[OPINION] Sharing My Love for Turn-Based Strategy

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6501338]I got wasteland 2 a couple of days ago. It was on sale and I just couldn't pass it up.

I'd be interesting to see when the Vita version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown Plus will be out. Hopefully this year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah me too. I saw Wasteland at that sale price and couldn't resist. Bargain.

X-Com on Vita should be awesome. Loved it on the Xbox360, great game. I've been on the fence about buying a Vita lately. If 1 or 2 more decent titles come out soon I may well treat myself to one. Enjoy bud.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
That char creation screen of wasteland 2 scared me mate. Try a few builds, attack based crew does alright but how much longer can I survive with that ? I am sure others will come handy when the time comes.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6501501]That char creation screen of wasteland 2 scared me mate.[/QUOTE]
Did you make new characters or make a party from the pre-rolled characters? I used the pre-rolled ones and they're pretty good, well balanced.

Tell you what I did, I realised you could get 2 followers within around 3-4hrs play. With that in mind i built a party using pre-rolled characters to cover all other skill areas and it's shaping up nicely. I went for Pills, Slick, Fade and Hex. Still only a little way into the game though, I think it's pretty massive from what I understand, this ones a slow burner for sure. The RPG is pretty good too, simplistic but works well.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I created my team guess it is not easy task. Gonna try the pre load ones after i am done with other games. Yea, the game seems big, very good game to spend some quality time and replay value.

What difficulty you playing?

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6501512]What difficulty you playing?[/QUOTE]
Just playing on Seasoned difficulty. Didn't want to up the ante without knowing what I was in for. Any harder difficulty might destroy me right now :snicker Yep, the pre-rolled chars are all good.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
I got Darkest Dungeon awhile ago on Steam. That game is both frustrating and fun. As whenever I would get greedy, would spell the end of that dungeon. The stress and health bars, both the positive and negative affects you can gain, and having just enough equipment to get through the place is pretty awesome. Definitely worth it. Would be a great game for my Vita, if I didn't already own it.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Any of you guys playing Invisible Inc.? You really should check it out. Don't give me any of that indie hate malarky, it's a top game. I've played for a couple hours today and I'm hooked :) Fantastic stuff from Klei :icon_thumleft:

edit: Here's some I played a little earlier:

[video=youtube;IuN8CXp6O7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuN8CXp6O7w[/video]

First mission on easiest difficulty. I almost got it right 1st try but lost one character and couldn't get her back to the exit point. Didn't want to leave it like that so started another new game and fared a little better.

Last edited:

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
So, just for the record Darkest Dungeon's PS4/Vita release has been pushed a little further back. Now expected around August 2016. Seems so far away ... :cry:

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Dipping into Wasteland 2 again. Had some decent success and progression with pre-rolled characters but wanted to try making my own. Trouble is it's a very complex system and making the wrong choice could potentially gimp your character builds before they've even got started.

Reading this Shingo? Try having a look here:

[video=youtube;lHdTx_6PCLQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdTx_6PCLQ[/video]

You could watch hours and hours of videos and read reams and reams of posts to find what you're looking for but this 15 minute clip works for me. Comes up with 4 character types and builds them with decent optimisation. He's even made a nice quick reference google speadsheet here if you can't be arsed to watch the vid. Bear in mind it does depend somewhat on making certain NPC choices in your playthrough but I'm Ok with that. This is the kind of game that requires intimate knowledge to forge forward with confidence. I don't have time for that :)

Another couple of his videos for the uninitiated:

Getting Started, Your First 2 Hours
and
How To Handle Combat

Some basics but pretty helpful stuff. Good job Mal :icon_thumleft: