One aspect 360 is way ahead of the PS3 is in offline multiplayer

Nov 13, 2004
It has games that you can play with while someone is over. It has alot of co-op games or four people playing on the same system.

PS3 needs some of these games. Warhawk and Haze are the only games I can think of that does split screen/coop.

Edit: The title for this thread *was* Why the 360 is more popular than the PS3. So skip to the second page for the topic of 360 and PS3 offline multiplayer games.

Edit: This guy said what I was trying to say so I'll put it in my original post.

[QUOTE="Boulayman, post: 0]Well I know I wish there was more offline mp for my ps3. That's a fact. When I have friends over it's:
Rock band and singstar for sure
Then bomberman ultra and zombie apocalypse ( I dislike them both but at least they have 4 players mode. I really don't like bomberman ultra lol, I actually bought it while drunk from my uk account for no reason lol, the next morning I woke up and found it ready to be installed haha)
Then maybe LBP and the psn tmnt game
I own also marvel vs capcom 2 and Re 5 but they're both only two players so not good enough + re 5 split screen sucks and I don't like fighting games anyway :(
I have sports games but girls tend not to like those so my fifa 10 and nhl 10 are kind of useless.
I own both Resistance 1 and Resistance 2. I had no idea there was offline mp in there. 4 players ?
I own super stardust had but believe Super Stardust HD is only two players.
I also have these four games:
Pain
Pixel Junk Eden
Pixel Junk Monsters
flOw
I had no clue there was an offline mp mode in there. 4 players?

I also have trine and I know there's a coop mode but it's not really a party friendly game. Not enough instant gratification lol
Offline modes fat princess, kz2 and burnout would have been neat :(
So that's my status for the ps3. So when I saw this thread I assumed the 360 had way more. But reading more answers it seems not to be the case. I know a friend of mine is waiting eagerly for castle crashers to get ported to the ps3 sometime in 2010. And it seems that halo 3 has a cool offine mode judging from the answers. But that seems to be it ?[/quote]

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
Army of Two
Resident Evil 5
Plenty of Fighting games
Unreal Tournament 3
Resistance 1
Resistance 2
Sacred 2
Little Big Planet
-PSN
Super Stardust HD
Blast Factor
Pain
Pixel Junk Eden
Pixel Junk Monsters
Wipeout HD
Gunstar Heroes
Bomberman Ultra
flOw

Just to name some off the top of my head.

That's not why the 360 is more popular. It's more popular because of the online interface and having had a year on the market without any direct "next gen" competition.

don-sf

Apprentice
Apr 6, 2006
360 is not more popular, i think its just sold a tiny bit more than ps3, even though it was out ages before.

playstation is still the strongest brand assosiated with gaming...

[valium]

lawlydoodlez
Jun 12, 2008
I could sit here and make a long list of games that give PS3 owners that option.

The Xbox is not at all more popular than the PS3, there may be more people that own a 360 but for really only one reason, it's cheap tag.

higgos22

Master Guru
Feb 8, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with the fact that yes we do need more split screen co-op and versus games
i love playing them it was heaps of fun on ps2 and haze was a top hit with me and my mates for this reason also me and my brother would love playing resitance 2 first to 100kills 1 on 1 split screen

Daneroy

Apprentice
Jun 23, 2008
It is more popular because the original xbox was easy to modchip, fan-base grew from there. Halo probably helped some too. Also, the timing of the original xbox was good - it was affordable and was more advanced than the PS2 which had already been out for ages.
BTW - This only applies in North America, elsewhere the xbox ain't so hot.

May 7, 2009
i actually let go of my 360 lately, let my younger brother borrow it cos his go RROD, lol! if i wanted to keep it, it would be just for LFD 2. maybe when i get it back in 2 months or so i can play it :)

NateTheApe

Apprentice
Sep 12, 2009
I'd have to agree with Tyrien with the whole being on the market for a whole year with absolutely no competition. I mean by the time the PS3 came out, I think a lot people already owned the Xbox 360. Also the original xbox brought Xbox Live to the table and it just evolved in to something amazing that PSN has had a little trouble trying to catch up with. I personally don't own a Xbox 360 anymore but I do own a Wii. . .now why is that? Wii's are fun as hell with friends. . .and a little Vodka :D

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
The 360 is more popular mainly because it came out first. Plus when the Ps3 came out at $600 dollars it turned a lot of people away. Now finally Sony is replenishing some of it's fanbase it's had for 2 generations with the Ps1 and Ps2 by launching the Ps3 slim at an affordable price point of $299 dollars. Couple in some humorous family friendly ad's and Sony is capturing the magic they once held all to their own.

The 360 remains popular because it has the biggest install base which leads to friends wanting to game with their friends. Shocker right? Like you brought up the Co-op aspect of the 360, it's true the 360 has better, or maybe not exactly better but definitely more Co-op games having played many of them myself. Then you add on the Xbox Live service which is the best gaming service and you have a winning formula. It really speaks volumes to how excellent the 360 package is all around while Microsoft is still slightly overcharging for harddrives and having to pay for online service. Not to mention how strong the 360 has remained with the RROD fiasco.

To me, the Ps3 has the best games. The 360 has the best experience with friends.

lordAlucard

Forum Elder
Sep 20, 2008
In a world far far away
No because non gamers are buying Xboxs like the PS2 which is were all the ruined cases/disc are at.
Champions of Norrath and Wip3out were a huge loss to me because of these.... monsters they'll all pay!!

So glad blu-ray isn't that scratchable

Jul 10, 2008
Good thread but quick disclaimer though:

The 360 is more popular in the US, Canada, Australia and the UK.

As far as I know, everywhere else in the world, the ps3 is more popular ( by a wide margin: Japan. By a small margin: Europe - UK).

As for the arguments, I pretty much agree with all of them. I'd also add the halo effect. It really is a big deal for my 360 owning friends.

~NeonFire~

Super Elite
Aug 31, 2007
Simple:

1. It was released earlier.
2. The PS3 launch price was quite steep.

I went with the XBOX 360 first as well... $600 for the PS3 wasn't that attractive, but I ended up getting one in the end anyway. :lol:

BakaMaster

Forum Guru
Dec 22, 2007
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 0]The 360 is more popular mainly because it came out first. Plus when the Ps3 came out at $600 dollars it turned a lot of people away. Now finally Sony is replenishing some of it's fanbase it's had for 2 generations with the Ps1 and Ps2 by launching the Ps3 slim at an affordable price point of $299 dollars. Couple in some humorous family friendly ad's and Sony is capturing the magic they once held all to their own.

The 360 remains popular because it has the biggest install base which leads to friends wanting to game with their friends. Shocker right? Like you brought up the Co-op aspect of the 360, it's true the 360 has better, or maybe not exactly better but definitely more Co-op games having played many of them myself. Then you add on the Xbox Live service which is the best gaming service and you have a winning formula. It really speaks volumes to how excellent the 360 package is all around while Microsoft is still slightly overcharging for harddrives and having to pay for online service. Not to mention how strong the 360 has remained with the RROD fiasco.

To me, the Ps3 has the best games. The 360 has the best experience with friends.[/quote]

I Disagree with u my friend. Remeber 2 gen ago Amiga CD32 came out. I never even heard of it nor seen it. In the end PSone came out on top.

Last gen Dreamcast came out 1st, but in the end PS2 came out on top.

This gen hasnt fully push yet an we gonna see more to it.:lol:

To me, what makes Xbox/360 popular is thought huge main stream. We know from outside JP console still on top but here in USA Xbox 360 is a winner to them.

phil_75

Dedicated Member
Mar 30, 2009
DERBY
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]Army of Two
Resident Evil 5
Plenty of Fighting games
Unreal Tournament 3
Resistance 1
Resistance 2
Sacred 2
Little Big Planet
-PSN
Super Stardust HD
Blast Factor
Pain
Pixel Junk Eden
Pixel Junk Monsters
Wipeout HD
Gunstar Heroes
Bomberman Ultra
flOw

That's not why the 360 is more popular. It's more popular because of the online interface and having had a year on the market without any direct "next gen" competition.[/quote]

BOOM! ...HEADSHOT!:lol:

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
1. As stated was launched first.
2. PRICE. Alot of people underestimate the power of a price the console has as being THE determing factor. Take my 9 year of retail experience, Price is the first and last thing 90% of people look at when deciding on a system.(I never count the wii comparable to xbox or ps3 it is its own entaty)

Jan 18, 2008
Things are changing big time. The PS3 now seems to be the system with the better exclusives not to mention the price drop and that the blu ray format seems to finally be really taking off.

All the disgruntled 360 owners who got the RROD are seeing the PS3 as a better option since it seems to be a fairly reliable piece of hardware.

Oh and one more thing. Games like Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are finally showing a clear difference in graphical power between the 2 systems.

Nov 13, 2004
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]Army of Two
Resident Evil 5
Plenty of Fighting games
Unreal Tournament 3
Resistance 1
Resistance 2
Sacred 2
Little Big Planet
-PSN
Super Stardust HD
Blast Factor
Pain
Pixel Junk Eden
Pixel Junk Monsters
Wipeout HD
Gunstar Heroes
Bomberman Ultra
flOw

That's not why the 360 is more popular. It's more popular because of the online interface and having had a year on the market without any direct "next gen" competition.[/quote]

Army of Two
Resident Evil 5
"Plenty of fighting games"
Are on the 360 also.

Unreal isn't coop or split screen.

Now someone compile a 360 list. And see where PS3 still stands.

Why it's popular might be the wrong title but 360 is better in terms of offline multiplayer.

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="MiThRaZoR, post: 0]Resident Evil 5
"Plenty of fighting games"
Are on the 360 also.

Unreal isn't coop or split screen.

Now someone compile a 360 list. And see where PS3 still stands.

Why it's popular might be the wrong title but 360 is better in terms of offline multiplayer.[/quote]

Unreal Tournament had splitscreen patched in.

It doesn't matter if the games are multi-platform; the games are still offline co-op. There's about the same amount of games on both systems that have offline multi-player.

Nov 13, 2004
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]Unreal Tournament had splitscreen patched in.

It doesn't matter if the games are multi-platform; the games are still offline co-op. There's about the same amount of games on both systems that have offline multi-player.[/quote]

Oh okay, forget I said that then.

True. But more games doesn't necessarily mean better. We need more quality titles with offline multiplayer. Games that shoulda had it would be mainly, Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2.

Our most quality titles don't have it. And that's what PS3 lacks. 360's quality exclusives have offline multiplayer.

jfkgoblue

Elite Member
Sep 25, 2009
South Carolina
[QUOTE="MiThRaZoR, post: 0]Oh okay, forget I said that then.

True. But more games doesn't necessarily mean better. We need more quality titles with offline multiplayer. Games that shoulda had it would be mainly, Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2.

Our most quality titles don't have it. And that's what PS3 lacks. 360's quality exclusives have offline multiplayer.[/quote]
PS3's most quality exclusives don't have it?(Yoou are excluding multi-plats so I will too)

lets see off the top of my head
Little Big Planet
Resistence 1 and 2
Warhawk

compare to 360 exclusives
L4D 1 and 2
Halo 3 and whate else? Gears 2 is all that I can think of...

May 29, 2007
.....pss..behind you
[valium];4778532 said:
I could sit here and make a long list of games that give PS3 owners that option.

The Xbox is not at all more popular than the PS3, there may be more people that own a 360 but for really only one reason, it's cheap tag.
AND an entire year headstart without ANY competition. People that wanted a next gen console had no other choices. It was the 360 or bust. THAT was the biggest factor of all.

The lower price surely helped. Just look at the Wii. Pricepoint means ALOT. Especially in this economy.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
[QUOTE="BakaMaster, post: 0]I Disagree with u my friend. Remeber 2 gen ago Amiga CD32 came out. I never even heard of it nor seen it. In the end PSone came out on top.

Last gen Dreamcast came out 1st, but in the end PS2 came out on top.

This gen hasnt fully push yet an we gonna see more to it.:lol:

To me, what makes Xbox/360 popular is thought huge main stream. We know from outside JP console still on top but here in USA Xbox 360 is a winner to them.[/quote]

Good points, though i have never heard of the Amiga CD32 and i'm a hardcore gamer so case and point. It was destined to fail.

As far as the Dreamcast goes, i watched the documentary on Youtube as to why it failed. Nobody believed in Sega anymore at that point. The Dreamcast was head and shoulders the best console they released but people eventually grew tired of Sega and their add ons, etc. With how well the Ps1 did it had such a huge fanbase the only console anyone wanted for Christmas was the Ps2. Sega basically couldn't give away the Dreamcast.

So all that said, the 360 was in a much better spot to succeed coming off the Xbox. Halo basically cemented that the 360 would do well. I'll stand by my reasoning that the 360 is mainly as popular as it is because it was released first. I think we all know that if the Ps3 was released first it would be doing as well as the 360 is doing and probably even have a larger margin of console sales between the two. Especially if it was released without the ridiculous $600 dollar price tag.

May 29, 2007
.....pss..behind you
I truly believe the Dreamcast was the better of the consoles that generation and that the reason the Dreamcast failed was because of their use on GDRoms and the fact that nearly everyone I knew had every Dreamcast game available on plain CDs. I believe Pirating truly did ruin SEGA and the Dremcast.

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
[valium];4778532 said:

and many 360 owners bought a second 360 due to RROD.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
[QUOTE="faaeng, post: 0]I truly believe the Dreamcast was the better of the consoles that generation and that the reason the Dreamcast failed was because of their use on GDRoms and the fact that nearly everyone I knew had every Dreamcast game available on plain CDs. I believe Pirating truly did ruin SEGA and the Dremcast.[/quote]

The Dreamcast very well could of been better. I have very fond memories of it. Looking back the controller was terrible. Other then that it was a superb console. It was actually the first time i had internet access using Sega online. The games were excellent. It got me into the 2k sports game series. Those were good years.

However since the Ps2 lasted longer and ultimately has arguably the best library of games to date i have to say the Ps2 was better.

Pirating definitely played a part. I have a buddy who recently just got a 360 Arcade but before that all he had was his Dreamcast and he'd play all these games from NES/Super NES on it. Seeing Mario on a Sega console was rather odd.

[QUOTE="don-sf, post: 0]360 is not more popular, i think its just sold a tiny bit more than ps3, even though it was out ages before.

playstation is still the strongest brand assosiated with gaming...[/quote]

I highly disagree with this, i would say it was the Nintendo DS and Nintendo wii now. Even witha decline in sales its absolutely destroying the competition.

So i would say nintendo was defineately the strongest brand associated with gaming

Gewargis

Apprentice
Nov 28, 2009
I dont think one system is more popular over the other. They are pretty equal.
Anyway Yeah PS3 has it's fair share of Co-op games! look at Tyrien's Post!