Old games (early PS3 era & prior) you didn't play until recently

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
I thought this would be an interesting topic for everyone.

What are some older games (let's say early PS3 era and prior) that you never played until recently (past 5 years or so)?

Examples: Maybe you kept hearing about a Final Fantasy title but didn't play it until recently. Perhaps Zelda Ocarina of Time eluded you until the 3DS remaster. Maybe that little game called Super Mario World was just never on your radar until last year. Maybe you finally delved into the world of Metal Gear Solid and have been playing all the remasters and series on PS3. Perhaps you wanted to see what Tomb Raider was all about so you finally played the original PS1 trilogy or the PS2 titles via the PS3 remasters. Maybe you never knew what Kingdom Hearts was until the PS3 1.5 and 2.5 compilations. Maybe you went to a friends house and they busted out their N64 with Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye 007 multiplayer so you experienced them for the first time. Etc...etc...etc...

Please feel free to share your experience with any old games that you only recently experienced for the first time!

Here are a couple of mine:

Megaman series on NES - I had always known about this series growing up but never actually played them at any length until about 3-4 years ago. They're extremely challenging but a lot of fun if you're up to the challenge.

Crystalis on NES - Similar to Zelda but with better music and a good story. I just discovered this about 3 years ago while browsing a popular Nintendo forum.

Final Fantasy IV for SNES, although I played it on the PS port. Probably the most under rated Final Fantasy game I can think of. It doesn't get anywhere near the love that other FF games get. Great classic story telling with twists, turns, and drama! Plus it's incredibly difficult once you start really getting further into it. I finally played it for the first time about 2 years ago and loved it. It's easily one of my top 2 FF games out of the first six games.

Jak and Daxter Precursor Legacy - I knew about it when it first came out but only briefly tried it at a friends house. I finally dove head first into it within the past year or so. I still haven't completed it but I've had a lot of fun every time I play. Well developed and colorful environments, fun platforming, and typical high quality from Naughty Dog. Great game!

Rayman series - I had always heard of this series but never looked into it until about 2 years ago when I was collecting N64 games. I came across Rayman 2 for N64 which lead me to Rayman Origins for PS3. Rayman Origins was some of the best side scrolling platforming I had played in a long, long time so that lead me to Rayman Legends for PS4 which has tons of remastered levels from Origins which was a nice bonus! Needless to say, I'm hooked on the last 2 entires (Origins and Legends) because the platforming is simply addicting and very challenging the further you progress. It's fun having the different Rayman characters to pick from too. If you ever enjoyed playing a Super Mario Brothers game or the Donkey Kong Country series, you should love these!

Ratchet and Clank series - I never heard much about these until I stumbled upon the R&C collection on PS3. I found out they were remasters of the PS2 games and overall they're really a lot of fun. Good humor, great mix of platforming and shooting, and colorful, big environments. I haven't played too many of the later PS3 games or the PS4 reboot but I plan on it. I'd say if you liked the Crash Bandicoot series, Jak and Daxter series, or Sly Cooper series, you will like R&C!

Jet Force Gemini - N64 game that is often overlooked. Developed by Rareware (who did all the best N64 games), it's a 3D action/adventure/shooter that's a lot of fun once you get used to the controls. I first played it about 3 years ago even though it came out in 1999. Great addition to any N64 collection!

Super Mario Galaxy for Wii - I was at a friends house around late 2007 watching him play this. It looked amazing but I soon forgot about it because I had a PS3 and not a Wii. Fast forward to around 2013 and I finally had a Wii with some games. Super Mario Galaxy is easily the best Mario game I've played since Super Mario 64. The music, the crazy level designs, the intense challenge of it all, the platforming...it all comes together in one incredible package that often gets overlooked because of the motion controls. All they'd have to do is give this a fresh coat of a paint on a modern console and allow players to play using a normal controller. Great game!

I could name some others but let's hear from you!

Last edited:

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
This is a great idea for a topic. Funny enough, most of the games that I never got around and started playing for the first time are old Final Fantasy games. I did a marathon where I played 1-13. A lot of them for the first time. This took me a few years to do and was a lot of fun to attempt. You really get to see where they bring in the old classics for summons or how certain characters like Ultros or Gilgamesh have changed over the series span.

There are probably other since then that I came back to try out, but I have mainly been playing modern stuff the last few years.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Sir_Scud, post: 6516761]This is a great idea for a topic. Funny enough, most of the games that I never got around and started playing for the first time are old Final Fantasy games. I did a marathon where I played 1-13. A lot of them for the first time. This took me a few years to do and was a lot of fun to attempt. You really get to see where they bring in the old classics for summons or how certain characters like Ultros or Gilgamesh have changed over the series span.

There are probably other since then that I came back to try out, but I have mainly been playing modern stuff the last few years.[/QUOTE]

Wow that's quite a task to play ALL the FF games from 1-13! Did you play them in order and consecutively? Or were you playing other games in between the FF games? Either way, kudos to you for the effort! Which FF games did you find to be your favorites? Did you ever make it to XIII-2, Lightning Returns, or anything else since XIII?

There's gotta be others out there who didn't play older games until recently, they just don't want to fess up! :lol:

Feb 6, 2016
Cleveland, Ohio USA
I had a launch PS1 and played it for a few years, then I transitioned from PS1 to PC gaming (the transition started about the time Win98 came out), and I stayed there for quite a while. The allure of...erm.....the free....was too easy not to take advantage of.......retro emus and whatnot....you know. Anyway, it was only a couple of years before the PS4 came out that I got back into console gaming when I bought a PS3. PS1 was the last console I owned until buying a PS3. So in effect, I missed the entire PS2 era.

I have since bought a PS2 and I'm catching up on a lot of fun games. I currently own a PS2/3/4 (PS1 by proxy) and a PSP and Vita. So yeah, I went all Sony with the consoles.

I got away from PC gaming....long story.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
I went back and played Deus Ex 2 and 1. I started with 2 since it was easier to digest, but I enjoyed both games. I would've loved 1 back in the day. I still have System Shock 2 on steam, which I should go and play.

I tried to play Thief and Gabriel Knight, but I couldn't get into them. I also didn't give them enough chance. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, these are even older games.

E: Oh, I just completed Demon's Souls last week. The series has sure evolved a lot, the game is ugly AF. It's still very playable though.

Last edited:

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6516764]Wow that's quite a task to play ALL the FF games from 1-13! Did you play them in order and consecutively? Or were you playing other games in between the FF games? Either way, kudos to you for the effort! Which FF games did you find to be your favorites? Did you ever make it to XIII-2, Lightning Returns, or anything else since XIII?

There's gotta be others out there who didn't play older games until recently, they just don't want to fess up! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, since I was taking a few years to play through them all, I took breaks and played other games. I didn't play them in their numbered order, for example I grew bored in FF VIII and started and played through IX first.

Honestly, I hated FF XIII. So I never continued on with the XIII series. I haven't tried X-2, so I may come back to that at some point. I'd say my favorites were VII, IX and XII. Least favorites being II, VIII and XIII. I do play XIV, but I don't really consider XI or XIV as part of the main series since they are MMOs.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I started playing Beyond Good and Evil last night. Pretty awesome game and has actually aged very well. Need to map the keys to my controller though. No native controller support on PC which is odd.

Survival Horror

Superior Member
Jan 25, 2015
Οne game that took me long time to play is Demon's Souls. I really loved this game and till now is my fav from Souls series. I thought in the beginning that is something different, not similar to Dark Souls and i dont know why i had this view. I found and bought it from a store on another city of Greece and when i first played said "shame on me:p"

One other game is The Wolf Among Us, i saw the characters like the "pet pig" and believed that the game is totally different from what actually was, so i didnt played till recently. Finally, realized that i did a mistake here too, rare for me, but of course it happens.

I dont remember anything else at the moment.

I

Inspektical

I always kept hearing about Bioshock, Bioshock this and Bioshock that, I've never even searched what it was until 2K Games came out with the remaster of the 3 games. When I finally knew what it was about I was like "Holy Crap, this is right up my alley! How have I never played this?" So I bought it and the Bioshock collection is to this day one of the best pieces of work in gaming for me. It isn't a play and forget type of game(s). It's one collection I won't ever forget.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

B

Blizzack1980

[QUOTE="Inspektical, post: 6528940]I always kept hearing about Bioshock, Bioshock this and Bioshock that, I've never even searched what it was until 2K Games came out with the remaster of the 3 games. When I finally knew what it was about I was like "Holy Crap, this is right up my alley! How have I never played this?" So I bought it and the Bioshock collection is to this day one of the best pieces of work in gaming for me. It isn't a play and forget type of game(s). It's one collection I won't ever forget.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Funny, I actually just started playing Bioshock Infinte the beginning of the month. I had played one and two before and had issues with both games (trying to get all of the little sisters in one play through in the first game, and then the forced tutorials in the second game that weren't actually tutorials, just making you use your new concepts immediately even if there was a better solution. I am loving Infinite though.