Opinion needed for purchase

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
After many, many different units of hard-drive based mp3 players, I have ended up with an iriver H10 5GB player. This player cost me AU$277 and is not really what I want, and it has already displayed some minor problems. I am going to take it back and I've been thinking of getting an iPod video (since all other iPods are discontinued). I heard that Apple are really bad when it comes to honouring warranties, so I was wondering whether some iPod owners could enlighten me on that issue, etc.

Is this a good decision?

Cera

Forum Guru
Jan 16, 2006
Well, it depends on where you claim your warranty. Where I am, they are pretty good at honouring it, unless of course the damage is caused by misuse (like if I stepped on mine or something). Then, they might be nice and fix it for free.

I've got a 60GB iPod video, and the quality is quite good. I don't even have scratches on it (and considering mine is black, that's something odd). I take care of it and use those clear films and a case. My sister has a white 30GB- she uses a case too.

If they don't honour your warranty, isn't there somewhere you can complain? They are definitely obligated to deliver it.

If you don't like Video, you could get Nano though- they use smaller flash memory. Though considering their price tags, pretty much only the 1GB and 2GB Nano is worth paying for. The 4GB costs just a little bit under the 30GB video.

Have you considered another iriver? I've had one for a long time (IHP-120, it's really old) and it's been ticking for the past 4 years or so.

Though if you are scared of scratches or the link, going for the white iPod would be a wise choice ;)

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
Well, iPods usually are the ones that keep working for a while, well, for my friends they do at least. I have considered the 20GB version of the iriver H10, but I fear I might experience the same slight problems. I was thinking of the Cowon iAudio X5, but that's only 20Gb, and I've realised I hate choosing what music to put on it, rather, I want to have ALl of my music on there. 8) Hence, the 30GB Ipod looks appealing. :p

Silas

Forum Elder
Dec 19, 2005
I have a 6GB Ipod Nano, while i don't know how much it cost (Christmas present) Apple seem to offer a lot of customer service. Once i registered it online i receive monthly emails with tips, hints and the like on how to care for your Ipod. Quite often they offer free cleaning packs and screen cloths (but unfortunately i live in UK whch they don't deliver to)

I would reccomend either a Video or Nano, the rest aren't worth payng for as they don't offer the advantages of the Nano (Small and sleek) or the video (it has tons of memory and can watch, well, videos)

Anyway, the decision is up to yourself and i'm sure that website did give you some tips?

Nov 22, 2005
I feel that Apple is just way too overhyped and overexerted, mainly because even though it may be very good, it doesn't offer other types of files, only the files that you have to consolidate on iTunes and what you buy over iTunes Store, and that's it. No WMA, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, that kind of stuff. I also feel it's not great for the money, such as that it doesn't come, usually, with extra features such as audio supports, accessories, FM radio, and capability with other programs. That's what iPods need to be great.

DeputyDon

Elite Guru
Jun 7, 2005
www.youtube.com
My friend has an Ipod. He has had to send it to Apple three times now because it keeps freezing and then when it comes back on it deletes everything. It just happens randomly. So yeah, it's the third one they have gave him and it still does it. It's not the video one so maybe they fixed the problem since that one came out.

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
Alright.. I'm in itunes, right, and I go from the "Library" navigation to my ipod, right? Usually you're able to access your content on your ipod via your PC by doing this. Apparently, when I do it, all the song names are grey and I can't click on them etc.

How the hell can I access my content on my ipod via itunes?

EDIT
I hae fixed the problem with accessing data. Now, all I need is to make on-the-fly conversion to mp3 format to my ipod. I used to have an ipod shuffle, and when I put my music onto my ipod, I selected a certain option for it to automatically convert all the files to a certain format. How can I do that on a video ipod?

EDIT
I have fixed the problem with the compression. Actually, I didn't, but I found out the on-the-fly compression was only for shuffle, so I have to compress them myself. Thanks for the support, guys! :p

safdarkazmi

Superior Member
May 13, 2004
I'm hoping to have the login details for the new Springboard player soon. If I get it in the next two days, I'll try and have videos ready for you by the end of the week.