[Opinion] Be Patient PS Vita Owners

May 5, 2011
USA
February 2012 saw the release of Sony’s current generation handheld: the PlayStation Vita. The launch games for the system included Uncharted Golden Abyss, Unit 13, and Escape Plan. A few months later, a very innovative Gravity Rush debuted and PlayStation Vita fans gobbled it down. Since then, software such as Soul Sacrifice, Call of Duty Declassified, and Assassin’s Creed III Liberation have released on the PlayStation Vita.

It is now the middle of June 2013, more than a year after the PlayStation Vita’s premiere. Do you know what Vita owners’ biggest gripe is about? Games. Those who dished out $250-$300 for the HD handheld are complaining about the variety, lack of, and quality of the machine’s video games. Sure, the Vita is a versatile little thing. A person can watch movies, listen to music, take pictures, and socialize through the media with his or her Vita. However, the main function of the Vita is to play video games.

Take a look at Sony’s PlayStation 3. There are many developers who create titles for it, first party and third party. Also, Sony recently announced the PlayStation 4 and it has already gained support. First Party companies such as Guerilla Games, Santa Monica Studios, and Media Molecule are already at work, chipping away at new IPs and video games for the console. It remains shocking how little support the 1 year old Vita is receiving compared to hardware not even out yet.

Of course, Vita owners expected E3 2013 to showcase some games. They were disappointed. Batman Black Gate seems to be the most interesting Vita title flaunted at E3 and it’s not an exclusive. There were others, but those may not even be localized or sold outside Asian markets.

So what is a PlayStation Vita owner to do? Sell his or her Vita? That’s always an option, but it is also a waste of money if that person decides to give the handheld another go. That is why I am writing this opinion. My advice to the owners and potential owners of the Vita is: be patient. Why? Because there are big reasons to be optimistic. When these predictions become reality, people are going to flock to the PlayStation Vita just like they stampeded to the PSP, although it was near the end of the PSP’s life cycle. I am doubtful the Vita will become a hot commodity at the end, but rather in one to two more years.

Before we get to the meat, let’s talk about the bread. The PlayStation Vita is a small, but powerful item. It hosts HD gaming on the go along with a wide OLED screen and touch abilities. This is ripe for apps, movies, music, and special features for each. Already, Netflix can be utilized on the Vita. Now imagine Sony deciding to allow people to watch tv on his or her Vita. Instead of using a tablet to watch the New York Giants hammer the New England Patriots, the guy can watch it on his Vita while waiting for the greyhound bus to stop. Sony built a machine with high potential and I know non game companies see this. They will hop on in the future, especially when sales pick up.

Now we can talk about the barbeque chicken inside the cooked dough. It’s been more than a year and gamers are already stating there’s no games for the Vita. Guys are walking into Gamestop and Walmart scratching their heads as they search for worthy cartridges to buy. Let me tell you something: do not sell your Vita and you who are interested in the Vita, stay interested. Both of you be patient.

Although there were a lack of games at E3 2013, there are still two main video game events on the horizon. The rising Gamescom and the declining Tokyo Game Show may be the events you need to focus on. Even Nintendo kept somewhat quiet about the 3DS, but you can bet they have some cards up their sleeves. I surmise Sony does too.

Another thing to consider is the Vita is only one year old. It takes time to establish a gaming library. Give devs time to get on board before you dive overboard. If we gamers can see how powerful and attractive the Vita is, then third party groups see it as well. Then there’s PlayStation Plus and it has so much value even on the PlaySation Vita. Free games are available every single month and in time, the titles offered will make your mouth salivate.

So Vita fans and buyers, please be patient. The games and support will come. When they do come, your wallet will bleed green and you will be happy that you held on during the bumpy portion of the ride.

Last edited:
May 5, 2011
USA
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6118876]Selling will not get you much money for it either I imagine, since as you say there seems to be little support for it.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's true. Then when the support comes, you rush to the store and shell out cash for a used or new one. You just lose money when you do that.

There's nothing wrong with letting a system sit, unless you see that it's not a device that caters to you.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
As a new Vita owner a few months ago, I purchased it knowing full well the games situation. I actually bought it because I knew further down the road it would have some cool games. Not to mention the remote play feature for all PS4 games. Personally I'm really excited for games like Tearaway and Killzone Mercenaries. I bought Soul Sacrifice already, and it's seriously one of my favorite games of the generation, handheld or console.

I don't blame those for selling it, though. If I had already owned it for a year and played Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Unit 13...it'd be a long year waiting for those new said games. But I agree that I think the patience will pay off.

Good read TBW. This thread is entered!

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
Certainly wouldn't watch tv on a vita when i have a choice of a tablet...not a sniff. That would be a downgrade. I just think gaming on mobiles certainly hasn't helped the vita at all. Lovely hardware, but for me, not something i will look at again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2