

G

GS kid

[QUOTE="Danny Dan, post: 0]Getting rid of the 20gb is the better choice overall. It allows for only one machine to promote, and definitely supplies to worry about. A price drop could be better handled with just the 60gb rather worrying about 2. You might see a faster price drop on the 60gb alone then with both on the market.

Would you buy a 60gb if it retailed at $449.99??[/QUOTE]

I said I won't buy a PS3 until it hits $400 and this announcement changes nothing. I may have looked at it differently if I didn't already own a 360. But I do own a 360 and therefore I stand firm.

Of course if Sony realesed a SKU with the BJ attachment, I'd pay $600 for that! :lol: ;)

J

jakncoke

I think its better for them cut it , that way they can concentrate on getting the 60GB profitable or close to profitable so they can cut the price so more ppl buy it and devs give the Ps3 more games.

Jan 2, 2007
anyone with a 20 gig ps3 that would like a restored 60 gig hdd....its been reformated to the original settings after i exchanged the internal hdd. leme know....

ConteZero

Apprentice
Mar 23, 2007
It's a wise decision; it will hurt a little but pay back in the future.

PS: About the "60Gb without HDD" thing... that's a good idea.

G

GS kid

[QUOTE="Doc Evils, post: 0]They should of had 1 SKU. it confuses the customer.[/QUOTE]

You mean the same consumer that seems to be able to choose between a dozen or so configs of iPods? How about the few dozen configs of computers or cell phones people seem to be able to decide between every year with no problem? And don't get me started on models of cars.

The truth is.....in this day and age when both kids and parents have grown up with home computers and home videogame consoles for years and know the differences....... it's a given that most have a grasp of disk size and if it has built-in Wi-Fi and flash slots or not!

All they have to know for sure is that no matter which one they get, it's gonna have HDMI ouput and they both will be able to play the same games in the same way. :???:

Nov 24, 2005
www.myspace.com
abit dumb, the 20 gig model would have been at a perfect price point when the consoles fell in price (just look at the 360 core unit now, £150ish with gears of war)

alas i was thinking of buying the cheaper 20 gig model
but seeing i live in UK
that might still happen?

Aug 26, 2005
I voted for Great. I felt there should have only been 1 SKU, Nintendo was the only one to get it right on launch. Absolutely 0 chance of customer confusion.

Sep 12, 2005
[QUOTE="GS kid, post: 0]You mean the same consumer that seems to be able to choose between a dozen or so configs of iPods? How about the few dozen configs of computers or cell phones people seem to be able to decide between every year with no problem? And don't get me started on models of cars.

The truth is.....in this day and age when both kids and parents have grown up with home computers and home videogame consoles for years and know the differences....... it's a given that most have a grasp of disk size and if it has built-in Wi-Fi and flash slots or not!

All they have to know for sure is that no matter which one they get, it's gonna have HDMI ouput and they both will be able to play the same games in the same way. :???:[/QUOTE]

The difference between iPods and consoles is that all iPod have the same output and features required to play music. Unlike some consoles.

So that comment is invalid.