Official World Cup Thread - Germany World Cup Winners 2014

May 25, 2013
[QUOTE="Duffman1986, post: 6352125]Nail and head!! No killer instinct when it counts![/QUOTE]
definitely, I believe Wilshere and Barkley should start, England's future really.

Gerrard is past it, Wellbeck is just Wellbeck. I don't get how Gibbs is not England's left back, I'm not even being biased as a Gooner, he's the closest thing England have to Ashley Cole.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Yeah Gerrard had his time and Welbeck was never a prolific goal scorer but he has his moments! We have some good players but this World Cup just isn't their time to shine unfortunately!

May 25, 2013
[QUOTE="Duffman1986, post: 6352133]Yeah Gerrard had his time and Welbeck was never a prolific goal scorer but he has his moments! We have some good players but this World Cup just isn't their time to shine unfortunately![/QUOTE]
true, I actually believe the bigger problem is the government not investing more in grass roots football, the country is being left behind.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="crazy_gooner, post: 6352135]true, I actually believe the bigger problem is the government not investing more in grass roots football, the country is being left behind.[/QUOTE]

Its not a sport that can be measured well and improve upon easily. Who wins or looses can be down to poor decisions of any of 11 men if someone scores against your team, like the bounce off Gerrard's head that led to Suarez second goal tonight, you can't account for something like that to happen.
Also its not like the FA, clubs and players are short of a few bob either.

Cycling on the other hand, every aspect of it can be measured easily and can see where to improve. And if you are at a certain performance then its unlikely anyone else can touch you as proved in the Velodrome 2 years ago and at the Tour de France.

These results in the cycling came after a long slog of 20 years from Chris Boardman in 1992 winning gold at Barcelona Olympics on that Lotus bike. Then Britain's first indoor velodrome was opened in Manchester in 1994. 20 years later there about half a dozen indoor venues and loads of outdoor.

Last edited:

Surebrec

Forum Elder
Jan 2, 2008
Manchester. England
surebrec.co.uk
.... and that ladies and gentlemen, is why I could not get hyped up over this word cup.

they don't give a fuck, they earn more playing for club than they do for country. I get the feeling that for most of them, the world cup is nothing more than holiday away from the country.

england have pretty much been undone by 2 players in 2 games.

I can sum the rest of their collective performance as:

[video=youtube_share;bs-Q0JmWjj0]http://youtu.be/bs-Q0JmWjj0[/video]

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
They took too many touches on the ball as well and didnt pass fast enough which lets the other teams close in and put pressure on quickly, thats probably why they lose possession so much.

Im gonna support Mexico for the rest of the cup

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="Sylar, post: 6352318]They took too many touches on the ball as well and didnt pass fast enough which lets the other teams close in and put pressure on quickly, thats probably why they lose possession so much.

Im gonna support Mexico for the rest of the cup

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Why not jump on the Belgium hype train?

Cho-cho this traaaaain don't stop!

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="welshboymick, post: 6352338]Belgium? The hype train has surely been commandeered by Chile now![/QUOTE]

See... Chile are the hipster dark horse, Belgium have been so heavily-covered by the media as the 'dark horse' over the past six months that they're not able to be considered a dark horse anymore.

That being said, let's do this Iran!

Abdou23

Forum Elder
Sep 16, 2008
Egypt
The main reason why England is performing poorly is Hodgson. He is a very very shitty and clueless manager. I don't understand why no one is addressing this, it was a very poor decision to appoint him and a very poor one to keep him going till 2016. England have a group of a very good talented young player who by 2016 will be more matured and experienced, they will be too good to be wasted by a stupid manager.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
Now it's up to the Swiss to cause an upset and I think they can.

I looked up the odds for a Costa Rica/Switzerland double and it was over 30/1... madness.

Gers

Forum Sage
Jul 19, 2012
Scotland
Can't see past Germany winning it at the moment, although I hope Holland win it. Hope Chile and Costa Rica go pretty far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Colombia look good to be fair, reckon they could go quite far! Would be awesome to see some more giant killing performances that this World Cup seems to keep producing!