Ok, PS5 issues are starting to look worrisome

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
I know issues happen in every launch but this is different. There's been plenty of reports of PS5's ARTIFACTS, leading to data corruption and bricked console afterwards.

Evidence suggests it's related to the high clocks of the silicon (just like what happens with OCed Videocards in PC)

Now this kind of issue is very worrisome to me and I believe it's worth sharing after seeing a bunch of reports everywhere. And yes, it happens with every game.

More Artifacts:

https://streamable.com/tt5kzy

https://twitter.com/i/status/1327111449538424833

https://twitter.com/i/status/1328329107889938434

Last edited:

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Do the same post for Xbox series x
I have only bought a PS5, not a XSX. Why should I do that?

And also, I've seen reports about XSX but they're random. On PS5 side, there's a very worrying pattern: ARTIFACTS -> Bricked console.

I've avoided other issues like the massive game glitches, disk drive sounds and others as I consider them part of the error margin of any console and software can be patched.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
I have only bought a PS5, not a XSX. Why should I do that?

And also, I've seen reports about XSX but they're random. On PS5 side, there's a very worrying pattern: ARTIFACTS -> Bricked console.

I've avoided other issues like the massive game glitches, disk drive sounds and others as I consider them part of the error margin of any console.
I have seen many issues in twitter for series x and some for Ps5.Its kind of surprising tho that you bought a Ps5 1st!!I usually try to avoid the 1st bunch...Even tho i had no issues at all with my Ps3.

PS:I have already order my PS5,but its unsure when i will have it.Most likely next year...

Last edited:

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
I have seen many issues in twitter for series x and some for Ps5.
It depends who your contacts are, but there have been a lot of scams regarding XSX, like the smoke coming out of it, which was VAPE. I think only 1 was real. What is worrisome here, is the pattern (artifacts) and also the number of reports on PS5.

Its kind of surprising tho that you bought a Ps5 1st
I've just upgraded my gamming PC so it's a high end rig now, plus I have Game Pass Ultimate so a XSX would've been kinda redundant, I will probably buy a Series S when I sell the One X that is in the living room.

BTW, my delivery estimate for the PS5 is mid December. I sold my PS4 Pro as well.

Sep 10, 2005
It depends who your contacts are, but there have been a lot of scams regarding XSX, like the smoke coming out of it, which was VAPE. I think only 1 was real. What is worrisome here, is the pattern (artifacts) and also the number of reports on PS5.

I've just upgraded my gamming PC so it's a high end rig now, plus I have Game Pass Ultimate so a XSX would've been kinda redundant, I will probably buy a Series S when I sell the One X that is in the living room.

BTW, my delivery estimate for the PS5 is mid December. I sold my PS4 Pro as well.
I know about the vape scums,they were too obvious...The artifacts should usually be a faulty GPU.But even if it happens,they will give a new one.I wish it wont tho.

I also sold my pro some days ago,i was thinking to keep it,but seeing that most of the games are playable on Ps5,i decided to let it go.My delivery for PS5 is unknown....Everything is sold out and i think it goes beyond the new year..Except if they cancel some and i get lucky.

A similar issue with series x

Last edited:

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
A similar issue with series x
I bet there are. I wouldn't have posted this if I saw just some isolated cases, but every time I get into Twitter, I see new reports of PS5s with artifacts:

Key is, artifacts are usually related to high clock speeds, which is present on PS5 not XSX. This is a risk you take when you take that path hence the liquid metal. REALLY Hope this is not endemic to the console.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
I bet there are, but every time I get into Twitter, I see new reports of PS5s with artifacts:

Key is, artifacts are usually related to high clock speeds, which is present on PS5 not XSX.

Hope this is not endemic to the console.
Well the clock speed are not out of specs so no it wont be.Faulty chips are bound to happen at start.Artifacts can also be caused by faulty ram.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Well the clock speed are not out of specs so no it wont be
We're way beyond theory now. These are real, numerous cases we're talking about. They didn't use Liquid Metal + huge heatsink for nothing.

Again, not saying it's an endemic issue, but since every day I'm seeing multiple similar new cases, I decided to share it.

Sep 10, 2005
We're way beyond theory now. These are real, numerous cases we're talking about. They didn't use Liquid Metal + huge heatsink for nothing.

Again, not saying it's an endemic issue, but since every day I'm seeing multiple similar new cases, I decided to share it.
Not talking about theory either,we already know that its not out of specs from AMD cards.Its happening and it can be a fault GPU/Ram or even software...Its not only the GPU that can cause that kind of problems.Just do a search in google and you will easily see.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
either,we already know that its not out of specs from AMD
Those are PC Videocards. Different world and physical conditions. Aside from that, GPUs don't need to be out of spec to overheat and show artifacts (and die in the end) That can happen for a number of reasons. The presence of Liquid Metal + XL heatsink is an indicator that they're dealing with pretty challenging heat.

Again, I'm not willing to turn this into a "spec" conversation. We're way beyond that. Consoles are overheating and dying whether they're or not "on specs" is pretty much irrelevant.

The real question here is how common this is.

Sep 10, 2005
Those are PC Videocards. Different world and physical conditions. Aside from that, GPUs don't need to be out of spec to overheat and show artifacts (and die in the end) That can happen for a number of reasons. The presence of Liquid Metal + XL heatsink is an indicator that they're dealing with pretty challenging heat.

Again, I'm not willing to turn this into a "spec" conversation. We're way beyond that. Consoles are overheating and dying whether they're or not "on specs" is pretty much irrelevant.

The real question here is how common this is.
Again,there are more than one thing that can cause artifacts.We DONT yet know what is the cause.It can be hardware or NOT.We will learn more about it soon.If series x didnt had a vapor chamber it would have as big a heatsink also.

PS:I hope that Sony will address the problem soon,before our systems arrive.If its a software issues that is.

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Both are having launch problems. There's still stock problems on top of the bugs and fixes as well as many other issues. I can wait I'm in no hurry to go next generation. Support for this generation is still going to be around for a while.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Well at least now we know why sony didn't send many ps5's out to be tested before launch.;) But on the serious side this should of been expected with these new consoles. I have heard problems are more common with the ps5 though. I was omly able to secure one series x at launch and my son has that one. Its still working like a charm, "knock on wood". Im gonna wait til next year since the majority of the games can be played on my one x. Those high clocks could be causing some issues with PS5.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Fun facts (just grabbing the ones i come across from the bottom of the page first):

Key is, artifacts are usually related to high clock speeds, which is present on PS5 not XSX. This is a risk you take when you take that path hence the liquid metal. REALLY Hope this is not endemic to the console.
These are usually issues with the memory.

Whereas:
These are usually issues with the core.

With the core, it can be a case of not enough voltage. The presence of artifacts from the core does not inherently indicate death. Increasing voltage, or decreasing clocks, fixes this. Bad silicon also leads to this, because regardless of how much voltage you pump into bad silicon, you get balls out of it.
With memory, it's usually death, regardless of voltage, if you see issues like this. But it depends on what exactly the issue is.

Both can also be due to poor drivers (tho unlikely). Ask any 5700[xt] owner and you'll know all to well.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Uhmm... second console getting that Black Mark out of burnout:

This was the first one.

I agree, but we're basically talking DOAs here. We'll need to see how it develops with time. I remember the 360s having RROD many months after launch.
Yeah, but this is nowhere near the 360 RROD problem, so there's no need to get worried yet. It's way less than 1% of the units that have some kind of serious problem.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Yeah, but this is nowhere near the 360 RROD problem,
Oh of course. RROD was a total disaster. I don't think any other device will ever suffer such a massive failure. I'm just taking it as a reference for the time it took for those problems to show up vs. these showing up pretty soon.

Still not enough to be worried about but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
Oh of course. RROD was a total disaster. I don't think any other device will ever suffer such a massive failure. I'm just taking it as a reference for the time it took for those problems to show up vs. these showing up pretty soon.

Still not enough to be worried about but definitely something to keep an eye on.
Yeah, but it's not looking worrisome as your title says. That's really grasping at straws.

Sep 10, 2005
So, this Youtuber who already had issues with the PS5, reported that the console Died after 5 hours of streaming.

I will stress mine when it arrives. I'm already worried.

It seems that his 1st Ps5 was not dying.He had the sticker problem that comes lose form heat and blocking the fan.Now he said his 2nd also died ,but not sure how or what happened.The 1st one wasn't dead tho,he could easily fix it.Also this guy is a drama queen....its so hard to watch his streams.

https://screenrant.com/loud-ps5-fan-noise-coil-whine-sticker/

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
GamersNexus put out their tests of the PS5 (power consumption etc. etc.). Much like i said above, looks like the memory is running hot, as opposed to the core. Or more specifically, a few specific chips of memory.

There are usually tolerances built in to these, i'd suspect those that are having issues have a combination of bad memory, and Sony running the chip to the edge in the first place with the design.

As they concluded tho, Sony could just run the fans faster, and tweak the manufacture process a little to better cover the edge cases.

Looks like normal teething pains for new hardware.

Sep 10, 2005
GamersNexus put out their tests of the PS5 (power consumption etc. etc.). Much like i said above, looks like the memory is running hot, as opposed to the core. Or more specifically, a few specific chips of memory.

There are usually tolerances built in to these, i'd suspect those that are having issues have a combination of bad memory, and Sony running the chip to the edge in the first place with the design.

As they concluded tho, Sony could just run the fans faster, and tweak the manufacture process a little to better cover the edge cases.

Looks like normal teething pains for new hardware.
Yeah they will improve this on the next hardware revision.Every generation has some problems at start.No worries as long as its not as severe as RROD was.