Official World Cup Thread - Germany World Cup Winners 2014

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
I read an article that they are changing Rooney to play centre behind Sturridge but Roy reckons even the players don't know what's going on tomorrow yet.

Mar 9, 2007
Blighttown
England fought well against Italy but I can't see anyone but Italy and France moving on to the quarters tbh... Tough group for england this time :(

Edit: My bad england's in the group with Uruguay and Costa Rica so there's still a chance if they win tonight.
Tapatalkin'

Last edited:

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="Sylar, post: 6351700]I read an article that they are changing Rooney to play centre behind Sturridge but Roy reckons even the players don't know what's going on tomorrow yet.[/QUOTE]

The main reason they started Rooney outside-left was to use Welbeck's pace and clinging ability to combat Pirlo centrally; Uruguay don't have the type of midfielder that effectively pulls all the strings so it's not completely warranted. In this case, Rooney's better central and if you're gonna use Welbeck's pace it's to be used on the wings.

Last edited:

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6351713]Spain's keeper is crap. Ochoa he is not[/QUOTE]

It's that sort of loyalty paradigm; do you stick with a tried-and-tested player, one who's won everything under you and who's a commanding presence in the team, or do you look at it more objectively? Fact is, Casillas has barely played a string of matches for Madrid this season and has been more error-prone than usual. There's an argument to be made that he shouldn't have started the World Cup.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6351715]Loyalty doesn't win world cups. And neither does letting in 7 goals in 2 matches.[/QUOTE]
Applies to anything really.

Too often, do we see too many coaches in too many sports fall under this trap.

Loyalty is great. But both [layer and coach MUST understand what is needed for the betterment of the team.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6351724]They should've used De Gea

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.[/QUOTE]

It's a tough one. You can't begrudge del Bosque for using Casillas in the first match - no-one foresaw that mauling. Perhaps the writing was on the wall for Casillas given his club form this season, but still. Second match, fair enough, but de Gea's injured. It would've had to have been Reina.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6351730]To be fair, the goal keeper is only as good as his defence. But he did make some atrocious decisions

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.[/QUOTE]

True, although Casillas' mistakes are his own doing sometimes - conducive with his lack of confidence in the defense perhaps. Puyol's retirement's quite pertinent, too. I've always maintained that while Pique's a great ball-playing defender and does have all the tools of the trade, his concentration and positional sense can be suspect, thus he needs a commanding presence (that Puyol was) to shout in his ear and marshal the shape of the defense. Now that he doesn't have that sort of person barking in his ear, he's more prone to lapses.

Jan 9, 2014
Wales
www.twitter.com
Spain were good in the qualifiers though and, well, in most games this past year. Think they drew with Chile and drew or lost to SA on that world tour of theirs. I don't think many would've foresaw this though.

You can understand the loyalty; it's a group of players that have won 3 major trophies in the past 6 years. No doubt about it though that Casillas shouldn't have started the second game after his horror show v Netherlands. Death of a great side and great players. Time to blood De Gea, Koke, Isco, Thiago, whilst they still have Busquests, Pedro, Mata and loads of others able to play on. Gulp.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="welshboymick, post: 6351893]Spain were good in the qualifiers though and, well, in most games this past year. Think they drew with Chile and drew or lost to SA on that world tour of theirs. I don't think many would've foresaw this though.

You can understand the loyalty; it's a group of players that have won 3 major trophies in the past 6 years. No doubt about it though that Casillas shouldn't have started the second game after his horror show v Netherlands. Death of a great side and great players. Time to blood De Gea, Koke, Isco, Thiago, whilst they still have Busquests, Pedro, Mata and loads of others able to play on. Gulp.[/QUOTE]

Atop of that most people consider them in that pantheon of great international teams, like 1970 Brazil and so on. It's understandable from that perspective.

Won't even try to call tonight's match - but if I had to, I'd give the slight edge to England. Just slight.

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
Im looking forward to see how they play tonight, and if Suarez is really as fit as they claim

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Costa Rica will be a hard team to beat and I just can't see England doing it, we just lack the killer instinct that some other teams just seem to have this tournament! You never know but I think we all really do......... :(

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="crazy_gooner, post: 6352119]England just don't have the balls to win when it matters.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Nail and head!! No killer instinct when it counts!