[OT] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007

I have played a few hours of this game so far and I am having a blast! I am enjoying this as much as I did Black Flag to be honest.

You can swap between 2 characters whenever you want, except for main missions. You must play as the required character for those missions. I am always using the female character when running around London. Each character has to be upgraded individually too.

The graphics are outstanding as well. Here is a video I recorded showing some game play.

[video=youtube;qmOCxUcS9UY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmOCxUcS9UY[/video]

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
How is the mission variety? Side mission variety too? I'm used to fetch quests, eavesdropping and the chase, tackle, get information type missions.

Does there seem to be more to do that isn't just collectables?

Sent from 2000ft under the crust

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="podsaurus, post: 6483743]How is the mission variety? Side mission variety too? I'm used to fetch quests, eavesdropping and the chase, tackle, get information type missions.

Does there seem to be more to do that isn't just collectables?

Sent from 2000ft under the crust[/QUOTE]

So far it seems to be a good variety of side missions. I have not played enough to really describe the differences just yet. But I am having as much fun with this game as I did with Black Flag.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
Noticed you were on this Lethal, glad you made an [OT] for it.

My thoughts replicate yours, I'm having an absolute blast with it. I never got round to Unity so was ready for another AC. I thought at first I wasn't going to enjoy the horse and kart riding around the streets but it's pretty fun to be fair, especially ramming into enemy karts.

The grapple gun is a welcomed addition too, scaling high buildings or zip lining from point to point is a big time saver for the likes of Viewpoints or getting out of dodge if you're in a pickle!

Combat is a similar but refined experience to older AC games, square to attack, circle to counter and X to break defenses. A combo counter has now been added and if you get a group of enemies near death a pretty cool set piece is played out finishing them all off.

I think (having not played Unity) this is the first time enemies and areas have levels so you have an idea if you stand a chance taking them on. I tried to liberate an area that was level 6, I was level 3 and got absolutely battered lol! Managed to just do it when I was level 5 but was still tough and took 3 recruits with me.

I can't believe the amount of things that can be upgraded and crafted, outfits, weaponry, recruits, the skills etc etc, similar to other AC'S but without going into spoilers it all does seem quite indepth.

Currently at work so will post more later but already can't wait to get back on it. I'm glad the present day segments seem to be kept to a minimum as well, I felt they used to break the immersion too much too often.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I was thinking about making an OT for this game but didn't think it would get much interest so glad someone else decided to! Haven't got the game yet due to the need to save money but from what I can tell it's getting a good reception, few funny glitches but it wouldn't be an AC game without them :lol:

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
The review video for this game must have taken place before the day one patch dropped because damn at some of the bugs in the video I saw. If this game doesn't get a direct sequel, it'll leave a pretty good sized plot hole imo.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Question for those playing. Feel free to spoil stuff for me but may want to put it in spoiler tags for others.

What'st he modern day story like in comparison to earlier AC games (thinking the first couple of games where you're getting into conspiracy stuff)? How much of the story is First Civ type of stuff?

My interest for this series is based around the Templar vs Assassin stuff (making sure they don't get Pieces of Eden and such) and the First Civilization mystery. My hype for the series peaked with The Truth video (escape from the Garden of Eden). I want more of that, less of what we've been getting. It feels like we're getting away from that and it has really ruined my thoughts of this series.

I plan on starting up some videos within the next couple of days so I can get the story, but wouldn't mind a quick rundown to see if that's even worth it.

EDIT: So I've gone through one of the Syndicate cutscene videos on YouTube and it definitely looks like they've done better than the past couple of games in terms of story.

Read about the sales being second lowest next to Rogue and not at all surprised. As interesting as the story looked I'm kind of burnt out. Looking at this game's story I'm definitely interested in the next one. While past games were going nowhere this one not only went somewhere, but set up a story for the next game.

Last edited:

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
@Scheller I've just started sequence 5. When you say modern day story do you mean like in passed games when you came out the Animus and have tasks to do as Desmond? If so, I haven't had any missions yet in present day, they're just cut scenes pretty much expanding upon the story in the search for the piece of Eden in London. In Black Flag I wasn't all that keen on the missions in the present day so this has been a plus for me.

In response to your interest in the Templars v Assassins, this game is driven by that. London is completely taken over by Templars and they have the power throughout the city.

Jacob & Evie the 2 assassins you control have very different objectives within London. Jacob is on a one man mission to create a gang and liberate all the Templar districts. Within the districts are various missions to start getting noticed by the chief Templar of that district and when you've taken over all areas there is then a showdown with that Templar and his gang against you and your gang. Winning liberates that district and becomes Assassin territory.

Evie on the other hand is purely focused in locating the piece of Eden but you can use her to partake in these missions. For instance 1 of the missions is a kidnapp mission so Stealth could he the better option and Evie's Stealth stat is greatly improved with the outfit you can unlock for collecting a certain collectable - the secrets of London (if you want to know more on this, Google for the secrets of London reward).

I'm loving the game so far, when you're carrying out take over missions to liberate a district you actually feel like your achieving something rather than just playing to progress the story. I've paid a bribe to the police to turn a blind eye to some of my activity, upgraded some of my gang abilities to cause problems with enemy weaponry and poisoned the water well to reduce their health :lol: There has been minor passed references to Kenway from AC Black Flag and a mission where you infiltrate a mansion with relating to black flag which was cool.

They've really nailed the combat, you feel like a right bad ass when you start nailing some combos but they've done well so it's not over powering and if you don't counter or break defenses you'll soon be taken out. And some of the finishing sequences from a fight are brutal, just for example with Evie I had my last enemy pinned up on the wall with my blade through his skull slashing away with another, that certainly surprised me.

Plenty more to talk about so going to carry on playing for abit and add some more later :)

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
This is by far the best AC game to date. I love the variety of missions this game offers. I never thought I would be doing paranormal investigations in an Assassin's Creed game lol.

This is the first time since AC2 that I found myself interested in the story characters. The map is large, but not overwhelming. And I love how the map shows you the enemies level of difficulty for that area. This makes it easy for you to control the difficulty of the game. If you want a challenge, then you go to an area of the map that is leveled higher than yourself.

I really have nothing bad to say about this game. It is an amazing turnaround from the awful Unity game. Sort of like going from AC3 to Black Flag. I guess we can expect the next AC game to suck ass now.

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
I started to like it a little but then it got completely thrown off for me because of the stupid skill tree stuff.
If you want to make such a game and make it realistic, don't make a shitty skill tree..

Oh you want to kill 2 people at once? Gotta earn skill points!
Fuck off -.-

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="GazzaGSi, post: 6484276]@Scheller I've just started sequence 5. When you say modern day story do you mean like in passed games when you came out the Animus and have tasks to do as Desmond? If so, I haven't had any missions yet in present day, they're just cut scenes pretty much expanding upon the story in the search for the piece of Eden in London. In Black Flag I wasn't all that keen on the missions in the present day so this has been a plus for me.

In response to your interest in the Templars v Assassins, this game is driven by that. London is completely taken over by Templars and they have the power throughout the city.

Jacob & Evie the 2 assassins you control have very different objectives within London. Jacob is on a one man mission to create a gang and liberate all the Templar districts. Within the districts are various missions to start getting noticed by the chief Templar of that district and when you've taken over all areas there is then a showdown with that Templar and his gang against you and your gang. Winning liberates that district and becomes Assassin territory.

Evie on the other hand is purely focused in locating the piece of Eden but you can use her to partake in these missions. For instance 1 of the missions is a kidnapp mission so Stealth could he the better option and Evie's Stealth stat is greatly improved with the outfit you can unlock for collecting a certain collectable - the secrets of London (if you want to know more on this, Google for the secrets of London reward).

I'm loving the game so far, when you're carrying out take over missions to liberate a district you actually feel like your achieving something rather than just playing to progress the story. I've paid a bribe to the police to turn a blind eye to some of my activity, upgraded some of my gang abilities to cause problems with enemy weaponry and poisoned the water well to reduce their health :lol: There has been minor passed references to Kenway from AC Black Flag and a mission where you infiltrate a mansion with relating to black flag which was cool.

They've really nailed the combat, you feel like a right bad ass when you start nailing some combos but they've done well so it's not over powering and if you don't counter or break defenses you'll soon be taken out. And some of the finishing sequences from a fight are brutal, just for example with Evie I had my last enemy pinned up on the wall with my blade through his skull slashing away with another, that certainly surprised me.

Plenty more to talk about so going to carry on playing for abit and add some more later :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I've had most of the questions answered from looking around on YouTube. I think it's still going to be an AC release I either get for $20 or skip on, especially if they're considering doing another yearly release since I would want to actually be excited about playing the next one. The schedule they are on now is really hurting them.

[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6484312]I started to like it a little but then it got completely thrown off for me because of the stupid skill tree stuff.
If you want to make such a game and make it realistic, don't make a $#@!ty skill tree..

$#@! off -.-[/QUOTE]

Disappointing that's still there from Unity. I guess they thought it would be nice to let the player decide what's important but it's pretty lame that our Assassin's can't already kill two people at once. Same with stuff like smoke grenades (I think that was one of the locked abilities in Unity?).

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6484319]Because the infinite zip line is so realistic lol[/QUOTE]
I know!
That's what I just hate about it..
It's a game that can come across very realistic in my eyes, but things like that and a shitty skill tree ruin it for me...

That is besides the fact that they milked their cow too much already..

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
While I'm not really playing it anymore, I have to say the setting's definitely slick.
I'll get myself to play it.. Some day..

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
I think I've seen enough gameplay to say that I'll pass. There are still too many flaws and things that I don't like. Such as when you kill someone and civilians just sort of stand around aimlessly. Combat doesn't look that different from previous games. This is a step in the right direction but not enough for me to get on board.

Sent from 2000ft under the crust

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
Didn't see much new stuff, but the game looks great, London setting looks cool. Gonna get it sometime later. I just started Black Flag after all.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
My son was playing this for 3 hours and encountered 3 glitches where his character would get stuck. Looks a lot more fun and fluid tho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="podsaurus, post: 6484472]I think I've seen enough gameplay to say that I'll pass. There are still too many flaws and things that I don't like. Such as when you kill someone and civilians just sort of stand around aimlessly. Combat doesn't look that different from previous games. This is a step in the right direction but not enough for me to get on board.

Sent from 2000ft under the crust[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't expect gameplay and it's mechanics to change much in upcoming games. It is what it is. There might be minor changes, like different types of weapons (mortar gun in Unity, tomahawks in III, cane in Sydicate) and equipment (hook blade in Revelations, rope launcher in Syndicate), but I think gameplay is something that's going to mostly be the same. Especially stuff like crowd reactions. Them not responding to you stabbing someone in the gut with your hidden blade is a key gameplay aspect (it's supposed to be a stealth kill, so crowds reacting with shock would alert enemies to what happened).

They really need to take a year or two break, because it's obvious people are getting tired of the gameplay and a good story can only go so far.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
To be fair, they've added quite a bit to the combat to refresh it. Various weapons like knuckle dusters, canes, smaller blades, darts that can be shot into fire pits which causes guards surrounding the fire to be poisoned (refined old poisoned darts), electric and stench bombs etc. But the major thing for me is (may have been in Unity, don't know didn't play it) is the combos which are learned via skill points to get quicker fatalities for instance, get a counter followed by the use of a gun or knife throw, followed by square again to perform different moves than just pressing square. Successful combos increase your XP and depleat enemy health quicker. Then there's the multiple kills with different animations when 2 or more enemies are near death you can perform.

Yes you can mash square and you'll eventually get through but when 10-15 enemies are swarming you, you really need to bring your A game to defeat them. Whether it be breaking their blocks or countering their attacks and mixing up your play style.

Combat wise I don't think there is much left they can do to improve it other than go for something completely different and IMO what they have currently works really well. The levelling system is pretty cool and if you want a challenge go to areas with higher levels than yourself but you'll be lucky to get through a takeover.

I'd say I've logged 30+hours easily now, at sequence 8 of 9, all boroughs taken over and all trophies bar 3 and it's one of the best AC games I can remember. I really enjoyed Black Flag and Syndicate tops it for me. The various types of missions, refined combat, the seamless grapple hook making life so easy to get from A to B, the setting with surprises along the way, both main characters (and their banter), ranking up for better gear, unlocking abilities from the skill tree, enemy ranks, gang upgrades and another timezone you visit etc etc all work exceptionally well and the gameplay is really smooth to go with it all.

Glitches I've come across:
1 bloke hovering like he was still sat on a horse cart in the middle of the road.
I died and got de-synchronised when jumping on to a train.
I died during a mission and a restart at checkpoint would spawn me dying as I'm guessing I reached the checkpoint as I died. Hardly game breaking and each 1 I've experienced once so not exactly common.

I've loved it anyway and will definitely be doing the side missions for associates, some murder investigations have been really interesting so far :)

Last edited:

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
The problem I have with their combat changes is after a while spent on it, it becomes just as easy as the previous games. Black Flag I can show up in Havana and take on entire groups of enemies. In Unity after I've only gotten a new sword I have no problem with large groups. The only thing that makes Unity a bit more difficult is that Ubisoft made gun enemies overpowered (their bullets travel through NPCs and enemies to hit you). With Syndicate I've read a number of people talking about how enemies are basically stab sponges (basically what would be a death stab in previous games is now just a normal attack, I've seen videos where a guy getting stabbed in the neck is still standing).

The combat to me just seems too easy (and now a bit more like the Batman games, which is probably even easier). Even if the story is decent (which it seems to be in Syndicate), it's hard to get excited about a game where a good portion of it is going to be just hitting the same three or four buttons over and over. Since I doubt they're ever going to completely revamp the system, to get me excited about an AC game as a new release, they need to add some time between games.

Not saying the game can't be fun, but I find the combat to be a real deterrent in being excited anymore about the games. It's a large part of the game and dealing with the same thing every year gets old. I'd like to play Syndicate but can't see myself doing that if they have another release planned next year (because I'd rather play that one). Even with Syndicate combat being slightly different, it's still going to be based on the same thing from the past eight games. I'm really hoping they go with a 2-3 year wait, but I'm not holding my breath (especially with their movie releasing next year).

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
It's pretty much like I said mate, if you know what to expect from the previous games in relating to the combat then don't expect a great difference but a more refined combat system with different equipment to use and different death animations. For me that was enough because I like the way the system works.

Alot of the time I've been playing I tend to play it more Stealth rather than going into an area and alerting everyone for a mass stab and slash fest (probably due to coming from MGS). Completing a full take over without being spotted, hiding the bodies and achieving the objectives with them not even knowing you're there is more rewarding than being in combat even though pinning someone to the wall with a blade throw is pretty bad ass lol

I didn't play Unity so it's almost been a 2 year break for me with Black Flag being a launch title so was ready to get back in the AC world and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Can completely understand people being tired of the system though if they're feeling exhausted with the series.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I'm definitely more of a stealth fan, but there's always those moments where a full on battle is required. There's one mission in Unity where you have to fight like 30 enemies at once. Even that is a breeze if you discount the gunners or glitch where you can no longer fight (one of the bugs the day one patched fixed in Syndicate but still exists in Unity that released a year ago... sigh).

Bhindi_Bhajji

Superior Member
Jun 5, 2006
I just started playing this, already better than Unity and I've only just liberated Whitechapel!

But even better than that, the twins are from my home town of Crawley!! I wonder if Ubisoft know what a shite hole it is!!

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I saw that on Reddit the other day. Definitely a nice touch. I saw one or two gameplay videos of the fighting system and they have some pretty cool finishers.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6484307]This is by far the best AC game to date. I love the variety of missions this game offers. I never thought I would be doing paranormal investigations in an Assassin's Creed game lol.

This is the first time since AC2 that I found myself interested in the story characters. The map is large, but not overwhelming. And I love how the map shows you the enemies level of difficulty for that area. This makes it easy for you to control the difficulty of the game. If you want a challenge, then you go to an area of the map that is leveled higher than yourself.

I really have nothing bad to say about this game. It is an amazing turnaround from the awful Unity game. Sort of like going from AC3 to Black Flag. I guess we can expect the next AC game to suck ass now.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. If AC: Syndicate came out at any other time of the year i probably would have picked it up already. I'll get it early next year for sure. Looking forward to another great AC game. Unity wasn't as bad as people made it sound but i understand the complaints people had with it.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6484312]I started to like it a little but then it got completely thrown off for me because of the stupid skill tree stuff.
If you want to make such a game and make it realistic, don't make a $#@!ty skill tree..

$#@! off -.-[/QUOTE]

It's a video game. Video games aren't real.

There is no human being in real life that has all the skills when they are born, we all have the capability to learn. You can look at the skill point system as a way your character is learning.

Last edited: