[OT] Anthem

StevenW

General Manager
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
This one is firmly on our radars. Looks like a Destiny rip-off, but loving the look of the game world.

We've got all the details on the new sci-fi shooter from Bioware, including Anthem gameplay details, trailers and other news.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I forgot all about this game. I am sure it will be a micro-transaction nightmare.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I like the idea, but there's no chance I will pre-order this game. It's released by EA and for some reason that makes me worried. ;)

If the game turns out to have a good amount of (good) content and isn't a "micro-transaction nightmare" (as Lethal said), I might be interested in the game.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
EA kills anything they touch these days. FIFA still has balance issues that they cannot seem to fix every year. FIFA 17 was horrible when it came to through passes, and players making runs off the ball. This season they have corrected some of those issues, but messed up the defensive end. Jockey is still dead.

Bioware used to be a guarantee that you would get a great game, but not any more. EA has been messing up for years, and the direction they are going with Wilson and the loot boxes seems to be one they are committed to in the long term because it is an easier way to make money without making a great product. Ultimate team and its derivatives are now the cash cow that makes that money for EA, problem is that there is talk that this is something that now needs regulation, and should that come in, EA will be in far more financial problem than any other publisher simply because of the way they are structured right now.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Bioware used to be a guarantee that you would get a great game, but not any more.
Sadly, this can't be more true.

I absolutely loved DA:O, the characters were unique, and each was distinct. Then with Mass Effect, watching Mordin ride that elevator up, never to see him again, was heart aching!

With Inquisition, we kinda got to see what the 'main' Bioware team is capable of these days, and Inquisition was mediocrity at its finest. Bland characters, with next to no character in them, and the story crafting prowess of a wet mop... You could play DA:O and never even know Lelianna was a scheming little shit, she could straight up just get dead too! You could end the game thinking she was just a nun. But in Inquisition, the "characters" pretty much have massive billboards on their foreheads detailing what little depth they have.

I have next to no hope for Anthem. Would like to be wrong... but EA hasn't suddenly done a massive reshuffle to prioritise new games. All indication seems to point towards them doubling down on their bullshit.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010

I absolutely loved DA:O, the characters were unique, and each was distinct. Then with Mass Effect, watching Mordin ride that elevator up, never to see him again, was heart aching!

With Inquisition, we kinda got to see what the 'main' Bioware team is capable of these days, and Inquisition was mediocrity at its finest. Bland characters, with next to no character in them, and the story crafting prowess of a wet mop... You could play DA:O and never even know Lelianna was a scheming little shit, she could straight up just get dead too! You could end the game thinking she was just a nun. But in Inquisition, the "characters" pretty much have massive billboards on their foreheads detailing what little depth they have.

I have next to no hope for Anthem. Would like to be wrong... but EA hasn't suddenly done a massive reshuffle to prioritise new games. All indication seems to point towards them doubling down on their bullshit.
At some point in time, it will be too much and people will move in another direction.

Publishers have been going loot box crazy, and most of these are wired into the main system and progression to the point where loot boxes now form one of the biggest revenue streams on games. EA has mastered it, Activision Blizzard especially if you look at the direction Call of Duty and Destiny are headed is not far behind. Microsoft had elements of this on Forza, so it is something that is a bother, and look at NBA2k18's my career.

The story driven, deep gameplay is now dead because there is far more focus on nickel and dime-ing the gamer, making a game where you are looking at every opportunity to make a buck instead of making a game that is truly great and that can stand on its own two feet. That is why Horizon Zero Dawn is such a great showcase this generation, games like The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and Sunset Overdrive et al. These games show that it is still possible for great games to be made so long as the developer has freedom to go out there and make a great title. It was one of the reasons I did not like DLC, it was always a slippery slope. So you now have day one DLC, i.e content that should have been in the game but will be monetized at launch. You have season passes and developers now releasing threadbare games and fleshing them out over time like No Mans Sky, Destiny 2, or Street Fighter V (Not only was it threadbare for a fighter, but unbalanced up to this season where most of the issues have been solved).

In some ways, I think that the direction EA has taken is somewhat good for the industry because it is a path of self destruction. Activision and Bungie have messed up Destiny 2 to the point where a lot of the community believe it is beyond repair. It is beyond reason that a former gold standard developer will be spending most of this year trying to repair a game that released just last year. Sometimes, things really have to get worse before they get better. My hope is that legislation passes and this loot box craze is heavily taxed, and/or heavily regulated. That would be one way of getting developers back to focusing on what matters (great games).

BTW, EA has doubled down. Look at their lineup. Mostly sports games, A Way Out and Anthem.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Funny thing is that the guy who made EA so much money with the loot box craze now heads it. It is unlikely that they can have a correction with him as their head.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
When they revealed that trailer or gameplay as they say was running in real time! I thought wow looks awesome but I wasn't gonna fall for that hype. We've all been there where we fall for something we see right away!! but with downgrades an graphical downgrades happening once release comes, it's to much to jump on right now! Don't believe anything just yet. Full of loot boxes & micro transactions can an has been a problem without them even mentioning it on stage!! How many times has it happened when they don't say anything about it?? That's where SW Battlefront ll game comes to mind! Hid all that info until we found out about it. Pay 2 win full of loot boxes crates and micro transactions. No way I'm falling for that again!! Believing in something but had hidden information from us. EA all over.

Hedon

Jan 19, 2018
When they revealed that trailer or gameplay as they say was running in real time! I thought wow looks awesome but I wasn't gonna fall for that hype. We've all been there where we fall for something we see right away!! but with downgrades an graphical downgrades happening once release comes, it's to much to jump on right now! Don't believe anything just yet. Full of loot boxes & micro transactions can an has been a problem without them even mentioning it on stage!! How many times has it happened when they don't say anything about it?? That's where SW Battlefront ll game comes to mind! Hid all that info until we found out about it. Pay 2 win full of loot boxes crates and micro transactions. No way I'm falling for that again!! Believing in something but had hidden information from us. EA all over.
Anthem was hopefully going to be my GOTY this year until it was delayed :(. If EA puts micro-transactions in the game, and they make them optional and not pay to win, I don't care.

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
Lose all that non sense that was all riddled with what they did with star wars bf2 because they don't want the same thing happening!!! I mean Disney willing to pull the rights from EA over that controversy of pay to win and micro transactions loot crates, don't you see it has an effect maybe not with cosmetics but with other stuff that makes us pay to play! Why should I keep paying when iv already bought the game??
Shouldn't be forced, shouldn't even be around, it shouldn't even exist. All because its another way of making £££££$$$$$ but there are other ways that gamers don't mind is DLC, Season Pass i dont mind those, so gaming needs to cut the crap with loot boxes crates and pay 2 win.
Anthem was hopefully going to be my GOTY this year until it was delayed :(. If EA puts micro-transactions in the game, and they make them optional and not pay to win, I don't care.

acryllicaltair

Dedicated Member
Feb 24, 2010
Lose all that non sense that was all riddled with what they did with star wars bf2 because they don't want the same thing happening!!! I mean Disney willing to pull the rights from EA over that controversy of pay to win and micro transactions loot crates, don't you see it has an effect maybe not with cosmetics but with other stuff that makes us pay to play! Why should I keep paying when iv already bought the game??
Shouldn't be forced, shouldn't even be around, it shouldn't even exist. All because its another way of making £££££$$$$$ but there are other ways that gamers don't mind is DLC, Season Pass i dont mind those, so gaming needs to cut the crap with loot boxes crates and pay 2 win.
EA keeps getting worse each year, and Activision is not far behind.

Bioware and Bungie were about as money on quality games as one could get before they EA and Activision became their publishers. You look at what BioWare puts out and it is a shell of what they used to put out. You look at the nonsense that Bungie now puts out where Destiny does not have a good story, try playing the PvE elements in Destiny 2 and you no longer have the crazy AI like they used to have in Halo (and you can literally go through whole levels without having to shoot, or have AI simply move slowly forward to you waiting for you to kill them).

And then you have the DLC. Battlefront 2 DLC was crazy, as were the loot crates. Bungie does the same by simply cutting story content that should be there on day 1 and dumping it into DLC that is not content or feature rich.

I personally choose to vote with my wallet on such. The only game I play from EA at current is FIFA, and I do not invest in things like Ultimate Team. I also do not see anything that is being made by Activision that would warrant me to go on and make a purchase.

Xraein

Dedicated Member
May 6, 2008
Venus

Indeed Dragon Age: Origin was the best game ever made by EA. The story and the characters they made me feel as if they were real people! It's such a shame Dragon Age 2, and Dragon Age Inquisition were nothing like it :mad: and same thing goes for Mass Effect 3 And Andromeda!

I can't believe EA never learned from their mistake with DA 2! As for Anthem I expect nothing from it, it will not be different than Andromeda .. of course with so many patches to download as always.

I'm normally optimistic, but honestly I have no hope this time. (n):cautious: