[Opinion] Sony is pushing their own demise

Apr 24, 2013
I find it more than frustrating and actually a little insulting that Sony would lock content to specific accounts on the Vita when the PS3 has had no problem switching users for precisely that since its release. I purchased a digital copy of Mortal Kombat for the Vita even though I already had it for the PS3 because it was a title I recognized and wanted more from the game since I had already beaten the PS3 copy. To my disappointment I found that not only were the graphics scaled down for the Vita, but it was almost an exact copy of the PS3 version with absolutely no additions and nothing done different other than it's online matchmaking being slightly faster. Cross system integration doesn't exist between the games (and if it does I have yet to see it) and now I come to find that since I recently switched the account my Vita system is registered to, I can't play Mortal Kombat unless I repeat this process and stick to my other account. I find this to be an aggressively intrusive move on MY purchases. Why would you lock content to user accounts as opposed to releasing a patch that supports multiple users on one system? It's obvious Sony is in the market to make money, but its a slap in the face when they do things that blatantly disregards the consumer despite how much money they have repetitively expected people to pay. It took 3 generations of Playstation 3s for them to solve the failing blu ray drive issue and they've done nothing but push this extremely low standard that claims first or second generation models will usually have "bugs" or "kinks". This leaves me with an obvious choice of not buying a Playstation 4 for several years until they've released their "slimmer" model that will no doubt follow the initial system's release some time down the road after the PS4 has suffered overheating issues, broken disk drives, or some other form of faulty hardware. If a patch isn't released by mid June, I will be trading in my Playstation Vita. I can't imagine who would think that locking content to user accounts was a good idea. I'm half inclined to boycott Sony altogether, they've pulled some pretty questionable moves in the past and I get the fact that a gaming system is a commodity but not everyone who owns one has money to throw away so they can feel secure that people aren't sharing their games with one another. The way I see it, they stand more to gain than to lose by simply taking losses in one aspect and not accepting them in others. Support multiple users, but lock content and accounts to the vita system, it's that easy. The memory cards are already extremely overpriced and now they've essentially screwed me out of 40 dollars for not wanting to stick to one account when they themselves supported the creation of multiples. Sony has always been the best at what they do and I've often seen them as the Apple corporation of the gaming industry, but just like Apple, they make harsh decisions that affect all users of their products and inevitably leads to people searching elsewhere for the same type of products. Apple's got Android and Sony's got Nintendo and Microsoft. I still own my first generation PS3 and its blu ray drive crapped out after only a year. The ENTIRE selling point of the first generation was that it was compatible with PS2 games and after a year of use, it seems like they never really had any intention on allowing gamers that luxury. I use mine now for digital content only, I've since swapped out the 60 GB hard drive for a 500 GB one and it works fine with everything else other than playing physical copies. I've been a loyal customer of Sony products since the original Playstation's release and even before that enjoying their portable cassette or CD players. They've made great products, but as we really are entering the "digital age" they seem set on pushing, they've proven themselves inept on maintaining their grip on the lead role of technological innovation and ingenuity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
In regards to the Vita, the cross-play function is something that truly hasn't developed. I feel the true intentions of it will make it to PS4, when all games can be played via Remote Play. While it does suck that the Vita is tied to one account, I think there will be a lot more going on in terms of what you can do next gen. Graphically, it's pretty good for a handheld. But the one account thing is something I don't think they will budge on. Just like when content could be shared on 5 consoles, Sony started to see a trend that attacked their profitability. So I think keeping the Vita to one account gets people used to that idea for the future.

I too had a faulty blu-ray drive in my first gen ps3. It pissed me off that the system completely worked, but with the tiny 40 GB HDD, it was hardly worth keeping as a digital only device. But it's honestly the way the tech is heading...unfortunately.

Good read. It's been entered.

Apr 24, 2013
I'm not trying to bring Sony down or anything, but you gotta wonder what's going through the mind of someone who has the audacity to charge 80 dollars for a 32 GB sd card. Even if you charged ten dollars per gigabyte like most sd card manufacturers, that still doesn't make sense. You're basically paying for Sony to manufacture custom SD cards so you can't replicate or hack them. Yea, sure they lose money if people are hacking their systems and stealing games....but how many people really know how to do that? Better yet, what do they get? Out dated PS one games running on an emulator? They wouldn't have to worry about that if they dropped the price of the system and the memory cards drastically, release a patch for the system software that detects emulators or any kind of tampering, and refused repair on hacked devices. They're not fooling anyone, "hacking" shouldn't really be a huge issue to one of the world's leading tech companies. Some of the greatest "hackers" in the world work for them. They use this as an excuse to beef up prices and screw over first generation adopters of each system. It's the same story told time and time again. They release a system without games that has flaws they didn't correct before its release, and instead of being the first to embrace the latest tech, you end up being the first guinea pig to test their full proof plan of making you pay more money for something that doesn't quite deliver the way they say it will. It's a marketing scheme, make it sound nice, but build what's cost effective. All the Hardware going into the ps4, you know for a fact it's going to have overheating issues. And thanks Sir_Scud an old friend of mine told me about this site about 2 years ago and I've been reading weekly every since. Keep up the great work.