[OT] Bloodborne: feat. PSU's Bloodborne Review "Bleeding Brilliance'"

Justin

Elite Member
Jun 5, 2005
Canada
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6434900]Game is too fucking hard to be a 10/10 game!!! not fair![/QUOTE]

Is the game really that difficult? I haven't played it yet but plan to pick it up in the coming weeks. So far I haven't read a lot of negativity about the game being difficult. The word I see repeated is "challenging" with is never a bad thing.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="Justin, post: 6434939]Is the game really that difficult? I haven't played it yet but plan to pick it up in the coming weeks. So far I haven't read a lot of negativity about the game being difficult. The word I see repeated is "challenging" with is never a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

For a lazy ass gamer who needs his hand held, yes it is! Still is pretty awesome!

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="Justin, post: 6434939]Is the game really that difficult? I haven't played it yet but plan to pick it up in the coming weeks. So far I haven't read a lot of negativity about the game being difficult. The word I see repeated is "challenging" with is never a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

I beat it and i generally suck at games.
Beat Demons Souls and Dark Souls as well.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011

It is not so hard like Dark Souls, nowhere near Deamon souls. there is 10 times action as well. The map is also ten times better.

[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6434957]I beat it and i generally suck at games.
Beat Demons Souls and Dark Souls as well.[/QUOTE]
If u suck, I leave gaming today.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
Need as many answers as possible: Following patch 1.02 has anyone noticed that the technical issues with the game are far more apparent? Worse pop-in than ever, frame-rate hiccups and other stuff?

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
I'm thinking of getting Dark Souls now. Never played any in the series or Demon Souls. I heard they're extremely hard, but incredibly satisfying and unique from any other game ever made. Is Dark Souls like Bloodborne? Gameplay wise? One thing I don't like is turn-based RPG's. I wanna constantly press the attack and magic button if I have the chance, not wait around for it. Dark Souls I can roam and attack shit, right?!

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Yes the game play is very similar. Dark/Demons souls is a bit slower paced where you need to time your blocks correctly but ultimately it's about the same.

shepard

PSU Live Streamer
Dec 21, 2006
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6435055]How does this compare to Dark souls?[/QUOTE]

It is a faster paced Souls game. A tad bit more on the 'easy' side of things. But not by much. And by easy, all I mean is you can stack potions for days as opposed to having X number of potions only refill at bonfires. In this game you hold 20, anything you pick up over the max gets put into a storage that auto refills the 20 you hold on your person everytime you respawn.

One good thing for me in this game is it trained me how to roll and dodge. No shields in this game really. And I typically am a sword/board user in souls games. I love throwing up my shield and tanking a boss hit. Which made me suck at evasion tactics. Was a bit of a learning experience for me in this game, but I got better at it.

Last edited:

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
Was the Witch of Hemwick supposed to be really easy? She didn't attack me once. It was a nice change of pace though, after the Vicar was giving me headaches due to her hair blocking my view.

Shockwave

PSU Editor
Nov 11, 2007
Ireland
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6435383]Was the Witch of Hemwick supposed to be really easy? She didn't attack me once. It was a nice change of pace though, after the Vicar was giving me headaches due to her hair blocking my view.[/QUOTE]

I was exactly the same, maybe I was little overpowered for that particular area. I found a few of the bosses - Witches of Hemwick and some after - to be easy in comparison to the first few.

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
Did you guys luck out with the Witches and the summons didnt spawn? I died like 5 times to that boss because she kept summoning adds. Well anyway im level 110 and just beat Blood Starved Beast in New Game +.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6435426]Did you guys luck out with the Witches and the summons didnt spawn? I died like 5 times to that boss because she kept summoning adds. Well anyway im level 110 and just beat Blood Starved Beast in New Game +.[/QUOTE]
The summons did spawn, I just started avoiding them.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6435554]4 trophies left and the platinum is mine!!!![/QUOTE]
Good luck with that mate. Conversely, I've got just 4 so far :lol:

Have beaten Cleric Beast and Gascoigne now. Also the fella on the tower and the other hunter down below. Now I'm just exploring about more looking for the next boss and exploring the areas. Unlocked the Cathedral gate but there's some tough guys up them steps with big sticks who beat me earlier, will have to come back to that.

Great fun exploring and fighting though. Loving the level design so far, that's been pretty standout for me.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
Finally, I beat Father Gascoigne, what a pain in the butt that guy is if you don't use youtube or a book. ugh This is a game that makes me swear at the screen. Harder than hell and back.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
Yeah... So I can't deal with this game. I get it's really good but for a casual gamer like me... Nah. Too hard. Ain't got a clue what I'm doing and dont have the time!! Shame.

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6435742]Yeah... So I can't deal with this game. I get it's really good but for a casual gamer like me... Nah. Too hard. Ain't got a clue what I'm doing and dont have the time!! Shame.[/QUOTE]

Git Gud

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6435742]Yeah... So I can't deal with this game. I get it's really good but for a casual gamer like me... Nah. Too hard. Ain't got a clue what I'm doing and dont have the time!! Shame.[/QUOTE]

33x, you gotta be strong. Go play the game and kick some monster assholes in. You just gotta believe.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
Have been having my ass handed to me recently by Vicar Amelia and Blod-Starved Beast. Guess I need to up my game a bit. Gonna try again...

So I can get Amelia down to around 1/3 health then she starts healing herself and then I get stuck and shortly get killed :lol: such is the way I'm learning. Staying relatively close seems the key. Dodging some of those attacks though is tough!
She seems to have a weak left-wrist though
Going to try a few more times after I've had some lunch.

Last edited:

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I am still working on the "Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen" trophy.

By far the hardest damn trophy in this game. You have to go through all the Pthumerian Chalice dungeons to eventually reach this bitch queen. The dungeons become so painfully tough. I am on the last Chalice Dungeon now.

- MajorMajor

I found it helped out a lot to beckon someone to help me with some of the boss fights. Ring that bell and have someone help you out.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6435865]I found it helped out a lot to beckon someone to help me with some of the boss fights. Ring that bell and have someone help you out.[/QUOTE]
Thanks mate. I have been considering using that bell. Will persevere a little more before using it though.

Good luck with Chalice Dungeons.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="HellsJester, post: 6435772]Git Gud[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6435774]33x, you gotta be strong. Go play the game and kick some monster assholes in. You just gotta believe.[/QUOTE]

I tried, i played it for 3 hours last night! spent most of it getting fucked up and not going anywhere!

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I had to kill Mother Brain in order to get the living string. A required piece of material needed to open the final chalice dungeon.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6435889]I tried, i played it for 3 hours last night! spent most of it getting $#@!ed up and not going anywhere![/QUOTE]

where are you at in the game?

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="Bigdoggy, post: 6435920]where are you at in the game?[/QUOTE]
Came out if the castle. After getting killed by a dog thingy as I had no weapons. The woke up outside where I was given tips and an axe and pistol. Managed to get back in the house. Killed the thingy. Went outside.... Walked around for a bit. Got fucked up. Killed a few baddies. Walked to a bit where there was like some sort of fire sacrifice and a big door with summit trying to get in the other side....

I gave up.

Game needs some sort of guide on where to go.....

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6435959]Came out if the castle. After getting killed by a dog thingy as I had no weapons. The woke up outside where I was given tips and an axe and pistol. Managed to get back in the house. Killed the thingy. Went outside.... Walked around for a bit. Got fucked up. Killed a few baddies. Walked to a bit where there was like some sort of fire sacrifice and a big door with summit trying to get in the other side....

I gave up.

Game needs some sort of guide on where to go.....[/QUOTE]
I had this exact same experience for the first few hours, but I just went with the mystery. After opening a gate or 2 I started to find my feet and understand how the game plays. Very engaging learning experience I've had with Bloodborne so far. I'd say it definitely rewards perseverance.

I've been struggling to beat vicar Amelia for the last few days but put her down just an hour ago, thank goodness, she's tough! Took around 20-30 attempts I think, not sure exactly.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6435959]Came out if the castle. After getting killed by a dog thingy as I had no weapons. The woke up outside where I was given tips and an axe and pistol. Managed to get back in the house. Killed the thingy. Went outside.... Walked around for a bit. Got $#@!ed up. Killed a few baddies. Walked to a bit where there was like some sort of fire sacrifice and a big door with summit trying to get in the other side....

I gave up.

Game needs some sort of guide on where to go.....[/QUOTE]

Exploration is your guide. The beginning of the game is the hardest. Once you understand, and come up with a game plan, you will be rewarded. The game is a mix of frustration and rewards.