[Opinion] Hardcore Gamer?!?!?! Are you Serious Bro?

Jul 10, 2012
Orlando FL
The Term “Hardcore Gamer” What is it to you?
The term hardcore gamer is a term that I feel is thrown around too much and is used by some to insult another gamer. However what does it mean? What makes you a hardcore gamer? Playing FPS shooters on PS3 or Xbox360, playing games like God of war or games with explicit content? If you exclusively play Nintendo Wii you’re a casual gamer or Kiddie gamer? Or if you play any console and don’t play on PC you’re not a hardcore gamer?

So many different options today in our gaming world you have consoles, portables, PC, mobile, and tablets. What makes a person a hardcore gamer? While I cannot speak for the masses I can give my opinion in regards to the term “hardcore gamer.”

Personally I refuse to even use the term hardcore gamer its an ugly term that just separates the gaming community to some I guess it gives them a sense of entitlement which is just ridiculous IMO. No matter what you game on Console, PC, mobile ect… your still gaming right? At the end of the day we are all playing games so happy gaming to all. I think some gamers have their preferences in games I know me I love to play first party Nintendo titles like Mario games however I also love to play God of war also well as gory FPS from time to time. While I cant play as much games as I would like due to my career, family and responsibilities as an adult does that make me a NON hardcore gamer cause I enjoy causal games on my Wii or Wii U does that make me a child? Fuck NO! Back in the good old days EVERYONE was playing on their NES, Atari 2600, or Master System. This separation in regards to kiddie console to mature console started with Sega Genesis claiming to be the mature console while NES and SNES were billed by them as a kiddie console. Great marketing btw lol Now a days you have most teenagers throwing that term around loosely just by the next gen of gamers. Im 30 years old I grow up playing these “kiddie” games Like Mario, Sonic, ect… I guess I just grow up in a time where you were playing video games or you were not. I have 2 cousins that are xbox360 guys and all they play is Halo as well as sport titles they would never own a Wii until they came over to my house and played Wii U and Wii. It really opened their eyes and they saw these “kiddie” or “casual games can be fun.

My Final opinion is there is NO such thing as a hard core gamer because at the end of the day your playing games whether your playing “Hello Kitty Adventure Island” or Halo your still a gamer and at the end of the day that’s what keeps the industry alive and kicking “gamers”

Please share your opinion and feel free to discuss anything I have mentioned I look forward to your opinions and possible debates broski’s!

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
I agree with you that the term hardcore gamer is a bit distasteful and probably raises phantom divisions between people who just want to enjoy games. I guess the term was originally used to describe people who were just really, really into games. Spent most of their free time on them and had an enormously large collection. That's how I still view the term I think

But with the rise of the casual gamer, the term is being used more to differentiate them and ordinary gamers more often. I do see a big difference between only casual gamers and people who like a more sophisticated experience and devote more time to it.

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
I feel the same way. All a "hardcore" gamer does is give themselves that title to make themselves feel superior to everyone else. Some label themselves that to justify the countless hours they have sunk into a game(world of warcraft). It is an overused term that has no meaning save for someone to label themselves to feel superior.

Jul 10, 2012
Orlando FL
Some food for thought….Let’s try to compare gaming to drinking….You have people who are social drinkers and alcoholics.
Obviously alcoholics spend way too much time drinking and drink more than a Social drinker than drinks on occasion @ social events
Could that scenario be comparable in contrast to Hardcore or casual gamer?

Cyn

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
[QUOTE="DeviousOne, post: 6040167]Some food for thought….Let’s try to compare gaming to drinking….You have people who are social drinkers and alcoholics.
Obviously alcoholics spend way too much time drinking and drink more than a Social drinker than drinks on occasion @ social events
Could that scenario be comparable in contrast to Hardcore or casual gamer?[/QUOTE]
lol that's a funny way to look at it.

"Hi my name's Bob and I'm a gamerholic. I used to think I had it under control, thought I was cool. Even called myself a hardcore gamer. Bah, look at me now"

Updator

Master Poster
Nov 13, 2008
Somerset, UK
I really don't like the term 'hardcore gamer'. To me the term implies that it is all you do in your spare time, spending no time with friends etc.

i think of myself as a 'gamer' and always find it funny when someone states that they are an 'hardcore gamer'.

Jul 10, 2012
Orlando FL
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 6040211]lol that's a funny way to look at it.

"Hi my name's Bob and I'm a gamerholic. I used to think I had it under control, thought I was cool. Even called myself a hardcore gamer. Bah, look at me now"[/QUOTE]

Lol yea

"I lost my job, family, and friends because I was a HARDCORE gamer" lol I've personal heard of people putting gaming before anything and anyone I think anything in life can become an addiction tho.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
I always equate hardcore with hobbyist/enthusiast. A hardcore gamer is someone who plays games, visits forums, stays up till 2 a.m to watch console reveals and follows games from announcement to launch. I also equate it with the type of gamer who doesn't turn off the console just because there is a learning curve. The hardcore gamer wants advancement, progression, achievement and mastery. They go balls deep into games. I agree though that the term in general is pretty ambiguous. Whatever you call it, it is a demographic though. The word hardcore means intensely loyal. Are we not intensely loyal to our hobby? To gaming? We are a different breed of gamer than the average Joe who just goes to buy games from the store, who plays to pass a bit of time, who would never consider writing reviews and opinion pieces on the subject...and who thinks the Wii U is a Wii accessory. :lol:

Last edited:

Updator

Master Poster
Nov 13, 2008
Somerset, UK
[QUOTE="Ghost-Rhayne, post: 6040283]I always equate hardcore with hobbyist/enthusiast. A hardcore gamer is someone who plays games, visits forums, stays up till 2 a.m to watch console reveals and follows games from announcement to launch. I also equate it with the type of gamer who doesn't turn off the console just because there is a learning curve. The hardcore gamer wants advancement, progression, achievement and mastery. They go balls deep into games. I agree though that the term in general is pretty ambiguous. Whatever you call it, it is a demographic though. The word hardcore means intensely loyal. Are we not intensely loyal to our hobby? To gaming?[/QUOTE]
I hadn't thought about it like that. That's how I want to see it from now on

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
Wow Ghost, well said. I'll state my own views in a bit. For now D, this shit is in the database! I appreciate the work!

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
A hardcore gamer is someone not old enough yet to understand the reality that you can't play games all day for the rest of your life and moving out of your mom's basement should be an eventual goal.

I'd rather just be a gamer with a life.

I do miss those days when we were too young to have any responsibilities. Stupid life. -waves fist-

[QUOTE="Ghost-Rhayne, post: 6040283]I always equate hardcore with hobbyist/enthusiast. A hardcore gamer is someone who plays games, visits forums, stays up till 2 a.m to watch console reveals and follows games from announcement to launch. I also equate it with the type of gamer who doesn't turn off the console just because there is a learning curve. The hardcore gamer wants advancement, progression, achievement and mastery. They go balls deep into games. I agree though that the term in general is pretty ambiguous. Whatever you call it, it is a demographic though. The word hardcore means intensely loyal. Are we not intensely loyal to our hobby? To gaming? We are a different breed of gamer than the average Joe who just goes to buy games from the store, who plays to pass a bit of time, who would never consider writing reviews and opinion pieces on the subject...and who thinks the Wii U is a Wii accessory. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Or this. That seems like a more appropriate summary.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I don't mind hardcore gamer being thrown around if it's used to define someone who is passionate about video games, like Ghost-Rhayne described. I find labels like "girl gamer" to be more childish and self-entitled.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Blacksite, post: 6040421]I don't mind hardcore gamer being thrown around if it's used to define someone who is passionate about video games, like Ghost-Rhayne described. I find labels like "girl gamer" to be more childish and self-entitled.[/QUOTE]
You got something against girl gamers??

Do they even exist? :0

kidding

Jul 10, 2012
Orlando FL
[QUOTE="Ghost-Rhayne, post: 6040283]I always equate hardcore with hobbyist/enthusiast. A hardcore gamer is someone who plays games, visits forums, stays up till 2 a.m to watch console reveals and follows games from announcement to launch. I also equate it with the type of gamer who doesn't turn off the console just because there is a learning curve. The hardcore gamer wants advancement, progression, achievement and mastery. They go balls deep into games. I agree though that the term in general is pretty ambiguous. Whatever you call it, it is a demographic though. The word hardcore means intensely loyal. Are we not intensely loyal to our hobby? To gaming? We are a different breed of gamer than the average Joe who just goes to buy games from the store, who plays to pass a bit of time, who would never consider writing reviews and opinion pieces on the subject...and who thinks the Wii U is a Wii accessory. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Good point of view sir however I don't feel hardcore needs to be in the term. Gamer fits the bill. Cause a non gamer isn't going to know that a Wii U isn't an add on to the Wii

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="DeviousOne, post: 6040444]Good point of view sir however I don't feel hardcore needs to be in the term. Gamer fits the bill. Cause a non gamer isn't going to know that a Wii U isn't an add on to the Wii[/QUOTE]

Dedicated gamer?

There is a division, we are different kinds of video game consumers--we are more skilled, more knowledgeable and we are much more deeply invested into gaming culture as a whole. How many hours do we spend a week on this forum reporting stories, discussing etc etc...casuals don't give a fuck about doing half the shit we get up to at PSU, they do other stuff with their time after a few rounds of Dance Central or CoD etc. Here we are discussing, writing articles, making sigs, guilding up...I think hardcore gamers pretty accurately sums up the likes of our community.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="DeviousOne, post: 6041483]Question....

If I only play Nintendo console but I keep up with all there news I spend 15 hours a day playing Nintendo am I a hardcore gamer???[/QUOTE]
Most definitely, sir!

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009

If I only play Nintendo console but I keep up with all there news I spend 15 hours a day playing Nintendo am I a hardcore gamer???[/QUOTE]

Yeah, by my definition you are. The device is irrelevant for the most part. The genre of game doesn't qualify a hardcore or casual gamer either imo, it's how into and dedicated they are to the games they play. If I was here as a Wii gamer who loved to play all the dancing, sport and whatever else casual Wii mote or Wii accessory games there are, if I was discussing these games in threads with other like minded gamers and engaging the industry and community like we do here, I would still think of myself as a hardcore gamer. We all have different tastes in how we get our gaming fix so why should a gamer geek be labelled as a casual gamer just because he prefers to get high scores by dancing or working his ass off instead of running around in a bro shooter? I have always said in these kind of discussions that I define hardcore gamers as hobbyist gamers or enthusiasts. The gamer who just plays the yearly CoDs and FIFAs can also easily fall under what I define as a casual gamer.

Jul 10, 2012
Orlando FL
I do agree device is relevant as well. I don't agree with anyone that says well you play a certain device your not a real gamer.

Never seen it on PSU but I have on other forums.

I think Passion defines if you a hardcore gamer some people just don't have the time they would like to devote to gaming

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers

Yes. Doesn't matter what console you play.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
To me, the term is someone who enjoys more than just a Gears, Halo ,COD, Madden Sports games and maybe plays a game like Journey from time to time.

EDIT:
Scratch that, Ghost-Rayne's post above sums it up perfectly imo.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
My personal opinion is that a hardcore gamer is who likes challenge. The games are getting less and less challenging by the day and everything is spoon-fed to you, to the point where people like myself loose interest.

I want games where I can experience as much realism as possible. It doesn't have to be realism but it has to portray it in some way. It has to give you that feeling.

So games being difficult or where you have to figure things out on you own completely, is what I consider hardcore. Like Demon's Souls i.e.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 6041750]My personal opinion is that a hardcore gamer is who likes challenge. The games are getting less and less challenging by the day and everything is spoon-fed to you, to the point where people like myself loose interest.

I want games where I can experience as much realism as possible. It doesn't have to be realism but it has to portray it in some way. It has to give you that feeling.

So games being difficult or where you have to figure things out on you own completely, is what I consider hardcore. Like Demon's Souls i.e.[/QUOTE]In that case, hardcore gamers like suicidal games. :snicker

Also, I'm not hardcore by that definition. I play games for fun. And I do like a challenge depending on the game. But most games I just like to enact my powers/skills without needing to try too hard.

I sorta thought that was the point... :p

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="admartian, post: 6041753]In that case, hardcore gamers like suicidal games. :snicker

Also, I'm not hardcore by that definition. I play games for fun. And I do like a challenge depending on the game. But most games I just like to enact my powers/skills without needing to try too hard.

I sorta thought that was the point... :p[/QUOTE]
hehe well in more detail, what I mean is that I hate how Oblivion/Skyrim had fast travel, I want to just travel myself to places but that becomes tedious because the game isn't designed that way, there's not much going on when you're traveling.

I'd want a game where you don't know where you're going, you just rely on nature to survive and stars to navigate...but how would that happen when we have a bunch of newbs crying about everything lol.

There's always that one game that still goes for that sort of stuff and that's why I'm still in gaming. If that ever disappeared, I'll probably find another hobby.

P.S. I played almost the entire playthrough of RDR without the map or crosshairs. The experience was great but I want it to be more realistic where you feel the fatigue of going from one place to another. I want to feel the struggle.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 6041787]hehe well in more detail, what I mean is that I hate how Oblivion/Skyrim had fast travel, I want to just travel myself to places but that becomes tedious because the game isn't designed that way, there's not much going on when you're traveling.

I'd want a game where you don't know where you're going, you just rely on nature to survive and stars to navigate...but how would that happen when we have a bunch of newbs crying about everything lol.

There's always that one game that still goes for that sort of stuff and that's why I'm still in gaming. If that ever disappeared, I'll probably find another hobby.

P.S. I played almost the entire playthrough of RDR without the map or crosshairs. The experience was great but I want it to be more realistic where you feel the fatigue of going from one place to another. I want to feel the struggle.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you want to play a game like Arma2/DayZ everything, apart from the zombies, in that game is realistic!

You start with nothing (if you find the right servers) other than a bandage and a bag. Now on a map that is 220 square KM having no map makes it rather difficult to find your way around as you have no idea where you are going and your only chance of knowing where you are is by finding road signs but they all happen to be in Russian or other similar languages.

You need to keep on top of your hunger, thirst and also warmth. On a huge map you obviously will travel a lot and until you find a Vehicle you'll be doing all that traveling on foot what will run down your hunger and thirst levels depending how fast and far you run. Your hunger and thirst also dictates how fast/far you will run. On the colder maps you need to keep on top of your warmth otherwise you'll freeze so you need to find those heat-packs or at least warm clothes. I wouldn't advise swimming either as that is a sure shot way to catch an infection and need antibiotics.

Tried to jump off a ledge that is obviously too high? Yup, you are going to break your legs and you won't be walking again until you find some morphine. If you've been shot or hurt you'll start to bleed out and loose your blood until you pass out and die. You need to bandage yourself to prevent loosing any more blood and depending how bad you've been hurt you need to take painkillers otherwise you can't aim well, you just shake everywhere.

In order to gain blood back you need another player to give you a blood transfusion, that's the easiest way to get back to full health otherwise you need to go hunting for some tasty animals and eat the meat from them to gain a little bit of blood back at a time. You can't hunt though until you've found a hunting knife and you won't be able to eat your food without cooking it so you need to find matches and a hatchet to gather wood and start a camp fire. In the most recent update you also need to boil your water to reduce the chance of being catching an infection - or you can just scavenge for canned drinks.

If you've been successful enough to find a vehicle you've first got to fix it depending what is broke (you also need to find a tool box for that) and that can be anything from windows, fuel tanks, rotary blades, the frame and wheels. Then even once you've done all of that you still need to make sure the vehicle has fuel (me and my friend once miscalculated how much fuel we had and as we were flying the helicopter back to our hidden base we ran out of fuel and crashed the helicopter and both died, lost a lot of good stuff on that character) for you to get to where you are going, so it's always good to find some jerry cans and have them filled up and stored in the vehicle as you run out of fuel a lot sooner than you think on a map that is so big!

And my favourite part - once you're dead. You are dead. You start from a new character and it all starts over again. There are so many mechanics I haven't gone in go as I can't remember them but the game is exceptionally deep - things like how your fatigue can effect your shot make the game that little bit more realistic than any other shooter I've ever played. No question about that.

The world of DayZ is a dangerous and realistic place. You are trying to survive from the elements, avoid the zombies, keep on top of your health, hunger, thirst and warmth all whilst trying to be aware of the most dangerous thing. Players.

If you've got a PC I can't stress enough how much I can recommend playing this game. If you want realism, you owe it to yourself to play it

BBK. Tapatalking

Jul 10, 2012
Orlando FL
[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 6041787]hehe well in more detail, what I mean is that I hate how Oblivion/Skyrim had fast travel, I want to just travel myself to places but that becomes tedious because the game isn't designed that way, there's not much going on when you're traveling.

P.S. I played almost the entire playthrough of RDR without the map or crosshairs. The experience was great but I want it to be more realistic where you feel the fatigue of going from one place to another. I want to feel the struggle.[/QUOTE]

The game your describing sounds like Zombi U on Wii U lol

I basically define myself as a gamer. Its my hobby just like my car hobby i do call myself a car guy.