[OPINION] Sharing My Love for Turn-Based Strategy

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Sharing My Love for Turn-Based Strategy
I love playing video games and I’m fairly sure most of you do too. That’s why we’re here right? Probably much like you I’ve played all genres of games over the years. After a while though you may come to realise there is one kind that you love more than others. For me that favourite, just in front of RPG’s, is turn-based strategy games. My preferred platform is console too (PS4) and I’ve mentioned that here because it’s a pretty significant point considering the genre.

Turn-Based versus Real-Time

Some of you will be thinking “what about real-time strategy?” and that's a good question. Well, real-time strategy games are quite a different beast to the turn-based style and ultimately I just don't really enjoy them as much. I like having the opportunity to consider what my options are before making a decision and acting upon it. Real-time strategy demands that you make that decision on the fly and with the challenge I'm looking for that just doesn't sit well. I find real-time strategy games don’t offer the same kind of depth of system that turn-based strategy games normally offer either. They share a lot of similarities for sure but I just find them offering too little to keep me interested in the long term.

Console versus PC

Before mentioning some favourites (Civilisation and XCOM) it’s important to consider the difference between console and PC systems. The Civilisation and XCOM series of games are from the same developer, Firaxis Games, and It's true to say I'm pretty thankful for what they've done with consistently high quality titles in this genre. Most recently of course they have released Civilisation: Beyond Earth for the PC and I will be astronomically ecstatic If they ever bring that to consoles, however remote a possibility that may be. It's a shame there are not many more developers doing this kind of work for consoles but the reality is that the genre of turn-based strategy fit's so much better on PC which is due mainly to 2 issues I believe. Firstly, that these kind of games, with more complex systems and mechanics, can suffer from the limitations of using a controller as your input device rather than a keyboard and mouse. Although the end result is simply down to how well the developers have managed to implement the UI and control system on a controller, rather than any kind of hardware limitation. Secondly, that console gamers are, generally speaking, not looking for this kind of experience. PC gamers are spoilt for choice when it comes to turn-based strategy and there’s a lot of gems I’ve missed being a console gamer but that’s just how the cookie crumbles. A quick look at Steam’s games selection right now will show you a glut of quality turn-based games already available, both old and new. Truth is I've never really been an avid PC gamer. I've flirted with it once or twice but for me, playing a lot of other style games also, I prefer the intuitive feel of a controller and to be seated in front of my large screen TV rather than at a desk with a monitor.

The Civilisation Series

The Civilisation franchise (as is the common term now) has several iterations but it was Civilisation 4 (PC) and Civilisation Revolution (Xbox 360) that I played the most.

Civilisation 4 has absolutely enormous depth, especially so when you include the 2 expansion packs that are available for it: Warlords and Beyond the Sword. The latter even included a new game mechanic called Corporations. You could easily spend months and even years playing this game, getting to know the finer details of the system, and still you would be challenged. I spent a phenomenal amount of hours playing this title and had many mornings late for work just because I just had to take one more turn...

For those of you unfamiliar with the Civilisation series (where have you been!) here's a brief synopsis of the gameplay's method: After you've chosen your Leader (think Alexander the Great or Queen Victoria of England) you are placed on a region of the randomly generated map with just a couple of starting units depending on your chosen Leader. In most cases you would start off with one Warrior unit and one Settler unit. The first thing you’d do is place your settler somewhere in the local terrain then you can turn that initial settler unit into your first city. Once that's done the game really begins. From here you'll take your fledgling civilisation and nurture it, create more settlers to found new city's, workers to work the land, archers to defend you city’s walls. Grow an empire, raise an army, found religions and send missionaries abroad, make treaty's and trade deals, make enemies and allies, defend your territory and vanquish your foes. All of this across the river of time taking your civilisation through human technological advancement, from stone-age man to the modern world. Crikey! There’s a lot going on there but for me It just doesn't get any better than that.

Civilisation Revolution was the console version of the Civilisation series released in 2008 on PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo DS. I had many, many fun hours with this game, getting to 100% completion and only finally putting it down a few months before the release of the PS4 in fact. It was a fantastic console realisation of the Civilisation series but more importantly here, what Revolutions shows us is that a stand-out turn-based strategy game and/or Civilisation title could be done on console and was not the preserve of PC gamers alone. Thank goodness!

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

XCOM:Enemy Unknown is another great example of the genre, funnily enough from the same company that brought us the Civilisation series; they do know what they're doing there. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is set in the not-too-distant future where Earth is assaulted by alien forces and it's up to YOU to fight back the invasion and save Earth and humanity. You construct a team equipped with the latest technology and battle against ever-increasingly devious alien forces. In Enemy Unknown you will be harshly punished for your mistakes; sending rookie recruits off too far of your flanks or leaving them under-protected will see them quickly succumb to the merciless invaders. Get that rookie through a mission or two though and they'll start earning rank, becoming one of 4 initial classes: Assault, Support, Heavy and Sniper. As you begin to push back the tide of alien invaders you'll learn some of their secrets too, even turning their technology back at them. After you've researched any recovered items you will begin to create new technology and weapons and maybe even unlock unknown human brain potential! How cool is that? Very, would be my answer.

What is it about turn-based strategy games I love?

In most cases it's the sheer depth of games systems and mechanics I find irresistible. More often than not I'll start many different game saves with varying amounts of progress to simply explore the possibilities of said system before deciding on my favoured method of progression. Only then getting on to actually attempting to beat the game. Makes me feel like a mad scientist sitting in front of his latest crazy contraption, pulling levers and flicking switches in all sorts of combinations to experiment and discover actually “what can this machine do?” Move, counter-move, analyse, move again. “Check and mate” or as more frequently happens “Check and, oh, darn it, I died...”. A significant portion of how you learn the system of these games is done on a trial and error basis. If one method fails you'll need to analyse what you did wrong, go back, make adjustments to your strategy and try again. Repeat until success. Getting it right and succeeding is all about learning from your mistakes and as long as you do that you're on the right path to success. Once you overcome any particular hurdle though you'll find a renewed spirit and surge forward into unknown territory. Of course, that is until you encounter the next hurdle because there are normally many, but that's the challenge right?

Another large part of the attraction for me is the number-crunching. Yep, I was one of those at school who actually enjoyed algebra simply for the sake of the puzzle. It’s about the moment of satisfaction you get when you make that breakthrough and overcome the obstacle. It’s also that I just can't help getting excited by feeling the grind in my brain weighing up all the possible min/max’s and probable eventualities or outcomes. I know, I know, I probably should get out more, but then who's going to rule the world?

Current Turn-Based Strategy Games on the PS4

At the time of writing this the only significant turn-based strategy game I’m aware of on the PS4 is Natural Doctrine. You could say Natural Doctrine is a lot like marmite, you'll either love it or hate it. Personally I have enjoyed my time with it but make no mistake, it's a tough one. Incredibly unforgiving in fact but that's just part and parcel of turn-based strategy gaming for me, although this title definitely pushes what’s reasonable and fun to the limit. The smallest mistake or error of judgement in Natural Doctrine will see only one of your party members fall before it's game over, requiring you to reload your last save and try again. And so, not for the feint of heart but reasonably rewarding nonetheless. Certainly worth some consideration if you're a turn-based strategy fan.

There are a few other games worth mentioning here. Not strictly turn-based strategy games in the true sense of the definition but most definitely offering a certain degree of strategy and/or turn-based mechanics. Those I’m thinking of are Child of Light and Transistor.

Child of Light has a turn-based combat mechanic that works really well. Each character in your party, as well as the enemy’s, works in battle at different speeds on a timeline. It is the combination of different party members, and hence speeds, that become the critical factor for success. The wrong party members will see your hopes of success in battle quickly dashed but the opposite is also true, so mix up your party a little if you come across a difficult enemy or boss.

Transistor I absolutely fell in love with and it still makes me feel warm inside thinking about it’s silicone logic based thematics. From the very beginning I became totally enraptured with the art style and music and was swept away with the story and world created within. The strategy aspect comes from assigning the Transistors powers which you unlock as you level up. There are 16 different ‘functions’ which can be combined in a surprising array of variations and it’s these variable combinations that provide the strategy aspect. Seriously, If you’ve read this far and have not played the game go and get it.

What's to come for PS4?

This is the best bit. There's are some potentially fantastic strategy games in the pipeline for the PS4 and here's a short list of those I’m aware of below:

Blood Bowl 2 should be released sometime in 2015 and is a faithful digital recreation of the original Games Workshop board game. Set in the Warhammer Universe Blood Bowl is basically a game of American Football but with menace. It’s a turn-based sports game where you start with a team of the race of your choice (think Halflings, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Chaos beings and more. Humans are there too of course) and then take that team through tournaments and league’s, much the same way you would do with any sports league based game. The difference with Blood Bowl though is the sheer downright nastiness of the competition. Nothing is off the cards as you use every single dirty trick in the book (as long as the referee isn’t looking!) to get that ball in the touchdown zone. This is no simple task though and Blood Bowl is a dangerous sport where it’s not unheard of for players to die on the field, maybe even getting eaten by ravenous trolls.

The Banner Saga I’m very, very much looking forward to this title. The art, the music, the Nordic theme and the promise of a great story to unfold. Originally released on PC some time ago now and a sequel is already in the works but we should get to enjoy the original on PS4 in the next few months before the follow up a short while later.

Skulls of the Shogun is a quirky little turn-based strategy game with a classical Japanese theme which looks a lot of fun. It was released for PC some time ago now and we are overdue for the release on the PS4. Hopefully it will make an appearance sometime soon. Potential PS+ title I’m thinking.

Most of these should be out this year (2015) pending any production delays of course and I'm going to be checking out all of them, particularly Blood Bowl and The Banner Saga.

A Little Wishful Thinking

Looking elsewhere there are some fantastic strategy games that really could do with a PS4 port. Massive Chalice is a turn-based strategy game that I’ve come across in recent months and hope to see it come over to PS4 from it’s native PC format. If we’re lucky we may see this released alongside or shortly after the promised Xbox One version. Another that has grabbed my attention is a roguelike turn-based RPG called Darkest Dungeon and I’m pleased to say this should be with us on the PS4 in the near future although that’s not a confirmed reality just yet.

Ok, that’s pretty much it. Some questions though:

Do you prefer real-time strategy to turn-based? If so why?
How do you find console and PC strategy games compare? Can console iterations even compare to those released on PC?
What do you love or even hate about the genre? Why so?

Yes, that’s definitely it. Your turn.

Last edited:

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Ok, so I thought I'd give writing a little article a shot. Turned out to be not so little :snicker Been some time since writing anything like this but it seemed to turn out better than I expected in the end. Cut a fair bit out, down from just over 3000 words but I guess a lot of that was waffle, that's why it's gone. Could've perhaps dome a little more trimming with certain sections but after already trimming so much i thought 'what the hell' and left it at that for now.

For some reason those were the largest pictures I could upload. Could've done with one or two more and also being bigger but the forum wouldn't let me upload those any more or any larger.

Any and all constructive criticism is welcome by the way. Go right ahead in fact, It's the only way to learn I guess. I just hope it's as interesting to read as it was fun to write.

Thanks for reading! :icon_thumleft:

edit: for the record, I editied the main document to add the '[' but accidentally deleted the article when saving :Smiley3: so replaced article with local saved document, there may be minor differences from initially posted but bulk is identical.

Last edited:

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
Well first off let me say thank you for writing an opinion piece :) Always glad to see people writing, either reviews or opinions (but being as I set up the opinion section and all, kinda glad you wrote an opinion piece :) ) First I'll answer your questions.

I prefer turn-based because I suck at real time games. I always had to cheat in games like AOE.

PC games will always have the leg up on strategy games as keyboard and mouse will always work better for a game that requires precise and quick action over limited buttons and generally no hotkeys.

I love the idea of planning out movements like it's a game of chess, a fight 15 minutes in can end solely on a poor placement or a series of mistakes. Every move has to be deliberate.

As for what was written, I definitely like a lot of the games you mentioned. A big civ fan and XCOM guy, these kinds of games feel too few and far between as much of the market caters towards shooters and action titles. I appreciate the info on ps4 games, I knew nothing of these and will probably investigate Natural Doctrine. Turn based games are some of my favorite, so I did enjoy seeing why you liked the series as many of the same reasons are why I liked turn based games. I did a lot of number crunching back when I played Final Fantasy Tactics on the hard mode version of a fan made mod.

Ok, now for some quick thoughts for your future submissions, because I totally hope you continue to make more :) When I created the opinions idea, the reason I wanted a 500-2000 word limit was a lot of the time a person's opinion can be summed up in less words than you would think. What happens when you're passionate about something is you generally will go on and on about the topic when a lot of the information is not necessarily pertinent to the topic.

The limit forces you to trim down on sections where you potentially elaborate too much of the information and focus solely on the meat and potatoes of the topic. I think with this topic you spend a lot of time educating the reader on different games, rather than discuss why you love turn based strategy games. You do answer all the questions that you ask the reader at the end, but with all these different games being mentioned throughout the piece, the article becomes more about different games that are out or coming out rather than your love of the genre if that makes sense.

Oh, and I do not see the picture that you said you used, so I'm curious how you implemented it in your post? As a poster who has used a lot of pics, I always use an imaging site to host the pic and then link it to the site, if you for example simply drag it onto the page, it may not be stored properly.

I hope I did not discourage you from writing in the future! I did enjoy your piece and I thought I would just share a few thoughts with you!

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Sir_Scud, post: 6422267]When I created the opinions idea, the reason I wanted a 500-2000 word limit was a lot of the time a person's opinion can be summed up in less words than you would think. What happens when you're passionate about something is you generally will go on and on about the topic when a lot of the information is not necessarily pertinent to the topic.[/QUOTE]
Yes, sure, guilty of that here :snicker Looking back I can see where there's room for improvement there.

[QUOTE="Sir_Scud, post: 6422267]The limit forces you to trim down on sections where you potentially elaborate too much of the information and focus solely on the meat and potatoes of the topic. I think with this topic you spend a lot of time educating the reader on different games, rather than discuss why you love turn based strategy games. You do answer all the questions that you ask the reader at the end, but with all these different games being mentioned throughout the piece, the article becomes more about different games that are out or coming out rather than your love of the genre if that makes sense.[/QUOTE]
Yes, makes total sense.

[QUOTE="Sir_Scud, post: 6422267]Oh, and I do not see the picture that you said you used[/QUOTE]
Yeah I had issues with that. I will sort myself out a hosting site for future use.

[QUOTE="Sir_Scud, post: 6422267]I hope I did not discourage you from writing in the future! I did enjoy your piece and I thought I would just share a few thoughts with you![/QUOTE]
Not discouraged at all Scud, encouraged rather, certainly when I can get that sort of criticism. All points taken on board and I can in fact see exactly what you mean straight away. I do intend to do some more and I'll take what this has taught me forward.
Thanks again :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
After some ruminating today I realised this has taught me what a skilful art it is to write a structured, concise, informative and entertaining article and also a lot of respect for those that can and do. It's actually a lot harder than it sounds.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
Good read!

I am personally a Turn-based strategy fan myself. Civ 1 being my first real gaming experience - have played all the games ever since.

Currently enjoying Xcom:EW and trying to replay some of the total war series and waiting for Tropico 5 on PS4. (not sure if they can't)

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Indeedy that was a really good read and a lot of effort has been put into that, nice one. :)

I have always been a big TBS fan since the days of Civ 1, Heroes of Might and Magic, Fallout, Black Isle, and King's Bounty. The amount of strategy all of the games gave are really intricate and always made me think ahead of time what could happen and so I would need to prepare for certain eventualities. RTS is basically the same except obviously it's real-time and it requires for you to think on your feet. TBS allows for something much grander but RTS allows for a more free flowing personality so they both have their pluses. In recent years RTS games have been close to death however last year and this year already it seems that the genre is about to make a revival (hooray!).

Civ Revolution was great on the consoles but compared to the PC version it was heavily gimped. If I recall the largest map you could have on Revolution was a medium sized map on Civ IV, the Earth map on Civ IV I believe was more than 10x the size of the largest Civ Rev map. This is why I feel where the large 4x TBS games just can't work on consoles due to the sheer amount of general processing required that consoles will never have, but for what Firaxis managed to do with Civ Rev they certainly deserve to be commended as it's brilliantly done. Did it sell well at all on consoles?

If you haven't played the new King's Bounty series, Civ V, or even the magnanimous Total War series then I suggest that you do (especially Shogun II: Total war). If you want perhaps the grandest scale of any 4x TBS game then I suggest Empire: Total War as it spans most of the globe. The Total War series is the biggest number crunching series to date, or maybe it might be Europa Universallis but that's a grand strategy game.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
I've got CK2 and EU4 - but I've never been able to get into them. TBF, I haven't given them their fair shot. Seems like a lot of individual person/character micromanaging. Which I don't mind but I need to keep track somehow! :p

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
[QUOTE="MajorMajor, post: 6422300]
Not discouraged at all Scud, encouraged rather, certainly when I can get that sort of criticism. All points taken on board and I can in fact see exactly what you mean straight away. I do intend to do some more and I'll take what this has taught me forward.Thanks again :icon_thumright:[/QUOTE]

No worries! That's what I learned when I tried writing. Very much a true talent to make words flow smooth and interesting. You still had a good piece here with plenty of stuff to discuss. I looked a little into Natural Doctrine. So hard to tell if I would like it or not though. Look forward to the next piece :)

[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6422400]
Civ Revolution was great on the consoles but compared to the PC version it was heavily gimped. If I recall the largest map you could have on Revolution was a medium sized map on Civ IV, the Earth map on Civ IV I believe was more than 10x the size of the largest Civ Rev map. This is why I feel where the large 4x TBS games just can't work on consoles due to the sheer amount of general processing required that consoles will never have, but for what Firaxis managed to do with Civ Rev they certainly deserve to be commended as it's brilliantly done. Did it sell well at all on consoles?
[/QUOTE]

It did sell pretty well iirc. As much as I loved Revolution on 360, once I learned that the AI just teamed up on you, it ruined it for me. I'm pretty sure with the way the game was coded the AI never truly fought each other and would not eliminate each other from the game. Generally you always had one or two opponents waging war on you while another went for like a culture victory. Maybe the way I played, but usually ended with me going the war route as the constant fighting made me slow down in tech or culture or whatever I may have been pursuing.

You have also given me a few games to check out!

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6422370]Good read!

I am personally a Turn-based strategy fan myself. Civ 1 being my first real gaming experience - have played all the games ever since.

Currently enjoying Xcom:EW and trying to replay some of the total war series and waiting for Tropico 5 on PS4. (not sure if they can't)[/QUOTE]
Thanks very much Admartian, I'm really pleased you found it a good read. My worst fear is to write something just plain boring :snicker

Had my eye on Tropico a little but there's too many other games coming up for me to buy in near future. Definitely sounds fun though! Who doesn't want to be a dictator? Pass me the cigar!

[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6422400]Indeedy that was a really good read and a lot of effort has been put into that, nice one. :smile:

I have always been a big TBS fan since the days of Civ 1, Heroes of Might and Magic, Fallout, Black Isle, and King's Bounty. ...TBS allows for something much grander but RTS allows for a more free flowing personality so they both have their pluses. In recent years RTS games have been close to death however last year and this year already it seems that the genre is about to make a revival (hooray!).[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot Varsh, appreciated. Yes, the grander experience of TBS is what got me. I enjoyed some RTS like Command and Conquer but because of the grander TBS style i left them behind. RTS about to make a revival? What titels are you looking out for then?

[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6422400]Civ Revolution was great on the consoles but compared to the PC version it was heavily gimped. If I recall the largest map you could have on Revolution was a medium sized map on Civ IV, the Earth map on Civ IV I believe was more than 10x the size of the largest Civ Rev map. This is why I feel where the large 4x TBS games just can't work on consoles due to the sheer amount of general processing required that consoles will never have, but for what Firaxis managed to do with Civ Rev they certainly deserve to be commended as it's brilliantly done. Did it sell well at all on consoles?[/QUOTE]

I hear you. Didn't consider the hardware limitation for the Civ Rev but if it really was that demanding I guess you're right. Not my speciality but i appreciate you know your stuff when it comes to PC's and all that so fair play.

You're right about map size for sure, that distinction I can remember clearly. On PC they were vastly larger and often I did find that fact a real challenge, those PC Civ games were absolutely epic.

[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6422400]If you haven't played the new King's Bounty series, Civ V, or even the magnanimous Total War series then I suggest that you do (especially Shogun II: Total war). If you want perhaps the grandest scale of any 4x TBS game then I suggest Empire: Total War as it spans most of the globe. The Total War series is the biggest number crunching series to date, or maybe it might be Europa Universallis but that's a grand strategy game.[/QUOTE]

I definitely do want to check some of those out. I'd need a PC with the guts though so that's something to I need to sort out. I actually do have a PC case and power supply I bought some time ago but became unemployed and skint so the build never got done. Still here and waiting though, maybe sometime later this year.

Civ 5 I'd like to check but would probably skip it for Civ:BE because that looks really good to me, love the sci-fi theme. Unless of course Civ 5 really is worth checking out. I read a lot of mixed reviews about it but If you're advocating it then that's a good enough endorsement for me. Kings Bounty however looks fantastic and I'd buy that straight away, I'd really be into that for sure, totally love the fantasy style, take me back to D&D days. Hmmm, now I'm thinking I should get that PC build done sooner rather than later. Thanks again mate :icon_thumleft:

And both of you, here's a :cupcake: for sharing with me.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
King's Bounty will run on pretty much anything so you should be fine with up to an 8 year old PC.

As for RTS games coming out (or have come out) in 2015 then check this:
  • Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
  • Blitzkrieg 3
  • Clockwork Empires
  • Etherium
  • Grey Goo
  • Homeworld Remastered Collection
  • Homeworld: Shipbreakers
  • Kingdom Under Fire II
  • Satellite Reign
  • SpellForce 3
  • StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void
  • Stonehearth
I'll stop there. As you can see though there's plenty more to come as that wasn't even half of the list! There's tonnes of TBS games coming out too this year. It seems like Strategy games as a whole is making a massive comeback this year. :)

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Not heard of that mate no. Sounds ok. I like the tagline "Save Humanity. Turn a Profit. Preferably Both " :snicker

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
That's a nice read Major. I like turn based as well I'm just not very good at them. I still enjoy them but I'm super slow playing through a campaign. Maybe that's why I don't do well because I take too long to do things?

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Hey pod, glad you liked it. The beauty of turn-based is that there is no rush, take things at your own pace. Just how I like things. What's your favourite turn-based game? On any platform that is. Hey i'm not great either but I just really enjoy them.

Oct 1, 2014
Blackpool
Great read.

Would Valkyria Chronicles make the list?

I remember playing a bit of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, I think it must have been free on ps+ but I never did more than a handful of missions, kinda on the list to go back too.

Civ 2 was my favourite on the PS1. That music....I had to turn it off in the end.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Valkyria Chronicles is one of my all time favourite games and is my favourite TBS to date so yes it does make the list. ;)

Oct 1, 2014
Blackpool
Yay :-D

When I first got my PS3 in early 2009, I downloaded a load of demo's. One was Valkyria Chronicles, I had no idea what it was about, jumped in and within maybe 30 minutes, I'd gone to the local Blockbusters to buy a copy. VCII was also pretty awesome, was bummed that VCIII never came west.

I'd replay VC if they ever re-released it with trophies.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Fhirald, post: 6423307]Great read.

Would Valkyria Chronicles make the list?

I remember playing a bit of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, I think it must have been free on ps+ but I never did more than a handful of missions, kinda on the list to go back too.

Civ 2 was my favourite on the PS1. That music....I had to turn it off in the end.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reading Fhirald, I'm really pleased you liked it.

Valkyria Chronicles would most definitely make the list :cool: Heard of it but didn't know what it was about until a moment ago when I read a little of the wikipedia page for it. Sounds brilliant, I'd have loved to play it. If that ever gets remastered I think i'll be into that.

XCOM, I'd love to see that come to PS4. We may see something yet.

Civ 2 was my fist civ game too. Yeah some of the music could get tedious but hey, set
the scene eh.

[QUOTE="Fhirald, post: 6423326]One was Valkyria Chronicles, I had no idea what it was about, jumped in and within maybe 30 minutes, I'd gone to the local Blockbusters to buy a copy. [/QUOTE]

Don't you just love that feeling!

Thanks for reading mate.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
Well Valkyria Chronicles was released on PC last year and the port plays miles better than the PS3 version. The only issue with the game is the 720p videos which I can understand, but the game runs beautifully. Oh and did I mention that on Steam it comes with achievements? :)

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Ok, so I know you wrote it in your post Varsh but I never investigated at the time. Now I understand what the hell the term 4x means.

Last edited:

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
I will say Major I was a bit underwhelmed by that trailer, but hard to judge it completely when that's all I've seen. Sounds like there's a lot of work to be done for the game.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Sure, I can understand that. I like the look of the fantasy style though and as long as it plays well then it should be fun. A lot of work yet? Sure and of course, this is all guesswork and anticipation and I appreciate that. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Fhirald, post: 6425758]Have you played Natural Doctrine?[/QUOTE]
I have indeed! Even mentioned it in my article above :snicker

Have you? What did you think of it? Have you finished it yet? Or did it break you?

Oct 1, 2014
Blackpool
[QUOTE="MajorMajor, post: 6425766]I have indeed! Even mentioned it in my article above :snicker

Have you? What did you think of it? Have you finished it yet? Or did it break you?[/QUOTE]

I was going to get it as I think it came out at a quiet time. Then I read the reviews and read how hard the game was. I don't mind hard games but from what I read it is super hard. Realised I didn't have the patience and passed on it.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Fhirald, post: 6429815]I was going to get it as I think it came out at a quiet time. Then I read the reviews and read how hard the game was. I don't mind hard games but from what I read it is super hard. Realised I didn't have the patience and passed on it.[/QUOTE]
Fair enough. It is difficult, I wouldn't say super-hard, but maybe more so because of the way that if just one of your party members dies you have to start that whole dungeon/battle again.

It does have it's faults. Like when you have cleared a particular dungeon/battle you have to painstakingly move your party, turn by turn,to the exit point. This is more tiresome for the dungeons that the individual battle sequences to be fair and could've been easily remedied by giving an option to exit the dungeon when all enemies are cleared. They did miss a trick there.

Fair do's mate. There are more turn-based games in the pipeline for PS4 though so that's plus. Happy gaming mate.

Last edited:

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
I've been getting plenty of my TBS fix recently. Been enjoying a couple TBS games in particular: Wasteland 2 and Armello.

Armello. Almost made PS+ a few months back. Shame it didn't because it's worth checking out. This is such a cute little game you could be forgiven thinking it was just a childs game and nothing more. Don't be fooled though, there's some quality strategy to be had here, a very tightly balanced system too. Essentially nothing more than a board game but with card game and RPG mechanics too, making it a far more complex beast that it initially seems. Several different victory conditions, some more difficult than others. Different characters to choose from with different statistics. The overall theme of the game is adorable too. Overall very, very cute and challenging game. Definitely worth checking out for any TBS fans.

Wasteland 2. So, a few hours in I'm loving this game. Everything about it is striking just the right tone with me. Real solid TBS game with a Ottoman Sultan's wealth of options in character creation and gameplay. If you enjoy TBS and you haven't played this game I would absolutely recommend buying this, no question, you will love it. You can quote me on that ;)

I think Wasteland 2 will be making up a large portion of my gaming time from now until the near future. I say the near future because there's something on the horizon that's getting me all excited. That thing is Darkest Dungeon. From the developers:

Darkest Dungeon is a challenging gothic RPG about the stresses of dungeon crawling. You will lead a band of heroes on a perilous side-scrolling descent, dealing with a prodigious number of threats to their bodily health, and worse, a relentless assault on their mental fortitude! Five hundred feet below the earth you will not only fight unimaginable foes, but famine, disease, and the stress of the ever-encroaching dark. Darkest Dungeon focuses on the humanity and psychological vulnerability of the heroes and asks: What emotional toll does a life of adventure take?
I especially like the idea of "a relentless assault on their mental fortitude!" which is the affliction system. This is kinda like a 2nd health bar which will gain stress from certain moves, spells or other game mechanics. When that stress bar is full that particular party member will start to lose their minds and have negative affects on your party. Real interesting idea I've not seen before but fit's the gothic-horror theme really nicely.
Rumoured to be coming to PS4/Vita in the spring, DD has been on my radar for some time now. Since it's early-access release on steam I've been keeping tabs on this and it's looking great :eek: Really excited to play. Been watching a few youtube vids to learn a little more about the game. This fella Baer's vid's are great for that, check them out if interested. Here's part 1:

[video=youtube;OF1uhwxh8tk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF1uhwxh8tk&list=PLLdwsyBd_Qp3hz23RLYozEWn HnSXZKsBB[/video]

Last edited:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
I got wasteland 2 a couple of days ago. It was on sale and I just couldn't pass it up.

It'd be interesting to see when the Vita version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown Plus will be out. Hopefully this year.

Last edited: