Official UFC/MMA Thread

Uncool

Power Member
Aug 27, 2006
Come on he did not get robbed now. He got kneed way too much and got countered to often as well. And the hit confirmation from Lyoto was a lot higher, he landed a lot more shots and this isn't even a kicking match. If it was shogun would have won flat out.

IDK why everyone was whining about this, its a decision its not like a TKO. >_>

carlosb

Superior Member
Sep 19, 2007
Brownsville, TX
No, he didn't land more shots and most every shot landed Shogun had an elbow or hand to deflect it. And when did Shogun get kneed too much? I only remember that small flurry in round one where most didn't hit cleanly and one to Shogun's ribs. Shogun landed cleaner and harder shots to Machida. Shogun beat Machida in his own style.

Uncool

Power Member
Aug 27, 2006
1st round he got hit with numerous knees. You cannot say a knee doesn't hit cleanly because the momentum of each whether its blocked or not passes through each time. Given that the more barriers you have the less impact it has, its nonetheless damaging to get knee in any sense.

The main reason its actually controversial is not because of the judges decision but of one actual judge: Cecil Peoples.

carlosb

Superior Member
Sep 19, 2007
Brownsville, TX
Well, either way I had it 3-2 Shogun (1 3 for Machida 2,4,5 Shogun). And the reason it's controversial is because many(overwhelming majority in many places even many Machida fans) think Shogun won so yes it's based on the judges decision. Having Cecil Peoples there just legitimizes the claim that Shogun was robbed.

Machida answer to Rogan's question even sounds like Machida doesn't think he won the fight.

Uncool

Power Member
Aug 27, 2006
[QUOTE="carlosb, post: 0]Well, either way I had it 3-2 Shogun (1 3 for Machida 2,4,5 Shogun). And the reason it's controversial is because many(overwhelming majority in many places even many Machida fans) think Shogun won so yes it's based on the judges decision. Having Cecil Peoples there just legitimizes the claim that Shogun was robbed.

Machida answer to Rogan's question even sounds like Machida doesn't think he won the fight.[/quote]

It actually at best should have been a draw but with Cecil there, its guaranteed to be controversial. That guy as been in the front lines for making BS judge calls because lets face it, someone has to do it when its a AAA-fight.

carlosb

Superior Member
Sep 19, 2007
Brownsville, TX
I don't know about a draw. It terms of action yeah maybe, but it's a Machida fight what do you expect? It's going to be slow and methodical. But when you out-strike somebody 3-1 in a round you can't call it a draw just because it is slow. I rewatched the fight and I actually have it 4-1 Shogun (rds 2,3,4,5).

All in all it was a good fight. As for UFC 104, I have to watch a the other fights since along with the main event I only had the chance to watch Cain vs. Rothwell and the fights on Spike. The fight was stopped a bit early kinda lol. It just wasn't that clear if Rothwell was alright until like the fourth punch when he finally made his way up so it was kinda early in a way. Although, it was amazing how Cain was able to manhandle somebody that was about 30 lbs heavier than him.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
Spoiled cus I have DREAM info in it as well.
Did you guys notice that Cecil wasn't even paying attention during the Cain vs Rothwell fight. He's horrible. Yeah I agree that Shogun got robbed. He won it. It's good to hear that Dana wants to see a rematch. Both guys are awesome fighters tho. Other than that, Cain is awesome. Anthony Johnson is on the right track to becoming a great fighter. (Yes I know that fight was catchweight).
DREAM12 was a pretty decent card as well. Alvarez vs Kikuno was excellent. Marius vs Myeon was great as well, so was Sakuraba's. I was expecting however Overeem killing Thompson, but looks like Thompson gets to live another day (hehe). Also [email protected] Thompson singing to Overeem's entrance music!

[QUOTE="Uncool, post: 0]Come on he did not get robbed now. He ....[/quote]
Taylor, Taylor I'm really happy for you and I'm a let you finish but Shogun got robbed.
Too Soon?

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
Shogun didnt get robbed, to hell with him. dunno how he got a title shot after losing his 1st fight, being injured for ages, then beating 2 grandads!
He was the challenger, he shouldve pushed the fight instead of leg kicking his way to a loss. Anyways, looks like DW is gonna make them fight again ASAP

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
Plain and simple Sho-Gun won that fight if you soberly watched that fight and think Lyoto won the decision you're fooling yourself. Just re-watched online and will always be the same Sho-gun wins 3 of 5.

I predict a rematch soon.....probably sooner that later.

carlosb

Superior Member
Sep 19, 2007
Brownsville, TX
[QUOTE="three3-times, post: 0]Shogun didnt get robbed, to hell with him. dunno how he got a title shot after losing his 1st fight, being injured for ages, then beating 2 grandads!
He was the challenger, he shouldve pushed the fight instead of leg kicking his way to a loss. Anyways, looks like DW is gonna make them fight again ASAP[/quote]

He was aggressive just not reckless. And Machida is the champ he should defend his belt aggressively and push the fight so basically they both have to be aggressive.

Yeah I heard about the rematch, and I can't wait.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
Ok so ive wacthed it again and again AND THERE IS NO WAY IN THE BLUE HELL THAT RUA WAS ROBBED! Id give rua round 5 CLEARLY and maybe, MAYBE at a push round 2. but other than that, NO!!!!
Was it me or did machida look really gassed by round 2????

aLterBridge

Superior Member
Feb 27, 2009
You have to take into consideration that the judges sitting "ring-side" didn't have any biased Rogan commentary (as much as I love the guy, he was biased), plus they would have seen the fight at a different angle to the rest of us. I can see how the fight went machidas way from the judges perspective, but it was shoguns win imo. I wouldn't have been suprised at a draw though, but this definately WAS NOT a Robbery.

Blu-Ray

Elite Sage
Jul 9, 2006
I just finished watching that match. Shogun won, hands down. Although he didnt dominate, he clearly won the majority of those rounds, if not 4 out of 5 of them. The only reason advantage I saw from Machida was his take down defense, which was awesome during the fight. I'm saying this as a huge Machida fan.... but Shogun got ROBBED.

aLterBridge

Superior Member
Feb 27, 2009
[QUOTE="carlosb, post: 0]The fans there didn't have Rogan's commentary either, and they pretty much agreed Shogun won.[/quote]

yes but they can't see the action as clearly as us at home, machida's strikes although not consistent, they were effective, yet they were fairly discreet. I still have shogun as winning 3 rounds and machida winning 2, but shogun definately didnt get robbed, if you listen to some of sherdog.com 's recent ufc 104 radio discussion shows they really put it perfectly

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="carlosb, post: 0]Fedor vs Rodgers is this Saturday. I haven't looked at the rest of the card, but it's free so I'll probably watch it.[/quote]
Yeah free on CBS (In the U.S.). Card will include Jake Shields vs Jason Miller, Mousasi vs Sokoudjou (non title fight), and Werdum vs Antonio Silva.
Looks like a good card, UFC is scared they put up a best of UFC from the past events on Spike to counter it. UFC 105 is the week after that.
Updated the OP with upcoming events.

carlosb

Superior Member
Sep 19, 2007
Brownsville, TX
I don't know if they are scared though, but maybe they should be. It's a good chance for Strikeforce to build some brand loyalty with people that have not seen MMA before.

Oh, and have you heard Cain vs Nogueira at UFC 108, possibly?

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="carlosb, post: 0]I don't know if they are scared though, but maybe they should be. It's a good chance for Strikeforce to build some brand loyalty with people that have not seen MMA before.

Oh, and have you heard Cain vs Nogueira at UFC 108, possibly?[/quote]
Yeah I heard about it. Not sure if it's official, But in all honestly it sounds like the right setup. It's really great Brock is "sick" or "knee injury", looks like he is trying to pull a Tito and become the longest reigning champion holder. Oh well. I feel bad for Carwin tho. Hes gonna have to keep training with less motivation as time wears on.

As for the UFC thing, They are putting a big highlight of some fights to counter it. Next week is 105. If they weren't afraid they would put 105 against Strikeforce. But they know 105 isn't that strong plus they don't know how well Strikeforce will do either. It's very shaky.

[EDIT]:
It looks like the UFC is taking major hits with fighters getting sick. Nog has a staph infection. Brock is seriously ill and is out 'indefinitely'. Looks like Carwin had knee surgery. The HW division took some massive blows 3 fighters is a huge deal to an already slim division.

UFC 105 was decent not much to discuss. Hardy vs GSP should be ok, but GSP should win it without a problem.

Other then that Tito looks like he is in great shape. I'm thinking he will beat Griffin in 1-2 rounds.

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
UFC 105 was descent nothing to brag about that fight card maybe except for a few things. I like Randy but he really needs to retire sooner than later. For his age he can really still bring it but he really looks like he's on his last draw.

Uncool

Power Member
Aug 27, 2006
Not even close. To continue doing his thing is incredible and its absurd to think he's on his last draw when he's stamina is so good he puts even the younger folks to work. The age excuse is for people that are just tired of him winning.

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
[QUOTE="Uncool, post: 0]Not even close. To continue doing his thing is incredible and its absurd to think he's on his last draw when he's stamina is so good he puts even the younger folks to work. The age excuse is for people that are just tired of him winning.[/quote]

Im sorry, but in my opinion he didnt do anyhting but pin Vera agaisnt the cage and consistantly try to take him down. Most of his strikes looked in slow-motion and at this point in his carrer he has slowed down tremendously. I give the guy alot of credit and never will doubted him becuase of his age and not an excuse in my part.

I think Randy didnt win that fight Vera just lost it.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah CarlosB, Brock is really ill with some intestinal thing. It's really unfortunate and really puts a sour face on the UFC. They've been dissing Fedor and now their champ is sick and might not fight for a long while.

RVCA and Clinch Gear are now banned from UFC. Wonder who is gonna sponsor BJ Penn now. Looks like Dan Henderson is really souring the relations with UFC. IMO it looks like Dan is sour about not getting a direct Title shot and an unrealistic amount of money. The thing is he's gonna retire in a few year's if he's not in the UFC he basically lessens his legacy. This is just my opinion and speculation, who knows what goes behind closed doors. If Dan wants to increase his stock he's gonna have to settle in and get the belt from Silva (no matter if its 1-2 fights away). Once and if that happens then he can ask for more money. Doing it when he's not "hot" to the casual fans is pointless.

Also Belfort is fighting but it's now uncertain if Silva will be fighting him. UFC is really in a **** storm. This is prime time for Strikeforce to strike. Sadly ShoMMA 5 looks like poop and Evolution looks meh as well. Talk about striking when the iron is hot........ Makes you wonder how strong Strikeforce will be when UFC is back in full force. What I'm trying to say is Strikeforce hopefully did well with Fedor vs Rogers so they should keep the attention going while the UFC is fumbling. BJ Penn vs Sanchez should be good tho in December.

carlosb

Superior Member
Sep 19, 2007
Brownsville, TX
Yeah right now would be a good time for Strikeforce to get some more fans. What's the status of Liddell's contract with the UFC? If Dana White doesn't want him to fight, Strikeforce could use him, and Chuck could also be sent off with a win.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="carlosb, post: 0]Yeah right now would be a good time for Strikeforce to get some more fans. What's the status of Liddell's contract with the UFC? If Dana White doesn't want him to fight, Strikeforce could use him, and Chuck could also be sent off with a win.[/quote]

No chance of that happening. He is still under contract with UFC. There are still talks between him and Dana on if he can fight again.... Most likely no but........ You also have to remember Liddell and Dana are good friends. Dana managed both Liddell and Tito before he became UFC president.

Uncool

Power Member
Aug 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Gran Patron', post: 0]Im sorry, but in my opinion he didnt do anyhting but pin Vera agaisnt the cage and consistantly try to take him down. Most of his strikes looked in slow-motion and at this point in his carrer he has slowed down tremendously. I give the guy alot of credit and never will doubted him becuase of his age and not an excuse in my part.

I think Randy didnt win that fight Vera just lost it.[/quote]
A lot of people viewed that fight and definitively Couture won it. He had octagon control and the one time Vera hurt randy bad with a body shot did not finish him. He stopped Vera from punishing him with his Muay Thai kick's. Vera should have done more but wasn't able to and he lost fairly in that fight.

[QUOTE="Alastor Mused, post: 0]No chance of that happening. He is still under contract with UFC. There are still talks between him and Dana on if he can fight again.... Most likely no but........ You also have to remember Liddell and Dana are good friends. Dana managed both Liddell and Tito before he became UFC president.[/quote]

Not sure if he has 2-3 fights left in him. I want to see him get a rematch with rashad but I doubt that will happen. I find out though Cro cop is coming back in UFC 110 so thats good.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Uncool, post: 0]Not sure if he has 2-3 fights left in him. I want to see him get a rematch with rashad but I doubt that will happen. I find out though Cro cop is coming back in UFC 110 so thats good.[/quote]

I don't want to see a Liddell vs anyone to be honest. He's just out of "it" and he's become too predictable to other fighters. Rashad would beat him easily anyway. Cro Cop still has fans? I loved Cro Cop when he was in PRIDE, but now he's shown time and time again he can't compete. His last fight was pathetic. Don't be surprised if UFC cuts him if he loses his next fight. He's fighting Ben Rothwell.. I don't know, I want Cro Cop to win, I really do, but sigh.. *shakes head* It's so hard to believe in Cro Cop again.