Official UFC/MMA Thread

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
So anyone else excited about the Tito VS Griffin fight? Only a couple of days to go now. I'm hoping that Ortiz is back to 100%. Would love to see him step back in the octagon and annihilate Forrest. I think this stint in his carrer will be the most important as it will determine wether he is remember as a true MMA legend or just some punk who knows how to run his mouth.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="richie217, post: 0]So anyone else excited about the Tito VS Griffin fight? Only a couple of days to go now. I'm hoping that Ortiz is back to 100%. Would love to see him step back in the octagon and annihilate Forrest. I think this stint in his carrer will be the most important as it will determine wether he is remember as a true MMA legend or just some punk who knows how to run his mouth.[/quote]

Yeah I agree I would love to see Tito go full force. Yeah I agree with that as well, Tito does need to prove himself in a way. If he can't destroy Forrest he's gonna continue to look like a big talker. Overall the the card looks meh. I know little Nog is gonna fight and Anthony Johnson will as well.

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
I was a bit surprised about the decision for Griffin but Tito didnt do diddly squat in the 3rd round. Surely he was gassed and he took the third round like he had the 1st and 2nd rounds in the bag. Doin' nothing in 3rd came back and bit him on the ***.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Gran Patron', post: 0]I was a bit surprised about the decision for Griffin but Tito didnt do diddly squat in the 3rd round. Surely he was gassed and he took the third round like he had the 1st and 2nd rounds in the bag. Doin' nothing in 3rd came back and bit him on the ***.[/quote]
I don't think he was gassed, he was just waiting for Griffin to be predictable again so he could take him down, but Forrest just controlled the 3rd round by not dropping too many kicks. Tito was too dependent on take-downs in the 3rd and when Forrest defended the few he tried it was all over. If Tito had took him down and ground and pounded him he would have won tho. Don't forget Tito was training for Coleman at first.

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
Yeah, that's true. If Tito would've at least scored a takedown in the third he could've gotten the decision. Man,I was hoping Rumble Johnson would KTFO out of Koscheck I really dont like that guy. I give KOS props though he really has improved as an all around fighter. Cant wait to see KOS vs GSP if GSP can get through Hardy, witch he should be able to do.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Gran Patron', post: 0]Yeah, that's true. If Tito would've at least scored a takedown in the third he could've gotten the decision. Man,I was hoping Rumble Johnson would KTFO out of Koscheck I really dont like that guy. I give KOS props though he really has improved as an all around fighter. Cant wait to see KOS vs GSP if GSP can get through Hardy, witch he should be able to do.[/quote]
Same! I was shocked Koscheck won. Really thought Johnson would over power him. Yeah GSP vs Koscheck would be good, especially since Koscheck has improved so much since he started.

Poida

Elite Member
Mar 22, 2007
Cant believe Koscheck got away with poking in the eye deliberately, well thats the impression he gave me when he did that. Total ********.
Im stoked that Amir, Forrest, Kendell and George won.
George I am a fan of, great all round game and he is an Aussie too :D

Firefox

Master Sage
Jan 7, 2006
Canada
I think commentary for these fights are bad..too often I see "fans" claiming someone got robbed based on commentary (which really sways perception)...if you want to judge a fight again, watch without commentary.

(I am more than a month late but I was referring to the Rua vs. Machida fight as well)

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
I think Joe Rogan is all right. He brings the technically part of it and Goldberg can be annoying most of times. I think they need to add one more to the mix, maybe Couture or El Guapo. It better not be Mir he's an arrogant ***** hope Kongo bashes that guy.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Poida, post: 0]Cant believe Koscheck got away with poking in the eye deliberately, well thats the impression he gave me when he did that. Total ********.
Im stoked that Amir, Forrest, Kendell and George won.
George I am a fan of, great all round game and he is an Aussie too :D[/quote]

Yeah George is legit. Hope he has a good UFC career. Koscheck still beat him in the end. I would like a rematch later tho. I honestly had my money on Johnson before the fight started.

Edit: Looks like Rampage will be back to fight in 2010. I'm not surprised, that lasted what? 1 month.... Looks like he will be fighting Rashad (unconfirmed).

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
[QUOTE="Alastor Mused, post: 0]
Edit: Looks like Rampage will be back to fight in 2010. I'm not surprised, that lasted what? 1 month.... Looks like he will be fighting Rashad (unconfirmed).[/quote]

I had a feeling Ramp wasnt going anywhere. His acting is terrible! Supposely he'll be fighting the winner out of Silva vs Evans in spring time.

The TUF 10 finale was ok, Cant believe Kimbo and Houston ran out gas so bad. Looks like they both expected to knock each other out and forgot to train on their cardio.

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
LOL, just read on that Lidell & Tito will be hosting the next seaon of The Ultimate Fighter. SO much for a dancing career Chuck ;)

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="richie217, post: 0]LOL, just read on that Lidell & Tito will be hosting the next seaon of The Ultimate Fighter. SO much for a dancing career Chuck ;)[/quote]
lol... Well I'm not surprised Liddell got bored and wanted to get back into the action. He was a pretty good coach and Tito as well. I really don't want to see him fight tho. Tito vs Liddell will be dull, Tito should win it easily (Sorry Chuck).

[QUOTE="Gran Patron', post: 4781590]I had a feeling Ramp wasnt going anywhere. His acting is terrible! Supposely he'll be fighting the winner out of Silva vs Evans in spring time.

The TUF 10 finale was ok, Cant believe Kimbo and Houston ran out gas so bad. Looks like they both expected to knock each other out and forgot to train on their cardio.[/quote]

Gassed? They did something to get gassed..... The fight showed us Houston can't roll with HW's, he should stick to LHW. The fight was catch weight which didn't really make it all that fair... Kimbo really showed us he can't do anything either tho. He had more weight, power, and he still did nothing but dance. Kimbo acted like a counter fighter... No one cares about him being a counter fighter. He just needs to go in there and brawl.. win or lose...
I feel bad for Jon Jones tho. He destroyed Hamill completely. It's unfortunate he slipped up and elbowed incorrectly. He's got a great mentality and is a strong force to reckon with.
I liked Marcus "Big Baby" Jones as well but he def needs to work on his standup.

Frank Edgar and the Jon Jones fight were the best.

Also Dan Henderson signed with StrikeForce. He's 39... unless he plans on fighting in his 40's it looks like he will retire in StrikeForce.... However Dan Henderson Vs Gegard Mousasi excites me (if it happens).

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Gran Patron', post: 0]Great!!!.....I like Dan Henderson, I wanted to see a rematch between him and A.Silva. He was in a roll, too. I dont get it why would he sign with strikeforce?? Makes no sense to me.[/quote]

In my opinion it sounds like Dan Henderson was trying to overrate himself. He tried to get a bigger contract than he was worth with the UFC. The only other aspect is a direct shot at Silva. But money seems the most important aspect to this deal. The weird thing is Strikeforce can't afford the payouts UFC does, at least that's the assumption. I would love to know how much the contract is worth but that's never gonna happen. What really sucks is there's a chance he could retire (based on his age) and retiring in Strikeforce is kinda meh. Even if he gets a title belt who really cares.... Strikeforce championship belts just aren't as impressive as a UFC ones. Oh well, Best of luck to him.

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
[QUOTE="Alastor Mused, post: 0]Tito vs Liddell will be dull, Tito should win it easily (Sorry Chuck).
[/quote]

You think so? While I agree the fight will be dull I just don't see Chuck losing to Tito. Even though Lidell has had some nasty loses since their last fight I don't think Tito will be able to take him to the ground and if he tries standing with Chuck (again) it will just be a matter of time till he get's caught.

Penn Vs Sanchez, thoughts? I think Penn will come out on top but it should be an interesting fight.

Also think Mir will beat Kongo.

Poida

Elite Member
Mar 22, 2007
[QUOTE="Alastor Mused, post: 0]Yeah George is legit. Hope he has a good UFC career. Koscheck still beat him in the end. I would like a rematch later tho. I honestly had my money on Johnson before the fight started.

Edit: Looks like Rampage will be back to fight in 2010. I'm not surprised, that lasted what? 1 month.... Looks like he will be fighting Rashad (unconfirmed).[/quote]
I dont know, I think George is not to be taken lightly, he could beat Koscheck, Josh wrestling has improved but its still a bit of a weak point in his game and George is very good on the ground too.

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
Yeah,I read Dana also came back with a lower offer for Dan after he was looking on a bigger contract. He mentioned if he wanted Dan Henderson he would've had'em already but wasnt worth it. But on a good side Hendo mentioned him a Fedor fight could be a possibility.

I like Penn over Diego and hope Kongo bashes Mir. For some reason I like Florian over Clay.

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Poida, post: 0]I dont know, I think George is not to be taken lightly, he could beat Koscheck, Josh wrestling has improved but its still a bit of a weak point in his game and George is very good on the ground too.[/quote]
George Sotiropoulos fought Jason Dent. Koscheck fought Anthony Johnson. George and Koscheck aren't in the same weight division. I think you misread my sentences.

[QUOTE="richie217, post: 0]You think so? While I agree the fight will be dull I just don't see Chuck losing to Tito. Even though Lidell has had some nasty loses since their last fight I don't think Tito will be able to take him to the ground and if he tries standing with Chuck (again) it will just be a matter of time till he get's caught.

Penn Vs Sanchez, thoughts? I think Penn will come out on top but it should be an interesting fight.

Also think Mir will beat Kongo.[/quote]

Chuck has a lot of ring rust tho.. from all that dancing as well... Chuck has become too predictable over the last 2 years really. We will see what happens... but I doubt it will be exciting unless someone gets a KO within the first minute.

Yeah Penn vs Sanchez will be a sick fight. I think Penn will win. Sanchez keeps talking that Penn doesn't have cardio. Penn's been training on his cardio; hes really in shape. Will be a great fight tho.

Yeah Mir will beat Kongo but will be fun. Kongo at least throws down. I still don't like Mir but I think he will submit Kongo.

I want Clay to win.

[QUOTE="Gran Patron', post: 0]Yeah,I read Dana also came back with a lower offer for Dan after he was looking on a bigger contract. He mentioned if he wanted Dan Henderson he would've had'em already but wasnt worth it. But on a good side Hendo mentioned him a Fedor fight could be a possibility.

I like Penn over Diego and hope Kongo bashes Mir. For some reason I like Florian over Clay.[/quote]

Fedor vs Hendo?? at a catch weight?? Ugh.. I love both fighters but that's kinda lame. Hendo is not a solid HW. Will be a 1 sided fight. :sad: Hendo vs Mousasi is a sweet match-up tho.

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
Yeah, he said it could maybe happend in a radio interview. He didnt mentioned any details but it's far from happening,at the moment. Mousasi vs Hendo could happend next year. I dont know though I like this Mousasi kid could be a bad match-up for Hendo.

After watching the UFC 107 countdown , I hope Kongo KO's Mir OUT COLD!!! His arrogance and pretensious intellectual approach makes me wanna HURL!!! And even more they call Mir a 2 time HW-champ I didnt now the interim belt actually counted unless the true champ was unable to compete and was stripped?? That feeds his ego even more. Just like Brock said that was a "make believe" belt that he held for a few months.

richie217

Power Overwhelming
Dec 10, 2008
[QUOTE="Gran Patron', post: 0]After watching the UFC 107 countdown , I hope Kongo KO's Mir OUT COLD!!! His arrogance and pretensious intellectual approach makes me wanna HURL!!! And even more they call Mir a 2 time HW-champ I didnt now the interim belt actually counted unless the true champ was unable to compete and was stripped?? That feeds his ego even more. Just like Brock said that was a "make believe" belt that he held for a few months.[/quote]

I honestly don't mind Mir, he can be a tad arrogant but a lot of fighters have the same mindset.

I agree though about the interim belt. They shouldn't even bother with them, think it is just a marketing gimmick used to put asses in seats. They should just wait for the champ to recover and defend or if the champ can not defend the title within 12months they should be stripped of it.

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
Good grief!!!! Even though I hate Mir........DAMN. KO'd Kongo with ease didnt see that coming at all. I dont know this new determined Mir looks alot more dangerous than the July Mir. If Brock gets healthy and holds the belt long enough to fight Mir again, I feel this time around it could be an angressive threat to beat Brock.

BJ Penn is the elite fighter @ 155 dont think anyone in that division can come close to beating him as of now. He's the Anderson Silva of the 155 divsion and made Diego look like an amatuer. Diego looked nowhere near as dominant has he did against Guida. That leg kicked Penn landed in the 4th open up that HUGE cut on Diego's forehead.

Who's next for Penn, I would wonder??

Alastor Mused

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2008
Crazy fight card. Mir is still a ***** but damn that was fast and clean. The punch wasn't that powerful but enough to get the job done. The submission was impressive tho.

BJ Penn dominated. It's safe to say his conditioning is not a factor anymore (wasn't a factor in his last fight and most of his 155 fights). He is the most naturally talented and dominate 155er.

The Florian vs Clay fight was good, It just sucks Clay didn't win but Ken Flo really shows he has talent.

Gran Patron'

Dedicated Member
Jun 26, 2008
Houston, TX, US of A
On to the next, man most fighters are dropping like flies from thier next fights. Most headlines I read are nothing but withdraws from such and such. That makes Dana scramble around just to put a decsent fight card together.

UFC 108 Silva vs Evans seems ok. I think Rashad might take this one, he might be going back to his wrestling approach his stand-up is kinda sketchy!!

Feb 2, 2009
Australia
[QUOTE="Gran Patron', post: 0]Good grief!!!! Even though I hate Mir........DAMN. KO'd Kongo with ease didnt see that coming at all. I dont know this new determined Mir looks alot more dangerous than the July Mir. If Brock gets healthy and holds the belt long enough to fight Mir again, I feel this time around it could be an angressive threat to beat Brock.

BJ Penn is the elite fighter @ 155 dont think anyone in that division can come close to beating him as of now. He's the Anderson Silva of the 155 divsion and made Diego look like an amatuer. Diego looked nowhere near as dominant has he did against Guida. That leg kicked Penn landed in the 4th open up that HUGE cut on Diego's forehead.

Who's next for Penn, I would wonder??[/quote]

Agreed and agreed.

Mir has really got his act together, and I am praying for a Mir vs. Lesnar III fight in the future.

As far as Penn goes, his next contenders lay outside the UFC: Shinya Aoki from Dream is the first that comes to mind (and that will never happen unless there is a buyout). I loved the Sanchez fight as it really showcased Penn's stand-up abilities, and that his condioning has dramitically improved. So glad Sanchez lost, had his "mean face" on since weigh in, and was quickly wiped off his face with a clean right some 30 seconds in. Love it.

Also, I can't help but laugh at this...because thats pretty much how the fight ended: